Speculation: Isles Potential Trade Targets at D/G

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The Greiss/Halak tandem is a vortex of suck for this team right now, and the defense beyond Leddy/Boychuk is inconsistent. I've identified what I believe are some potential trade targets for them to improve on both to make this team a serious threat to compete for the Cup. I'd like to know what realistically would get any of these players.

Goalies
Robin Lehner - RFA at end of season

This seems like an easy one - the Sabres should be selling anything that isn't bolted to the ground. I assume Buffalo will need a goalie going back. Halak + NYI 2nd?

Anders Nilsson - UFA in 2019

I think his numbers and play dictate that he should get more playing time than Vancouver wants to give him. I'd love to get him from Vancouver and give him a shot to take the starter's reins in NY. They'd need a goalie going back so they can let Demko stay in the AHL for the rest of this season.

Halak + CGY 2nd + a mid-level D prospect, such as Mitchell VandeSompel?

Aaron Dell - UFA at end of season

I have no idea what SJ would want for him, or even if they'd want to part ways with him, given how steady he has been for them. Again, I assume Halak would have to go back as they'd need a backup, but the Isles would have to eat some salary.

Halak (50% retained) + CGY 2nd + NYI 3rd?

Defense

Niklas Hjalmarsson - UFA in 2019

He's exactly what the Isles need on the 2nd pair. Arizona would need futures and a d-man coming back.

Pulock + one of the 2nd round picks?

Zach Bogosian - UFA in 2020

I'm concerned about his injury history, but if Buffalo is willing to retain 30% to bring his cap down to 3.6m/year, I think it'd be a worthwhile gamble. At worst, he's a steady #5 d-man when healthy.

Pulock + Mitch Vande Sompel?

Cody Ceci - RFA after season

Ottawa fans seem to have soured on him, but I wouldn't mind him at all on the 2nd pairing. Again, Pulock would be the centerpiece of the deal as he could slot in and has future value

Pulock + CGY 2nd?
Every Single One Of These Are Terrible For The Isles

Thank God Youre Not Our Gm

Nilsson Was A Former Isle Who Stunk It Up When He Was Here.

Id lay off sniffing glue before making trade proposals

Have you not heard it takes defenders time to mature?Pulock just needs to gain experience and Weight is bringing him along slowly. Like he did pelech last season

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The OP does not represent Garth Snow or anyone related to the islanders be forewarned We fired Mike Milbury Years Ago.

Drugs And Alcohol Is A Dangerous Combination

Reactions: IODCPiper

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Who are your current RHD and RHD prospects? Also is there a side you would be looking for more LHD or RHD?

I ask this because I've been thinking about a proposal from the CBJ to the NYI for about... 5ish days. I will start by saying I know there are 0% of Isles fans that want to trade Tavares. This deal is ONLY if Tavares tells management at the deadline he is not signing after this year. So if he's signing long term with you guys this is just a fun proposal in a alternate universe where he agrees to a sign and trade to the CBJ.

Proposal-
Wennberg, Savard, Milano, 1st, and 3rd/Goalie not named Bob (added this because you mentioned goalie help)

For

Tavares and maybe a Dman roster or prospect.

Wennberg is only 23 I think and on a great contract. Has gotten better every year since coming into the league. Numbers are lower this year but everyone on the teams is. He played hurt to start the year and finally had to miss a few games to get 100% and our PP is league worst so that also hurts his numbers but he's a long term projected 1b or higher end 2C. In the fantasy you have to lose JT but Wennberg coming back softens that blow big time and keeps your center depth good. Barzal takes over that #1 spot and thrives.

Savard is only like 25/26ish and is on a beauty of a contract in the low 4mil range. He is a prototypical #3 But has played top pair before and looked like he belonged. He is also a RHD which seems to be the valuable side these days. He has become a stud shut down defender. He was over +30 last year with 0 PP time.

Milano has 5 goals this year and is ready to play. The problem here is that Torts feels it's not fair to Sonny to put him in the line up if he's not getting top 6 minutes because he's a scorer and he wants to put him in the best situations to do his job but we have 3 30g LW and the other is Calvert who is one of the best 3rd liners and pkers in the game. We can' play him over Foligno, Panarin or Jenner either!! But when he has been in he is a beast in the offensive zone and I think he would thrive with a guy like Barzal and if he were to be able to get on a line with ho sang one day I honestly would be on the edge of my seat watching for what they do because they both have tons of flair with the puck.

The 1st and 3rd are just that picks and I mentioned goalie because you are looking but if you want something else and use this deal for other futures great!!

What do you think? You can make adjustments to the pieces if you would like. Im trying to keep the main pieces of Wennberg and Savard though. The rest we can play with. Again this is only a trade in an alternate universe where he said he isnt singing there long term sontheybare Trading him at the TDL =)
Again.Isles like their Belmont chances and according to a recent McKenzie comment everyone from front office to the coaching staff to the players expects Tavares to sign an extension.

If Columbus gets Tavares, it will be off the ufa market.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The OP does not represent Garth Snow or anyone related to the islanders be forewarned We fired Mike Milbury Years Ago.

Drugs And Alcohol Is A Dangerous Combination
Lol..I agree
Isles fans get po"d at Snow because most of his moves are quiet or low Key

Staple has about as much credibility as any reporter writing about the nyi.

He wrote early in the season Snow would shop the higher of his two 1st rounders. Then 1-2 days ago said he thought the isles would be shopping for a puck moving D and if they could not land that D,would look for a forward.

Fans expecting a big trade that moves multiple top youngsters or both 1st are gonna be disappointed again.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think Markstrom and Gudbranson would be a perfect fit for isles.

Markstrom has had amazing success w. Utica and is familar w. The community.

Guddy is a stay at home Dman that will allow guys like tavares eberle barzal to play bigger.
Isles reportedly want a puck mover.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I wouldn't deal Ceci for Pulock and a 2nd unless it's a given that this season is lost for Ottawa.
Also if that is the case I'd ask for Pelech instead of Pulock with a lower pick if the 2nd is a no-go.
Isles are not moving Pelech,who they just signed to a team friendly, 4 yr deal.
Ceci is NOT some big improvement on Pelech.

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
Ceci would stabilize your second pairing.

No he wouldn't. Ceci is a bottom pairing defenseman, and barely at that. He'd be much of the same as the current group of underperformers with the exception of Leddy.

The Isles offense, which was #1 in the NHL going into last night's game, makes the team a true contender. However, their high-flying style is not going to be as effective in the tight-checking playoffs. They need a D and a G.

I think the best option is AZ with OEL and Raanta in a package deal. Now that's going to require giving up huge pieces of NYI's future, but it would be an all-in move that improves the areas of concern. I'd give up a bit including: 1st NYI, 1st CAL, JHS, Beavillier, Pulock, Pelech, Sorokin, Sodertrom. Basically I would tell AZ for OEL and Raanta they could pick four of whichever these assets they want, and hope Toronto doesn't match with a Marner + Liljegren type of proposal which may be more valuable to AZ.

MattyW

Jul 28, 2005
Strong Island
Why are pretenders buying for a Cup ”run”?

Nice attempt to trigger, but here are the cold hard facts:
- NYI is 2nd in the NHL with 3.67 goals per game (second only to TB, who only moved above NYI in that stat thanks to the horrendous defense and goalie play of the NYI in the game vs TB last night)
- NYI is 29th in the NHL with 3.39 goals against per game.
- Of the top-10 teams in goals for, the NYI have the second lowest goal differential

The conclusion is that the team has a high powered offense, and even average goaltending will go along way to alleviating the last stat. If they even just get the GAA under 3.00, they would be 2nd amongst the top-10 in goal differential.

No one is arguing about a Cup run; we're not even 30 games into the season. Isles fans are lamenting the terrible defense and goaltending while speculating about how to fix it with trades. If they do fix it, there's no doubt the Isles are a contender with their dynamic offensive skill. But it's a big IF.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If the Islanders want a puckmover give us a 2018 first and a prospect (no bluechipper) and you can have Green.

We will retain salary as well.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Again.Isles like their Belmont chances and according to a recent McKenzie comment everyone from front office to the coaching staff to the players expects Tavares to sign an extension.

If Columbus gets Tavares, it will be off the ufa market.
What's the problem with just discussing it for value sake? I said it's only if he says I'm not staying to Give them a heads up so they can get something for him. Why not enjoy a little fun discussing a fair for both teams trade. It's not like discussing that scenario hurts anyone.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Varlamov. Make a thread.

Halak
NYI 1st
Sorokin/Soderstrom
Vande Sompel

Sure. Avs will even retain 50%.

I'm an Avalanche fan who thinks Varlamov is near god like. His stats haven't looked great but his abilities between the pipes are insane. He keeps the Avalanche in close games they have no business being in. However, this is an overpayment for him. He's a UFA in a year and a half and has a history of groin injuries.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They could probably get Calvin Pickard for relatively cheap.

25 year old goalie
0.933 save % in the AHL this season
0.914 career NHL save % over 86 games

Those 86 NHL games are spread over three seasons, two of which he had a 0.922 and 0.932 save % (though only through 20 & 16 games respectively). 50 games last year he had a 0.904 save %, but that was on the historically bad Colorado Avalanche. Varlamov also had a career low save % last year which was lower than Pickard's.

He's obviously not a sure thing, but he's not a terrible bet either.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What's the problem with just discussing it for value sake? I said it's only if he says I'm not staying to Give them a heads up so they can get something for him. Why not enjoy a little fun discussing a fair for both teams trade. It's not like discussing that scenario hurts anyone.

In the last few days, one of the nyi 2 competitors in the arena bidding dropped out.
Isles like their proposal,like their chances of extending Tavares.

According to an early season report,the isles told teams not to bother calling till after Jan 30, 2018. N.Y. state's decision may have been announced by then.
I believe we have already had the Columbus offer in the mega Tavares thread.Why repeat the same arguments? Isles fans don't want several lesser pieces for their 27 yr old franchise center.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Wish I could dislike this entire thread from a NYI point of view. The ideas that Robin Lehner or Jimmy Howard will solve NYI's problem are purely reactive. These goaltenders are no miracle workers. It's not at all clear to me that either are significantly better than what NYI have got.

The defenders in this thread? Meh. Green would be good as a deadline acquisition, but not as NYI's top need. A legitimate top pairing D-man would be great, but there's no evidence any are available.

What NYI need desperately is a 3rd line center. The combined losses of Cizikas and Kulemin have crippled how NYI match up against top opponent lines at ES and have totally decimated the PK.

NYI need a bottom-6 center and winger. PK aces highly preferred. Now that MTL has climbed back in it this is a non-suggestion. But if they were still way behind, I think Plekanec would be the best fit. He would stabilize NYI's forward corps. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen with the crappy Atlantic division.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If the Islanders want a puckmover give us a 2018 first and a prospect (no bluechipper) and you can have Green.

We will retain salary as well.
I would like to wait, let's see which teams fall out the playoff races and who is available at the TDL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad