Recalled/Assigned: Here we go. TANNER GLASS.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
OK, either way. Im specifically talking about the guys that look entitled. Hayes and Kreider lead that bunch. Its not a bad short term strategy to make them feel a little uncomfortable. Might light a well needed fire under their ass.

I don't think it would help either of them--Hayes is oblivious and Kreider is really lacking confidence more than anything else. Having them sit in the corner while all the other kids are having a birthday party is not the way things are done anymore. And it's not the MO of this organization either.

Hayes is probably the closer of the two to spending a game in the stands, but that's the extent of the objective lession he's going to get.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't think it would help either of them--Hayes is oblivious and Kreider is really lacking confidence more than anything else. Having them sit in the corner while all the other kids are having a birthday party is not the way things are done anymore. And it's not the MO of this organization either.

Hayes is probably the closer of the two to spending a game in the stands, but that's the extent of the objective lession he's going to get.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

I find it hard to provide a "lacking confidence" excuse for a guy like Kreider who could make a positive impact on the game simply by moving his feet every game. Hayes is the most cavalier forward I've seen in a long time.

Im not saying Im there yet, but theres got to come a point where spoon feeding these guys minutes is not the suitable answer.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I don't think sitting in the stands does very much for a player--unless they're banged up or mentally tired. If you want to get radical, dress the player and then don't play them during the game, but that generally leads to a player being traded since it's extremely embarrassing (and I can't remember the last time it was done--it's been a very long time).

Hopefully, the break this week will help clear the cobwebs.

That type of treatment worked wonders for both Zuccarello and Pouliot

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
That type of treatment worked wonders for both Zuccarello and Pouliot

Each player is different--both of them (Zuccarello and Pouliot) were more experienced and it was earlier in the season. Both had specific problems, while I suspect the problems Hayes and especially Kreider are having are more related to the general problems the players are having as a group. If the veterans start playing better, chances are the less experienced players will too.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Agree to disagree, I suppose.

I find it hard to provide a "lacking confidence" excuse for a guy like Kreider who could make a positive impact on the game simply by moving his feet every game. Hayes is the most cavalier forward I've seen in a long time.

Im not saying Im there yet, but theres got to come a point where spoon feeding these guys minutes is not the suitable answer.

They've both been doing this since their college days at BC. It's not anything new.

Hayes was on last year throughout the year, but this year he's been a dog.

Kreider's been doing this a while.

Hell he was much worse in the AHL during the lockout. He can probably be the most intimidating skater in the league but he hardly ever drives hard to the net, especially with the puck on his stick.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Turning over a new leaf. How long until his first 3 point night? How long until his first hat trick?

History will be made.

How long until his contract extension?

Seriously, though...props on the play he made on Dom's goal. He came out of nowhere like a bat out of hell on Stralman, lol. It's a great play, but amusing at the same time.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Glass sucks but he is only guy willing to hit someone. He put a good hit on Seth Jones and sent Brian Boyle flying. Can Glass knock out Brad Marchand on January 11 at the Garden? Or even Beleskey?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Glass sucks but he is only guy willing to hit someone. He put a good hit on Seth Jones and sent Brian Boyle flying. Can Glass knock out Brad Marchand on January 11 at the Garden? Or even Beleskey?

The Rangers do have a few guys who will hit but there are not that many and some of them aren't always consistently physical--Krieder, Miller. McIlrath would if he were in the lineup. Lindberg--Zuccarello a bit.

Girardi and Klein don't avoid physical play--they're not big initiators. The rest of the lineup is pretty meh when it comes to physical play. Glass is the most consistently physical player on the team---though McIlrath if he were in the lineup might be our best.

Glass kind of sucks but he's been quite a bit better since coming back from Hartford.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009

The hit on Boyle was clear-cut interference.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I read that Tanner leads us in Corsi last night? Is that the first time in his career he has lead a team in corsi? I doubt you can actually check that without game by game logs, but I would have to assume so.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The thing about Glass is he ALWAYS plays hard. I think he sucks as a player, but you can't EVER question his willingness to give it every ounce of effort that he has. In a team full of gutless lazy people (Right now anyway) his play actually stands out. In a team of players that actually all play hard, he would suck a whole lot more than he has.

I think its an indictment on the TEAM rather than a credit to the player with regards to TG leading them in Corsi.

We. Have. SUCKED.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The thing about Glass is he ALWAYS plays hard. I think he sucks as a player, but you can't EVER question his willingness to give it every ounce of effort that he has. In a team full of gutless lazy people (Right now anyway) his play actually stands out. In a team of players that actually all play hard, he would suck a whole lot more than he has.

I think its an indictment on the TEAM rather than a credit to the player with regards to TG leading them in Corsi.

We. Have. SUCKED.

Yep... Just in the same way he was a great player against the caps last playoffs. It wasn't that he was that good, it's that the caps became that bad.

He's not a good player, but right now, he's doing the job admirably.

Unfortunately, there will come a time when he's not, and AV will continue to use him. That's the issue.

I read that Tanner leads us in Corsi last night? Is that the first time in his career he has lead a team in corsi? I doubt you can actually check that without game by game logs, but I would have to assume so.

He's done it 3 times in his career of games, several hundred. There's a tweet a coupel pages back

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yep... Just in the same way he was a great player against the caps last playoffs. It wasn't that he was that good, it's that the caps became that bad.

He's not a good player, but right now, he's doing the job admirably.

Unfortunately, there will come a time when he's not, and AV will continue to use him. That's the issue.

He's done it 3 times in his career of games, several hundred. There's a tweet a coupel pages back

Big, strong and physical players tend to do well (or better) in the playoffs. Checking gets tighter and the hitting ratchets up a notch. Teams need players that can grind, check, hit and take a hit. Having someone that can agitate the crap out of the other side is helpful as well. I don't think the Rangers have had a good example of that since Avery.

Tim Gleason kind of jumped Glass towards the end of last season and edged him and I remember Glass pulling Gleason out of a scrum in the playoffs and Glass really thumped him good.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers do have a few guys who will hit but there are not that many and some of them aren't always consistently physical--Krieder, Miller. McIlrath would if he were in the lineup. Lindberg--Zuccarello a bit.

Girardi and Klein don't avoid physical play--they're not big initiators. The rest of the lineup is pretty meh when it comes to physical play. Glass is the most consistently physical player on the team---though McIlrath if he were in the lineup might be our best.

Glass kind of sucks but he's been quite a bit better since coming back from Hartford.

Glass can get a little chippy which is good. They have too many nice guys. I hate Marchand but the Rangers could use a player who plays like him. He runs the goalie. Cheap shots the opponent.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Glass can get a little chippy which is good. They have too many nice guys. I hate Marchand but the Rangers could use a player who plays like him. He runs the goalie. Cheap shots the opponent.

So the Rangers should want a player that cheap shots the opponent and basically true to hurt other players?

I think a chippy player is good but not a player that gets suspended or fined (or at least goes under disciplinary review) once per year.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If he can keep this play up, I'm more than happy with him on the fourth line. His d-zone coverage is still weak, but he's been a lot better in many areas of his game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Kreider could take his game further down that path. I think it would make him more effective and there's already lots of people who hate him anyway--so what the hell.

Another example--the Canadiens have Gallagher, Subban always getting under skins. Emelin throwing a lot of borderline hits and Plekanec diving all over the place.

The Rangers just don't have edge like other teams have it and edge is something that can have a huge impact in any given game. We are kind of nicey-nice. We'd probably would be just even a little bit better if we weren't.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Glass had a hand in three goals last night.

1) Boyle's goal - it came off a Rangers O-zone faceoff win. Glass sort of picked off Callahan, preventing him from getting to Yandle quickly. So Namestnikov (sp?), who was supposed to cover Boyle, kept his focus on Yandle, who was unmarked. Boyle took advantage of this distraction by going around Namestnikov's other side, unnoticed.

2) The Stralman goal. Glass took a bad penalty to set up this power play.

3) Moore's goal. This happened after a great Stalberg forechecking sequence. Stalberg got the puck from Hedman in the NZ and dumped it in. Stralman got it but Stalberg hounded him and Glass hit him, at which point the puck came loose and Stalberg got it to Moore.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Miller and McIlrath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->