Speculation: Isles Potential Trade Targets at D/G

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
The Greiss/Halak tandem is a vortex of suck for this team right now, and the defense beyond Leddy/Boychuk is inconsistent. I've identified what I believe are some potential trade targets for them to improve on both to make this team a serious threat to compete for the Cup. I'd like to know what realistically would get any of these players.

Goalies
Robin Lehner - RFA at end of season

This seems like an easy one - the Sabres should be selling anything that isn't bolted to the ground. I assume Buffalo will need a goalie going back. Halak + NYI 2nd?

Anders Nilsson - UFA in 2019

I think his numbers and play dictate that he should get more playing time than Vancouver wants to give him. I'd love to get him from Vancouver and give him a shot to take the starter's reins in NY. They'd need a goalie going back so they can let Demko stay in the AHL for the rest of this season.

Halak + CGY 2nd + a mid-level D prospect, such as Mitchell VandeSompel?

Aaron Dell - UFA at end of season

I have no idea what SJ would want for him, or even if they'd want to part ways with him, given how steady he has been for them. Again, I assume Halak would have to go back as they'd need a backup, but the Isles would have to eat some salary.

Halak (50% retained) + CGY 2nd + NYI 3rd?

Defense

Niklas Hjalmarsson - UFA in 2019

He's exactly what the Isles need on the 2nd pair. Arizona would need futures and a d-man coming back.

Pulock + one of the 2nd round picks?

Zach Bogosian - UFA in 2020

I'm concerned about his injury history, but if Buffalo is willing to retain 30% to bring his cap down to 3.6m/year, I think it'd be a worthwhile gamble. At worst, he's a steady #5 d-man when healthy.

Pulock + Mitch Vande Sompel?

Cody Ceci - RFA after season

Ottawa fans seem to have soured on him, but I wouldn't mind him at all on the 2nd pairing. Again, Pulock would be the centerpiece of the deal as he could slot in and has future value

Pulock + CGY 2nd?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Varlamov. Make a thread.

Halak
NYI 1st
Sorokin/Soderstrom
Vande Sompel

From an Avs perspective, I'd do this.

Varly is still a really good goalie who can steal games and keep you in it when you're not playing well. But he's going to be 31 when his contract expires, and IMO only has 2-3 more years after that at most of quality play. Not long enough for the Avs to keep around as our window isn't likely to open up for 2-3 years at minimum.

At least with a deal like this we get a stopgap in Halak to go along with Bernier. A legit goalie prospect in Sorokin, and another 1st in the draft that will help us continue adding depth and talent to the prospect pool.

Honestly have no idea who Vande Sompel is, he doesn't even need to be included in the deal IMO. Halak + Sorokin + NYI 1st would be a fine deal with me.

Not sure the rest of the Avs fans agree, but that's how I see it.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Varlamov. Make a thread.

Halak
NYI 1st
Sorokin/Soderstrom
Vande Sompel

I love Varly, I do, but he isn't worth that. Not that it wouldn't take something clearly too much to get him (Sakic would basically be openly announcing a tank if he moves Varlamov for futures, it would pretty much end any chance at even just being bubble team looking in), but unless the Islanders are at the point of complete desperation AND there's absolutely nothing else on the market, Snow would be dumb to offer all that up. Goalies don't command a ton of value and never really have.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Isles need league average goaltending to be a legit contender. I can't think of an elite or high-end goalie who'd be available, so an upgrade would have to do
Are those guys even that though? Your right that big names guys wouldn't be available unless a guy like Varly is moved. I just dont think those guys give you a better shot then Greiss and Halak. Isles just need to make 1 a starter and ride him out.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Isles should absolutely target Jimmy Howard. Could prob be had for pretty cheap, def one of the better realistic options for NYI, if not the best. Plenty of playoff experience and playing extremely well (save for a recent 3-4 game stretch) behind the worst defense in the NHL.

Reactions: Gary 23

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Who are your current RHD and RHD prospects? Also is there a side you would be looking for more LHD or RHD?

I ask this because I've been thinking about a proposal from the CBJ to the NYI for about... 5ish days. I will start by saying I know there are 0% of Isles fans that want to trade Tavares. This deal is ONLY if Tavares tells management at the deadline he is not signing after this year. So if he's signing long term with you guys this is just a fun proposal in a alternate universe where he agrees to a sign and trade to the CBJ.

Proposal-
Wennberg, Savard, Milano, 1st, and 3rd/Goalie not named Bob (added this because you mentioned goalie help)

For

Tavares and maybe a Dman roster or prospect.

Wennberg is only 23 I think and on a great contract. Has gotten better every year since coming into the league. Numbers are lower this year but everyone on the teams is. He played hurt to start the year and finally had to miss a few games to get 100% and our PP is league worst so that also hurts his numbers but he's a long term projected 1b or higher end 2C. In the fantasy you have to lose JT but Wennberg coming back softens that blow big time and keeps your center depth good. Barzal takes over that #1 spot and thrives.

Savard is only like 25/26ish and is on a beauty of a contract in the low 4mil range. He is a prototypical #3 But has played top pair before and looked like he belonged. He is also a RHD which seems to be the valuable side these days. He has become a stud shut down defender. He was over +30 last year with 0 PP time.

Milano has 5 goals this year and is ready to play. The problem here is that Torts feels it's not fair to Sonny to put him in the line up if he's not getting top 6 minutes because he's a scorer and he wants to put him in the best situations to do his job but we have 3 30g LW and the other is Calvert who is one of the best 3rd liners and pkers in the game. We can' play him over Foligno, Panarin or Jenner either!! But when he has been in he is a beast in the offensive zone and I think he would thrive with a guy like Barzal and if he were to be able to get on a line with ho sang one day I honestly would be on the edge of my seat watching for what they do because they both have tons of flair with the puck.

The 1st and 3rd are just that picks and I mentioned goalie because you are looking but if you want something else and use this deal for other futures great!!

What do you think? You can make adjustments to the pieces if you would like. Im trying to keep the main pieces of Wennberg and Savard though. The rest we can play with. Again this is only a trade in an alternate universe where he said he isnt singing there long term sontheybare Trading him at the TDL =)

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I wouldn't deal Ceci for Pulock and a 2nd unless it's a given that this season is lost for Ottawa.
Also if that is the case I'd ask for Pelech instead of Pulock with a lower pick if the 2nd is a no-go.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
^ those are all such great pieces you should almost just keep them yourself. Tavares is either walking in June or signing with the isles, no in between.
That's why it's alternate universe where he goes at the TDL.

Does it need adds. Is it close or far? Give me something to negotiate with here.

Reactions: IODCPiper

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Nilsson, Dell, Lehner?

That's the best you came up with?

I'm not convinced any of them would be a bonafide improvement on either Greiss or Halak. I think the Isles are pretty much stuck with what they've got in net, maybe they trade Halak at the deadline with a sweetener ....

If the Isles should do anything, it's make DeHaan, Nelson, Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, Bellows and all future draft picks available in some form for a real top 4 defensemen - to clarify, i'm not suggesting they trade all those pieces, but some combination of a 2018 1st Rounder + 2018 2nd Rounder and maybe 2 of the players above is a nice bundle.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Are those guys even that though? Your right that big names guys wouldn't be available unless a guy like Varly is moved. I just dont think those guys give you a better shot then Greiss and Halak. Isles just need to make 1 a starter and ride him out.

Agreed. As for defense, get rid of at least one and declare another a 7th and just role with 6 so they can get used to each other. Why try to make 8 happy?

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Available from Ottawa for me:

Ceci
Phaneuf
Claesson
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

Spoke to some Isles fans in another thread about a swap around Brock Nelson+ for Ceci. Two disappointing former top prospects headed to RFA.

Ottawa could definitely use a to top 6 LW with some speed and a good wrist shot who can also fill in at center. Ceci would stabilize your second pairing.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I think Markstrom and Gudbranson would be a perfect fit for isles.

Markstrom has had amazing success w. Utica and is familar w. The community.

Guddy is a stay at home Dman that will allow guys like tavares eberle barzal to play bigger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->