Helene St. James Holland (probably) Won't Re-Sign Quincey, Richards (before July 1st (if at all))

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I agree with you that there are most certainly several other factors that are more important than what we're discussing. And for a lot of players, they probably don't care at all, they're just happy to get a contract. But I do think it comes into play for some guys some of the time. I know for a fact it's come into play in lower leagues, so I can only assume it has the potential to come into play in the NHL.

fair enough, i can agree to that

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I dunno... " before July 1st if at all"... that's what happened with Quincey before!

That was exactly my first thought. That the unspoken end of Holland's sentence is "until I kick some tires and strike out, then come crawling back."

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I was sure he also had trouble with his hips though, I'm pretty sure Ansar Khan said something about it in a Q&A. Sounded like Khan was certain that Ericsson wouldn't be able to play out his contract.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/08/red_wings_outlook_jonathan_eri.html
And in this article it seems like he even have trouble walking because of them.

Thanks for the link. I've seen people here referring to his hip issue but had never actually heard or seen anything about it being a chronic thing. It's weird it doesn't get mentioned more because it's a pretty big deal.

Ericsson hasn't been the same since his shattered finger, which wasn't surprising the season after it happened because he said he couldn't even hold weights properly to train. But the hip problems are even more worrisome. Rather than a couple down seasons he may be going the way of Derian Hatcher post ACL injury.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That was exactly my first thought. That the unspoken end of Holland's sentence is "until I kick some tires and strike out, then come crawling back."

Of course the big meatball is Helm. Feels like it's Helm that will choose what happens there. He might want a bigger role than what Blashill offered. And more money than Holland should spend.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I was sure he also had trouble with his hips though, I'm pretty sure Ansar Khan said something about it in a Q&A. Sounded like Khan was certain that Ericsson wouldn't be able to play out his contract.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/08/red_wings_outlook_jonathan_eri.html

This comment from that article is gold
HAHA let me get this straight: this guy barely has an NHL caliber bone in his body (for starters); he has a a torn ligament in his hand that will never be 100%; he has a hip issue that makes it difficult for him to walk, yet he won't get surgery on it until he retires (which cant come too soon...btw who is he benefitting from this decision, because it sure ain't the team) - yet after all this we are looking for him to REBOUND??? REBOUND?!?!? This dude has never put 5 solid performances together in a row in his CAREER, yet we are looking for him to REBOUND...haha wow. These swedes need to go (referring to mr jokes from the other article)...

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Okay thanks so it's his broken fingers that's been giving him problems. I thought the Swedish article last summer said that he was having hip problems but it's his fingers that's giving him fits.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Well looks like we are going to go for more youth.

right direction in the long run. Might actually be weaker next year.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Its hard. Letting Richards go is the right course of action. Letting Quincey go I am a little more dicey at. I understand we need to correct the D core. But Quincey was at worst, our 3rd best defenceman last year. So we will take a hit there.

I hope personally that we re-sign Quincey if we strike out trading or UFA a better defenceman. I also hope we find a way to get rid of Ericcson but I am not sure its possible.

That way

Dekeyser - UFA
Green - Kronwall
Smith - Marchenko

Oulette Sproul

We need to move out 1 more defenceman than we get back so that we dont expose Oulette/Sproul to waivers. Realistically, I reckon we will end up trading away one of Sproul/Oulette and resigning Quincey.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Its hard. Letting Richards go is the right course of action. Letting Quincey go I am a little more dicey at. I understand we need to correct the D core. But Quincey was at worst, our 3rd best defenceman last year. So we will take a hit there.

I hope personally that we re-sign Quincey if we strike out trading or UFA a better defenceman. I also hope we find a way to get rid of Ericcson but I am not sure its possible.

That way

Dekeyser - UFA
Green - Kronwall
Smith - Marchenko

Oulette Sproul

We need to move out 1 more defenceman than we get back so that we dont expose Oulette/Sproul to waivers. Realistically, I reckon we will end up trading away one of Sproul/Oulette and resigning Quincey.

I seriously doubt that Smith is on the team next season, He was already rumored to be available at the TDL. I see Smith being one of the odd men out could see Holland moving him to Dallas maybe.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013

The problem with our D is that we have a surplus of bodies, but not a surplus of talent. So we've had guys we were once really high on - XO, Sproul, Jensen, Marchenko - get very limited chances to show what they can do in the pros, and now are out of waiver options. That's not all on management, as none of them are really looking to have the talent to be more than bottom pairing to low end middle guys, but sometimes you need to risk the immediate drop (especially as a non-contender) to see what you have. We probably see a dropoff, but ultimately, if you're willing to spend, a Quincey-level player isn't THAT hard to find, and he alone isn't the difference between this defense being good, great, mediocre, or awful.

edmundbenz

Mar 30, 2014
New Jersey
noice.

gdlazHz.gif

Something different

Is that Phil Kessel?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Problem is, Helm will be offered a bigger role and more money IMO.

Also, IMO, he shouldn't be re-signed.

Yeah, I don't want Helm back. I've been firm that the team needs to keep either Sheahan OR Helm. Not both. They tend to fill a similar niche, even if they go about it differently. If you use Sheahan as a trade chip, well, then you have a spot for Helm. If you're just going to keep Sheahan, then bye Helm, enjoy your new team.

Is that Phil Kessel?

Blew my mind the first time I realized that was Robert Redford. Looks nothing like we are used to seeing him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't mind keeping Quincey, I just don't like Big E..

They fill basically the same role, which is providing little to no offense while often scrambling to prevent goals. There was a time I liked E because his size and meanness provided something on the PK and defensive zone starts, but his mobility is SOOO BAD now even me, as a fan of his, can't tolerate it.

Somebody brought up Darien Hatcher and that's the perfect parallel. Big guy who used his frame to cover up lack of speed and stickwork, but when the speed got even worse, ho boy, it got ugly. Obviously Hatcher was significantly better at his peak, but the similarities in their decline and efficiency share a likeness.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
Yo just because the top picks were the wrong ones doesn't make it one of the worst drafts in recent history. Its arguably one of the best drafts for young defenseman who have already made an impact:

Just in round one alone, you already have 5 guys who have taken regular shifts on their team's top pairing and have been great all around otherwise: Ceci, Maata, Trouba, Lindholm and Rielly. Then you've got Dumba who looks great, Faksa, Koekoek, Pokka, and Skjei who are all ready to take the next step. Then of course Parayko and Ghost in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

2012 might actually be one of the best drafts in a while for young defenseman, given how many of them are already impact guys at 21/22 years old.

You're right, there are quite a few good looking guys from that draft. But any that were left, including matta, were as long of a shot as one of the centers who went around where the wings pick was supposed to be. Given the younger guys they already had, I don't think they would have went with him even if we had the pick. Hell, they haven't taken a d in the first since.

What they got out of the trade wasn't great, or even good. But they got a guy who had time remaining on his contract(I'm pretty sure on this), and who has since played pretty solid hockey for the majority of his stay.

Aug 6, 2012
Problem is, Helm will be offered a bigger role and more money IMO.

Also, IMO, he shouldn't be re-signed.

Whoever offers Helm a bigger role than what he had last year is in for a rough time.

This team doesn't have the time nor need to shrink to the inflated demands of an aging checking-line forward.

Aug 6, 2012
I must say though, three new coaches and letting Richards and KFQ walk is an impressive start to the offseason for Kenny and the boys. That's the easy part but its a good sign.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
July 1st comes along: Holland strikes out

July 2nd comes along: Holland strikes out

July 3rd comes along: Quincey is resigned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad