If I'm Jarmo, I'm planning out for 3 years. Here's What's needed

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So we've had a few games worth of Vanek, Letestu & Cole. Who do you re-sign?
I think Cole is priority 1, then Vanek, then Letestu.
If all three can be signed for say between 7 to 8 million for 2 years (Cole gets 3) I think it would be a great bridge move until some of the prospects are ready.

Could keep Jenner & Dubi and still be cap compliant next season. Calvert is a casualty in this scenario and Dubi has to go somehow after next year at the latest so Bob & Bread can be re-signed.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So we've had a few games worth of Vanek, Letestu & Cole. Who do you re-sign?
I think Cole is priority 1, then Vanek, then Letestu.
If all three can be signed for say between 7 to 8 million for 2 years (Cole gets 3) I think it would be a great bridge move until some of the prospects are ready.

Could keep Jenner & Dubi and still be cap compliant next season. Calvert is a casualty in this scenario and Dubi has to go somehow after next year at the latest so Bob & Bread can be re-signed.
I say keep Calvert and lose Vanek if that's the plan. Calvert-letstu-someone is a great 4th line. And as much as everyone wants to be team Canada and run 4 1st lines of only skill I don't think that's our best option.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Korpisalo reminds me of Rinne. Has that same chaotic playstyle with tons of athleticism and and talent. For these guys, it takes a while to get their overall game together. Rinne didn't become a starter in the NHL until he was 26. Korpisalo is only 24. There's similarities there and personally, if I'm Jarmo, I'd make the bold decision and go with Korpisalo, even with the risk of him not panning out and getting burned.

But this is only assuming that you could get a great haul for Bob this summer. "Cap space" and "getting rid of possible disaster contract in 5 years" alone wouldn't cut it. I'm talking serious roster upgrades, which of course should be a given since it's a Vezina caliber goaltender after all.

Teams like Buffalo and Ottawa will be desperate to find a #1 goalie. Buffalo wants to be done with the rebuild already, they are anxious to start winning games and Ottawa won't have their 1st rounder in 2019. The motivation is there. Carolina might take another stab at it. Maybe Florida too, depending on what are Luongo's future plans. You could probably unload for example Dubinsky's contract alongside Bob too.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I say keep Calvert and lose Vanek if that's the plan. Calvert-letstu-someone is a great 4th line. And as much as everyone wants to be team Canada and run 4 1st lines of only skill I don't think that's our best option.
That shorty Is a big reason I say keep Calvy... his PK and 4th line play is huge for us.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Korpisalo reminds me of Rinne. Has that same chaotic playstyle with tons of athleticism and and talent. For these guys, it takes a while to get their overall game together. Rinne didn't become a starter in the NHL until he was 26. Korpisalo is only 24. There's similarities there and personally, if I'm Jarmo, I'd make the bold decision and go with Korpisalo, even with the risk of him not panning out and getting burned.

But this is only assuming that you could get a great haul for Bob this summer. "Cap space" and "getting rid of possible disaster contract in 5 years" alone wouldn't cut it. I'm talking serious roster upgrades, which of course should be a given since it's a Vezina caliber goaltender after all.

Teams like Buffalo and Ottawa will be desperate to find a #1 goalie. Buffalo wants to be done with the rebuild already, they are anxious to start winning games and Ottawa won't have their 1st rounder in 2019. The motivation is there. Carolina might take another stab at it. Maybe Florida too, depending on what are Luongo's future plans. You could probably unload for example Dubinsky's contract alongside Bob too.

Korpi and Rinne being compared to one another for similarities is a thing that... should never, ever happen. Comical...

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Korpi and Rinne being compared to one another for similarities is a thing that... should never, ever happen. Comical...
Not sure what's going on with your eyes and/or reading comprehension but, just to spell it out for you, I was comparing Rinne in ~2006 to Korpisalo. I also said it could end up not working, but weighing the pros and cons, it's a risk I'd take.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I assume all of this involves letting JJ leave. Cole is certainly an upgrade on him anyway.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think it will be very easy to keep Letestu. He will sing for a very moderate amount just to play in Columbus where his family is going to live. Vanek will be the tricky one. But maybe he will also grown to like this place and be willing to take a discount to stay with this team for his last couple of years. Originally, I would also have looked at letting Boone go but he now seems to be a necessity to play wing but take all face offs on the Pooh line. Boone winning the face offs really does give a boost to the line Pooh plays on because we get a chance to keep the puck in the offensive zone with Boone winning the face offs.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think it will be very easy to keep Letestu. He will sing for a very moderate amount just to play in Columbus where his family is going to live. Vanek will be the tricky one. But maybe he will also grown to like this place and be willing to take a discount to stay with this team for his last couple of years. Originally, I would also have looked at letting Boone go but he now seems to be a necessity to play wing but take all face offs on the Pooh line. Boone winning the face offs really does give a boost to the line Pooh plays on because we get a chance to keep the puck in the offensive zone with Boone winning the face offs.

Agree on Letestu. Agree on Boone too as his play has improved. Vanek shouldn't be too tough unless he comes to hate Torts over the next few weeks. 2 years @2.5 should work. I'd try to get Cole for 3 years at 2.5-3. As I mentioned earlier Calvert seems to be a casualty int his scenario but unless he takes a major cut he'll be too expensive.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd try to keep Calvert, Letestu, and Cole. JJ and Vanek can walk

Please explain why you'd keep Calvert over Vanek. (Sore Loser & DJ please respond also)

I'd keep Vanek because I think he comes cheaper (2 years @2.5), he can score goals & there appears to be some chemistry with Wennberg & Jenner and he is good on the pp. Calvert will probably want 3 mill or more for more years, doesn't score many goals and frequently gets hurt and misses lots of games.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Please explain why you'd keep Calvert over Vanek. (Sore Loser & DJ please respond also)

I'd keep Vanek because I think he comes cheaper (2 years @2.5), he can score goals & there appears to be some chemistry with Wennberg & Jenner and he is good on the pp. Calvert will probably want 3 mill or more for more years, doesn't score many goals and frequently gets hurt and misses lots of games.

Vanek could be useful to keep, but he doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have. He's a finished product of what they want Bjorkstrand to be. Plus, we have opportunity to add better players than him in the summer.I think he's perfect as is, a rental who you let explore the market after the year. Kind of like Sam Gagner, except in an obviously shorter time period.

I don't think they keep Calvert (or Vanek), but Calvert is an energizer bunny who can contribute offensively and kills penalties. We don't have any other Matt Calvert. I would keep that if I was GM. He's not irreplaceable but you see how much our 4th line and PK suffered when we let go of MacKenzie, Letestu, and this would be a repeat of those situations.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I would keep Matty around if it's possible, he always shows these flashes of brilliant offensive play to go with his grit, but he can never seem to string it together for more than a game or two at a time.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Vanek - playing on a one year $2M deal. I'd expect his next deal will be similar. His total points place him 2nd among forwards on CBJ.

First off, it's not a question of Matty OR Vanek. They are two different discussions. The former is how badly (and for how much) does the team want to keep him for 4th line duty. What Matty has going for him is that there's no one in Cleveland looking like an NHLer next year.

The Vanek question is about a top 9 player and is there a need. Offensively there's no question he's good value for a 50 point who's solid for 20+ goals. But whose spot would he take - or - what trade packages might it allow to improve the Center position?

Reactions: Jackets Fan

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Vanek is a luxury that isn't really needed. He would probably take Milano's spot in the lineup when we are healthy and I'd rather develop Milano than pay an aging Vanek, all things considered. I don't see it as "keeping Vanek over Calvert", I see it more as keeping Vanek over Milano, and I don't want to do that. I also don't think there's a chance in hell someone will pay Calvert $3 mill over 3 years, but if they do, more power to him.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Simple.

Vanek is an aging goal scorer with a pension for disappearing when it matters.

Calvert is a depth energy piece that is one of the top penalty killers in the league.

Vanek doesn't improve our top-6 and is relegated to being a third line player. If we are trying to improve offensively, go out and get a top-2 line player.

If Vanek wants to set-up here and play bottom 6 minutes, for around $2-$2.5 per year, consider a one year deal. But no more. Calvert is more useful in a bottom 6 role.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Maybe a better response is, Calvert plays faster, and is better suited for the "new" NHL.

Wasn't everyone here complaining about how slow we had been playing, like just last week?

Does Vanek really improve our speed?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
At what price do you keep Calvert. He's making almost 3 this year so I'm guessing he'll want at last that and maybe more for at least 3 years. I hear everyone's arguments for keeping him but he's a pretty expensive 4th liner who doesn't score much.

As for going out and getting a top 6 scorer fine but who's available and at what cost?

I want to see what Vanek brings the next 13 games, Calvert too but right now I still lean to Vanek for his goal scoring and pp skills.

As to why its either not both is strictly cap dictated imo.

Reactions: Lumbus

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
IF you spend too much money on "ice cream" and "candies" you won't have any on a steak. I like Pens model, recognize the core and pay them, everyone around them is expendable. Calvert takes 50 opportunities and finishes 1 and half of them. "always almost". I'm sure you can teach killing penalties someone on ELC with the same skill if not better. About Who you should keep, let every UFA this year walk, except Cole and maybe Letestu (should see how he will play for the rest of those 10 games). Also try to deal Harry to keep Kukan and a spot for him.

Edit: should me "money", not "time". that time changing thing really stings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
IF you spend too much time on "ice cream" and "candies" you won't have any on a steak. I like Pens model, recognize the core and pay them, everyone around them is expendable. Calvert takes 50 opportuninies and finishes 1 and half of them. "always almost". I'm sure you can teach killing penalties someone on ELC with the same skill if not better. About Who you should keep, let every UFA this year walk, except Cole and maybe Letestu (should see how he will play for the rest of those 10 games). Also try to deal Harry to keep Kukan and a spot for him.

Agree completely. Panarin, Jones, Z, Bob, and PLD are core players. Atkinson has a NMC for the next 2 years so may as well put him in that group. Everyone else on this roster is expendable. Many are very expendable. Doesn't mean you get rid of all of them. It's just important to remember that they're very replaceable cogs in the machine.

Signing Calvert to a $2.5m per year multi year deal would be silly. If he walks, he walks.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Btw who read Ask Porty mailbag, the part about JJ deal?

We reported a little while ago that the Blue Jackets made a seven-year offer worth at least $22 million — perhaps a little more — that was rejected by Johnson and his agent during the summer. The Jackets wanted to sign him then because they expected to trade Ryan Murray in a deal for a center. Once the Murray trade(s) fell through and Jack got off to a slow start, the offer was no longer on the table. In recent weeks, a similar offer was sent from the Johnson side of the table to the Blue Jackets, but the Jackets didn’t sign it.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Btw who read Ask Porty mailbag, the part about JJ deal?

We reported a little while ago that the Blue Jackets made a seven-year offer worth at least $22 million — perhaps a little more — that was rejected by Johnson and his agent during the summer. The Jackets wanted to sign him then because they expected to trade Ryan Murray in a deal for a center. Once the Murray trade(s) fell through and Jack got off to a slow start, the offer was no longer on the table. In recent weeks, a similar offer was sent from the Johnson side of the table to the Blue Jackets, but the Jackets didn’t sign it.

Can you imagine being bankrupt and turning down $22,000,000+?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00