Is John Chayka a top-3 GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
0-1-1 vs the ducks with all their good players out and a brand new expansion team. Great team he's built here.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It's true he has the cards stacked against him, but I need to at least see a good season or two before I start putting him in the same category as guys who have won cups.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Too early to call him a top 3 GM, but he's had a really good start to his career for sure. I like how much he has improved the Coyotes.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't understand the love he gets. This is not EA Sports.
A lot of the love is unjustified but he’s a young guy who loves analytics so fans of analytics feel validated. Him being successful would bring that movement a long way.

The team is garbage though, analyze that. A team built for corsi has given up 40+ shots in both of their games, 1 being to the expansion Las Vegas team..

His entire philosophy is built on numbers that are often misleading, incomplete, or just flat out wrong. We’ll see how long he can ride his good fortune with a franchise that doesn’t know any better.

Reactions: cptjeff

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Too early to call him a top 3 GM, but he's had a really good start to his career for sure. I like how much he has improved the Coyotes.
How has he done anything thats rocket science???

He did nothing except inherit a team with tons of prospects, tons of capspace and take on other teams bad contracts or players that couldn't fit onto other teams.

Anyone on this board could have done that.

Its not like he inherited a team with 30 Million in dead contracts that were going nowhere. Its not like he stepped onto a team that had a depleted prospect pool with the whole team over 30 years old.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
A lot of the love is unjustified but he’s a young guy who loves analytics so fans of analytics feel validated. Him being successful would bring that movement a long way.

The team is garbage though, analyze that. A team built for corsi has given up 40+ shots in both of their games, 1 being to the expansion Las Vegas team..

His entire philosophy is built on numbers that are often misleading, incomplete, or just flat out wrong. We’ll see how long he can ride his good fortune with a franchise that doesn’t know any better.
I have to be honest here.... None of any of his moves smack of analytics.

They needed a good Dman. They got Hammer.
They needed a good centre... They got stepan.
They needed a goalie. They rolled the dice with Raanta.

He's not making moves that are typical like the "analytical darling" players that get added to teams where you flat out scratch your head....

To me, the guys that smack of analytics are the ones that put players in positions they shouldn't be in and then point to analytics..

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I have to be honest here.... None of any of his moves smack of analytics.

They needed a good Dman. They got Hammer.
They needed a good centre... They got stepan.
They needed a goalie. They rolled the dice with Raanta.

He's not making moves that are typical like the "analytical darling" players that get added to teams where you flat out scratch your head....

To me, the guys that smack of analytics are the ones that put players in positions they shouldn't be in and then point to analytics..
Jason Demers? Advanced stats guys claimed he was good cause corsi.. Florida signed him to a big deal and analytics claimed they had a steal. A year later they can’t give him away until Arizona stepped up..

Honestly I haven’t paid much attention to him or his team this season beyond a video preview and highlights, but I know his philosophy is very much based around flawed analytics and he’ll always be at a distinct disadvantage because of it.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Jason Demers? Advanced stats guys claimed he was good cause corsi.. Florida signed him to a big deal and analytics claimed they had a steal. A year later they can’t give him away until Arizona stepped up..

Honestly I haven’t paid much attention to him or his team this season beyond a video preview and highlights, but I know his philosophy is very much based around flawed analytics and he’ll always be at a distinct disadvantage because of it.
Demers is garbage. I agree. But they got Hjarlmarsson who is the best defensive player in the league and Demers at a haircut on his pay isn't a horrible pickup for a team that is desperate to develop young forwards. They had cap space, they might as well use it.

They are desperate to make the playoffs. The team needs the revenue and needs to offer their fans a reason to come back.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Demers is garbage. I agree. But they got Hjarlmarsson who is the best defensive player in the league and Demers at a haircut on his pay isn't a horrible pickup for a team that is desperate to develop young forwards. They had cap space, they might as well use it.

They are desperate to make the playoffs. The team needs the revenue and needs to offer their fans a reason to come back.
I get it, I just wonder how long until all 12 fans realize he’s kind of a fraud and you can’t build a team on a computer with numbers.

Right now they can sell him as a young brilliant mind on the cutting edge of the latest analytics. They can sell him as Billy Beane of hockey for a short time until someone figures out it just doesn’t work like that in hockey... Then what?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I get it, I just wonder how long until all 12 fans realize he’s kind of a fraud and you can’t build a team on a computer with numbers.

Right now they can sell him as a young brilliant mind on the cutting edge of the latest analytics. They can sell him as Billy Beane of hockey for a short time until someone figures out it just doesn’t work like that in hockey... Then what?
Oh I agree but he inherited such a good situation that it probably won't end up that way.

This is my point... Lou had to disassemble millions of dollars of bad contracts to get the leafs going again. Chayka had the best of everything.

If the coyotes can make the playoffs, Chayka will be a god in arizona. Even if they got swept, He'd be the golden boy.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
But those who actually watch the game point out he has done nothing yet

I agree 100%. Chayka has achieved nothing. The only thing he's good at is tanking. I don't even get why people think he's so good at trading. Most of his trades were "meh" (like the Stepan trade) or even ridiculously risky (he massively overpaid for the pick he used to pick Chychrun and it's only looking good now due to Chychrun's play).

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I can't put a guy ahead of other GMs who's teams have actually won more games than they lost, and/or who have won divisions and championships and playoffs and unimportant things like that.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Let's see, his team has never appeared in the playoffs during his watch and they just lost to a team that didn't exist when he took his job....I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't understand the love he gets. This is not EA Sports.

I don't think it's so much EA Sports, I think a lot of the moves he makes are the type of moves people get giddy about on this forum. Like; oh shit, this guy was a 1st round pick from 5 years ago that showed some upside! I hope my team claims him. Yotes Claim.

Just stuff your average fan wants to do.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He appears to know what he's doing - but I'd say it's absurd to even consider a guy among the top GM's when he's yet to put together a group that's proven to have any success.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
At this point he is nowhere near a top 3 GM. His teams have done nothing, and are not even on the verge of doing anything in the near future.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
He needs to fall face first into next McDavid/Matthews, only then will HF worship his GMing.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't think it's so much EA Sports, I think a lot of the moves he makes are the type of moves people get giddy about on this forum. Like; oh ****, this guy was a 1st round pick from 5 years ago that showed some upside! I hope my team claims him. Yotes Claim.

Just stuff your average fan wants to do.

Trading a cost controlled young D and speedy French-Canadian C prospect for a 30 year old shot blocking D-man with 2 years left on his deal goes against the grain of everything I read here and yet it was heralded as one of the best trades ever.

Hjalmarsson is a -3 with no points. Long way to go but I think HF should have went with their instincts on that one.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad