Helene St. James Holland (probably) Won't Re-Sign Quincey, Richards (before July 1st (if at all))

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Feels like Blashill will have this to work with next year :

Kronwall - Marchenko
Dekeyser - Green
Ericsson - Smith
Ouellet

If there is a way Ericsson can be bought out/traded, or even if Smith is traded (that I would frown upon, he's a pretty good #3-#4), I wouldn't be opposed to signing an upgrade like Demers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good.

I believe that Quincey won't be back. Too many bodies on the back end.

I have a hard time believing we don't try to add a center with the departure of Datsyuk. If we strike out on some of the top options (Stamkos, Backes, Nielsen) could see Holland reaching back out to Richards.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I dunno... " before July 1st if at all"... that's what happened with Quincey before!

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I dunno... " before July 1st if at all"... that's what happened with Quincey before!

exactly what i thought when i read that

but i don't think he's coming back this time. way too many bodies on the backend and several girffins without waiver options next year

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

Kronwall - Marchenko
Dekeyser - Green
Ericsson - Smith
Ouellet

If there is a way Ericsson can be bought out/traded, or even if Smith is traded (that I would frown upon, he's a pretty good #3-#4), I wouldn't be opposed to signing an upgrade like Demers.

I don't want to trade Smith either, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's packaged to move Howard. I also may be in the minority, but I'd be all about signing Yandle.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Let it go.

Nope not even Billy Mays with a spounge and OxiCleen could get this stain off of Holland's legacy. If anything I think the move is the crown Jewel of what has been wrong with this organization the last 5 years.

As far as Richards and Quincey being gone, will need to see it to believe it, no trust or faith in Holland at this point.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
noice.

gdlazHz.gif

Something different

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Kronwall - Marchenko
Dekeyser - Green
Ericsson - Smith
Ouellet

Rumor had it that Smith was available at the TDL, So i wouldn't be surprised that he's not available a deal of Smith to the Stars maybe packaged along with Howard could be in the works. And unfortunately we're stuck with Ericsson a buy out is out of the question we would be tying up dead cap for another 8 years and we still have 5 years left on Weiss. The only hope is that Ericsson decides to retire i believe that we wont be stuck with the cap hit should Ericsson decide to call it a career and would love to add Demers for the right price.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I like Quincey but yeah we need to make changes. Smith should be traded to make room for Ouellet and then a trade/UFA that fits into our top 4 and we have at least done the minimum of what I want this offseason.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Rumor had it that Smith was available at the TDL, So i wouldn't be surprised that he's not available a deal of Smith to the Stars maybe packaged along with Howard could be in the works. And unfortunately we're stuck with Ericsson a buy out is out of the question we would be tying up dead cap for another 8 years and we still have 5 years left on Weiss. The only hope is that Ericsson decides to retire i believe that we wont be stuck with the cap hit should Ericsson decide to call it a career and would love to add Demers for the right price.

Realistically what are the chances of him retiring though? I just can't see it happening. Walking away from like 16 million dollars and his career isn't nearly over. Has there been any word of him thinking about Sweden?

If Holland knew how to play hardball he would send him down to the AHL and eat his cap hit until he
  • Returned to Sweden
  • Didn't report and the wings could get out of the contract
  • or did just Retire

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Realistically what are the chances of him retiring though? I just can't see it happening. Walking away from like 16 million dollars and his career isn't nearly over. Has there been any word of him thinking about Sweden?

If Holland knew how to play hardball he would send him down to the AHL and eat his cap hit until he
  • Returned to Sweden
  • or did just Retire

Pretty much what Hextall did with lecavalier I think. Made the guy's life so miserable he retired.

While that would be hilarious, probably not so cool to go down that road. We're just stuck with Ericsson's contract. I've made peace with that fact.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

I can't remember where i read it, but I remember reading an article on how Ericsson had an injury - I think it was a shoulder injury - that bothers him all the time and can't be corrected. He hinted that it might force him to retire earlier. That could explain his bad play as of late.

Demers, I think, would make a great #3-#4 defensive D, but with Ouellet in there, it might be a reason for that spot to be taken.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

• Returned to Sweden
  • or did just Retire

Yeah i can't see Ericsson walking away from $17 million over the next 4 years either, So it's pretty slim. The article that came out of Sweden last summer said that he was having a lot of issues with his hip. And it sounded like his plan was to finish out what he had left and then retire at that time it was 5 years. So now we're talking 4 years left. That was a suggestion that i was thinking as well put Ericsson on waivers he clears Detroit gets $950,000 in cap relief still stuck with $3.3 million though and just keep him in Grand Rapids until he either decides to retire or go back to Sweden either way let him play his final year in Grand Rapids but of course we know Holland would never do that.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I can't remember where i read it, but I remember reading an article on how Ericsson had an injury - I think it was a shoulder injury - that bothers him all the time and can't be corrected. He hinted that it might force him to retire earlier. That could explain his bad play as of late.

Demers, I think, would make a great #3-#4 defensive D, but with Ouellet in there, it might be a reason for that spot to be taken.

Yeah i believe a couple season ago he had that shoulder injury and never seemed the same since. I know last summer the article out of Sweden said that Ericsson now is having major hip problems so if his shoulder is still giving him problems along with his hip maybe for his health sake he should look into hanging up the skates.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Couldn't we LTIR Ericsson as well? That way he gets paid, but we don't have to watch forwards blow his doors off every night?

Maybe him and Franzen can make a joint instagram together or something.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That seems like a more realistic hope is for him to agree to LTIRetire. I didn't ever hear about that injury, no I feel bad for the guy. Chronic pain is the worst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->