If I'm Jarmo, I'm planning out for 3 years. Here's What's needed

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Can you imagine being bankrupt and turning down $22,000,000+?
I had the exact same thought.

JJ should just throw a dart at an open phone book and pick his next financial advisor. After visiting a turkish prison and watching several gladiator movies, of course.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Jumping on the discussion late-
I imagine the Jackets let Vanek walk in the off-season. Milano is starting to better solidify his spot in the NHL now. Vitaly Abramov will be given an opportunity to make the team as well (not that I necessarily think he will).
I'm surprised that I'm saying this- But, I'd be very intrigued to see if we can sign Ian Cole this off-season to stay with us.
I'd resign Letestu for 1-2 more years. I've flip-flopped on my decisions to sign Calvert in the last year- But, I would be willing to try and sign Calvert to a 2 year contract (max) as a 4th liner, PK forward at around 2 million a year. If Calvert wants 3-4 years at close to 3 million a year, I let him walk. I'd just like to maintain a strong 4th line if possible.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Jumping on the discussion late-
I imagine the Jackets let Vanek walk in the off-season. Milano is starting to better solidify his spot in the NHL now. Vitaly Abramov will be given an opportunity to make the team as well (not that I necessarily think he will).
I'm surprised that I'm saying this- But, I'd be very intrigued to see if we can sign Ian Cole this off-season to stay with us.
I'd resign Letestu for 1-2 more years. I've flip-flopped on my decisions to sign Calvert in the last year- But, I would be willing to try and sign Calvert to a 2 year contract (max) as a 4th liner, PK forward at around 2 million a year. If Calvert wants 3-4 years at close to 3 million a year, I let him walk. I'd just like to maintain a strong 4th line if possible.
Yeah, Vitaly will get a shot but I don't see him sticking. I like a good 4th line too, but there's a limit on how much can be invested in it. If we can tie up Letestu and/or Calvert at $1.8-2.0 for 1-2 years, that'd be good. Which brings us to 4th liner Dubi.........

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yeah, Vitaly will get a shot but I don't see him sticking. I like a good 4th line too, but there's a limit on how much can be invested in it. If we can tie up Letestu and/or Calvert at $1.8-2.0 for 1-2 years, that'd be good. Which brings us to 4th liner Dubi.........
What's wrong with 4th line Dubi... our team has been on a win streak because our 3 skill lines are producing while our grind line is grinding the other team to bits. They are dominating the defensive face off with Test-Tubi as the twin headed dragon and Matty Ice being his beast ass self. Having lines like this next year...

Panarin PLD Cam
Milano Fligs Anderson
Jenner Wennberg Bjorkstrand
Calvert Dubi Letestu

Then that leaves spots for prospects when there's injuries. Of course there's always going to be room to improve on that but right now though only pieces that really need improved are just the young guys getting better such as Milano and bjorkstrand. Jenner for the second straight year is on fire to end the season and foligno has been solid although not putting up 70 points he is what most of the fans that he would be which is around that 50 point mark if it wasn't for injuries. Dubi is a little different as he's not going to put up 50 points anymore and he is a little over paid but for what he brings to the team especially is it defensive Center is worth the money that he's making. Tons of you guys went ape shit crazy when we let go of Mackenzie and dubinsky is twice the leader and player he is and gets under the skin of so many of our Rivals especially Crosby. It's too early to worry about his contract when we're not hurting for cap space. Right now we have no cap issues and nothing to really worry about signing wise other than maybe keeping Cole and Calvert.

Now in the off-season Tampa might be maybe off-loading Tyler Johnson now that they have Miller and they might want to be getting karlson or another upgraded player so we might be able to make a play for a bjorkstrand and Savard and they give us back a + as well. So we could have a down the middle of pld wennberg Johnson dubinsky letestu Sedlak jenner and Fligs plus any prospect that has a chance like stenlund. Then as far as defense goes you have Jones Z Murray Nuti Cole Kukan Carlson and Harrington. I think that what's the move like that you improve your speed and scoring with Johnson while barely downgrading defense based on the way Savard has played this past year. The reason it has to be Savard it is to offset Johnson's contract.

Obviously that's something that likely isn't going to happen and it's just an option I've been thinking about.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Can you imagine being bankrupt and turning down $22,000,000+?
Do we know anything about the terms of the contract? NHL contracts aren't guaranteed after retirement correct?So if we assume it is even for $3.14M per year that would be his annual pay.
I guess what I'm saying is he may realize he only has 4 years left and the CBJ deal only pays him $3.14M per year. Whereas on the open market he feels he can get $4-5M per year.

Again maybe I'm dead wrong and the CBJ did front load it to be $5M, $4.5M, $4M, $3.5M, $3M, $1M, $1M which in that case it would make sense for him to sign it.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
What's wrong with 4th line Dubi... our team has been on a win streak because our 3 skill lines are producing while our grind line is grinding the other team to bits. They are dominating the defensive face off with Test-Tubi as the twin headed dragon and Matty Ice being his beast ass self. Having lines like this next year...

Panarin PLD Cam
Milano Fligs Anderson
Jenner Wennberg Bjorkstrand
Calvert Dubi Letestu

Then that leaves spots for prospects when there's injuries. Of course there's always going to be room to improve on that but right now though only pieces that really need improved are just the young guys getting better such as Milano and bjorkstrand. Jenner for the second straight year is on fire to end the season and foligno has been solid although not putting up 70 points he is what most of the fans that he would be which is around that 50 point mark if it wasn't for injuries. Dubi is a little different as he's not going to put up 50 points anymore and he is a little over paid but for what he brings to the team especially is it defensive Center is worth the money that he's making. Tons of you guys went ape **** crazy when we let go of Mackenzie and dubinsky is twice the leader and player he is and gets under the skin of so many of our Rivals especially Crosby. It's too early to worry about his contract when we're not hurting for cap space. Right now we have no cap issues and nothing to really worry about signing wise other than maybe keeping Cole and Calvert.

Now in the off-season Tampa might be maybe off-loading Tyler Johnson now that they have Miller and they might want to be getting karlson or another upgraded player so we might be able to make a play for a bjorkstrand and Savard and they give us back a + as well. So we could have a down the middle of pld wennberg Johnson dubinsky letestu Sedlak jenner and Fligs plus any prospect that has a chance like stenlund. Then as far as defense goes you have Jones Z Murray Nuti Cole Kukan Carlson and Harrington. I think that what's the move like that you improve your speed and scoring with Johnson while barely downgrading defense based on the way Savard has played this past year. The reason it has to be Savard it is to offset Johnson's contract.

Obviously that's something that likely isn't going to happen and it's just an option I've been thinking about.
You don't spend $5M on 4th line players. That he's on 4th line screams he's not worth $5M. There's better ways to use that $5M.

Let me ask you a question. If Dubi were a free agent at year-end, would you offer him a $10M two year deal ($5M AAV)?

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
You don't spend $5M on 4th line players. That he's on 4th line screams he's not worth $5M. There's better ways to use that $5M.

Let me ask you a question. If Dubi were a free agent at year-end, would you offer him a $10M two year deal ($5M AAV)?
No. But having him on the team at 5mil for 2 years and not needing cap relief and having him on the 4th line makes us better then a normal 4th line C like Sedlak... I take 5mil Dubi on the 4th line every year. If we were a team in a bad cap spot I'm with you. Thanks to Jarmo we can afford Dubi on the 4th at 5mil for 2 years. Don't worry about the price worry about the play.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Do we know anything about the terms of the contract? NHL contracts aren't guaranteed after retirement correct?So if we assume it is even for $3.14M per year that would be his annual pay.
I guess what I'm saying is he may realize he only has 4 years left and the CBJ deal only pays him $3.14M per year. Whereas on the open market he feels he can get $4-5M per year.

Again maybe I'm dead wrong and the CBJ did front load it to be $5M, $4.5M, $4M, $3.5M, $3M, $1M, $1M which in that case it would make sense for him to sign it.

Even if what you say is true, it's pretty ballsy/insane to me... He may have royally F'd himself. Hope he has some non-hockey skills....

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Obviously you're not going to offer him that contract to be a 4th line player, but it is what it is now, what else are you gonna do? Waste more cap in the to buy him out?

Unless he becomes absolutely worthless (he's not yet) he's fine where he's at. Best case scenario someone else wants him and we retain some salary and trade him next season. But that's pretty much our best bet unless you wanna add another buyout to the list.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Obviously you're not going to offer him that contract to be a 4th line player, but it is what it is now, what else are you gonna do? Waste more cap in the to buy him out?

Unless he becomes absolutely worthless (he's not yet) he's fine where he's at. Best case scenario someone else wants him and we retain some salary and trade him next season. But that's pretty much our best bet unless you wanna add another buyout to the list.
Your last paragraph - best case..... - is exactly where I'm going. I'm not inclined toward a buyout.....My response was directed toward value. It's a horrible contract and if you feel otherwise, you're letting your heart overtake your brain.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Your last paragraph - best case..... - is exactly where I'm going. I'm not inclined toward a buyout.....My response was directed toward value. It's a horrible contract and if you feel otherwise, you're letting your heart overtake your brain.
It's not good, but he's still good enough and contributing enough such that, barring something miraculous, the cure is still worse than the disease.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It's not good, but he's still good enough and contributing enough such that, barring something miraculous, the cure is still worse than the disease.
I hear you, Viqsi, but I land in a different place.......While it's not a fatal disease, the cure (trade) may or may not be worse.....again I'm not a buyout guy, but I would like to see Jarmo come up with a creative deal which would likely be a bundle to better use the money. And if not hopefully not I'll get a pleasant surprise - Dubi serving up surprising play.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

NHL contracts are guaranteed. If a player is "bought out", he must be paid 100% of bonus money and 2/3rds of the remainder of the contract. Players under 24 (or 25) can be bought out for 1/3rd.

Also, no yearly salary (including bonus) in a contract can be greater than double of the lowest salary + bonus year of the same contract. i.e. If a player makes $5 million in any year of a contract, no year can be lower than $2.5 million.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Tell me, who is our best defensive center?

Or name the 3 best defensive forwards on the team...

There is more to hockey than goals scored.

Our top line, while actually quite good/responsible defensively, is not best used in that "role". Dubois shouldn't be forced into "that" quite yet. A line with Milano and Bjorkstrand, like the 1st line, shouldn't be used in that "role" either. And while people like to hype up Wennberg's defensive ability when he isn't scoring, he's quite clearly our WORST defensive center on the roster, and worse as a "defensive center" than a few of our "wingers". Jenner/Foligno/Letestu/Dubi all better. Wennberg/Vanek in a defensive role would be a disaster.

While we CAN debate just HOW important of a "role" he plays, you cannot debate that he DOES PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE. And he is pretty clearly the best option.

The dude is probably paid 500k too much per year. If you think teams wouldn't be lining up to take him or sign him for 4.5-5 mil a year, you don't know what you are talking about.

So Dubi at 5.5 is terrible but you people loved Wisniewski at 5.5? Because of points?

Reactions: mikeyp24

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Tell me, who is our best defensive center?

Or name the 3 best defensive forwards on the team...

There is more to hockey than goals scored.

Our top line, while actually quite good/responsible defensively, is not best used in that "role". Dubois shouldn't be forced into "that" quite yet. A line with Milano and Bjorkstrand, like the 1st line, shouldn't be used in that "role" either. And while people like to hype up Wennberg's defensive ability when he isn't scoring, he's quite clearly our WORST defensive center on the roster, and worse as a "defensive center" than a few of our "wingers". Jenner/Foligno/Letestu/Dubi all better. Wennberg/Vanek in a defensive role would be a disaster.

While we CAN debate just HOW important of a "role" he plays, you cannot debate that he DOES PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE. And he is pretty clearly the best option.

The dude is probably paid 500k too much per year. If you think teams wouldn't be lining up to take him or sign him for 4.5-5 mil a year, you don't know what you are talking about.

So Dubi at 5.5 is terrible but you people loved Wisniewski at 5.5? Because of points?
Thank you, Bus....You actually make me feel much better now knowing we can retain $1M of salary and have teams lining up to trade for him.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Thank you, Bus....You actually make me feel much better now knowing we can retain $1M of salary and have teams lining up to trade for him.
Tough to argue with Moe, but lets just say we do draw Pittsburgh.. Dubi does what he does and punks on Crosby for 7 games.. he would be hated in Pittsburgh, but loved everywhere else. And as mentioned repeatedly.. what better option do we have?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Tough to argue with Moe, but lets just say we do draw Pittsburgh.. Dubi does what he does and punks on Crosby for 7 games.. he would be hated in Pittsburgh, but loved everywhere else. And as mentioned repeatedly.. what better option do we have?
He didn't punk anyone in that series, also failed with that GWG in OT. This year ... he's just a warm body.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If Dubinsky is the worst contract we have, we could do worse, and with the cap expected to rise, I'm not thrilled with it, but He makes a really good 4th line C, and who's to say He won't find his game.

I'll take Dubi, Letestu, and Calvert on the 4th line any day.
Beats the hell out of Hannikainen-Sedlak-Motte.

I'd like to hear if others think Sedlak regressed, or didn't have much help on the 4th line this year. His been a big disappointment to me.

Last edited:

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Look at some of these contracts, especially their length,
and Dubinsky's don't look as bad.

Seabrook at nearly 7 million for 6 more years, now that's BAD!

screen-shot-2018-03-10-at-2-57-09-pm-png.103843

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yup, a "warm body" on the #1 PK.

Yeah. That 25th (out of 31) PK:laugh:

Dubinsky has no points in his last 15 games. He's -6 in those games. He's been stripped of his asst. captaincy. He's been sent home from the team for who knows what-but it had to be a pretty bad. He got his face caved in so bad that he probably can never fight again.

He's averaging 0.28 points per game. 12th among CBJ forwards. That's the equivalent to the worst 4th liner.

NHL.com - Stats

He's a bigger liability than Umberger was and he's not going to get better. He's going to get worse.

3 more years left at almost $6 million per. A real bargain. Nothing like having an aging 4th liner who is deemed incapable of being an assistant captain and is the lowest point producing forward (PPG) being the 3rd highest paid player on the team.

He's been in rapid decline for 2 seasons. He's barely an NHLer anymore. Running around like a chicken with his head cut off in his defensive zone doesn't make him a good defensive player. It makes him a player who can't generate any offense and who stifles other's offense so he's always in his own zone.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Bobby Ryan for Dubinsky trade. Ottawa would retain $700,000 per year on the first 3 years of Ryan's contract (4 years remaining compared to 3 for Dubinsky). Each team would have a $6.55 million cap hit and cash expenditure for those 3 years. The Jackets would be on the hook for the $7.25 million of the last year which effectively can't be bought out due to the bonus portion of the contract. Ryan is producing at a bit better than 0.50 PPG and while he's in decline, he's not finished like Dubinsky. It's about the only possible trade that I can envision. If something like this can't be worked out, then the CBJ will just have to bite the bullet and buy the bum out. The owner of the Senators is a notorious penny pincher and saving $7.25 million (or more if he immediately buys Dubinsky out) could make the deal a real possibility. I want 4 free Lexus seat season tickets courtesy of Eugene Melnyk if this happens with the terms I've outlined.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad