Helene St. James Holland (probably) Won't Re-Sign Quincey, Richards (before July 1st (if at all))

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It'll actually be really interesting to see who even wants Quincey and on what type of contract.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I must say though, three new coaches and letting Richards and KFQ walk is an impressive start to the offseason for Kenny and the boys. That's the easy part but its a good sign.

It's a good start for a much needed restructuring. I do hope Helm is part of the addition by subtraction equation. I think you stated it pretty well in your pevious post why he needs to go.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Would you feel the same way if Ericcson was a free agent and Quincy was signed for four more years?

I would totally rather have Quincey on the long-term deal. Quincey can still play in the top 4 and look decent. Retain 300k on that sucker and Quincey becomes a solid #4 at 3.9M. That's almost a nice little trade acquisition for some team. Could get that off the books in no time for a 2nd or 3rd round pick to whichever undesirable organization misses out in free agency.

Now I'm dreaming about an off-season where Ericsson is a UFA and Quincey is traded.:cry:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I must say though, three new coaches and letting Richards and KFQ walk is an impressive start to the offseason for Kenny and the boys. That's the easy part but its a good sign.

Holland broke the seal when he traded a homegrown Red Wings lifer in Kindl.

I just picture Holland in a room with his therapist, on the phone with Dale Tallon.

Holland: "Hey, Dale? Yeah I...I think I'm going to take you up on your offer for Kindl." *laughs nervously, looks at therapist who nods approvingly* "Yup...Like you said...6th rounder. Uh uh. Ok." *Hangs up the phone, looks at therapist, tears in his eyes* "I guess I can do it!"

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I would totally rather have Quincey on the long-term deal. Quincey can still play in the top 4 and look decent. Retain 300k on that sucker and Quincey becomes a solid #4 at 3.9M. That's almost a nice little trade acquisition for some team. Could get that off the books in no time for a 2nd or 3rd round pick to whichever undesirable organization misses out in free agency.

Now I'm dreaming about an off-season where Ericsson is a UFA and Quincey is traded.:cry:

Yea, Quincey has way more value than Ericsson at that price point. If it were Quincey locked up on that deal I really wouldn't be worried about it.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Yeah if Quincey was signed to E's contract and E was getting let go it would be better. Not 'much' better but better

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I just picture Holland in a room with his therapist, on the phone with Dale Tallon.

Holland: "Hey, Dale? Yeah I...I think I'm going to take you up on your offer for Kindl." *laughs nervously, looks at therapist who nods approvingly* "Yup...Like you said...6th rounder. Uh uh. Ok." *Hangs up the phone, looks at therapist, tears in his eyes* "I guess I can do it!"

Hah. Too bad Holland will still re-sign Helm and Miller. I'd rather bring back Richards for another year than re-sign Helm for the 5 years he'll get.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

:laugh:

And all it took was Kindl not being able to hold a permanent spot in the lineup for 6 seasons under two different coaches! :(

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hah. Too bad Holland will still re-sign Helm and Miller. I'd rather bring back Richards for another year than re-sign Helm for the 5 years he'll get.

Sure hope not, Wouldn't mind Miller back for 1 year at $1 million but to think that Holland would give Helm a 5 year deal at $3.5 million scares me at little. Would rather save that money and either sign a D man like Demers or maybe go after Brouwer. Not really interested in bringing back Helm maybe for $3 million short term that's about it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I feel like Helm would already be signed if he was staying. Could be wrong. Miller I wouldn't mind back as a cheap #13-14. Heck it could be an absolute necessity if we throw big money at Okposo/Yandle/Vatanen/etc.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I feel like Helm would already be signed if he was staying. Could be wrong. Miller I wouldn't mind back as a cheap #13-14. Heck it could be an absolute necessity if we throw big money at Okposo/Yandle/Vatanen/etc.

Helm will test the waters and when Holland strikes out on any real upgrades, he'll be back at more money than he'd get anywhere else.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Quincy is a fine third pairing guy that brings a physical edge to his game.

Aug 6, 2012
Quincy is a fine third pairing guy that brings a physical edge to his game.

Which is the last thing this team needs at the moment considering our situation.

It is impressive how he has transformed his game. Who knows where he would be without the influence of Babcock.

Last edited:

Slapper

Oct 26, 2015
The biggest loss with Helm is that Im no longer able to do those crazy fast shorthanded breakaway goals in EA's NHL 17.

AA Im looking at you buddy to replace him.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I am hoping that means KH is serious about going after Stamkos. Richards isn't coming back. Let Q and possibly Helm walk. Sign Stamkos, then go from there. I think it can be done. Oh, we can probably let Miller walk too.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I am hoping that means KH is serious about going after Stamkos. Richards isn't coming back. Let Q and possibly Helm walk. Sign Stamkos, then go from there. I think it can be done. Oh, we can probably let Miller walk too.

He'd have to be an idiot not to. It fills a need, it would be a boon to the organization, it would bring a ton of hype, and it would put some sheen back on Holland's rep. Datsyuk gone? No problem. Zetterberg/Datsyuk deteriorating? Replaced by Stamkos/Larkin in less than a year. At least that's what the media machine would say.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Or, they could have taken one of the other studs that was available in one of the worst drafts in recent history. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Besides that, there was little chance that they were going to take a d anyway. Kindl and smith were still seen as good prospects, as well as sproul just winning the Chl dman of the year. Like he said, it's time to get over it. If that was the worst move that holland made he would still be a god around here.
It's not that Ken Holland went out and paid $100 million for a bag of pucks. Sadly, that approach would've actually been LESS damaging to the long-term direction of the franchise, because that would've landed them squarely in lottery contention, and we'd have better picks to at least have a better chance of landing high-end players (and, for that matter, to prevent the last several years of wasting picks on dead-end deadline rentals).

Instead, Holland has made a very long list of "meh" moves. No individual move was the smoking gun or fatal flaw, but collectively, it landed the franchise squarely within Averageville. And in Averageville, you neither have a shot to win anything worthwhile, nor do you have a shot to develop enough quality talent to provide the next core for future contention. So here we are, enjoying "the fruits" of Averageville.

Guys like Quincey and Richards need to hit the road and never come back. Not because they're horrendous players, but because they're band-aids that are preventing the end of what is clearly over, and the growth of what needs to come.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Best 3rd line center in the world.
If a poor man's Kris Draper is the best 3rd line center in the world, I fear for the quality of centers in general.

Helm has served a role, but is a prime candidate to no longer be worth what the market will offer, and you don't pay a guy for what he USED to do.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If a poor man's Kris Draper is the best 3rd line center in the world, I fear for the quality of centers in general.

Helm has served a role, but is a prime candidate to no longer be worth what the market will offer, and you don't pay a guy for what he USED to do.

In a full 82 game season. He probably scores 15 goals and 30 points or around. Can't ask for much more then that

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
Helm is okay for $2M/year for 2 years.. Thats his value. However, I like the Wings to have a new look next year.. No more stoned-hand..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad