Is John Chayka a top-3 GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Tim Murray was considered a scouting guru, not a genius.

The drafting of Reinhart over Draisaitl and Nylander over McAvoy will insure his memory remains intact.... Sadly, as a Buffalo fan.
Don't fall into revisionist history. Reinhart over Draisaitl was a good pick, and the right pick. McAvoy was at best the 4th D on the board for everyone on the Sabres board. Chychrun was the guy everyone wanted (and funnily enough, the guy who Chayka drafted at #16...).

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Probably the most HFBoards-iest thread of all-time. Well done.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Don't fall into revisionist history. Reinhart over Draisaitl was a good pick, and the right pick. McAvoy was at best the 4th D on the board for everyone on the Sabres board. Chychrun was the guy everyone wanted (and funnily enough, the guy who Chayka drafted at #16...).

There were many of us who, due to his superior size and skating, preferred Draisaitl. Especially as the game was rapidly becoming a quicker game. So I can say that.

Now I didn't use Pastrnak as a better option because no one was saying he would be a better selection.

McAvoy I will give you, because I did not rate him so highly going into the draft.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There were many of us who, due to his superior size and skating, preferred Draisaitl. Especially as the game was rapidly becoming a quicker game. So I can say that.

Now I didn't use Pastrnak as a better option because no one was saying he would be a better selection.

McAvoy I will give you, because I did not rate him so highly going into the draft.
Draisaitl's skating was a question mark at the time of the draft...

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Draisaitl's skating was a question mark at the time of the draft...
I was more concerned with his consistency, and his ability to play a physical game. Regardless, he looked the better of the two to me, because Reinhart is, and wasn't fleet of foot either.

But it's all a mute point now, we just have to hope Reinhart can take his play up a couple notches...

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I was more concerned with his consistency, and his ability to play a physical game. Regardless, he looked the better of the two to me, because Reinhart is, and wasn't fleet of foot either.

But it's all a mute point now, we just have to hope Reinhart can take his play up a couple notches...
This is irrelevant to most people, who only look at point totals to judge players.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There's certainly more to players than points.

However Aladyn, do not go over into the "Pierre Turgeon thread and tell that to Carey.....
I know, I know ;).

Year 3 of Sabres turning into garbage whenever Sam Reinhart steps off the ice and Jack Eichel failing to be an above-replacement NHL center without Reinhart on his wing :help:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's done a bunch of stuff that looked good on paper. He cleaned house, chucked out a bunch of toxic people and replaced them with seemingly capable leadership to help what appear to be very talented youngsters grow on the NHL roster. Sounds good in theory. Looks great on paper. So far we have no proof of anything, though. This thread is AT LEAST 12 months too early.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
His trades are amazing. I feel like he is really taking advantage of the old school thinking present among many GMs. I bet they actually think they are coming ahead on some of these deals.

I bet they do too. I'll go one further and say the GMs though they were coming ahead on all of the trades. I'll go even further and say that excluding a few exceptions like Gretzky (personal reasons outside of hockey), every trade every GM makes they think will make them better. I think that is why they do it. I don't think they are sitting there 'well Chayka will get the better deal here and it will hurt us, but whatever, lets have some fun.'

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He’s made some nice moves if icing a 21 and under team was all there was to being a top 3 GM, along with icing a perennially sucky NHL team

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He’s made some nice moves if icing a 21 and under team was all there was to being a top 3 GM, along with icing a perennially sucky NHL team

He brought in Hjalmarsson and Stepan, both veterans. Im not sure what else you expect him to do in one summer lol.

If the young guys don't step up this team will go nowhere no matter what you do. It's not like all good FA's want go to Arizona.

He's done everything you can ask of a GM stepping in to a rebuilding team. Next step is becoming a playoff team and that's the hardest part of it. Might not happen this year, you evaluate things again and make changes. It's always a process and suddenly turning the corner after a couple trades in one year is usually too good to be true.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
His team is losing 4-1 after 1 period in tonights game against Golden Knights so unless they come back to win his team will of lost twice to a brand new expansion team. Even with some nice moves on paper it hasn't paid off yet and who know when if at all it will. Hjalmarsson could leave after his contract is up after next season. They need better goaltending. Until results come no one should say he is a top 3 GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad