Is John Chayka a top-3 GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He has been in the job for what a year and a half and already boosts a tonof successful trades, signings and acquisitions.

They say it is impossible to acquire top 4 dmen, top line center in this league without paying through the nose. Chayka has added the following top 4 dmen and it's not even been 2 years:

Jacob Chychrun
Alex Goligiski
Jason Demers
Niklas Hjalmarsson.

Almost an entire NHL quality blueline in less than 2 years. And all he had to to give up to get it was taking on the Datsyuk contact, giving up a 4th liner, Connor Murphy and a bunch of crap.

On the forward side he added a top line youngish C and a #1 goalie for a pick. He has gotten excellent value for an aging Mike Smith, made a killing on the Hanzal and Vrbata trades, his great trades are too many to exhaustively list. This is not even counting all his great draft picks and more minor trades like the Boedker trade

Coyotes look better than ever. I don't think there should be any doubt that this guy is one of the best GMs in the league and the real deal.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Too early to say he's a top 3 GM but almost every move he's made I liked.

The only move I wasn't a huge fan of was the Stepan trade.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya it's to early to say, but I am a fan of many things he has done so far.

He's making an active move to try and build the team from being a basement dweller into a contender. But while doing so he also hasn't sacrificed the future yet either. Yes he's traded for Hjalmarsson, and Stepan. But he's also added some great young prospects and talents into the system during the same time such as Crouse, Chychrun, Keller, Joseph, etc.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I truly don't get why GMs like this are quickly praised to the top when they've accomplished nothing of toughness. Same went by when Jim Nill during the 15-16 season was getting called the best gm by plenty people in posts here.

What adversity has he had in any decisions he's made? You can make all the talent acquisitions you like when you are in a open have the cap and roster space to add and add. Keeping it up once you have tight cap and are routinely contenders is the hard part.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I've loved every move he's made but they are still developing. If they all pan out, he might be.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He drafted Keller(his team of scouts I guess under his lead) who should comfortably be the 3rd best player from 16 draft class imo. He has acquired/signed some strong defensemen to booster the current roster. With him the team for Arizona is very similar to the situation the leafs were in last year with better defensive depth a slightly worse goalie and worse coaching staff. I can see Arizona making the playoffs. The great thing for him is he has pieces coming in that can contribute to either the main roster in a year or 2 or be used as trade bait if the yotes need one more piece to become a elite team(in futute). Arizona is gonna be a fun team to watch. They have some really enjoyable players, and can have some great center depth if strome hits his ceiling. Best of luck to them this season.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Ranking GM's is pretty pointless because everyone starts from different circumstances.

But yeah he's made good moves so far, all of his trades have made sense and he seems like smart guy.

The only move I wasn't a huge fan of was the Stepan trade.

I'd say the Stepan trade was a very good one. Like we've seen in the past young teams go nowhere without proper guidance and Stepan is experienced and a fun guy to be around, doesn't stress too much. Not only that but they had a huge hole in their top 6 C. You have to surround the young guys with players that can help you win games and Stepan can do that. Coyotes have spent enough time losing and you have to start to turn that around otherwise the young guys will never learn what it takes to win consistently.

I think we'll see the Yotes win quite a few games this year when the team have lost a couple of games and the belief around the room is being tested - and i'd say Stepan plays a big role in that.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Initial impression is favorable.

Time will tell though; does this group of players make for a good team will answer the question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad