If I'm Jarmo, I'm planning out for 3 years. Here's What's needed

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
May be old thinking, but he is literally the only reason they have been competitive for the last 12 months. Letting him walk is like starting completely over.

Traditional isn't necessarily synonymous with "old", I don't even mean it to be negative. It's in the same vein as conventional wisdom. Now that we have that out of the way, moving on from an expansive contract isn't like starting over. It's freeing up cap space to deal with other needs. It's parting ways before his eventual decline and you are stuck with 3-4 years and 30 or so million left to pay with a declining player. If our team can't survive changing goal tenders, we really shouldn't be in the playoff hunt. That just means you are one injury away from a bad season. That is a sign of a terrible team.

None of this is going to persuade his fans. As I said, to each their own.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Traditional isn't necessarily synonymous with "old", I don't even mean it to be negative. It's in the same vein as conventional wisdom. Now that we have that out of the way, moving on from an expansive contract isn't like starting over. It's freeing up cap space to deal with other needs. It's parting ways before his eventual decline and you are stuck with 3-4 years and 30 or so million left to pay with a declining player. If our team can't survive changing goal tenders, we really shouldn't be in the playoff hunt. That just means you are one injury away from a bad season. That is a sign of a terrible team.

Never said I was a huge fan of his. Nor am I implying that they should give him the Carey Price deal. But -- how many players in the history of this franchise have won major awards, in this case multiple Vezina trophies?

You can't just let that player walk in free agency. Unless they can find someone to give them something younger and/or equally valuable, how do you let him go? Especially when Korpisalo has been nothing short of wildly unreliable.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Yep, I agree with you. No goalie is worth 7 million, let alone 8-10 million. Especially a goalie that’s close to 30 , has had multiple groin injuries, and melts down come playoffs . Had the jackets been to multiple finals, and we achieved something , their could be more of a conversation, but if we’re planning 3 years out , no way is Bob in the plans . Now Panarin is an absolute must sign in my eyes And Werenski will be entering his last year of his deal as well, and that will probably be 7 mill per season as well.
The level of hate for a player who made this team being on someone's radar at all is astonishing.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $19,807,686
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $22,283,646

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Never said I was a huge fan of his. Nor am I implying that they should give him the Carey Price deal. But -- how many players in the history of this franchise have won major awards, in this case multiple Vezina trophies?

You can't just let that player walk in free agency. Unless they can find someone to give them something younger and/or equally valuable, how do you let him go? Especially when Korpisalo has been nothing short of wildly unreliable.

Is your implication that Bob is somehow in the realm of a Hasek? He's barely won a playoff game. Bob is going to demand similar to Price.

You have created a nice tower of cards I've discussed before. Because we don't have a better option and our team can't win without a top tier goalie, we basically have to pay him. As far as "walking", I've been suggesting trade him for a while now.

At any rate, this isn't a reflection upon you, but I'm terribly bored talking about Bob. I'm tired about talking about the mismanagement of this teams roster and cap space. No, I'm not really all that impressed with JK. Later.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Addressing the bolded, I think you've taken this statement a bit far.

For example:

Pittsburgh - Murray to Jarry/Niemi
Tampa - Vasilevsky to Budaj
Toronto - Andersen to McBackup
Winnipeg - Hellebuyck to Mason/Hutchinson
Washington - Holtby to Grubauer

Any of those starters goes down (or even has a night off) and the team struggles. By your definition then, these are terrible teams.

Also, I think your commentary is less an indictment of Bob and more of our Defense which is quite good on paper.

Reactions: Sore Loser

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Addressing the bolded, I think you've taken this statement a bit far.

For example:

Pittsburgh - Murray to Jarry/Niemi
Tampa - Vasilevsky to Budaj
Toronto - Andersen to McBackup
Winnipeg - Hellebuyck to Mason/Hutchinson
Washington - Holtby to Grubauer

Any of those starters goes down (or even has a night off) and the team struggles. By your definition then, these are terrible teams.

Also, I think your commentary is less an indictment of Bob and more of our Defense which is quite good on paper.

Sure... I'll play

Washington

Philipp Grubauer216732.621076:41513.9161475600
Braden Holtby44281242.952544:241256.909012513812
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Yeah, sure seems like Washington's "struggles" are because Holtby took a night off.

Oh Toronto....
Curtis McElhinney117402.24615:59314.9322233370
Frederik Andersen51301642.663047:121611.923513517462
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sure, yes, Toronto is terrible with our backup reject.

Pittsburgh

Casey DeSmith73302.24375:43174.9260141882
Tristan Jarry1910422.41995:13469.9212405094
Matt Murray39221222.862163:131014.908110311172
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Oh, yes, Pittsburg is just having rough time with Jarry over Murray.

Yes, Mason sucks for Winnipeg. Is that a reflection of Mason sucking or the team in front of him.

Oh to Washington, interesting stat from 2 seasons ago.

Ben Bishop61352142.063584:381549.926612316724
Andrei Vasilevskiy24111002.761258:38588.9101586460
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And last season....

Ben Bishop32161232.551812:36793.9111778708
Andrei Vasilevskiy50231772.612831:161357.917212314802
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'll let you connect the dots.

Thank you for your response. Our team defense isn't very good. It's pretty well established that if Bob isn't in Vezina form we struggle. That is a reflection of how poor the team can be in front of our goal tending. We were NOT a 100+ point team, that is being reflected this season. It's actually amazing with our fundamentals that we are even in playoff contention. We have one of the worst offensive teams with might be one of the top 3 worst special teams play. Bob really is the main reason we are middle of the pack in GA.

Cheers.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Sure... I'll play

Washington

Philipp Grubauer216732.621076:41513.9161475600
Braden Holtby44281242.952544:241256.909012513812
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yeah, sure seems like Washington's "struggles" are because Holtby took a night off.

Oh Toronto....
Curtis McElhinney117402.24615:59314.9322233370
Frederik Andersen51301642.663047:121611.923513517462
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sure, yes, Toronto is terrible with our backup reject.

Pittsburgh

Casey DeSmith73302.24375:43174.9260141882
Tristan Jarry1910422.41995:13469.9212405094
Matt Murray39221222.862163:131014.908110311172
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Oh, yes, Pittsburg is just having rough time with Jarry over Murray.

Yes, Mason sucks for Winnipeg. Is that a reflection of Mason sucking or the team in front of him.

Oh to Washington, interesting stat from 2 seasons ago.

Ben Bishop61352142.063584:381549.926612316724
Andrei Vasilevskiy24111002.761258:38588.9101586460
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And last season....

Ben Bishop32161232.551812:36793.9111778708
Andrei Vasilevskiy50231772.612831:161357.917212314802
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'll let you connect the dots.

Thank you for your response. Our team defense isn't very good. It's pretty well established that if Bob isn't in Vezina form we struggle. That is a reflection of how poor the team can be in front of our goal tending. We were NOT a 100+ point team, that is being reflected this season. It's actually amazing with our fundamentals that we are even in playoff contention. We have one of the worst offensive teams with might be one of the top 3 worst special teams play. Bob really is the main reason we are middle of the pack in GA.

Cheers.
Let Mcbackup play 50 games and let's see if his numbers even remotely look like they do now

Same goes for Grubauer and Jarry.

Reactions: Sore Loser

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I've enjoyed reading all of these goalie stats, but there's a big difference between those team and the CBJ - those teams can score; we can't. We regularly field a forward group,of 12 that includes 6-7 that can't score goals. GAA is a misleading stat in some ways when your gameplan (e.g. CBJ) requires holding your opponent to one goal - two if you are targeting a OT/SO win.

.......I,just heard a stat where we've outshot opponents 380+ to 260+ over last ten games and the results tell a big story on our offensive talent or scheme (I'll let y'all decide that point).

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I've enjoyed reading all of these goalie stats, but there's a big difference between those team and the CBJ - those teams can score; we can't. We regularly field a forward group,of 12 that includes 6-7 that can't score goals. GAA is a misleading stat in some ways when your gameplan (e.g. CBJ) requires holding your opponent to one goal - two if you are targeting a OT/SO win.

.......I,just heard a stat where we've outshot opponents 380+ to 260+ over last ten games and the results tell a big story on our offensive talent or scheme (I'll let y'all decide that point).
Still some stats for you! :) Bob is actually #3 in sv% on 5X5 and also #4 in GAA. Under the pressure he has with our 1goal per game offense, it's amazing. What is ruining his stats is our PK.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Let Mcbackup play 50 games and let's see if his numbers even remotely look like they do now

Same goes for Grubauer and Jarry.

Always trying to deflect and distract. What I was responding to was that the teams were struggling with their backups. Clearly that wasn't the case with the players you listed. I also illustrated the progressive stats for the Tampa goalie.

We're great!

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

It's not just about offense though and that's really where we were going with the goaltender stats. It's about team defense. Look at the Penguins and tell me you'd rather have their D over ours. I wouldn't. The system they play (which I think they do very well, credit Mike Sullivan) utilizes it's strengths of backing off opponents and forcing them to deal with the Pens' offensive speed on the break out. Also if you watch their D zone coverage, the entire part of it is predicated on collapsing to the puck quickly and then springing that fast breakout that uses their wingers' speed. It's a better system that covers their weaker D. It also as Blah was pointing out allows them to not rely on goaltending as much (though they did rely on Murray heavily in both playoff pushes).

How this relates to us is what we need to do to fix our D group to use it better so we rely on Bob less. Jones, Werenski, Nutivaara, and to a lesser extent Murray, Kukan, and Harrington all have the ability to hit passes out of the zone or skate out of the zone. Yet we constantly get bottled up making short dump passes at our own blue line to get out. Or we sit back and wait for a two line pass to develop in a clogged neutral zone. This lets the opposition build up time to stack the far blue line against our O zone entry. The other part is we rely on a conservative box in the D zone that plays down low, collapsing to the goal instead of the puck, so our breakout starts from further back and gets trapped at times.

If you can't tell I'm a believer that breakouts are one of the most crucial aspects to the game. It's how you funnel out of your zone and sets you up for entry to the other zone.

Reactions: EDM

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Hitting stretch breakout passes means the forwards have to work harder to get open in the neutral zone and maintain speed.

I don't think we have the conditioning or skill to handle that on a larger scale.

Reactions: hardkorejackets

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Hitting stretch breakout passes means the forwards have to work harder to get open in the neutral zone and maintain speed.

I don't think we have the conditioning or skill to handle that on a larger scale.

Sure Kessel is a fantastic talent. But really Rust, Hagelin, Sheary, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, and Hornqvist are not really more skilled to me.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I voiced some my opinions so I think it’s fair I take a stab at this.

Frist and foremost, Torts and his staff has to go. I have enjoyed what Torts has brought to the franchise but what has been built here by Jarmo (in this case me I guess – I must have been confused at times) doesn’t align anymore with JT’s core abilities. I have enjoyed the teaching moments from this staff but the game decision making for player utilization and game strategy is not aligning with how I want to go forward.

My Defense core has the ability to skate and move the puck, I need this to be used more heavily for breakouts to create offense more like the USWNT does with Brad Stauber coaching (quick example) or the San Jose Sharks. I also need a more aggressive unit that doesn’t allow teams to bounce the puck around for pretty plays on the PK (and let’s fix the PP while we’re at it). All this stems from coaching, so while I like these guys, they’ve got to go. Candidates I might look at include: Dineen, Granato, Stauber, etc.

I also clean house at the AHL level for coaching. There’s a clear difference between Bednar’s group and what we have today (even though the cupboard is much more bare now since those players are in the NHL).

Next up has to be the decision of whether or not I want to retool this group or blow it up. I think retooling will get me there, that and I want to try to make a push before I get fired since, you know, expiration dates. Plus Columbus deserves a winner.
So retooling, I need to look at the guys that aren’t going to be in the long term plan (JJ and Calvert) or the game is starting to pass by (Dubi, Foligno, Jenner, and maybe Savard), especially with the identity I want our new coach to build. I also have to look at cost factors (Dubi, Foligno, Jenner, Bob, Panarin, and Werenski).

JJ is gone for picks/prospects or just UFA.
Calvert, if I can get him on an extension for less than he makes now I re-sign him otherwise he’s in the same boat as JJ (though less valuable to other teams). I love what he brings but with a base salary of 2.9M he’s not going to work out long term fiscally.
I look at moving a retained Dubi (15%) + first for someone like Victor Rask or maybe with Jenner to Ottawa for Stone. Retention obviously impacted by who you target. I’ll use the first one just as part of the example though I prefer Stone (he’s also UFA this summer). I also assume I can get Dubi to another young and exciting team to sell him on the trade to waive his NMC. Cap-wise this leaves me at moving - 5.85M + .878M + 4M so a net .9725M freed up. I don’t want to retain more with a first going to Carolina but this makes it more neutral on their part to take an older player.

With the Dubi Trade and my UFA moves I’m left with:

Panarin – PLD – Cam
Bjorkstrand – Wennberg – Anderson
Jenner – Rask – Foligno
Hannikainen – Sedlak – Motte/Schroeder

Werenski – Jones
Murray – Nutivaara
Kukan – Savard
Harrington
Carlsson

Next I’m moving Jenner (2.9M needing raise RFA) and Savard (4.25M) to free up additional cap and move on from players. At this point I probably keep Foligno since he can play the game fast enough for now and I can’t gut all my leaders. So I move Jenner to SJS for Kevin Labanc. I’m losing a bit of size, but Rask isn’t a small boy either. This frees up 2.2M off Jenner’s current contract.
Or I throw Jenner + Savard to EDM for Klefbom and a 4th. I bet EDM fans would hate that. But it clears 3M cap from us and gives the Oilers a Maroon/Cammalleri replacement that is better.
I think I’m going with the latter.

Now I’m working on seeing what I’m going to need for 2019:

Bread (8) – PLD (.9) – Cam (5.875)
Bjork (1.5) – Wenn (4.9) – Andy (1.85)
Foligno (5.5) – Rask (4) – XXXX
Hannikainen (.675) – Sedlak (1.1) – Motte (.800)

Werenski (7) – Jones (5.4)
Klefbom (4.1) – Nuti (2.5)
Kukan (1.1) – Murray (3.2)
Harrington (.900)
Carlsson (.900)

Bob (9)
Korpi (1.3)

That gets me to 78.6M for 2019. If I assume a 8% rise per year then 2019 will be roughly 86.9M. I’ve got room to sign Mark Stone (UFA 2018) and maybe a different Dman. I like what I’ve seen from Kukan and Nuti a lot. I do think Harrington is a capable 6. Most of my assumptions though are really going to rely on the new coaching group. I want more speed and depth vs. superstars. And yes, I'm counting on some growth and Edmonton to cave ;)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Sure Kessel is a fantastic talent. But really Rust, Hagelin, Sheary, Kuhnhackl, Rowney, and Hornqvist are not really more skilled to me.
I don't think that the Pens use a long-pass breakout plan like the Jackets would. Don't they rely more on the forwards to carry the puck out of the zone rather than the defense (aside from Letang)?

That aside, by skill I mean the ability to take a hard pass at full stride and keep going. The Jackets forwards have a real problem with handling passes, especially ones which aren't right on the tape.

I thought conditioning was the big thing with Tortorella.
It is but that doesn't mean the players are well conditioned (and many are likely playing injured). I'm just saying, going full speed in the neutral zone to get away from coverage wears out players really fast.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Frist and foremost, Torts and his staff has to go. I have enjoyed what Torts has brought to the franchise but what has been built here by Jarmo (in this case me I guess – I must have been confused at times) doesn’t align anymore with JT’s core abilities. I have enjoyed the teaching moments from this staff but the game decision making for player utilization and game strategy is not aligning with how I want to go forward.

My Defense core has the ability to skate and move the puck, I need this to be used more heavily for breakouts to create offense more like the USWNT does with Brad Stauber coaching (quick example) or the San Jose Sharks. I also need a more aggressive unit that doesn’t allow teams to bounce the puck around for pretty plays on the PK (and let’s fix the PP while we’re at it). All this stems from coaching, so while I like these guys, they’ve got to go. Candidates I might look at include: Dineen, Granato, Stauber, etc.

I also clean house at the AHL level for coaching. There’s a clear difference between Bednar’s group and what we have today (even though the cupboard is much more bare now since those players are in the NHL).

Next up has to be the decision of whether or not I want to retool this group or blow it up. I think retooling will get me there, that and I want to try to make a push before I get fired since, you know, expiration dates. Plus Columbus deserves a winner.
So retooling, I need to look at the guys that aren’t going to be in the long term plan (JJ and Calvert) or the game is starting to pass by (Dubi, Foligno, Jenner, and maybe Savard), especially with the identity I want our new coach to build. I also have to look at cost factors (Dubi, Foligno, Jenner, Bob, Panarin, and Werenski).

Calvert, if I can get him on an extension for less than he makes now I re-sign him otherwise he’s in the same boat as JJ (though less valuable to other teams). I love what he brings but with a base salary of 2.9M he’s not going to work out long term fiscally.
I look at moving a retained Dubi (15%) + first for someone like Victor Rask or maybe with Jenner to Ottawa for Stone. Retention obviously impacted by who you target. I’ll use the first one just as part of the example though I prefer Stone (he’s also UFA this summer). I also assume I can get Dubi to another young and exciting team to sell him on the trade to waive his NMC. Cap-wise this leaves me at moving - 5.85M + .878M + 4M so a net .9725M freed up. I don’t want to retain more with a first going to Carolina but this makes it more neutral on their part to take an older player.

Panarin – PLD – Cam
Jenner – Rask – Foligno

Werenski – Jones
Murray – Nutivaara
Kukan – Savard
Harrington
Carlsson

Next I’m moving Jenner (2.9M needing raise RFA) and Savard (4.25M) to free up additional cap and move on from players. At this point I probably keep Foligno since he can play the game fast enough for now and I can’t gut all my leaders. So I move Jenner to SJS for Kevin Labanc. I’m losing a bit of size, but Rask isn’t a small boy either. This frees up 2.2M off Jenner’s current contract.
Or I throw Jenner + Savard to EDM for Klefbom and a 4th. I bet EDM fans would hate that. But it clears 3M cap from us and gives the Oilers a Maroon/Cammalleri replacement that is better.

Harrington (.900)
Carlsson (.900)

Bob (9)
Korpi (1.3)

That gets me to 78.6M for 2019. If I assume a 8% rise per year then 2019 will be roughly 86.9M. I’ve got room to sign Mark Stone (UFA 2018) and maybe a different Dman. I like what I’ve seen from Kukan and Nuti a lot. I do think Harrington is a capable 6. Most of my assumptions though are really going to rely on the new coaching group. I want more speed and depth vs. superstars. And yes, I'm counting on some growth and Edmonton to cave ;)

I like the idea, but this is a lot of assumed trades and outcomes.

No way someone takes Dubinsky. He has the right to pick and choose where he wants to go, and there's no way Ottawa is on his short list. Then you have to find them willing -- even 15% retained, he is an aging, overpaid third liner.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Panarin – PLD – Cam
Jenner – Rask – Foligno

Werenski – Jones
Murray – Nutivaara
Kukan – Savard
Harrington
Carlsson

Harrington (.900)
Carlsson (.900)

Bob (9)
Korpi (1.3)

While I’m not sure I’m on board with the players you have coming in - though not saying they’re not good adds - I’m directly aligned with the players you’re seeking to move and retain. ....what a problem it’d solve if Milano or Abramov was an NHL keeper.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Always trying to deflect and distract. What I was responding to was that the teams were struggling with their backups. Clearly that wasn't the case with the players you listed. I also illustrated the progressive stats for the Tampa goalie.

We're great!
Sorry for some reason I thought you replied to SLs post.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The level of hate for a player who made this team being on someone's radar at all is astonishing.
Thanks for adding to the thread :help:. I have no hate for Bob. I do have hate for paying a goalie 8-10 million dollars , that has no big wins on his resume, that melts down when the playoffs come, and will be 30 soon. It’s all about cap management , and you put emotions aside . As Blah said , a good goalie becomes a great goalie if you have a solid defense . A good goalie can be had for 1/3 of what Bob will be looking for . And with this team , and the amount of young players that will be coming into their own, you don’t waste that cap space on a goalie .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Totally agree , and that is why you don’t waste 10 mill per season on the goalie position. You could grab another Panarin , sign a good goalie , and be much better off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad