Here's why Quenneville still sux

Would you swap out Joel Quenneville for Bill Peters?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
The smart money is on Stan the man being a pathetic GM and we should stop blaming everything on the moustache as he has a team filled with fringe NHLers and vets first liners playing like 3rd liners all season long, how man times does the coach need to tell Toews or Seabrook to show up? They got the big cash and they got complacent, that’s what it comes down to. Then you have young promising performing guys that are traded away for nothing...

Reactions: LDF

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Do you think Montreal would fire CJ to sign Q? I am jumping to conclusions on what you are getting to.
No, just idle speculation on our boards. It was posited that Q would not go to a Canadian team should he leave (or be let go by) Chicago. I thought that the Habs, because of its storied history and the chance to vie with Babcock again, would be a possibility. Of course, no one coaches the Habs without speaking French. That's all it was, and thank you all for your replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The smart money is on Stan the man being a pathetic GM and we should stop blaming everything on the moustache as he has a team filled with fringe NHLers and vets first liners playing like 3rd liners all season long, how man times does the coach need to tell Toews or Seabrook to show up? They got the big cash and they got complacent, that’s what it comes down to. Then you have young promising performing guys that are traded away for nothing...
excellent breakdown. this is the short and to the point.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I'm not saying he will, I just wouldn't say it won't happen with such certainty. It's possible he can join a talented team in the next 10years and help push them over the top.

Who is the last coach to win cups with more than one team?

Oh, so because it hasn't happened in a while, it won't happen again? Good logic.

One coach since the 1930's says....no. It likely won't.

If those long odds don't give you such certainty, what would?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If those long odds don't give you such certainty, what would?
Well the odds of the Hawks winning the Cup 3 times in 6 years in a cap era was probably very long odds too, and it happened.

I'm not certain of anything in the NHL these days, Vegas is a top team in the league, what odds did they have to do that at the beginning of the year?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am very interest to who they hire. The right choice could help open the window back up and the wrong choice would be the end. It was just reported the Bill Peters has an out in his contract after the season, not sure he would be my hire but he is a name.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I am very interest to who they hire. The right choice could help open the window back up and the wrong choice would be the end. It was just reported the Bill Peters has an out in his contract after the season, not sure he would be my hire but he is a name.
No thank-you. Much like Hawks, Carolina is terrible defensively and have been all season long when I have tuned in.

Not only does this team need new systems, they have to get out of country club mode with structure and intensity added to their collective game. What's Keenan doing these days. :)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No thank-you. Much like Hawks, Carolina is terrible defensively and have been all season long when I have tuned in.

Not only does this team need new systems, they have to get out of country club mode with structure and intensity added to their collective game. What's Keenan doing these days. :)

Bring Keenan in for a 4 day boot camp on ice to kick off training camp.

Reactions: LDF

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yea, it'll probably be a pendulum swing back to a coach that's tougher. Although somebody more moderate might be enough of a shift from Q.

Vets can skip most practices when the team is in first. When you're in contention for the number one pick, not so much.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The whole idea of not practicing, even when healthy, is nonsense to begin with. To maintain your sharpness and timing in hockey...you have to be on the ice. You need to be doing drills at game speed, or you will constantly be a step too slow, or "off" when passing. The Hawks have been a very sloppy, dull team the last few seasons. Especially so after an extended break between games.

Unless you're hurt, you should be on the ice daily.

It is no surprise that the guy who is on the ice the most, even for optional skates(Kane) has maintained his elite level of play. While the others have dropped off.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I get that, but the thing is that the vets have a huge amount of mileage on them extra thanks to numerous deep playoff runs, and managing that and allowing for rest has always been something that Q's done (which likely played a big role in our latter Cup wins). You can definitely make an argument that that's not working right now, and that the team hasn't had a whole lot of extra mileage as of late, and that would probably be something that the next coach would have to change to hit the reset button on the team's mentality, but the core notion behind letting guys you trust take time off makes sense. Problem is that, unfortunately, a lot of those guys can't be trusted right now.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I think another case of things needing perspective they lacked. The veterans getting days off applies to who over the years besides the guy who had a equipment caused skin issue?

It's not like toews, Seabrook, sharp, or other veterans have been known to be taking days off under Q at all. Keith this year has had plenty of practices missed and that's probably from being hurt whether it's his knee or something else.

The direction bowman leans probably will seem more of a Peters or someone within like Granato

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017

Agreed, the bears should’ve not gotten rid of Ditka.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Like I said, I am not sure he would be my hire but only mentioning his name because he will be a more well known candidate AND the analytics people love him.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Part of that is making the right off-ice adjustments. The Blackhawks, especially their core guys, have played a lot of hockey these last few years – they’ve played until at least June 1 three consecutive seasons. With that in mind, Quenneville keeps practices short – 45 minutes is considered one of his longer sessions – or he doesn’t practice the Blackhawks at all. The players happily accept that, knowing they better be ready come game day.
“As you're seeing right now, we've all learned to kind of deal with a shorter off-season and playing a lot of games in the months of December and January and how it can add up,” Toews said. “A lot of that comes with experience but also comes with what the coaching staff brings. Even the younger guys or newer guys that come into this locker room maybe haven't been used to having days off the way we have lately. But at least there's asense of our coaches; they treat us like professionals, they know we're gonna be ready when we come to the rink. If not, we always adjust what needs to be adjusted.”

Short practices, or doesn't practice them at all... I wasn't referring to giving guys maintenance days, but his approach to practice in general.

With this approach, is it any surprise the Hawks look like crap after extended breaks between games? Or that they take forever to develop chemistry? Or they constantly look sloppy, and their passing is off?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Bring Keenan in for a 4 day boot camp on ice to kick off training camp.
well many knows of my wish list for finishing off the season with another coach and that coach to be Iron Mike.

i love this.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
In one thread we have Q being compared to Ditka, because Q only won 3. In another, we have people unironically longing for Mike Keenan. This place is the best.

Reactions: RayP

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
All's I know is every time I see this thread title the first thing that pops in my head is "Now let me know tell you why I suck as a salesman" from "Tommy Boy".

Reactions: Hawkaholic

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Wanting someone to instill some discipline is not meathead. It’s soy boy to want these guys further coddled, there, how’s that?

Reactions: BobbyJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad