Speculation: Isles Potential Trade Targets at D/G

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Kuli is out for the season. Should be on LTIR.

I saw he was injured on cap friendly, but didn't know he was out for the season. Thanks.

It's not this year's salary that's a concern... if you take Clutterbuck, it can be done.

How's Clutterbuck doing? If OK, combo the Lehner and Bogosian deals, and lower the cost for the Isles (since I do agree with Isles fans that the initial prices were too high).

Lehner and Bogosian for Pulock, Halak, and Clutterbuck. No other picks or prospects.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
How's Clutterbuck doing? If OK, combo the Lehner and Bogosian deals, and lower the cost for the Isles (since I do agree with Isles fans that the initial prices were too high).

Lehner and Bogosian for Pulock, Halak, and Clutterbuck. No other picks or prospects.

Not worth it Der Jaeger, Clutterbuck is at 3.5mil for 5 more years, Bogo is at 5.1 for 3 more years. 1.6 mil in saving isn't worth 3.5x2 in 3 years.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not worth it Der Jaeger, Clutterbuck is at 3.5mil for 5 more years, Bogo is at 5.1 for 3 more years. 1.6 mil in saving isn't worth 3.5x2 in 3 years.

I'm throwing that trade out there contingent on how Clutterbuck is playing. I haven't seen him consistently in a few years.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The Greiss/Halak tandem is a vortex of suck for this team right now, and the defense beyond Leddy/Boychuk is inconsistent. I've identified what I believe are some potential trade targets for them to improve on both to make this team a serious threat to compete for the Cup. I'd like to know what realistically would get any of these players.

Goalies
Robin Lehner - RFA at end of season

This seems like an easy one - the Sabres should be selling anything that isn't bolted to the ground. I assume Buffalo will need a goalie going back. Halak + NYI 2nd?

Anders Nilsson - UFA in 2019

I think his numbers and play dictate that he should get more playing time than Vancouver wants to give him. I'd love to get him from Vancouver and give him a shot to take the starter's reins in NY. They'd need a goalie going back so they can let Demko stay in the AHL for the rest of this season.

Halak + CGY 2nd + a mid-level D prospect, such as Mitchell VandeSompel?

Aaron Dell - UFA at end of season

I have no idea what SJ would want for him, or even if they'd want to part ways with him, given how steady he has been for them. Again, I assume Halak would have to go back as they'd need a backup, but the Isles would have to eat some salary.

Halak (50% retained) + CGY 2nd + NYI 3rd?

Defense

Niklas Hjalmarsson - UFA in 2019

He's exactly what the Isles need on the 2nd pair. Arizona would need futures and a d-man coming back.

Pulock + one of the 2nd round picks?

Zach Bogosian - UFA in 2020

I'm concerned about his injury history, but if Buffalo is willing to retain 30% to bring his cap down to 3.6m/year, I think it'd be a worthwhile gamble. At worst, he's a steady #5 d-man when healthy.

Pulock + Mitch Vande Sompel?

Cody Ceci - RFA after season

Ottawa fans seem to have soured on him, but I wouldn't mind him at all on the 2nd pairing. Again, Pulock would be the centerpiece of the deal as he could slot in and has future value

Pulock + CGY 2nd?

You have no idea how much it warming my heart to see trades based around Halak + 2nd + a nothing player.
If really brings me back to the good ol' days of HFboards.
Any chance you guys can sign Ryder, just for the Lol's? :laugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Even if he's good now, he's 30. He'll be 35 at his contract's end

I get that. But the Sabres also need locker room help. Clutterbuck is a meat and potatoes lower line hitter. He wears an A for the Isles. He'll end up being an older, slightly overpaid version of Foligno, but if he helps change the room, I'm good with that.

Reactions: IODCPiper

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I can't think of a single time where a goaltending tandem was really successful. Stop flip-flopping between Halak and Greiss. I don't even care which guy gets the job, but pick one. Tell everyone that this guy is the #1 moving forward, let him play through any struggles, and see what he can do.

I would bet that either guy would play better that way. No need to make a trade, just make up your mind.

Reactions: LI2RVA

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
With goaltenders, it needs to be a sizable upgrade over Greiss for us to remotely consider it.

Sorokin+1st for Varly?
Greiss+1st for Howard?

Atrocious value in a strong 2018 draft. Absolutely atrocious.

Reactions: SI90 and sebsisles

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
Who are your current RHD and RHD prospects? Also is there a side you would be looking for more LHD or RHD?

I ask this because I've been thinking about a proposal from the CBJ to the NYI for about... 5ish days. I will start by saying I know there are 0% of Isles fans that want to trade Tavares. This deal is ONLY if Tavares tells management at the deadline he is not signing after this year. So if he's signing long term with you guys this is just a fun proposal in a alternate universe where he agrees to a sign and trade to the CBJ.

Proposal-
Wennberg, Savard, Milano, 1st, and 3rd/Goalie not named Bob (added this because you mentioned goalie help)

For

Tavares and maybe a Dman roster or prospect.

Wennberg is only 23 I think and on a great contract. Has gotten better every year since coming into the league. Numbers are lower this year but everyone on the teams is. He played hurt to start the year and finally had to miss a few games to get 100% and our PP is league worst so that also hurts his numbers but he's a long term projected 1b or higher end 2C. In the fantasy you have to lose JT but Wennberg coming back softens that blow big time and keeps your center depth good. Barzal takes over that #1 spot and thrives.

Savard is only like 25/26ish and is on a beauty of a contract in the low 4mil range. He is a prototypical #3 But has played top pair before and looked like he belonged. He is also a RHD which seems to be the valuable side these days. He has become a stud shut down defender. He was over +30 last year with 0 PP time.

Milano has 5 goals this year and is ready to play. The problem here is that Torts feels it's not fair to Sonny to put him in the line up if he's not getting top 6 minutes because he's a scorer and he wants to put him in the best situations to do his job but we have 3 30g LW and the other is Calvert who is one of the best 3rd liners and pkers in the game. We can' play him over Foligno, Panarin or Jenner either!! But when he has been in he is a beast in the offensive zone and I think he would thrive with a guy like Barzal and if he were to be able to get on a line with ho sang one day I honestly would be on the edge of my seat watching for what they do because they both have tons of flair with the puck.

The 1st and 3rd are just that picks and I mentioned goalie because you are looking but if you want something else and use this deal for other futures great!!

What do you think? You can make adjustments to the pieces if you would like. Im trying to keep the main pieces of Wennberg and Savard though. The rest we can play with. Again this is only a trade in an alternate universe where he said he isnt singing there long term sontheybare Trading him at the TDL =)
thanks for the essay but no.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So what are the parts that make it a no and what makes it a yes? Again the conversation is based on if he leaves so if you guys get him long term it's just a fun talk.

There's a lot of chatter on the Isles board that we've been awarded the Belmont bid. Almost everyone claiming sources is saying things are wrapping up soon, and one website has already declared us as winning the bid.

New home on Long Island = Tavares feels comfortable re-signing.

Now is the worst possible time to gauge his value as a UFA.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I like the idea of Pickard as an upside opportunity but otherwise these G options are meh.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
So what are the parts that make it a no and what makes it a yes? Again the conversation is based on if he leaves so if you guys get him long term it's just a fun talk.
I would def consider the offer. I doubt Garth would want the possibility of JT staying in division though.

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
The Greiss/Halak tandem is a vortex of suck for this team right now, and the defense beyond Leddy/Boychuk is inconsistent. I've identified what I believe are some potential trade targets for them to improve on both to make this team a serious threat to compete for the Cup. I'd like to know what realistically would get any of these players.

Goalies
Robin Lehner - RFA at end of season

This seems like an easy one - the Sabres should be selling anything that isn't bolted to the ground. I assume Buffalo will need a goalie going back. Halak + NYI 2nd?

Anders Nilsson - UFA in 2019

I think his numbers and play dictate that he should get more playing time than Vancouver wants to give him. I'd love to get him from Vancouver and give him a shot to take the starter's reins in NY. They'd need a goalie going back so they can let Demko stay in the AHL for the rest of this season.

Halak + CGY 2nd + a mid-level D prospect, such as Mitchell VandeSompel?

Aaron Dell - UFA at end of season

I have no idea what SJ would want for him, or even if they'd want to part ways with him, given how steady he has been for them. Again, I assume Halak would have to go back as they'd need a backup, but the Isles would have to eat some salary.

Halak (50% retained) + CGY 2nd + NYI 3rd?

Defense

Niklas Hjalmarsson - UFA in 2019

He's exactly what the Isles need on the 2nd pair. Arizona would need futures and a d-man coming back.

Pulock + one of the 2nd round picks?

Zach Bogosian - UFA in 2020

I'm concerned about his injury history, but if Buffalo is willing to retain 30% to bring his cap down to 3.6m/year, I think it'd be a worthwhile gamble. At worst, he's a steady #5 d-man when healthy.

Pulock + Mitch Vande Sompel?

Cody Ceci - RFA after season

Ottawa fans seem to have soured on him, but I wouldn't mind him at all on the 2nd pairing. Again, Pulock would be the centerpiece of the deal as he could slot in and has future value

Pulock + CGY 2nd?

Did you seriously just offer Pulock & MVS for Bososian?! Am I missing something?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't see the Sabres trading Scandella. They need about three more of him.

Kuemper has been terrific in LA, and shouldn't be that expensive to acquire. He's always had talent, but maybe has finally put it together this year?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
There's a lot of chatter on the Isles board that we've been awarded the Belmont bid. Almost everyone claiming sources is saying things are wrapping up soon, and one website has already declared us as winning the bid.

New home on Long Island = Tavares feels comfortable re-signing.

Now is the worst possible time to gauge his value as a UFA.
I understand the situation I was just saying that for whatever reason JT decides in an alternate universe that at the TDL he says you should trade me and get assets for me because I'm not coming back. Would the offer made be fair?

I would def consider the offer. I doubt Garth would want the possibility of JT staying in division though.
Thank you for giving my post a chance I just had back surgery and this idea first popped in my head in the hospital because Its giving a shitload of very valuable pieces up and helps the isles immediately reload and helps the CBJ with the C posistion.

Reactions: IODCPiper

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I think SJ will be looking for a similar return to talbot a few years ago. Pretty similar situations/quality of players. Deller is awesome and I'd love to keep him, but I think he deserves the chance to be a starter somewhere.

He did just do an interview a week or so ago about staying in SJ and he said he has a lot of respect for SJ because they told him they'd give him a shot in the NHL and they stuck to their word.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Scandella or Hjalmarsson would help

Both of these would be good targets for the Isles to round out the middle pair

For the OP, other then Lehner, i dont think any of those goalies really help us. Would rather package Halak +picks/prospect for Howard. I think Howard/Greiss would be a good tandem and give Soderstrom a year in the A next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad