Speculation: Isles Potential Trade Targets at D/G

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Wish I could dislike this entire thread from a NYI point of view. The ideas that Robin Lehner or Jimmy Howard will solve NYI's problem are purely reactive. These goaltenders are no miracle workers. It's not at all clear to me that either are significantly better than what NYI have got.

The defenders in this thread? Meh. Green would be good as a deadline acquisition, but not as NYI's top need. A legitimate top pairing D-man would be great, but there's no evidence any are available.

What NYI need desperately is a 3rd line center. The combined losses of Cizikas and Kulemin have crippled how NYI match up against top opponent lines at ES and have totally decimated the PK.

NYI need a bottom-6 centre and winger. PK aces highly preferred. Now that MTL has climbed back in it this is a non-suggestion. But if they were still way behind, I think Plekanec would be the best fit. He would stabilize NYI's forward corps. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen with the crappy Atlantic division.
Not now, but maybe once the Canucks know if they are going to go for it how bout Nillson and sutter retained for A first. Calgary's Sutter has been amazing shutting down teams 5on5 and the pk. plus he can play top 6 is A proven 15-20 goal scorer. And . if its your first. throw in A blue chip rhd. In either case we may have to add. We have a lot off guys this year who have shown they are top 6 players, but with what we have coming next year I'm starting to think that Sven and Granny don't fit in Goldy Dhalen Petterson Gaudette Lind OJ Kane? Gadovich?maybe We might be better selling high on both. Sven has already shown he is top 6 and keeps improving. Last year Granny was asked to play an offensive role and ran with it. dido this year on D very very versatile guy also kills pk. With Bo out, i am hoping with Bo out Sven Granny and Vaneck put up a lot of points ti increase their value. Also, hope the goalies play lights out to improve their stock

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not now, but maybe once the Canucks know if they are going to go for it how bout Nillson and sutter retained for A first. Calgary's Sutter has been amazing shutting down teams 5on5 and the pk. plus he can play top 6 is A proven 15-20 goal scorer. And . if its your first. throw in A blue chip rhd. In either case we may have to add. We have a lot off guys this year who have shown they are top 6 players, but with what we have coming next year I'm starting to think that Sven and Granny don't fit in Goldy Dhalen Petterson Gaudette Lind OJ Kane? Gadovich?maybe We might be better selling high on both. Sven has already shown he is top 6 and keeps improving. Last year Granny was asked to play an offensive role and ran with it. dido this year on D very very versatile guy also kills pk. With Bo out, i am hoping with Bo out Sven Granny and Vaneck put up a lot of points ti increase their value. Also, hope the goalies play lights out to improve their stock

Two things:

(i) I do not believe Anders Nilsson and NYI parted ways on good terms. I don't think either party would look to rejoin.
(ii) 2013 Brandon Sutter would be very attractive, no doubt. From what I've seen of him lately, he's not the same player.

In short, Brandon Sutter with salary retained is a potential option. But the only reason he would have any value is salary retention. Probably the only reason I'm not rejecting it out of hand is that it'd be a home-town boy scenario. Still, it's not going to involve a first rounder.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
And if the Nucks do trade him or Marky at the TDL. and both are playing like this or better with the way so many teams need A reliable backup this year It will easily cost A first. More then half the league is in goaltending trouble. Gonna be A feeding frenzy, usually, goalies go for a 3rd round or higher, Not this year.

A Coyotes-Sabres Stanley Cup final this year is more likely than Anders Nilsson returning a 1st in a strong draft.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lots of Eastern teams let their goalie play through a rough patch. Philly just lost 10 in a row and only let Neuvirth play 2 of them, sticking with Elliott. 4 of those losses he let in 5 goals. But some of those games weren't on him, so they stuck with him and now the whole team is playing better. And there's no goalie controversy.

Andersen had a terrible start to the season, as he did last year. In the middle of the rough patch he had a 3.6 GAA and .890 S%, but they stuck with him. Now he's only had 2 regulation losses in his last like 12 games, with a sparkling .922 S%.

Scott Darling has only 1 regulation win in his last 6 games (1 in relief). But it seems Carolina is sticking with him.

I understand what you're saying. The Islanders have had lots of goalie struggles since DiPietro. And I'm not even saying that just running with one of them is sure to work out. But Hasn't the Halak/Greiss platoon/tandem plan already been proven to not work? Just like dozens of other goalie tandems failed in the past like Reimer/Bernier or Lehtinen/Niemi or Pavelec/Helebyuck (who sure looks good now that he's the man). Murray/Fleury worked better when one guy was just the guy, not splitting time. Why stick with a losing formula?

And the Flyers and Hurricanes are 2nd to last and last place in the metro respectively. On the outside looking in and we all know the percentage of teams that make the playoffs that aren't in when Thanksgiving rolls around.

Only the Leafs are still doing well, but look at their firepower. I wouldn't say our firepower is equivalent. Just saying that out of the three teams you mention, only one team is still in a playoff spot. Not good odds.

That being said, Halak usually gets better as the season goes on. I'm not flipping out about the goaltending situation like other fans on our boards, but I don't see a real reason to name another number 1 if nobody is deserving of it right now. Throw the bone into the grass and see what dog comes back with it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The same Jimmy Howard who gave up 5 goals in 9 shots against Montreal recently? No thanks

Your incredibly foolish logic was debunked when you PMed me about this. Detroit's defense absolutely left both Howard and Mrazek out to dry that game. Up until that point, Howard was posting a .920+ SV% with that very same defense, which is arguably the worst in the NHL.

Quit spitting out the same ignorant rhetoric and maybe watch a game. You clearly didn't watch that one.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Your incredibly foolish logic was debunked when you PMed me about this. Detroit's defense absolutely left both Howard and Mrazek out to dry that game. Up until that point, Howard was posting a .920+ SV% with that very same defense, which is arguably the worst in the NHL.

Quit spitting out the same ignorant rhetoric and maybe watch a game. You clearly didn't watch that one.
Give it up. As LeapOnOver pointed out Halak usually gets better as the season goes along.

And most importantly, Snow said a few days ago that the goalies have to work their way out of their funks, that he is NOT trading for a goalie.

Halak and the overall team D looked better in the last game (4-3 OT loss in Pitt,with 2 pp goals given up). Pulock played his best game of the season.It would be a surprise if he is moved. More likely to see picks + ahl D moved for D or a forward.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Give it up. As LeapOnOver pointed out Halak usually gets better as the season goes along.

And most importantly, Snow said a few days ago that the goalies have to work their way out of there funks, that he is NOT trading for a goalie.

Read the post? I never said the Isles should or shouldn't trade for Howard. I put to rest his ignorant claim based on reading stats rather than actually watching the game.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Yeah thanks for that. Truth is: Howard is no 1 goalie, Halak and Greiss are not. A first might be too much to give up but Islanders at least have two of those in the upcoming draft.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah thanks for that. Truth is: Howard is no 1 goalie, Halak and Greiss are not. A first might be too much to give up but Islanders at least have two of those in the upcoming draft.
youre both wrong and both ignorant

halak and griess are both number ones as much as howard is

and neither greiss nor halak has ever had a game where they gave up 5 goals on 9 shots

you just want a number one pick, youre desparate for one because your team is old and its becoming irrelevant

those are just the facts

Snow isnt going to give you one, hes not santa claus

honestly at his cap hit I wouldnt take howard for free

i told you when you first tried to pawn him off on us he wasnt that good and then less than a week later he gave up 5 goals on 9 shots and have since been passed by montreal and bostonand no longer are in a playoff position, why because howard isnt any better than Halak or Greiss

and like snow says he wants the goalies we have to find their own way, not waste assets on a goalie no better than what we already have

as crew said ever so correctly

"Give it up. As LeapOnOver pointed out Halak usually gets better as the season goes along.

And most importantly, Snow said a few days ago that the goalies have to work their way out of there funks, that he is NOT trading for a goalie.'

or as i say

FIND ANOTHER SUCKER

AND I DO WATCH THE GAMES ITS HOW I KNEW HOWARD WAS DUE TO CRASH AND BURN

AND SINCE I TOLD YOU THAT

HOWARD IS 1-5 WITH A .817 SAVE PERCENTAGE

AND YOU SAY IM IGNORANT????

SEEMS TO ME GIVEN HIS PERFORMANCE SINCE THEN I WAS PRETTY ACCURATE

the sad fact is that nobody will give you a number one for howard because average goalies dont have that kind of value, especially goalies inn their mid 30s, we got Halak for a 4th in his prime and you want a 1st for howard??

like I told you the first time you offered this

Milbury was fired years ago

so stop beating a dead horse

either accept it or find someone else to pawn him off on

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

The nyi GM realizes that Halak and Griess have played well before this season and disagrees that Halak/Griess are not #1 G or capable of being #1 G.

And while I expect that extra 1st to be traded, I think it will be in a deal for a top 4 D.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
and neither greiss nor halak has ever had a game where they gave up 5 goals on 9 shots

We're shutting this down now. Highlights are being posted of that game, not because it'll change your mind. You're too simple-minded for that. Because it'll leave you no excuse to continue to be as ignorant as you are, which you'll certainly continue to be, and will just expose you as the simpleton you are.

Four clean breaks, a 2 on 1 where Green foolishly took the shooter, two different even strength situations where a Montreal player was left wide open, one of which all five Detroit players were on the bench side boards. Potential one goal each that Mrazek and Howard should've had. Other than that, the worst defense I've ever seen at the pro level. Once again, quit cherrypicking stats and watch a game.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
its not only one game

its his last few seasons, there are elite goalies and there are poor goalies the rest fall into the category of good enough.

the vast majority of NHL GOALIES are interchangeable, they have their good games and their bad games most often dictated by the teams around them

Halak and Greiss and yes Howard fall into the category of good enough its as simple as that

unless you have a Carey Price, a prime Henrik Lundqvist, a Corey Schneider, a Luongo at his best, a few others, theres not much difference to be had.

Howard simply isnt good enough to be considered an elite goalie, he's not and no amount of posturing by you will make him one. just like Halak and Greiss, accept what is and move on

and way to go putting video evidence out there documenting that the Red Wings own Mike Green has his own inadequacies on defense. that ought to get you top dollar in trade.

thats all there is to it, why pay exorbitant prices for something more of the same as you already have, So Garth Snow rightfully in my opinion, told them to play better

I get it you want to get the best price for your goaltender so you excuse a game where he wasnt able to cover for his defense, but guess what elite goalies do that, every day. some on even worse gaffes than Greens. you dont even need to be elite to do that

dont believe me, fine put up a poll asking who the NHL's elite goalies are, no names just the question, see how many votes Howard gets? and no ballot box stuffing doesnt count (sorry red wing fans)

as Ive said many times I wouldnt take Howard for free, mostly because his contract at 5.3M doesnt fit under our cap and the most id be willing to do is trade Greiss for him and then only because it makes him fit under our cap and total salaries are a wash

so do yourself a favor find yourself someone who might actually take him

just had to add this:

The Red Wings are right back to their losing ways and a 6-1 beating from St. Louis this afternoon was a result of poor goaltending writes the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James. Jimmy Howard surrendered four goals on eight shots,

so whats that 9 goals on 17 shots thats some excellent goaltending there eh bronson?

whats your excuse now WingsMJN296 I stand by what I said

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Bronson's an Islander fan... an Islander fan with an inflated opinion of Howard IMO, but not a Detroit fan trying to pawn off Howard at high value.
i knew that but this wings fan was saying the isles were stupid for not trading for him

since that day

21 goals in 115 shots the equivalent of 3 games

thats 7 goals a game

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
with vegas winning without him, what about fleury? you know he's got a ton of playoff experience

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
youre both wrong and both ignorant

halak and griess are both number ones as much as howard is

you just want a number one pick, youre desparate for one because your team is old and its becoming irrelevant

those are just the facts

Snow isnt going to give you one, hes not santa claus

honestly at his cap hit I wouldnt take howard for free

i told you when you first tried to pawn him off on us he wasnt that good and then less than a week later he gave up 5 goals on 9 shots and have since been passed by montreal and bostonand no longer are in a playoff position, why because howard isnt any better than Halak or Greiss

and like snow says he wants the goalies we have to find their own way, not waste assets on a goalie no better than what we already have

as crew said ever so correctly

"Give it up. As LeapOnOver pointed out Halak usually gets better as the season goes along.

And most importantly, Snow said a few days ago that the goalies have to work their way out of there funks, that he is NOT trading for a goalie.'

or as i say

FIND ANOTHER SUCKER

AND I DO WATCH THE GAMES ITS HOW I KNEW HOWARD WAS DUE TO CRASH AND BURN

AND SINCE I TOLD YOU THAT

HOWARD IS 1-5 WITH A .817 SAVE PERCENTAGE

AND YOU SAY IM IGNORANT????

SEEMS TO ME GIVEN HIS PERFORMANCE SINCE THEN I WAS PRETTY ACCURATE

the sad fact is that nobody will give you a number one for howard because average goalies dont have that kind of value, especially goalies inn their mid 30s, we got Halak for a 4th in his prime and you want a 1st for howard??

like I told you the first time you offered this

Milbury was fired years ago

so stop beating a dead horse

either accept it or find someone else to pawn him off on
tl;dr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad