Hmmm .... Zach Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He had time to set his shot up, no one was harassing him off an unexpected takeaway. Are you really going to pretend his most common shot location isn't directly into the pads?

Also I'm a little concerned you remember a nothing comment from page 16 in a 50+ page thread. Everything ok?

And yet his shot is so bad, that his shooting percentage is higher than Nylanders....

---------------------------------------

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
that is mike babcock's wishful thinking. The reality is that he is much more likely to turnover the puck than to complete a play.
You can be effective without completing a play.

As stated, Hyman is the first one in, Matthews strips the puck, Nylander finishes.

Again, Hyman is first in, Matthews strips, Nylander with the finish.

Is this wishful thinking or might this actually be the reality?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
You can be effective without completing a play.

As stated, Hyman is the first one in, Matthews strips the puck, Nylander finishes.

Again, Hyman is first in, Matthews strips, Nylander with the finish.

Is this wishful thinking or might this actually be the reality?

haha, I remember that playoff goal and mike babcock made some ''proud daddy" remarks too. That is the problem; It worked like a Halley's Comet sighting; might work once or twice in a NHL season (playoff included).

Reactions: ToMaLe

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
"Documented" as in written about. One example, this article from the Toronto Star. Glad to clarify for you.
MAILBAG: Mike Babcock's 'stubborn' coaching style questioned | Toronto Star
That's a mailbag where fans cry about stuff. Even the reporter was on Babcock's side.

"The difference here is Babcock has a good team that is in a good position. Fans want to see their favourites play, not Babcock's favourites. I'm going to lean on Babcock's side here, that this is a work in progress, very early in a rebuild, and young players have earn minutes and his trust, especially when playoff position is on the line."

Not to mention it's the Toronto Star.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
That's a mailbag where fans cry about stuff. Even the reporter was on Babcock's side.

"The difference here is Babcock has a good team that is in a good position. Fans want to see their favourites play, not Babcock's favourites. I'm going to lean on Babcock's side here, that this is a work in progress, very early in a rebuild, and young players have earn minutes and his trust, especially when playoff position is on the line."

Not to mention it's the Toronto Star.
Alright, here's another. The author actually calls him stubborn in the headline. If it makes you happy, he also calls him a genius, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it has been documented, i.e. written, that he is stubborn. Btw, I have more if you'd like.
THN in Sochi: Mike Babcock is controlling, pig-headed and stubborn. And he's a genius | The Hockey News

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Reactions: IBeL13f

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Alright, here's another. The author actually calls him stubborn in the headline. If it makes you happy, he also calls him a genius, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it has been documented, i.e. written, that he is stubborn. Btw, I have more if you'd like.
THN in Sochi: Mike Babcock is controlling, pig-headed and stubborn. And he's a genius | The Hockey News
You should have posted this article in the first place tbh. More reputation than Leaf fans and the Toronto Star.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I understand where the "stubborn" comes from, but he's been coaching for some time and knows what he's looking for. Stubborn only becomes problematic if he ends up being wrong about more things than he is right.
Agreed, but there's no denying that he is in fact stubborn. He's a successful coach, who I believe makes questionable choices on the deployment of his players. In the article, it states how his insistence on a defensive style despite having some of the most talented goal scorers in the world led some to question his moves, particularly when Crosby, Toews, Marleau, and Nash had as many goals as Luongo up to that point. In this case, his stubborness worked to Canada's benefit. But as fans, we will continue to question some of his stubborn moves despite the fact some think he is infallible or incapable of making poor decisions. As you can see, some even deny he's stubborn.

Reactions: ToMaLe

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Agreed, but there's no denying that he is in fact stubborn. He's a successful coach, who I believe makes questionable choices on the deployment of his players. In the article, it states how his insistence on a defensive style despite having some of the most talented goal scorers in the world led some to question his moves, particularly when Crosby, Toews, Marleau, and Nash had as many goals as Luongo up to that point. In this case, his stubborness worked to Canada's benefit. But as fans, we will continue to question some of his stubborn moves despite the fact some think he is infallible or incapable of making poor decisions. As you can see, some even deny he's stubborn.
I think he is incredibly stubborn. I also think that is exactly what you need in this market.

We have Damien Cox and Steve Simmons as front page reporters and their sole purpose is to incite the masses. Toronto, with a metropolitan population of over 5 million is clearly home to the largest fan base. Not only do you have the highest number of knowledgeable hockey fans here, you also have the largest number of not so knowledgeable fans.

The coach in this market has to be able to stick to his beliefs no matter how loud the roar of the maybe not so knowledgeable gets. He also has to be able to shield his players from some of those that like to stir the pot. I think he does an excellent job on both fronts.

I would have liked to have seen more McBackup this season and I would have liked Kappy up a little sooner, but I get why he wasn't. No coach is perfect, but in this market, he better be stubborn as hell.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Certainly no coach can be right - or wrong - all of the time, and all coaches should be expected to have some of their decisions questioned at points. Can be a thankless position at times though. He's compensated well, but if we achieve the ultimate goal with him behind the bench, he isn't likely to be near the top on the list of reasons why, and perhaps there's enough fairness in that. If we fall short, giving him his walking papers would be one of the first/easier decisions to execute, and there may or may not be fairness in that.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
From what i saw the other night vs Tampa, Hyman was pretty good defensively, and doing his "thing" offensively.

Ofcourse with Nylander, Marner, Kap, johnsson, Kadri, heck lets add in Bozak...Hymans gonna look a bit slow in the skates and the hands.

The guys solid though, noone is paying him to be the aforementioned calibre type of player, but for a behind the scenes, under the radar guy, who apparently can be crushed against the boards and be fine in the next minutes..

The guys pretty damn good. An asset to this team. Should be shuffled around a bit on the lines IMO.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
From what i saw the other night vs Tampa, Hyman was pretty good defensively, and doing his "thing" offensively.

Ofcourse with Nylander, Marner, Kap, johnsson, Kadri, heck lets add in Bozak...Hymans gonna look a bit slow in the skates and the hands.

The guys solid though, noone is paying him to be the aforementioned calibre type of player, but for a behind the scenes, under the radar guy, who apparently can be crushed against the boards and be fine in the next minutes..

The guys pretty damn good. An asset to this team. Should be shuffled around a bit on the lines IMO.
You missed the whole point here.
A lot of leaf fans just don't understand why Mike never shuffled Hyman to other line, a.k.a. 4th line. Hyman always played on the 1st line.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
You missed the whole point here.
A lot of leaf fans just don't understand why Mike never shuffled Hyman to other line, a.k.a. 4th line. Hyman always played on the 1st line.

I dont think i did.

I said Hymans good defensively and decent offensively. I also said yes, he should be shuffled alot more than he is.

Why is Babs so strong on Hyman on the top line? I dunno. For sure its not his offense, so maybe its his defense? More likely the latter than the former right?

Babs also likes to keep Polak around... when he provides zero offense. But hey, i dunno that one either.

So instead of just listing insults and calling babs names. I mentioned what i saw in Tampa, & in Tampa who is a team who is just as fast/skilled as our team, Hyman looked good DEFENSIVELY. And was Decent Offensively while playing the top 2 Tampa lines.

Maybe... thats what Babs sees?

Go leafs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad