Hmmm .... Zach Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
and again if you forecheck and recover a puck, only to turn it over, then it's not worth anything.
Shouldn't he be leading the league in turnovers with how much he supposedly does it? He's got 24 turnovers all year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Okay, but his production and constant contribution on the forecheck counteract your opinion of him, so there's that. Was it @Gary Nylund who had his statistical production being in line with a top 6 winger?

I think it may have been Nithoniniel who first pointed it out, it wasn't me for sure. It may even have been on par with 1st line wingers, can't remember for sure.

There's a few people who posted here a LOT today who I hope are watching the game tonight, that was a pretty nice goal by Hyman considering how little skill he has eh?

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think it may have been Nithoniniel who first pointed it out, it wasn't me for sure. It may even have been on par with 1st line wingers, can't remember for sure.

There's a few people who posted here a LOT today who I hope are watching the game tonight, that was a pretty nice goal by Hyman considering how little skill he has eh?
It was a dope snipe no doubt.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Okay, but his production and constant contribution on the forecheck counteract your opinion of him, so there's that. Was it @Gary Nylund who had his statistical production being in line with a top 6 winger?

Based on the rawest numbers, he's producing like a low-tier 1st-liner (T-78th in EVP among Forwards with 30 GP), but his per-60 production has him solidly in the middle of 2nd-liner territory (138th in EVP/60 among Forwards with 30 GP). This season, he's unquestionably produced like a top-6 Forward at 5v5, any way you slice it. He's also still the highest scoring player in the League without any Powerplay Points. (Every player ahead of him in League scoring has at least 3 Powerplay Points).

Could it be better? Sure (especially considering how good Matthews and Nylander are) but he's shown real steady improvement so far in his young career, and has shown flashes of some actual skill on top of his work ethic - I see no reason why he can't get even better as he gets even more comfortable and confident, should he continue to get the same opportunities he does now. But beyond the production, he brings a solid defensive presence to the line and draws the attention of opponents on the forecheck, creating space for his linemates and causing havoc down low. They're one of the best 2-way lines in the entire League, and cause absolute fits for defenders and attackers alike - It's pretty clear the Leafs are getting top-notch contributions from all 3 players, especially when you factor in Hyman's efforts on the PK, which are almost entirely ignored here because of the focus on his production.

Last edited:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

Let's relax a bit here, it's an anomaly. Joey Crab had snipes, Clarkson had a 30 goal season etc. I never understand why people use anomalies (whether good or bad) to prove a point.

Edit: I should clarify before I'm crucified. You don't need to have top level skill to be a valuable player. Hyman is valuable to this team and is a complimentary player that works with Matthews. He isn't what most unbiased viewers would call a skill player and a few outliers here and there aren't going to make him one.

Reactions: RedRenegade

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Could it be better? Sure (especially considering how good Matthews and Nylander are) but he's shown real steady improvement so far in his young career, and has shown flashes of some actual skill on top of his work ethic - I see no reason why he can't get even better as he gets even more comfortable and confident, should he continue to get the same opportunities he does now.

I wanted to draw attention to this as I think it's important. Many thought that he couldn't improve over last year because he wasn't that young, never mind that it was his rookie year - they were wrong and people shouldn't make the same mistake again.

Let's relax a bit here, it's an anomaly. Joey Crab had snipes, Clarkson had a 30 goal season etc. I never understand why people use anomalies (whether good or bad) to prove a point.

Edit: I should clarify before I'm crucified. You don't need to have top level skill to be a valuable player. Hyman is valuable to this team and is a complimentary player that works with Matthews. He isn't what most unbiased viewers would call a skill player and a few outliers here and there aren't going to make him one.

In this case it's because people have posted literally 100's of times how Hyman has hands of stone etc., I don't want people to have the impression that it's actually true because it really isn't.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This whole premise that Hyman's points are coming from Matthews is bogus as well...

Zach Hyman
Games Played: 63
ES Points: 34

Games played with Matthews: 43
ES Points on Matthews' line: 22

Games played without Matthews: 20
ES Points not on Matthews' line: 12

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Hyman had a couple frustrating passes from behind Tampa's net that ended up being giveaways going the other way last night. One was near the end of the game. But the goal was definitely nice and I think it's safe to say he is what he is - a hardworking forward who relies on chasing pucks, puck battles (board/stick) and can contribute some offense, especially on a line with the likes of a Nylander or Matthews.

My question would be does his skillset become more or less valuable in the playoffs? On one hand I want to say yes, because it's more intense hockey and he will grind the opposition down. But on the other side, everyone is playing harder and maybe he loses some of his advantage, which is outworking the other team.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hyman had a couple frustrating passes from behind Tampa's net that ended up being giveaways going the other way last night. One was near the end of the game. But the goal was definitely nice and I think it's safe to say he is what he is - a hardworking forward who relies on chasing pucks, puck battles (board/stick) and can contribute some offense, especially on a line with the likes of a Nylander or Matthews.

My question would be does his skillset become more or less valuable in the playoffs? On one hand I want to say yes, because it's more intense hockey and he will grind the opposition down. But on the other side, everyone is playing harder and maybe he loses some of his advantage, which is outworking the other team.
If you're going to assume everyone works harder come Playoff time, that would include Hyman as well, no? Hopefully we get more than 6 games this year, and we can see who truly has another gear when it matters the most.

He seemed fine last year.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Shouldn't he be leading the league in turnovers with how much he supposedly does it? He's got 24 turnovers all year.
There is no way, only 24 turnovers in all year. May be 24 turnovers in one road trip.

"Then you’ve got a player like Zach Hyman, who is legitimately strong in the defensive zone, but struggles outside it and ends up with the third-worst relative turnover rate in the NHL among forwards. Is Hyman risky? Not in the traditional sense. He’s not going to cause a bunch of goals against, but his high turnover rates in the neutral and offensive zones do hinder transition and offensive opportunities for his linemates – so much so that it may outweigh his vaunted forechecking ability."
Trying to find value in an impossibly complex turnover stat for forwards - Sportsnet.ca

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
There is no way, only 24 turnovers in all year. May be 24 turnovers in one road trip.

"Then you’ve got a player like Zach Hyman, who is legitimately strong in the defensive zone, but struggles outside it and ends up with the third-worst relative turnover rate in the NHL among forwards. Is Hyman risky? Not in the traditional sense. He’s not going to cause a bunch of goals against, but his high turnover rates in the neutral and offensive zones do hinder transition and offensive opportunities for his linemates – so much so that it may outweigh his vaunted forechecking ability."
Trying to find value in an impossibly complex turnover stat for forwards - Sportsnet.ca

Why don't you use actually statistics to back-up your point?

Here's what you do.

Go to NHL.com
Click the Stats tab
Click the Player Stats tab
Under the report drop down menu, selected "Hits, BkS, MsS, Gvwys..etc" option
Press "Run Report"
Under the search bar, type "Zach Hyman"

You'll see he only has 25 Giveaways all season :nod:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Why don't you use actually statistics to back-up your point?

Here's what you do.

Go to NHL.com
Click the Stats tab
Click the Player Stats tab
Under the report drop down menu, selected "Hits, BkS, MsS, Gvwys..etc" option
Press "Run Report"
Under the search bar, type "Zach Hyman"

You'll see he only has 25 Giveaways all season :nod:
"Giveaways" or " Turnovers"?
If you mean "Giveaways", I believe it is truth. You need skills to make passes.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
It wasn't a pass, he never looked over to see who was a scoring position. Run the tape slow-mo and you'll see he just threw it out front. He had NO CLUE Johnson was there, this is Not Marner we are talking about here. You got it all wrong if you think that was a pass.
Why do you think he was throwing it in front of the net?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
It wasn't a pass, he never looked over to see who was a scoring position. Run the tape slow-mo and you'll see he just threw it out front. He had NO CLUE Johnson was there, this is Not Marner we are talking about here. You got it all wrong if you think that was a pass.
I'd say you're half-right.

Johnsson wasn't even in position when Hyman initially made the play, he adjusted his position near the net in order to get the puck and fire it home. I agree with you that Hyman wasn't aware that Johnsson was going to specifically be in that location, but being able to get the puck in front of the net at all (a prime scoring location), from where he was behind the net while under pressure from the D, is a solid move nonetheless.

He put the puck in a good position, and it worked out beautifully. Just because he didn't explicitly see Johnsson and thread a perfect tape-to-tape pass deliberately to him doesn't mean he didn't make a really nice contribution on the goal.

It was the "hard work" version of the Matthews/Leo connection last year

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Sheary, Guentzel and Hornqvist >>>> Hyman AINEC
Who said Hyman is better then them?

Certainly not me so why quote me when posting this nonsense.

My post is correct as Sidney is not playing with the best players and the pens are not loading up lines and won the past two cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad