Is John Chayka a top-3 GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You mean the coach that is 2-0 in the playoffs against that genius behind the Leafs bench? And he beat the coach who took the Sharks to the finals the year before fwiw.
Put Matthews and Nylander on the Coyotes instead of Strome and Dvorak and they would be a cup contender while the Leafs struggle to make the playoffs.

Never said that Chia was a genius. I'm just saying that he doesn't get enough credit for building the Oilers.
Oiler fans always bring that up like it proves who is a better coach. Babcock has 1 cup, 2 gold medals and has been to the finals 3 times.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He has been in the job for what a year and a half and already boosts a tonof successful trades, signings and acquisitions.

They say it is impossible to acquire top 4 dmen, top line center in this league without paying through the nose. Chayka has added the following top 4 dmen and it's not even been 2 years:

Jacob Chychrun
Alex Goligiski
Jason Demers
Niklas Hjalmarsson.

Almost an entire NHL quality blueline in less than 2 years. And all he had to to give up to get it was taking on the Datsyuk contact, giving up a 4th liner, Connor Murphy and a bunch of crap.

On the forward side he added a top line youngish C and a #1 goalie for a pick. He has gotten excellent value for an aging Mike Smith, made a killing on the Hanzal and Vrbata trades, his great trades are too many to exhaustively list. This is not even counting all his great draft picks and more minor trades like the Boedker trade

Coyotes look better than ever. I don't think there should be any doubt that this guy is one of the best GMs in the league and the real deal.

Until he wins something no.he needs to at least get to the playoffs

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oiler fans always bring that up like it proves who is a better coach. Babcock has 1 cup, 2 gold medals and has been to the finals 3 times.

Never said that Mclellan was a better coach but if a fan of Babcock's team is going to point out that Mclellan isn't a good coach, it's perfectly reasonable to counter that this apparently not so good coach beat that great coach twice in the playoffs.

Silver Tuna

Easy on the Pepsi!!
Jun 4, 2011
Georgetown, ON
I say he is.
He's turning chicken shit into chicken salad.
I think you will see other owners look at Arizona and start to contemplate going younger next time they need a new GM.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He's made a few decent moves, but that doesn't mean much until you get results. We will see at the end of the season where the Yotes are at.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
His transaction record looks good, but there is a lot more to running a hockey club than trading and inquiring players. We're talking about managing operations for a multimillion dollar business.

The logistics are through the roof.

Publically he looks good, but before I call him anything other than a good analyst and negotiator there needs to be some results.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Chaika seems to have many friends in the media willing to write glowing PR pieces on him. Which appear to be working.

He has done absolutely nothing to deserve the gushing praise, won nothing. Keller is a nice prospect, but it's not like he stole him late in the first round. The rest of the system is middling at best.

Baffling.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Wow, they lost the first game of the season?

Well, pack it up. Season's done for the Yotes, folks. They're 0-1.

His team hasn't made the playoffs yet and his team lost to a injury stricken Ducks team making such a thread about him being one of the best GM both stupid and with bad timing.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
It took a lot of skill and ingenuity drafting Matthews over Laine.
I know... imagine how smart he is to be able to clone Austin matthews 23 times and put him on the ice...You know... Cause you can just put one guy out there and win..

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I am but not for thinking that Lou isn't CURRENTLY a top 3 GM. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Reilly, Gardiner, JVR, Bozak, Kadri. All these pieces were in place already or were pretty obvious draft picks and you can't really give him credit for winning the Matthews lottery. Andersen was a great pickup, Zaitsev, Brown and some of the other depth players are good pickups but is this top 3 worthy? Good GM but top 3, I don't think so.
Brown was a draft pick as well.

Lou found a trade partner for the untradeable Dion Phaneuf.

That alone wins you GM of the millennium.

Lou is one of the best trading GM's of the year. He gave the leafs cap space, flexibility and really good contract structure for years to come and will continue to do so. He's really years ahead of everything.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
No better than Mike Gillis. Took a team a destroyed it.

But that's what Lou did with New Jersey, though. And Holland also has the past success that Lou has.

Lamoriello has done a very good job with the Leafs, but the moves he made weren't the driving force for why the Leafs are a playoff team today when they weren't before. Most of the pieces that made the Leafs good were already in place when he took over. The only significant pieces he added were Zaitsev and Andersen. The rest came from before Lamoriello or were obvious #1 overall picks.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
But that's what Lou did with New Jersey, though. And Holland also has the past success that Lou has.
I do think that a lot of those years were due to financial issues and the team needing the playoff gates to stay alive.

Their scouting wasn't very good either.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
There deffinitely is a strong double standard in regards to ranking Holland and Lou. Holland did help build those 90's-2000's wings team from both the director of scouting and being their gm.

Lou's last years and first years in NJ are night and day in terms of how great he was as a GM. He came to toronto in 15 when they already had most of the roster only notable players he added were Matthews (as if a first overall was a direct result of his efforts) and Zaitzev he inherrited a lot more than Leaf fans will give him credit for. When one big argument for him being number one is resigning a player you know you have a weak argument to call him the best in the league

Last edited:
Reactions: Aladyyn

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I hated the Datsyuk trade (should have got more it seemed) but if Chychrun becomes a top 2 dman it will be a great move. I loved all his moves this offseason except for pissing off Shane Doan needlessly. I like the direction the team is headed.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is a question for those who say he is top 3

how can you put him above David Poile of the Preds? he can say he built that team
While Jim Rutherford got a lot of good players--he was able to make moves to ensure a repeat-- how is this guy above either of them

homer comment here Peter C of the oilers--while drafting McDavid --- took the gamble on trading Hall for Larsson--this site went nuts when that trade happen--do the Oilers make it deep in the playoffs without Larsson? Do they even make the playoffs with Hall in the line up?

Bob Murrey of the ducks? how is the guy we talking about better then him?

Lou Lam of the leafs--?

Piorre Dorien of the sens?

What has the Arizona GM WON

WON WON WON

fancy stats people love him--

but until he gets in the playoffs and his team does damage--he in the bottom 3rd of GMS

bottom line is winning and until he actually wins something--he has achieved nothing

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I hated the Datsyuk trade (should have got more it seemed) but if Chychrun becomes a top 2 dman it will be a great move. I loved all his moves this offseason except for pissing off Shane Doan needlessly. I like the direction the team is headed.
He's handcuffed by finances. That's why I am not convinced Arizona will be any big contender in the future. OEL might be goners soon.

Feb 24, 2017
here is a question for those who say he is top 3

how can you put him above David Poile of the Preds? he can say he built that team
While Jim Rutherford got a lot of good players--he was able to make moves to ensure a repeat-- how is this guy above either of them

homer comment here Peter C of the oilers--while drafting McDavid --- took the gamble on trading Hall for Larsson--this site went nuts when that trade happen--do the Oilers make it deep in the playoffs without Larsson? Do they even make the playoffs with Hall in the line up?

Bob Murrey of the ducks? how is the guy we talking about better then him?

Lou Lam of the leafs--?

Piorre Dorien of the sens?

What has the Arizona GM WON

WON WON WON

fancy stats people love him--

but until he gets in the playoffs and his team does damage--he in the bottom 3rd of GMS

bottom line is winning and until he actually wins something--he has achieved nothing
When have the Oilers gone deep in the playoffs recently?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He has been in the job for what a year and a half and already boosts a tonof successful trades, signings and acquisitions.

They say it is impossible to acquire top 4 dmen, top line center in this league without paying through the nose. Chayka has added the following top 4 dmen and it's not even been 2 years:

Jacob Chychrun
Alex Goligiski
Jason Demers
Niklas Hjalmarsson.

Almost an entire NHL quality blueline in less than 2 years. And all he had to to give up to get it was taking on the Datsyuk contact, giving up a 4th liner, Connor Murphy and a bunch of crap.

On the forward side he added a top line youngish C and a #1 goalie for a pick. He has gotten excellent value for an aging Mike Smith, made a killing on the Hanzal and Vrbata trades, his great trades are too many to exhaustively list. This is not even counting all his great draft picks and more minor trades like the Boedker trade

Coyotes look better than ever. I don't think there should be any doubt that this guy is one of the best GMs in the league and the real deal.
I can't even put him in the top TEN let alone the top THREE until he builds his team into a playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad