Helene St. James Holland (probably) Won't Re-Sign Quincey, Richards (before July 1st (if at all))

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
So detroit used their 1st in 2012 for a few years of useless service from KFQ instead of drafting Olli Määtää? Great Kenny!

Or, they could have taken one of the other studs that was available in one of the worst drafts in recent history. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Besides that, there was little chance that they were going to take a d anyway. Kindl and smith were still seen as good prospects, as well as sproul just winning the Chl dman of the year. Like he said, it's time to get over it. If that was the worst move that holland made he would still be a god around here.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Couldn't we LTIR Ericsson as well? That way he gets paid, but we don't have to watch forwards blow his doors off every night?

Maybe him and Franzen can make a joint instagram together or something.

Yes we could LTIR him if he doesn't feel he can play, I know they were saying that you can only LTIR so much and then it actually starts working against you. But Franzen and Ericsson on LTIR should be fine it would only be if Kronwall or Zetterberg need to be added as well that it could hurt.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Pretty much what Hextall did with lecavalier I think. Made the guy's life so miserable he retired.

While that would be hilarious, probably not so cool to go down that road. We're just stuck with Ericsson's contract. I've made peace with that fact.

that move by hextall will never have a negative effect on the flyers organization

players will still ant to sign there, resign there or waive their NTC to be traded there

only fans feel players are so moral that they will band together in outrage over the contractual abuses of a GM, the same players who routinely dishonour their own word and code of ethics by demanding a trade when they themselves demanded a NTC

its a fallacy to think a GM's hands are tied

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Good.

I believe that Quincey won't be back. Too many bodies on the back end.

I have a hard time believing we don't try to add a center with the departure of Datsyuk. If we strike out on some of the top options (Stamkos, Backes, Nielsen) could see Holland reaching back out to Richards.

your order of centres is off
-stamkos
-staal
-backes

we will go hard after stamkos, backes will resign in st louis almost guaranteed, whereas staal screams KH on a shorter term deal(think 3 years @ 5 milion) as he is younger than nielsen, bigger, IS more proven overall and IS more high profile

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Yeah i believe a couple season ago he had that shoulder injury and never seemed the same since. I know last summer the article out of Sweden said that Ericsson now is having major hip problems so if his shoulder is still giving him problems along with his hip maybe for his health sake he should look into hanging up the skates.

I found the article, it's actually his finger :

Ericsson missed the final 14 regular season games and the entire playoff series against Boston after his left middle finger was broken and a tendon partially torn on March 19, when he was hit by a puck against Toronto.

The finger was crushed, and he's still adapting to it.

"I'm not going to be able to use that finger that I broke as good as maybe I want to, but your body adapts pretty well, like letting other fingers kind of contribute more," Ericsson said.

"They say up to 18 months for it to maybe come back. It's not going to be as good as it was."

It will affect his play somewhat.

"Maybe more with the strength on the stick, like stick-battling, going into the corners and being strong on your stick, but it hasn't really been an issue," Ericsson said. "I can't really have any excuses why I'm not winning the pucks for that reason. The motion isn't as good as it should be."

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
that move by hextall will never have a negative effect on the flyers organization

players will still ant to sign there, resign there or waive their NTC to be traded there

only fans feel players are so moral that they will band together in outrage over the contractual abuses of a GM, the same players who routinely dishonour their own word and code of ethics by demanding a trade when they themselves demanded a NTC

its a fallacy to think a GM's hands are tied

Don't think players would band together in protest and have a million hockey player march or anything like that. I could see why it would dissuade people from signing with a team though.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Or, they could have taken one of the other studs that was available in one of the worst drafts in recent history. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Besides that, there was little chance that they were going to take a d anyway. Kindl and smith were still seen as good prospects, as well as sproul just winning the Chl dman of the year. Like he said, it's time to get over it. If that was the worst move that holland made he would still be a god around here.

Yo just because the top picks were the wrong ones doesn't make it one of the worst drafts in recent history. Its arguably one of the best drafts for young defenseman who have already made an impact:

Just in round one alone, you already have 5 guys who have taken regular shifts on their team's top pairing and have been great all around otherwise: Ceci, Maata, Trouba, Lindholm and Rielly. Then you've got Dumba who looks great, Faksa, Koekoek, Pokka, and Skjei who are all ready to take the next step. Then of course Parayko and Ghost in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

2012 might actually be one of the best drafts in a while for young defenseman, given how many of them are already impact guys at 21/22 years old.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Don't think players would band together in protest and have a million hockey player march or anything like that. I could see why it would dissuade people from signing with a team though.

personally i dont think it has any effect whatsoever

players will always sign where they want to and a previous GM's hard ball tactics against one player will have no effect on their decision

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
personally i dont think it has any effect whatsoever

players will always sign where they want to and a previous GM's hard ball tactics against one player will have no effect on their decision

It affects many players, but maybe not all. We're talking about a pool of 800ish individuals. A group that large will naturally have a wide array of priorities and values. More importantly, there are countless friendships and relationships among players throughout the league. When one player is wronged (or feels he was wronged) by an organization, that has ripple affects throughout his personal network. When you see guys with a limited NTC, and it lists teams he refuses to be traded to, he's going to have his reasons, and it's not always that those teams stink.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It affects many players, but maybe not all. We're talking about a pool of 800ish individuals. A group that large will naturally have a wide array of priorities and values. More importantly, there are countless friendships and relationships among players throughout the league. When one player is wronged (or feels he was wronged) by an organization, that has ripple affects throughout his personal network. When you see guys with a limited NTC, and it lists teams he refuses to be traded to, he's going to have his reasons, and it's not always that those teams stink.

no i suppose its not always because the team itself stinks but i think(again just me) that the reasons for placing teams on a NTC are about many other factors that are far more consistent then what one GM did to one player one time, some time ago

I am sure Vinnys best bud in the league may have an issue with it but would it trump all other factors? I dont know, to me no..

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
no i suppose its not always because the team itself stinks but i think(again just me) that the reasons for placing teams on a NTC are about many other factors that are far more consistent then what one GM did to one player one time, some time ago

I am sure Vinnys best bud in the league may have an issue with it but would it trump all other factors? I dont know, to me no..

I agree with you that there are most certainly several other factors that are more important than what we're discussing. And for a lot of players, they probably don't care at all, they're just happy to get a contract. But I do think it comes into play for some guys some of the time. I know for a fact it's come into play in lower leagues, so I can only assume it has the potential to come into play in the NHL.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Without Helm/Richards/Datsyuk our center depth next season is...

Larkin, Zetterberg, Glendening, Sheahan, AA. Abby's played center before too and I think Nosek has? Not exactly a stellar group.

That said, signing Richards doesn't make our center group any better. He's not much of an upgrade over anyone on that list. If we can't get a bonafide top6 C, it'd be better just to go after some top6 wingers and top4 d-men. Bottom 6 and bottom pairing we have in spades. Signing any of those is completely pointless. Worse than pointless. It blocks the kids from jobs that they could do for cheaper and kids who might surprise you.

Barring any top6/top4 signings, just sink or swim with the kids. If you sign a guy of Richard's caliber, you have a steady player and you know what you'll get. But what you'll get isn't that good. When you go with the kids you add a lot of risk. They might fail; they might fail spectacularly. But at least you'll know. And it's not like you're making a cup run with ~Richards anyway.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
So detroit used their 1st in 2012 for a few years of useless service from KFQ instead of drafting Olli Määtää? Great Kenny!

If your standard of draft choices is that a traded one would always have been used to select the best player available at that selection, you will never have a situation in which a pick should ever be traded.

In a more grounded view of draft choices, one allows that it is far from a likely outcome that a traded pick would be used to select the best player available which remained via the benefit of hindsight.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I GET that we are under a cap crunch. But saved money aside, replacing Quincey with XO will downgrade our defense.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I that we are under a cap crunch. But saved money aside, replacing Quincey with XO will downgrade our defense.

We will see what happens, since our GM and Captain said "changes are coming". Imagine if that is true, we see something happen at the draft.

Even if not, don't see XO being a regular. Kronwall, Dekeyser, Green, Marchenko, Smith, Ericsson is 6 by my count... There are your 6 regulars.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Little surprised about Quincey but I always thought Richards was a one and done

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Okay thanks i thought that he had a shoulder injury as well, But now that you mention it it was his finger.

I was sure he also had trouble with his hips though, I'm pretty sure Ansar Khan said something about it in a Q&A. Sounded like Khan was certain that Ericsson wouldn't be able to play out his contract.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/08/red_wings_outlook_jonathan_eri.html
And in this article it seems like he even have trouble walking because of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad