Speculation: Isles Potential Trade Targets at D/G

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Who are your current RHD and RHD prospects? Also is there a side you would be looking for more LHD or RHD?

I ask this because I've been thinking about a proposal from the CBJ to the NYI for about... 5ish days. I will start by saying I know there are 0% of Isles fans that want to trade Tavares. This deal is ONLY if Tavares tells management at the deadline he is not signing after this year. So if he's signing long term with you guys this is just a fun proposal in a alternate universe where he agrees to a sign and trade to the CBJ.

Proposal-
Wennberg, Savard, Milano, 1st, and 3rd/Goalie not named Bob (added this because you mentioned goalie help)

For

Tavares and maybe a Dman roster or prospect.

Wennberg is only 23 I think and on a great contract. Has gotten better every year since coming into the league. Numbers are lower this year but everyone on the teams is. He played hurt to start the year and finally had to miss a few games to get 100% and our PP is league worst so that also hurts his numbers but he's a long term projected 1b or higher end 2C. In the fantasy you have to lose JT but Wennberg coming back softens that blow big time and keeps your center depth good. Barzal takes over that #1 spot and thrives.

Savard is only like 25/26ish and is on a beauty of a contract in the low 4mil range. He is a prototypical #3 But has played top pair before and looked like he belonged. He is also a RHD which seems to be the valuable side these days. He has become a stud shut down defender. He was over +30 last year with 0 PP time.

Milano has 5 goals this year and is ready to play. The problem here is that Torts feels it's not fair to Sonny to put him in the line up if he's not getting top 6 minutes because he's a scorer and he wants to put him in the best situations to do his job but we have 3 30g LW and the other is Calvert who is one of the best 3rd liners and pkers in the game. We can' play him over Foligno, Panarin or Jenner either!! But when he has been in he is a beast in the offensive zone and I think he would thrive with a guy like Barzal and if he were to be able to get on a line with ho sang one day I honestly would be on the edge of my seat watching for what they do because they both have tons of flair with the puck.

The 1st and 3rd are just that picks and I mentioned goalie because you are looking but if you want something else and use this deal for other futures great!!

What do you think? You can make adjustments to the pieces if you would like. Im trying to keep the main pieces of Wennberg and Savard though. The rest we can play with. Again this is only a trade in an alternate universe where he said he isnt singing there long term sontheybare Trading him at the TDL =)

Take this in a heartbeat if it's a deadline deal and Tavares hasn't signed....sadly I'm sure it will go to the offseason and we'll have to wait and see.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I can't think of a single time where a goaltending tandem was really successful. Stop flip-flopping between Halak and Greiss. I don't even care which guy gets the job, but pick one. Tell everyone that this guy is the #1 moving forward, let him play through any struggles, and see what he can do.

I would bet that either guy would play better that way. No need to make a trade, just make up your mind.

We've tried that route. That's why we get lottery picks, lol. In our conference and division you "let a goalie play through struggles" and by the time he snaps out of it you are in last place. That stuff might fly in the Western conference, but not here.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
De Haan is a solid #3, who the isles won't give $5m per to.
Seids and Hickey are also ufas in July.
We are told the isles kicked the tires on Vanaten this summer.He would have been a nice pickup.A cost controlled top 4.

I do not see the isles paying Green what he could get from some team on July 1st.
Green is an.option,but not an ideal one.
To be frank I'd rather give Pulock the ice time. Why throw away the first in the expansion draft to protect him if we're not gonna use him.

It's silly to me to expend assets to further block Other assets for short term solutions. Pulock still needs to clear waivers so sooner or later we need to find out if he's worth anything or not.

All we've been doing is devaluing him as an asset..if We acquire short term defender Im gonna be pissed. Pelech wasn't lights out at first either but he played and got better. And we already know Pulock can help the power play.

Last edited:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
that very well could be but you cant afford to resign him and the closer the deadline comes the less leverage youll have.
you could trade him, somewhere else but those teams dont have 2 1sts and 2 2nds so they will think twice about sacrificing their own

at the deadline if we hold our assets teams will be coming to us, thats why its wiser to be patient

You are incorrect about that. The closer we get to the deadline the more Green is going yo be worth as the best available defensemen. Since he will be a UFA Detroit can retain salary as well. There could easily be a bidding war for his services with teams going for it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You are incorrect about that. The closer we get to the deadline the more Green is going yo be worth as the best available defensemen. Since he will be a UFA Detroit can retain salary as well. There could easily be a bidding war for his services with teams going for it.

The closer we get to the TDL the more teams will have dropped put of the playoff picture and more options could be available.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Take this in a heartbeat if it's a deadline deal and Tavares hasn't signed....sadly I'm sure it will go to the offseason and we'll have to wait and see.
Good to hear!! Thanks for reading it and giving it a chance that most of the fans refused to!! Most fans just saw JT and wouldn't understand my situation was only if he said he wouldn't sign and and told the islanders to trade him and get a return.

Now would you send back a D or prospect D with him? It Would be someone we could put in Cleveland as a hopefully one day 2nd pair replacement for Savard but we should have 7 guys here omce we traalde him anyways.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
We've tried that route. That's why we get lottery picks, lol. In our conference and division you "let a goalie play through struggles" and by the time he snaps out of it you are in last place. That stuff might fly in the Western conference, but not here.

Lots of Eastern teams let their goalie play through a rough patch. Philly just lost 10 in a row and only let Neuvirth play 2 of them, sticking with Elliott. 4 of those losses he let in 5 goals. But some of those games weren't on him, so they stuck with him and now the whole team is playing better. And there's no goalie controversy.

Andersen had a terrible start to the season, as he did last year. In the middle of the rough patch he had a 3.6 GAA and .890 S%, but they stuck with him. Now he's only had 2 regulation losses in his last like 12 games, with a sparkling .922 S%.

Scott Darling has only 1 regulation win in his last 6 games (1 in relief). But it seems Carolina is sticking with him.

I understand what you're saying. The Islanders have had lots of goalie struggles since DiPietro. And I'm not even saying that just running with one of them is sure to work out. But Hasn't the Halak/Greiss platoon/tandem plan already been proven to not work? Just like dozens of other goalie tandems failed in the past like Reimer/Bernier or Lehtinen/Niemi or Pavelec/Helebyuck (who sure looks good now that he's the man). Murray/Fleury worked better when one guy was just the guy, not splitting time. Why stick with a losing formula?

Reactions: MagicalMarner67

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
But Hasn't the Halak/Greiss platoon/tandem plan already been proven to not work? Just like dozens of other goalie tandems failed in the past like Reimer/Bernier or Lehtinen/Niemi or Pavelec/Helebyuck (who sure looks good now that he's the man). Murray/Fleury worked better when one guy was just the guy, not splitting time. Why stick with a losing formula?

This is just false because it is out of context. The Halak/Greiss tandem has given the Islanders the best goaltending that they've had in recent memory. The last two years NYI have been league average in SV%. That's miles ahead of where they were (bottom-5).

Personally, I think Halak is just going through a rough patch. But given the 2017 NHL, Halak's play is better suited to the game and I think he'll end up playing more and doing better.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
This is just false because it is out of context. The Halak/Greiss tandem has given the Islanders the best goaltending that they've had in recent memory. The last two years NYI have been league average in SV%. That's miles ahead of where they were (bottom-5).

Personally, I think Halak is just going through a rough patch. But given the 2017 NHL, Halak's play is better suited to the game and I think he'll end up playing more and doing better.

Well I'm sure Islanders fans would know better than me how the tandem has been. But I am posting in a thread asking for a new goalie to take their place. I don't think suggesting they ride one of them is more insulting than suggesting they replace them both.

Maybe it is a bit out of context for the last 2 seasons. But it sure isn't out of the context of this thread. They're not working.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Maybe it is a bit out of context for the last 2 seasons. But it sure isn't out of the context of this thread. They're not working.

You said "But Hasn't the Halak/Greiss platoon/tandem plan already been proven to not work? Just like dozens of other goalie tandems failed in the past [...]?"

The answer to that is "No." Halak playing a majority but not large majority of the games (46-50 games) is a scenario that's worked out for about league average for 3 different teams over a decade.

If someone can give me a scenario that's significantly better than that, I'll be pleased. Nobody has.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Way too much parity in the league to presume that. In fact, it's more likely to be the opposite seller's market.
I do not see the isles outbidding other teams to keep Green on July 1st.

With De Haan +Green both likely leaving , it puts the isles back on the trade market in the off season. I would rather shop for a puck mover who will be under team control this season and next season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I do not see the isles outbidding other teams to keep Green on July 1st.

With De Haan +Green both likely leaving , it puts the isles back on the trade market in the off season. I would rather shop for a puck mover who will be under team control this season and next season.

Such as?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Did you know the isles talked to the Ducks last summer about Vantanen?
I didn't and no one on the nyi board bought him up as someone Snow pursued.

The GM meeting were recently held.You don't think Snow wasn't seeking our potential trades?

It is Dec.Not days or weeks from the TDL.

Reactions: 72hockey guy

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
maybe maybe not. his production has slowed noticably and as you fall further out of the playoff race, his value will take a hit. you may get a first, I wont deny that but it will be a late one.

I dont see him helping us, Id rather play pulock

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Did you know the isles talked to the Ducks last summer about Vantanen?
I didn't and no one on the nyi board bought him up as someone Snow pursued.

The GM meeting were recently held.You don't think Snow wasn't seeking our potential trades?

It is Dec.Not days or weeks from the TDL.

I think you're reaching when you say pursued. Staple said inquired, which is likely code for a <1 min phone call across the draft floor.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think you're reaching when you say pursued. Staple said inquired, which is likely code for a <1 min phone call across the draft floor.
considering at the time anaheim was looking to extend fowler and the ducks were actively shopping vatanen (albeit with a considerable price tag) Id assume it was a bit longer. Snow obviously didnt like the price tag

but over the summer due to fowler's excellent season it was common knowledge vatanen was available. spector claimed several teams most notably Toronto and edmonton inquired. and given the visnovsky deal it wouldnt surprise me if garth did indeed kick the proverbial tires

Garth does have a habit of fishing with the same buddies

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Snow was sitting there with Hamonic shopped or already moved and with De Haan looking for a bigger contract extension then the isles wanted to give him.
26 old Vatanen would have checked several boxes. This makes 2 players I wanted, that Snow had talks about only to see NJ snag them.First Hall and now Vatanen.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Snow was sitting there with Hamonic shopped or already moved and with De Haan looking for a bigger contract extension then the isles wanted to give him.
26 old Vatanen would have checked several boxes. This makes 2 players I wanted, that Snow had talks about only to see NJ snag them.First Hall and now Vatanen.
crew when shero snags vlasic youll go into orbit.....youve wanted him since he was a rookie. I remember that

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Certainly can't see the sabres saying no to either deal. Although I don't really think they necessarily need another goaltender coming back. Ullmark is ready to be an NHL backup and Adam Wilcox can handle AHL duties

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Every Single One Of These Are Terrible For The Isles

Thank God Youre Not Our Gm

Nilsson Was A Former Isle Who Stunk It Up When He Was Here.

Id lay off sniffing glue before making trade proposals

Have you not heard it takes defenders time to mature?Pulock just needs to gain experience and Weight is bringing him along slowly. Like he did pelech last season
Do people like you enjoy bashing someones hard work? At least he took the time and threw some ideas out there.

Ironically you make fun of him, yet Nillson would be A huge upgrade. What cuz he sucked before? well, guess the Canucks are 4th in gaa and Nillson is A huge part of that. You take away that debacle by the Canuck's pk in boston and the game against you guys. Last week he had the best sv% of goalies playing in more than 7 games .. overall he has been spectacular. And if the Nucks do trade him or Marky at the TDL. and both are playing like this or better with the way so many teams need A reliable backup this year It will easily cost A first. More then half the league is in goaltending trouble. Gonna be A feeding frenzy, usually, goalies go for a 3rd round or higher, Not this year.

To the OP don't listen to jerks who have nothing better to do then be dicks. Most likely he used to get his arss kicked in HS. So now he can hide behind A pc and put people down. Have A great morning and keep up the good posts

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad