Is John Chayka a top-3 GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
>Think you're the smartest guy in the room; get BTFO x2 by an expansion team literally playing their 3rd NHL game.

This is not supposed to be a tank year for Arizona. No, this is Chayka's actual vision come to life and the year they took that next step. You invested in the wrong players, fam. Oops.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He brought in Hjalmarsson and Stepan, both veterans. Im not sure what else you expect him to do in one summer lol.

If the young guys don't step up this team will go nowhere no matter what you do. It's not like all good FA's want go to Arizona.

He's done everything you can ask of a GM stepping in to a rebuilding team. Next step is becoming a playoff team and that's the hardest part of it. Might not happen this year, you evaluate things again and make changes. It's always a process and suddenly turning the corner after a couple trades in one year is usually too good to be true.

It looks like he has the tear-down and tank routine mastered anyway.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The guy makes 2K trades that everybody here marvels at.

Reality says, gaming trades only work in games where the computer simulates seasons. In RL, not do much.

Bet he has the "superstar GM" trophy in "be a GM" mode..

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I bet they do too. I'll go one further and say the GMs though they were coming ahead on all of the trades. I'll go even further and say that excluding a few exceptions like Gretzky (personal reasons outside of hockey), every trade every GM makes they think will make them better. I think that is why they do it. I don't think they are sitting there 'well Chayka will get the better deal here and it will hurt us, but whatever, lets have some fun.'

Some teams knowingly come out worse on trades for a variety of reasons. Mostly due to previous incompetence on their own part.

Reactions: TheTechNoir

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
yes, he knows what he's doing, that Arizona team is just amazing, losing to Vegas twice in less than a week

Ya he's done a great job he should be real proud of that "team"

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Has been overrated from the very start. People were anointing him top 5 just for trading off FA's and commiting to a rebuild :shakehead

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I think his focus on analytics was seen as the possible dawn of a new age within that community and praise was heaped on Chayka simply for having an analytical approach rather than waiting to see what results it netted.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think his focus on analytics was seen as the possible dawn of a new age within that community and praise was heaped on Chayka simply for having an analytical approach rather than waiting to see what results it netted.

That's half of it. The other half is his youth and background as an outsider. Obviously, younger generations think they are smarter than the older ones and that experience is overrated.

From there, it was just blind faith in him. It's looking like his experiment is hitting some major turbulence. He made a lot of moves so it will take time to gel but the fact that Vegas is 3-0 is bad news for them. Either Vegas isn't that good and they lost 2 games to them already or they are good and AZ is losing ground in a tough division.

Reactions: cptjeff

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I truly don't get why GMs like this are quickly praised to the top when they've accomplished nothing of toughness. Same went by when Jim Nill during the 15-16 season was getting called the best gm by plenty people in posts here.

What adversity has he had in any decisions he's made? You can make all the talent acquisitions you like when you are in a open have the cap and roster space to add and add. Keeping it up once you have tight cap and are routinely contenders is the hard part.

Welcome to HF where one good game makes you a sure fire HOFamer and a hat trick on opening night makes you a threat to Gretsky's records.

There is a small element that have no patience and want everything defined here and now. We have guys already so bored with this season they are worrying about what next years roster is.

In answer to the OP.

Looks promising, need to win something first. I thought the Rangers trading Stephan was bizarre, did not see that coming at all, especially for a draft pick.

Reactions: sharkhawk

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I would for sure say he is in the top 3 in descending order.

He has done nothing to warrant praise and may have built the worst team in the league.

Reactions: cptjeff

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I would for sure say he is in the top 3 in descending order.

He has done nothing to warrant praise and may have built the worst team in the league.
He clearly has done some praiseworthy things as mentioned previously. Way premature too evaluate. Not sure the mark of a good GM is fully apparent in the first year and a bit of his tenure.

Coyotes have had a poor start to the season. It is only 4 games.

One of the most common complaints against GMS is when they make a mistake they don't correct it. Chayka has shown the willingness to fix his mistakes so far.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Stepan is a forgettable player. Hopefully they can build something around Keller, Domi, Dvorak & Rieder.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Tearing down a team for the ability to maybe in the future build a good team is clearly the #1 priority and #1 hardest thing to do in sports.

Forget winning games. That any one could do. That's not important.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Serious question, if they finish bottom 5 in the league, is Chayka on the hot seat? When are they expected to make the playoffs? Is he expected to resign OEL and Hjalmarsson next offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->