Recalled/Assigned: Here we go. TANNER GLASS.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
IMO Tanner hasn't been the problem, and his presence has had a negligible effect on this teams success (or lack thereof).

Still doesn't mean he should be on the team, nor am I advocating for that.

He may not be the problem, but he is certainly not part of the solution.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It feels like we've talked about this topic last season (-20) Glass or something.
So what`s wrong with Glass now?
Tanner Glass brings physicality to Rangers which is important in hockey as well.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This mentality makes me want to grab Glass, grab AV, climb up to the top of the 57th street elevated condominium living building that keeps popping up in the banner ads, and throw the 3 of us the f*** off.

Poor personnel decisions (from the nightly lineup to ice time allotment to player assignments/roles) are the biggest correctable issue this team has right now. The biggest. By far.

And the Glass problem is the easiest to fix, and should be the first thing done. Demoting or benching him is the first step towards icing the best lineup we can.

So yeah him being up (and in the lineup) is a huge problem.

A better analogy would be a guy with cancer who also has his foot stuck in a bear trap. I don't think anyone would argue what his biggest problem is. But he might want to get his foot free so he can get to chemo.

Really??? Because I see the two biggest issues this team has ATM is the defense playing like **** on most nights and the guys who need to score, are not scoring on most nights.

Whichever one you want to make the beartrap and whichever one you want to be the cancer is fine with me.

Tanner Glass isn't the bear trap and he isn't the cancer.

Would I rather have him in the press box or Hartford? Sure. But I'd much rather have consistent Defense and Nash/Kreider et all scoring.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It feels like we've talked about this topic last season (-20) Glass or something.
So what`s wrong with Glass now?
Tanner Glass brings physicality to Rangers which is important in hockey as well.

whats wrong with glass? simple. when he plays a "not horrible" game...its considered "good".

When any other player in the NHL plays a not horrible game, its considered bad.

thats my problem with him. the expectations are just so low that anything positive he does is considered a win.

hes not an NHL player.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I understand your view, @Inferno. But the main problem might be our new GM, or Glen Sather - even perhaps the Ranger coach, AV - why is he still here as a Ranger after last summer?

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Tanner has actually looked good two games in a row. It scares me that this could mean he'll be extended a 5 year contract

ThatsNashty61*

whats wrong with glass? simple. when he plays a "not horrible" game...its considered "good".

When any other player in the NHL plays a not horrible game, its considered bad.

thats my problem with him. the expectations are just so low that anything positive he does is considered a win.

hes not an NHL player.

Was at the game last night. What gets lost by some (AV) is how often Glass fails to clear the zone within 3 feet of the blueline which leads to extended time in the D zone and how many board battles he loses in the O zone leading to easy clears for the opposition. He is brutal outside of his ability to line up a big hit from time to time. And it's amazing how much we miss Step in our zone. His awareness and instincts in the slot are a great defensive strength of this team when he's on the ice. Glass must sit when Step returns and hopefully before if someone is recalled. He does not help the cause.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
AV made sure to note the quality of Glass' screen on McI's goal (during the Post-Game he mentioned it). Looking back at the video, it was a nice screen ... and he jumped over the shot to make sure it got through. If we're going to point out his warts, we've got to occasionally compliment him on a job well done. He did a good job on that goal.

I've seen nothing egregious from Glass since his return. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing, I'm OK with him. As long as Stalberg doesn't sit for him (I'm OK with Etem sitting off & on in exchange for Glass getting a little ice time).

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
AV made sure to note the quality of Glass' screen on McI's goal (during the Post-Game he mentioned it). Looking back at the video, it was a nice screen ... and he jumped over the shot to make sure it got through. If we're going to point out his warts, we've got to occasionally compliment him on a job well done. He did a good job on that goal.

I've seen nothing egregious from Glass since his return. As long as he keeps doing what he's doing, I'm OK with him. As long as Stalberg doesn't sit for him (I'm OK with Etem sitting off & on in exchange for Glass getting a little ice time).

He did do well on that play.

i think the fact that Etem could easily overtake Glass' role has Glass on his heels.

That's VERY good to have.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
If Glass plays a whole season like he has the last 3 games, he'll be a decent 4th liner.

I'm not banking on him having best season this late into his career. When he starts to suck again, he has to go.

Etem/Stalberg-Moore-Fast 4th line. Maybe trade Etem for a more physical winger or something. But a couple of good games can't let Glass come back for the rest of the seasn.

*Bob Richards*

I agree with Inferno's post but right now we are dealing with injuries and he hasn't been the abomination he was last season so I can live with it. :D

Tanner just needs to string together games like this or essentially "survive" long enough until Stepan comes back.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
He did do well on that play.

i think the fact that Etem could easily overtake Glass' role has Glass on his heels.

That's VERY good to have.

Who's pushing whom? Too bad Etem is not responding to the challenge of having Glass on the roster and elevating his play--right now he's being outplayed by Glass. Etem really needs to start showing lots of intensity on the ice. I'm sure it's there, but it would be nice to see it more.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I was thinking the whole game that Glass has played well. Then the goal was all him: dumped the puck in, made a hit to cause a turnover, pushed the puck to steal it. He has done well since getting called up from Hartford.

*Bob Richards*

Part of the only line that seemingly generated anything tonight.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
The hit that led to the goal is what I want to see from Tanner. Lay big hits to separate the puck from the puck carrier. Don't hit guys well after the play and puck has shifted away from them.

He's played fine since his recall. He still does some Tanner Glass like things with the puck and along the boards but I can't even be mad about it when I watch the rest of the team play or not play hockey.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The hit that led to the goal is what I want to see from Tanner. Lay big hits to separate the puck from the puck carrier. Don't hit guys well after the play and puck has shifted away from them.

He's played fine since his recall. He still does some Tanner Glass like things with the puck and along the boards but I can't even be mad about it when I watch the rest of the team play or not play hockey.

This. A lot of guys discount hits. Hits are very effective. Tanner's hits last year were not since they usually came when the puck was long gone. His timing is much, much better this year. I've even seen him peel away from a later hit a few times to get back quicker.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

That was an effective hit, just like the play Coyle made on McD. That's the good kind of hit.

Anyway, It's sad to say that if AV didn't bench him when Stepan is back, I'd almost understand it for a change.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Who's pushing whom? Too bad Etem is not responding to the challenge of having Glass on the roster and elevating his play--right now he's being outplayed by Glass. Etem really needs to start showing lots of intensity on the ice. I'm sure it's there, but it would be nice to see it more.
Yeah. Etem should be concerned about his own ice time when Stepan is back. As of right now, benching Glass so that Etem can play would not make the team any better.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I think the goal by the fourth line last night was about as close as we'd get from what a combination of Etem-Moore-Glass will do. Etem working the puck along the boards, and then passing it off to Moore to finish it off while Glass goes in front of the net and uses his body and stick to create space/cover the opposing vision.

Worked like a charm. I want to see Glass do that more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad