Here's why Quenneville still sux

Would you swap out Joel Quenneville for Bill Peters?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Another example occurred tonight at 9:25 with Murphy. Yeah, Murphy mishandled it and made a physical mistake but the framework that caused it to be bad is system based.

We dick around with the puck in front of our net but play perimeter hockey in the offensive zone.

Has anyone ever seen such an asinine system or thought process put forward?

I said years ago, the Hawks are easy to play/coach against. They won with superior talent.

...and Soupy just agrees in the post game.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
It's so odd, seeing them point out obvious issues with team play where the only solution is coaching. As if, all these guys, got to the NHL without the ability to "manage the puck" or some silliness.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Players are put in a place to look bad. It makes no sense to tell Players not to Play the Body, have an active stick instead. There will be times you just have to Play the Body.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
It seems the Hawks are too predictable anymore. Teams know our system. There are always guys in our players' faces, but we rarely ever get in theirs. We have some forward speed but can rarely get to a dump in, and then can't muscle the puck away anyway. Players constantly out of position drives me crazy. THAT is coaching and right now it sucks!

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Players are put in a place to look bad. It makes no sense to tell Players not to Play the Body, have an active stick instead. There will be times you just have to Play the Body.

But Hawks are constantly drafting soft players, skilled but usually small who tend to play small. Even the physically bigger draft choices play soft (eg. Saad, Ejdsel). It offers little chance to employ a system with even a semblance of grit when you don't have (and seemingly don't care to have) the personnel to deploy that style. Q has made it very clear that he prefers a "good stick" over physicality and it is no longer working without the core playing at their peak. We saw it in spades last night.

And don't look now but Hawks face back-to-back games against the Bruins, who play this game properly with an effective combination of skill, size and grit.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
But Hawks are constantly drafting soft players, skilled but usually small who tend to play small. Even the physically bigger draft choices play soft (eg. Saad, Ejdsel). It offers little chance to employ a system with even a semblance of grit when you don't have (and seemingly don't care to have) the personnel to deploy that style. Q has made it very clear that he prefers a "good stick" over physicality and it is no longer working without the core playing at their peak. We saw it in spades last night.

And don't look now but Hawks face back-to-back games against the Bruins, who play this game properly with an effective combination of skill, size and grit.

Its, not their. Collective nouns use singular possessive determiners.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
You guys are too hard on Q. Opposing teams have absolutely no idea that the Hawks pp zone entry consists of the drop pass or that Kane runs it from the right slot while 4 other guys stand around.

No team knows that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I think we learned our lesson on truculence with Kyle Beach :sarcasm:

honestly, John Hayden isn't a physical force, but he can be that type of guy if he is given that role to use his body down low especially on the power play.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think we learned our lesson on truculence with Kyle Beach :sarcasm:

honestly, John Hayden isn't a physical force, but he can be that type of guy if he is given that role to use his body down low especially on the power play.
Once again, I'm not talking about big players with grit and little talent. They don't need to be that big, just play that way with skill. Like a Tommy Wingels. or a Marian Hossa or an Andrew Shaw, or a John Hayden. Some drafted players aren't going to work out, in fact, most of them won't, regardless of the style they play. Cherry picking Beach is not an argument to forever avoid players of that ilk.

And that's only part of the problem. Q seems to discourage contact in his so-called system, hence guys like Seabs change their style to accommodate the "good stick" system that Q likes. Murphy will be next if Q stays.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Once again, I'm not talking about big players with grit and little talent. They don't need to be that big, just play that way with skill. Like a Tommy Wingels. or a Marian Hossa or an Andrew Shaw, or a John Hayden. Some drafted players aren't going to work out, in fact, most of them won't, regardless of the style they play. Cherry picking Beach is not an argument to forever avoid players of that ilk.

And that's only part of the problem. Q seems to discourage contact in his so-called system, hence guys like Seabs change their style to accommodate the "good stick" system that Q likes. Murphy will be next if Q stays.

well we had Ryan Hartman who was our biggest hitter and moved him out.

I thought this team was by far and away at its best when we had Ladd, Buff, Bickell, Seabs, Hammer, Brouwer, etc..that team rolled over players when they wanted too and relied on their skill too..the game has changed since 2010 and speed and youth are king...we have to find a way to bring some grit and pressure on the opposition, not sure Hayden and Hino could do that on their own..

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
You guys are too hard on Q. Opposing teams have absolutely no idea that the Hawks pp zone entry consists of the drop pass or that Kane runs it from the right slot while 4 other guys stand around.

No team knows that.

Hahaha tell me about it.

Every powerplay follows the exact same template. Drop pass to Kane (sometimes the drop passes are extended too with a good chance of being intercepted.

There's no way that professional hockey coaches and professional players cannot anticipate that happening when they should know full well that it's going to be the case because it happens. Every. Single. f***ing. Time.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I thought this team was by far and away at its best when we had Ladd, Buff, Bickell, Seabs, Hammer, Brouwer, etc..that team rolled over players when they wanted too and relied on their skill too..the game has changed since 2010 and speed and youth are king...we have to find a way to bring some grit and pressure on the opposition, not sure Hayden and Hino could do that on their own..
Signing TW in the offseason should be a step in the right direction.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
is TW - Tommy Wingels?

it might help, but just puts us back to where we were minus Hartman!

Hartman tried but he is not the player we need. IMO. Sign Wingels for a year or two, bring in Hayden and get rid of Q.... and quit drafting lightweights who get passed up by other teams because they're charmin soft.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Hartman tried but he is not the player we need. IMO. Sign Wingels for a year or two, bring in Hayden and get rid of Q.... and quit drafting lightweights who get passed up by other teams because they're charmin soft.

I don’t think you intended to state that the other teams are Charmin soft. You should use a grammar check program.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I don’t think you intended to state that the other teams are Charmin soft. You should use a grammar check program.
Actually, I think he phrased it correctly.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
here is a point on Q, remember he was fired/let go from another org before he signed with the Bhawks. yes he was instrumental in helping get the org the 3 SC's. but he hasn't have the ability to chg his style of coaching...... now he starting to implement a player to stand in front of the goalie..... after 3 failed season, has he really chg that much in his game plan scheme ?? no !!!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Those guys could play any game you threw at them. That was a unique bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad