Speculation: Isles Potential Trade Targets at D/G

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Some really bad trade offers in this thread. You don't trade for a goalie in the season as no good one will be available for cheap. Isles will have to either trade for a goalie in the offseason or hope they can somehow bring Sorokin over and hope he is the real deal. The Isles have 2 good scoring lines with a below average defense and well below average goaltending. They have been winning mainly because Barzal has been great which gives them 2 really good lines. Leddy is very good Boychuk is solid as is Dehann. After that its a big drop off.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That gets it done for this Sharks fan. I like Dell, but that's too much value to pass up.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
The Greiss/Halak tandem is a vortex of suck for this team right now, and the defense beyond Leddy/Boychuk is inconsistent. I've identified what I believe are some potential trade targets for them to improve on both to make this team a serious threat to compete for the Cup. I'd like to know what realistically would get any of these players.

Goalies
Robin Lehner - RFA at end of season

This seems like an easy one - the Sabres should be selling anything that isn't bolted to the ground. I assume Buffalo will need a goalie going back. Halak + NYI 2nd?

Anders Nilsson - UFA in 2019

I think his numbers and play dictate that he should get more playing time than Vancouver wants to give him. I'd love to get him from Vancouver and give him a shot to take the starter's reins in NY. They'd need a goalie going back so they can let Demko stay in the AHL for the rest of this season.

Halak + CGY 2nd + a mid-level D prospect, such as Mitchell VandeSompel?

Aaron Dell - UFA at end of season

I have no idea what SJ would want for him, or even if they'd want to part ways with him, given how steady he has been for them. Again, I assume Halak would have to go back as they'd need a backup, but the Isles would have to eat some salary.

Halak (50% retained) + CGY 2nd + NYI 3rd?

Defense

Niklas Hjalmarsson - UFA in 2019

He's exactly what the Isles need on the 2nd pair. Arizona would need futures and a d-man coming back.

Pulock + one of the 2nd round picks?

Zach Bogosian - UFA in 2020

I'm concerned about his injury history, but if Buffalo is willing to retain 30% to bring his cap down to 3.6m/year, I think it'd be a worthwhile gamble. At worst, he's a steady #5 d-man when healthy.

Pulock + Mitch Vande Sompel?

Cody Ceci - RFA after season

Ottawa fans seem to have soured on him, but I wouldn't mind him at all on the 2nd pairing. Again, Pulock would be the centerpiece of the deal as he could slot in and has future value

Pulock + CGY 2nd?

We are unlikely to trade Dell, but this offer for him is solid enough to make it possible. I'd be ok with it.

How about a larger deal to fill all your woes. Sharks offer Dell + Braun + Hansen for Halak + Nelson + Calgary 1st. Salary is roughly same. You get yourself a good goalie who may help, plus a top four rhd shutdown to play with de haan. (Hansen is a serviceable bottom six thrown in to open a roster spot on sharks, no real value and is Ufa next season).

Reactions: IODCPiper

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
We are unlikely to trade Dell, but this offer for him is solid enough to make it possible. I'd be ok with it.

How about a larger deal to fill all your woes. Sharks offer Dell + Braun + Hansen for Halak + Nelson + Calgary 1st. Salary is roughly same. You get yourself a good goalie who may help, plus a top four rhd shutdown to play with de haan. (Hansen is a serviceable bottom six thrown in to open a roster spot on sharks, no real value and is Ufa next season).

Hansen, as much as I like him, doesn't fill any void. Our RW depth is very strong right now as Bailey-Eberle-JHS-Clutterbuck-sometimes Chimera). Braun I don't mind, but I'd rather target a lefty. Seems like overpayment on our end. Dell isn't THAT good.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
There's a lot of chatter on the Isles board that we've been awarded the Belmont bid. Almost everyone claiming sources is saying things are wrapping up soon, and one website has already declared us as winning the bid.

New home on Long Island = Tavares feels comfortable re-signing.

Now is the worst possible time to gauge his value as a UFA.
What website?

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I get that. But the Sabres also need locker room help. Clutterbuck is a meat and potatoes lower line hitter. He wears an A for the Isles. He'll end up being an older, slightly overpaid version of Foligno, but if he helps change the room, I'm good with that.

Ok

Bogosian for Clutterbuck, but what else can we get with that? A 3rd?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Any Vegas fans here? What would you guys want for Nate Schmidt and Nick Suzuki?

I tried to look on your board, but saw nothing discussing trades or what your team's needs are.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Hansen, as much as I like him, doesn't fill any void. Our RW depth is very strong right now as Bailey-Eberle-JHS-Clutterbuck-sometimes Chimera). Braun I don't mind, but I'd rather target a lefty. Seems like overpayment on our end. Dell isn't THAT good.
Hansen was a roster slot, no value. So talking about him is a waste of our time.

Braun is the most valuable piece on my offer. Dell less so, but we have little reason to deal him. Let's focus what I was targeting by dropping Nelson for now as well. You have no interest in trading for Braun + Dell?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Wish I could dislike this entire thread from a NYI point of view. The ideas that Robin Lehner or Jimmy Howard will solve NYI's problem are purely reactive. These goaltenders are no miracle workers. It's not at all clear to me that either are significantly better than what NYI have got.

The defenders in this thread? Meh. Green would be good as a deadline acquisition, but not as NYI's top need. A legitimate top pairing D-man would be great, but there's no evidence any are available.

What NYI need desperately is a 3rd line center. The combined losses of Cizikas and Kulemin have crippled how NYI match up against top opponent lines at ES and have totally decimated the PK.

NYI need a bottom-6 center and winger. PK aces highly preferred. Now that MTL has climbed back in it this is a non-suggestion. But if they were still way behind, I think Plekanec would be the best fit. He would stabilize NYI's forward corps. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen with the crappy Atlantic division.
AMEN Dano

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Hansen was a roster slot, no value. So talking about him is a waste of our time.

Braun is the most valuable piece on my offer. Dell less so, but we have little reason to deal him. Let's focus what I was targeting by dropping Nelson for now as well. You have no interest in trading for Braun + Dell?

I mean, I like Braun, but like I said I think a lefty is a better fit short term and long term. A righty blocks Mayfield and Pulock from playing this year and next year. However, if we are going after a righty, then Braun would be awesome.

Dell is meh to me. I think he's okay, but I'm very weary on bringing in goalies with little experience. I have been very critical of the Hurricanes handing that contract to Scott Darling. Sometimes it works, like Jones to SJ, or it blows up in your face royally, like Darling to CAR. So Dell, to me, has no value to the Islanders.

I think your proposal is too many moving pieces.

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
Don't like any of the trades in this thread for NYI. If Isles are gunna add a goalie it should be a young guy who has a high upside that will back up either Griess or Halak. Gotta give one of them the reigns and let them get hot. With MAF coming back this week and Vegas having two good young goalies with Dansk and Subban, one of them would be my target. How much would it cost to get Subban away from vegas? Pulock + Griess/Halak + pick?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
How about we just work with what we have til Soderstrom and Sorokin are here

We have more pressing matters (arena, JT)

Making any major decisions till then Screams PANIC

These trades certainly do

Patience is a virtue for a reason

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
How about we just work with what we have til Soderstrom and Sorokin are here

We have more pressing matters (arena, JT)

Making any major decisions till then Screams PANIC
I mean, I like Braun, but like I said I think a lefty is a better fit short term and long term. A righty blocks Mayfield and Pulock from playing this year and next year. However, if we are going after a righty, then Braun would be awesome.

Dell is meh to me. I think he's okay, but I'm very weary on bringing in goalies with little experience. I have been very critical of the Hurricanes handing that contract to Scott Darling. Sometimes it works, like Jones to SJ, or it blows up in your face royally, like Darling to CAR. So Dell, to me, has no value to the Islanders.

I think your proposal is too many moving pieces.
slapshot read san jose's board re Braun , they acknowledge his play isnt as it was and they talk about stealing somebodies 1st and 2nd for him

just a heads up

if theres stealing going on i prefer not being the victim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad