Hmmm .... Zach Hyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
As long as Babcock feels the need to continue to stress the importance of work ethic and bringing that effort every single day, Hyman will likely be playing on the top line with Matthews.

This is the 2nd year of our core being together, and the foundation of our organizational philosophy is still being laid. Throwing a bunch of kids together and letting them play run and gun pond hockey is what helped get the Oilers where they are now - Keep these guys accountable, and make sure they've bought in to the system before loosening the reins.

It'll happen eventually, we just aren't there yet. I get excited at how good we are right now too, and I love scoring tons of goals each night, but some perspective of where we currently are in the rebuild process is necessary when looking at our personnel deployment. (Especially when it comes to 3 sophomores who are driving the play as well as Hyman, Matthews and Nylander have been at 5v5.)

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
For sure, Hyman has played admirably! I think there just has to come a time where you find someone that can replace him with similar grit but more offensive creativity! Hyman seems like a perfect middle 9 winger.

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
Hyman sucks. We should trade him to New York Rangers for a prospect like
Libor Hajew, D – Regina (WHL)

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
For sure, Hyman has played admirably! I think there just has to come a time where you find someone that can replace him with similar grit but more offensive creativity! Hyman seems like a perfect middle 9 winger.
Like I said, that time may come eventually - There's no reason to try and demand it now, though, not when we're still so young in our rebuild, and not while the line is performing so damn well.

People also should prepare themselves for the event that Hyman actually figures out how to convert on more of his chances as he gets more comfortable at this level. If he continues to improve, and becomes something closer to a 50/60-point scorer (almost definitely requiring at least some PP time), he could be a permanent fixture that Babcock never bothers switching up. (I'm not saying that kind of trajectory or development should be expected, but I'm certainly not closing the door on a guy who works as hard as Hyman does, or gets the opportunities Hyman does.)

Reactions: Albi34

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
but was the CIA behind the goal all along? they brainwashed hyman to make a skilled pass
Omg!
How devious!
Or maybe Hyman Sr will buy the CIA so this story never gets out or to set Bettman up as the patsy?
:nod:
Now this thread is finally making sense!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Like I said, that time may come eventually - There's no reason to try and demand it now, though, not when we're still so young in our rebuild, and not while the line is performing so damn well.

People also should prepare themselves for the event that Hyman actually figures out how to convert on more of his chances as he gets more comfortable at this level. If he continues to improve, and becomes something closer to a 50/60-point scorer (almost definitely requiring at least some PP time), he could be a permanent fixture that Babcock never bothers switching up. (I'm not saying that kind of trajectory or development should be expected, but I'm certainly not closing the door on a guy who works as hard as Hyman does, or gets the opportunities Hyman does.)
#50pointhyman
:yo:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t think Hyman needs to be stuck beside Matthews for his entire career, and I would have been fine with babcock experimenting a bit by trying somebody else in his slot (bit odd he hasn’t really),

BUT Hyamns even strength scoring has been much better this season, and he clearly hasn’t gotten in the way of the Matthews-Nylander tandem. So it’s hard for me to get upset about him this season.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I don’t think Hyman needs to be stuck beside Matthews for his entire career, and I would have been fine with babcock experimenting a bit by trying somebody else in his slot (bit odd he hasn’t really),

BUT Hyamns even strength scoring has been much better this season, and he clearly hasn’t gotten in the way of the Matthews-Nylander tandem. So it’s hard for me to get upset about him this season.

I think this sums up how a lot of us feel.

It's odd Babs hasn't tried anyone else, except for a period or shift on occasion. But... It's working.

Reactions: Menzinger

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think this sums up how a lot of us feel.

It's odd Babs hasn't tried anyone else, except for a period or shift on occasion. But... It's working.
Is it really weird though?
How many shifts have bozak and jvr played apart? Last year didnt kadri and komo play every shift togther? And this year outside of injury marleau and kadri have been stapled together.
There seems to be a common theme really

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Is it really weird though?
How many shifts have bozak and jvr played apart? Last year didnt kadri and komo play every shift togther? And this year outside of injury marleau and kadri have been stapled together.
There seems to be a common theme really
Absolutely - Why would any coach make changes just for the sake of making changes? Most probably feel that it's more important to keep guys together so that chemistry can form, rather than continually making adjustments hoping chemistry happens as soon as 2 or 3 guys are paired together. The less you're moving guys around, the more the players can get comfortable in a role and situation, and the easier they can shine with their linemates. If chemistry never forms, or if a line that used to work seems to fizzle out, then look at what you can do to fix things up.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Sometimes stubbornness goes hand in hand with ego and pride and can manifest into negative decision making in all forms and aspects of life when allowed to and not kept in check by a partner , a boss , a co worker , GM and other symbiotic relationships .
For instance ,
The following players where all ear stamped , recommended and pushed onto the team by Babcock , having said that , leafs signed him to a 8 year money loaded contact , having said that , he was hired by the president and not the GM who was hired afterwards .
All gud signings and all gud pros and successful in their own right .
Hyman
Marleau
Brown
Pleks
Hainsey
Polak
Now just think about all these players
All gud pros and gud people and gud players
But
All players that are polarizing with the media and fans alike , why , because of there contributions ? No , because of there ice time and importance on the team .
There is a correlation in this hypothesis.
If the GM was hired first , he would have hired his own coach and staff which he would make all player roster decisions on his own with little input trom the coach .
Not in this case , all great individual hires to say the least , but all superstars in there previous organizations and walks of life .
There’s little check offs if any for all of them in there positions .
We may think that there is , other than Conversational debate , but not deeper than that .
So when Shanahan was hired , he was given the keys to the world that is TML which is awesome , but no check off from a private owner !
So when Babcock was hired by Shanahan , which is awesome as well , he was given carte Blanche in all that is players , with no pushback from Shanny , obviously or Babs wouldn’t sign on .
So when Lou was hired , he was given more of a overseer and tutor role to Shanny and the organization , ahhh but wait , no power over Babs , and there lies some of the problems with the decision making as Babs calls the shots , again cool but when you are stubborn and egotistical and proud and have 70 + million in your bank account like no other coach anywhere and don’t have filters , these head scratching decisions and player / roster and playing time alottments could fail .
Most of the time it’s the coach playing the players that the GM acquires , no matter what so he doesn’t make his boss look bad ie TM in Edmonton with Lucic and a history full of these arrangements .
But in Toronto it’s the opposite and therefore there are holes in the Babcock coach brain armour , and your will almost never see a change unless of injury , other than that he will die on the hill he created like DR. Frankencock .

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
Gooo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

Last edited:
Reactions: ToMaLe

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Absolutely - Why would any coach make changes just for the sake of making changes? Most probably feel that it's more important to keep guys together so that chemistry can form, rather than continually making adjustments hoping chemistry happens as soon as 2 or 3 guys are paired together. The less you're moving guys around, the more the players can get comfortable in a role and situation, and the easier they can shine with their linemates. If chemistry never forms, or if a line that used to work seems to fizzle out, then look at what you can do to fix things up.
There were a few that told me chemistry is not a real thing or overrated but I have to agree with you.
I've always said it takes about 10 games to form chemistry.
Line juggling is really about patience, or should be done with patience.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Sometimes stubbornness goes hand in hand with ego and pride and can manifest into negative decision making in all forms and aspects of life when allowed to and not kept in check by a partner , a boss , a co worker , GM and other symbiotic relationships .
For instance ,
The following players where all ear stamped and recommended and pushed onto the team by Babcock , having said that , leafs signed him to a 8 year money loaded contact , having said that , he was hired by the president and not the GM who was hired afterwards .
All gud signings and all gud pros and successful on their own right .
Hyman
Marleau
Brown
Pleks
Hainsey
Polak
Now just think about all these players
All gud pros and gud people and gud players
But
All players that are polarizing players with the media and fans alike , why , because of there contributions ? No , because of there ice time and importance .
There is a correlation between this hypothesis.
If the GM was hired first , he would have hired his own coach and staff which then he would make all player roster decisions on his own with little input of the coach .
Not in this case , all great individual hires but all superstars in there previous organizations and walks of life .
There’s little check offs if any for all of them in there positions .
We may think that there is , other than in the surface debate , but not deeper than that .
So when Shanahan was hired , he was given the keys to the world that is TML which is awesome , but no check off from a private owner !
So when Babcock was hired by Shanahan , which is awesome as well , he was given carte Blanche in all that is players , with no pushback from Shanny , obviously or Babs wouldn’t sign on .
So when Lou was hired , he was given more of a overseer and tutor to Shanny and the organization , ahhh but wait , no power over Babs , and there lies some of the problems with the decision making as Babs calls the shots , again cool but when you are stubborn and egotistical and proud and have 70 + million in your bank account like no other coach anywhere and don’t have filters , these head scratching decisions and player / roster and playing time alottments could fail .
Most of the time it’s the coach playing the players that the GM acquires , no matter what so he doesn’t make his boss look bad ie TM in Edmonton with Lucic and a history full of these arrangements .
But in Toronto it’s the opposite and therefore there are holes in the Babcock coach brain armour , and your will almost never see a change unless of injury , other than that he will die on the hill he created like DR. Frankencock .

Sorry
Gooo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!
There are several factually incorrect statements in this, but mostly, I don't think you know Lou Lamoriello very well.

Reactions: Shanty

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
For instance ,
The following players where all ear stamped and recommended and pushed onto the team by Babcock , having said that , leafs signed him to a 8 year money loaded contact , having said that , he was hired by the president and not the GM who was hired afterwards .

...could you write a book please? Also think you need to copy paste this post in more threads, spread the info.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
There are several factually incorrect statements in this, but mostly, I don't think you know Lou Lamoriello very well.

I appreciate your opinion and comments .
Again firstly , I’m not necessarily saying that the structure is a bad structure as constructed, nor am I necessarily saying that Babcock having those characteristics is negative as well .
I Like Mike !
It is still my opinion that these perceived polarizing players by some critics and fans are all players that Babcock has had a large large hand in signing , protecting and playing them .
That’s all
Also like I’ve said in the past
I’m not even an usher at a hockey game , but watching sports especially our leafs for over 50 years coaching , and playing and managing , doesn’t even amount to a cup of coffee or bagel but it has allowed me to at least know a bit about Big Lou ,
But again Brotha
I really do respect your opinion and criticism,
Cheers
As far as the other poster about “ Gud Pro “ really really
Sometimes threads , comments , opinions and musings are done with thought , with tongue in cheek , with passion , with experience to be provocative and emoting anger of fun or chuckle and sometimes all of the above .

Sorry
GO F€£¥in LEAFS Gooo !

Reactions: ToMaLe

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I appreciate your opinion and comments .
Again firstly , I’m not necessarily saying that the structure is a bad structure as constructed, nor am I necessarily saying that Babcock having those characteristics is negative as well .
I Like Mike !
It is still my opinion that these perceived polarizing players by some critics and fans are all players that Babcock has had a large large hand in signing , protecting and playing them .
That’s all
Also like I’ve said in the past
I’m not even an usher at and hockey game , but watching sports especially our leafs for over 50 years coaching now and playing and managing , doesn’t even amount to a cup of coffee or bagel but it has allowed me to at least know a bit about Big Lou ,
But again Brotha
I really do respect your opinion and criticism,
Cheers
As far as the other poster about “ Gud Pro “ really really
Sometimes threads , comments , opinions and musings are done with thought , with tongue in cheek , with passion , with experience to be provocative and emoting anger of fun or chuckle and sometimes all of the above .

Sorry
GO F€£¥in LEAFS Gooo !
You have the structure all wrong. Very few GMs would work under those conditions - see Carolina right now - the last GM to work under your supposed structure is Lou Lam. Lou Lam, more than anyone in the NHL, lives by the chain of command.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
You have the structure all wrong. Very few GMs would work under those conditions - see Carolina right now - the last GM to work under your supposed structure is Lou Lam. Lou Lam, more than anyone in the NHL, lives by the chain of command.
Oh and another thought
I totally understand that big Lou would not have joined in on all this fun and be in this structure previously at all , totally agree , but the here and now and the circumstances given he came on board .
And to clarify
I don’t think that Babs runs the team in any way , but he got all those players because he wanted them .
Also he certainly has more pull more say more authority than any other coach in the NHL
So maybe a difference of opinion between us and possibly my my writing didn’t express my thoughts perfectly or you understanding them possibly as a whole
Cheers

ruKus calls it like I sees it !
GOo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->