Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 - Bolts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Why do I get the feeling that we'll get lit up by San Jose and the streak comes to an end? :laugh:

The games we lost we actually played very good in. That San Jose game we sucked the 1st period but took over after that and Blackwood was very good. The Chicago lost we hit I think 6 posts that game.

Win or lose we seem to be controlling the games for the most part

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I cheered for guys on my fantasy replay teams for 15 years, going as far as to get their jerseys on occasion. My first big poker tourney win in 2000, I was probably the only person who was ever in Regina in a Guy Carbonneau Dallas Stars jersey. :P but yeah, friends and family (even those in winnipeg) told me I should just admit defeat and take a new team. Held out for 15 years. They were the first ones I called from the Forks back in 2011 back on Jetsmas Day.

The NHL was dead to me from 96 to 2011.

I never thought Winnipeg would get a 2nd chance. The circumstances in 2011 were a very unlikely case of the stars aligning. Even then I was skeptical until the sale of the high priced season tickets. That made me a believer and I jumped on board.

I can understand people who grew up in Ontario being Leafs fans for life. Childhood attachments are strong. I can even almost understand fans of Original 6 teams who were fans of those teams when they were the ONLY 6 hanging on. But that was 59 years ago. There can't be too many of those left. :laugh:

What I can't understand is fans who adopted a team arbitrarily because they didn't have a real team of their own who stay loyal to those teams. Why are there so many Flyers fans in Winnipeg FCS? Come on people, those were never really your teams. Let them go and embrace a team that belongs to you.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
TSN said the Jets are only the 3rd team since expansion (1967) to go 26 games allowing 3 or less goals. I wonder what the record is for consecutive games allowing 3 or fewer.
For 22 consecutive seasons, the league average SV% was below .900. (72-73 through 93-94). It dipped below .900 one more time in 95-96. So for a couple of decades, it would've been very tough to set a record like that. Take a look at a random mid-80s game night in the NHL: NHL Scores | Feb 19, 1985 | NHL.com - the lowest scoring game was 5-2. 4 out of the 6 games that night had 12 or more goals scored!

Anyway, the Wild went 35 games in 2014-15 and the Blues went 27 games in 2011-12 when the average NHL SV% were .915 and .914 respectively - the highest and 2nd highest marks since expansion (and only exceeded by the .919 league average in 55-56 before the advent of curved sticks).

Edit: I should point out the current NHL average SV% is .903. Stats from Hockey Reference: NHL League Averages | Hockey-Reference.com

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

I never thought Winnipeg would get a 2nd chance. The circumstances in 2011 were a very unlikely case of the stars aligning. Even then I was skeptical until the sale of the high priced season tickets. That made me a believer and I jumped on board.

I can understand people who grew up in Ontario being Leafs fans for life. Childhood attachments are strong. I can even almost understand fans of Original 6 teams who were fans of those teams when they were the ONLY 6 hanging on. But that was 59 years ago. There can't be too many of those left. :laugh:

What I can't understand is fans who adopted a team arbitrarily because they didn't have a real team of their own who stay loyal to those teams. Why are there so many Flyers fans in Winnipeg FCS? Come on people, those were never really your teams. Let them go and embrace a team that belongs to you.
I do hate to mention this so if you're older than me, stop reading now.

I was three/four when the Jets left and had no real memories of 1.0. I'm 31 now - picked the Flames as my team because I loved Iggy and they had the '04 run.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I was at the game with my woman and I am so impressed with the Jets 5-on-5 play.

Tampa was getting very frustrated with the Jets smothering them as the game went on.

When was the last time the Jets swept all 4 games against Florida based teams?

Kyle Connor is skating again.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
IF that was the case, I don't think Chipman makes that mistake again either.

I make it 3 years too long with Maurice. He was even given an extension during that period IIRC.

Pomo resigned in 2021. You think he should have been fired right after making the conference final in 2018?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was a true-blue Jets fan when they left and told the NHL and Bettman , take my team and the NHL can f*** right off. Never watched another game until they came back, tried going to a few Moose games but it was such a step down in hockey i just didn't really get into the Moose , it reminded me of playing that old hockey game with the handles sliding up and down and the puck would get stuck in the corner and you would have to tip the whole game to get the puck back in play .:laugh: So happy we have them back.:thumbu:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

From what I've seen in the crowd (very very unscientific analysis), many of the fans of a few of these teams (like the Flyers) are indigenous. Seeing as these teams have had some pioneers on them (Reggie Leach for instance), it could be a case of following a player or players and therefore loving the team? It could be that their family always cheered for, say the Flyers, and they naturally picked up that tradition?

Just me riffin'

Great to see this. Dude looks quick!
Yessss very speedy? I wonder what his chances are of making the team?

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
The NHL was also dead to me from 1996 to 2011. Except when a game was on TV when I was in a bar or someone else's house, I did not watch any games during that time, and there was no way in hell I was going to adopt another team. My life ended up a lot better with hockey during those years, as it gave me so much more free time for other, more interesting things.

I did put a curse on the NHL when the Jets left, which was really only a joke, of course, yet it's held now for almost 30 years. My curse was that no Canadian team would win the Stanley Cup until Winnipeg had an NHL team again, and then only after the Jets won a Cup. So far, it's worked, and I chuckle about it to this day.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The NHL was also dead to me from 1996 to 2011. Except when a game was on TV when I was in a bar or someone else's house, I did not watch any games during that time, and there was no way in hell I was going to adopt another team. My life ended up a lot better with hockey during those years, as it gave me so much more free time for other, more interesting things.

I did put a curse on the NHL when the Jets left, which was really only a joke, of course, yet it's held now for almost 30 years. My curse was that no Canadian team would win the Stanley Cup until Winnipeg had an NHL team again, and then only after the Jets won a Cup. So far, it's worked, and I chuckle about it to this day.
:laugh:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Not arbitrary at all, there has long been a healthy Flyers fan base in Manitoba due to three of their legends being Manitobans: Reggie Leach, Bobby Clarke and Ron Hextall. Then fandom is often "inherited" by the next gen. I cheered for them in the 80s because I liked Hextall and they met the Oilers a couple times in the finals.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not arbitrary at all, there has long been a healthy Flyers fan base in Manitoba due to three of their legends being Manitobans: Reggie Leach, Bobby Clarke and Ron Hextall. Then fandom is often "inherited" by the next gen. I cheered for them in the 80s because I liked Hextall and they met the Oilers a couple times in the finals.

OK, take issue with the use of the word arbitrary. I suppose some would say that supporting the home team is arbitrary.

Were they your #1 team in the 80s? Cheering for a 2nd or even 3rd team when the home team is not involved is entirely different than attending Jets home games decked out in Flyers gear and cheering for the visitors.

Its a tribal thing for me. I cheer for Winnipeg. I cheer for Manitoba. I cheer for Canada. After that, I can pick anyone to adopt until Canada, Manitoba or Winnipeg are back in it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From what I've seen in the crowd (very very unscientific analysis), many of the fans of a few of these teams (like the Flyers) are indigenous. Seeing as these teams have had some pioneers on them (Reggie Leach for instance), it could be a case of following a player or players and therefore loving the team? It could be that their family always cheered for, say the Flyers, and they naturally picked up that tradition?

Just me riffin'

Yessss very speedy? I wonder what his chances are of making the team?

I know there are lots of reasons for supporting certain other teams. I don't have to like it.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pomo resigned in 2021. You think he should have been fired right after making the conference final in 2018?

Nope. Right after the 2019 PO collapse. He resigned midway through the '22 season so 2.5 seasons too long, not 3. 20, 21, half of 22.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
OK, take issue with the use of the word arbitrary. I suppose some would say that supporting the home team is arbitrary.

Were they your #1 team in the 80s? Cheering for a 2nd or even 3rd team when the home team is not involved is entirely different than attending Jets home games decked out in Flyers gear and cheering for the visitors.

Its a tribal thing for me. I cheer for Winnipeg. I cheer for Manitoba. I cheer for Canada. After that, I can pick anyone to adopt until Canada, Manitoba or Winnipeg are back in it.
No Jets were #1, and this is also when I was 10-12 yrs old so like a cool jersey could make me a fan of something lol. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I understand how there are fans of different teams showing up at games. I think my original point was due to the attendance issues we have had this season, I'm not going to complain if non Jets fans are buying tickets and going to the games. If they are going solely to cheer against the Jets, let them. They are wasting their money anyways, since Jets are likely to win.

• Love
Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I do hate to mention this so if you're older than me, stop reading now.

I was three/four when the Jets left and had no real memories of 1.0. I'm 31 now - picked the Flames as my team because I loved Iggy and they had the '04 run.

:laugh: I have underwear older than you.

Sure, lots of people adopted teams during the hiatus. No problem - as long as you shuffled them down when the Jets returned.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Everyone has a cool story of why they became a fan of certain teams ... where does it say you have to cheer for the home team?
I became a hockey fan in 1967 watching the Leafs they had a great and exciting team to watch plus Pete Stemkowski was from Winnipeg and his parents lived down the street. The Leafs won the Stanley Cup that year too but once the WHA Jets came to town 5 years later I became a WHA and Jet fan.
I too stopped watching the NHL once the Jets left Winnipeg but I did take my boys to a few NHL games Canucks/Coyotes to give them the experience of a live NHL game.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: