Hmmm .... Zach Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
You are showing me 2 stills of Hyman looking at the D-Man not at passing the puck, he is not looking for Johnsson who at that point is nowhere near the net! I don't know what you mean by looking up? I mean looking for the pass to Johnsson (which he didn't do) Maybe I should have made myself more clear.

Looking up was your phrase, which exactly why I used it.

Are you kidding me? he has his blinders on and never once looks up since entering from the blueline, I don't know what your'e watching but it sure isn't Hyman looking up and making a pass!!!!! He sure as hell doesn't have that skill.

My interpretation of looking up is that it would be the opposite of looking down...at the puck.

I'm not sure if you have played sports or not but there is a little thing called peripheral vision. It allows you to see things in a broader context without having to look directly at them. Things like blue jerseys as opposed to white jerseys.

When Hyman gets to the faceoff dot (the first still) Johnsson is in the high slot no more than 1 stride behind Hyman. The Dman is between Hyman and the net which would allow Hyman to see Johnsson. Do you need another screen shot for that too or will you be able to see that on your own?

We could go on about how innate it is for anyone who has played sports to both fill a lane and look for a teammate filling that lane - which is exactly what happened.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It was a set play when the line was "Hyman - Matthews - Nylander". However, it did not work because Hyman could not make a pass with his backhand, and there was not enough time & space in NHL for Hyman to turn around.

The real issue in here is that why does Hyman need to play in his off wing?
Because nothing he's asked to do requires him to have a favourable handedness - He can be the first guy in, disrupting plays, without being on his strong side. Having said that, his effectiveness offensively could certainly improve if he were playing RW - Perhaps if Willy transitions to C fulltime, we'll see Hyman move into his spot and someone like Johnsson get a shot on at LW

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Looking up was your phrase, which exactly why I used it.

Are you kidding me? he has his blinders on and never once looks up since entering from the blueline, I don't know what your'e watching but it sure isn't Hyman looking up and making a pass!!!!! He sure as hell doesn't have that skill.

My interpretation of looking up is that it would be the opposite of looking down...at the puck.

I'm not sure if you have played sports or not but there is a little thing called peripheral vision. It allows you to see things in a broader context without having to look directly at them. Things like blue jerseys as opposed to white jerseys.

When Hyman gets to the faceoff dot (the first still) Johnsson is in the high slot no more than 1 stride behind Hyman. The Dman is between Hyman and the net which would allow Hyman to see Johnsson. Do you need another screen shot for that too or will you be able to see that on your own?

We could go on about how innate it is for anyone who has played sports to both fill a lane and look for a teammate filling that lane - which is exactly what happened.

Please explain it to someone else, I have played plenty of sports and have coached a little and taught a lot to young kids, I don't need any explanations!

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
People realize players communicate with speech on the ice as well right?

It's a little known fact that not only is hockey a game that is played in complete silence, but that with a combination of surgery, drugs, and general shenanigans players are rendered incapable of using peripheral vision and spatial sense/timing to instinctively keep track of other players on the ice.

It's actually incredible they way players navigate while with their sensory input restricted to a narrow field of vision equivalent to looking straight ahead through toilet paper tubes.

Reactions: White Shadow

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Off on a tangent, that was a beauty snipe by Hyman last night. Too bad he was the only one able to get anything done at even strength last night. ;)

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Off on a tangent, that was a beauty snipe by Hyman last night. Too bad he was the only one able to get anything done at even strength last night. ;)
It was a beauty snipe...reminded me of this guy.

He can shoot the puck when he has time and space on a breakaway, but unfortunately he can't elevate the puck whatsoever in a regular 5on5 situation.

If he was able to shoot like a top-6 player that line would be noticeably more productive, his pad shots and wraparounds drive me nuts.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Snipe !

"Bar Down".

upload_2018-3-21_14-34-57.png

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
It was a beauty snipe...reminded me of this guy.

He had time to set his shot up, no one was harassing him off an unexpected takeaway. Are you really going to pretend his most common shot location isn't directly into the pads?

Also I'm a little concerned you remember a nothing comment from page 16 in a 50+ page thread. Everything ok?

Reactions: Moonman

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
He had time to set his shot up, no one was harassing him off an unexpected takeaway. Are you really going to pretend his most common shot location isn't directly into the pads?

Also I'm a little concerned you remember a nothing comment from page 16 in a 50+ page thread. Everything ok?
If that snipe is in the box of tools and it appears that it is, I'm completely fine with the skill set.

No idea why memory retention would alarm you...unless you have something to hide.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Just fyi at his level of hockey when a player looks where he is going to pass, thats called telegraphing your pass and it will likely be stopped.
Ther is also this thing called peripheral vision whereby humans can see things without directly looking at them.
But I suppose your narrative that he is unskilled even though he plays and produces at the nhl makes sense to you?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Just fyi at his level of hockey when a player looks where he is going to pass, thats called telegraphing your pass and it will likely be stopped.
Ther is also this thing called peripheral vision whereby humans can see things without directly looking at them.
But I suppose your narrative that he is unskilled even though he plays and produces at the nhl makes sense to you?

at the same time though salt. There is also the option that putting it out front is just the smart play whether he saw someone or not. If you have no option put it in front of the net as there is likely to be someone there to keep the play alive or score. There is a lot to that, a player with a lot of skill (which every player who plays in the NHL has, a lot of skill) knows there is a high % chance someone may be there. Doesn't mean he saw johnssson but he still made a smart play to put it there.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
at the same time though salt. There is also the option that putting it out front is just the smart play whether he saw someone or not. If you have no option put it in front of the net as there is likely to be someone there to keep the play alive or score. There is a lot to that, a player with a lot of skill (which every player who plays in the NHL has, a lot of skill) knows there is a high % chance someone may be there. Doesn't mean he saw johnssson but he still made a smart play to put it there.
Agree! Just like it's never a bad play to put the puck on net, but I do think he saw AJ as all the sight lines match up. Either way it was smart hockey from Mr Hyman

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Because nothing he's asked to do requires him to have a favourable handedness - He can be the first guy in, disrupting plays, without being on his strong side. Having said that, his effectiveness offensively could certainly improve if he were playing RW - Perhaps if Willy transitions to C fulltime, we'll see Hyman move into his spot and someone like Johnsson get a shot on at LW
Here is the problem; after that, then what????

Reactions: ToMaLe

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Why all this talk about 1 (ONE) goal?
It's a pretty good example of how biased some people are. If anyone else on the team makes that pass it gets praised for being a slick play to setup the rookies first goal.

Hyman, the beer leaguer couldn't have pulled that off though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino