OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I have also been slacking lately. Was at the gym 3-4 times a week and the body was starting to tone out a bit, but now I feel fat again and tired. Still only gained a couple of pounds, so at least the weight is staying off.

Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

A few years ago a bunch of my friends tried to go on a juice cleanse/detox thing and got mad at me when I told them how dumb I thought it sounded.

I think they all spent over $80 each on it too :laugh:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
All these fad diets are garbage because people don’t stick to them long term. There’s no magic bullet, but stick to the following rules and you’ll be fine.

No snacking between meals or after dinner, with the exception of a midday apple.
One portion at meals.
No chips, cake, cookies, candy, crackers, pretzels, white breads, muffins, fried foods, sodas, and 600 calorie Starbucks drinks. It’s all garbage and you don’t need it.
Cut out the alcohol, or at least keep it to a couple light beers.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
All these fad diets are garbage because people don’t stick to them long term. There’s no magic bullet, but stick to the following rules and you’ll be fine.

No snacking between meals or after dinner, with the exception of a midday apple.
One portion at meals.
No chips, cake, cookies, candy, crackers, pretzels, white breads, muffins, fried foods, sodas, and 600 calorie Starbucks drinks. It’s all garbage and you don’t need it.
Cut out the alcohol, or at least keep it to a couple light beers.

Do you practice wbat you preach?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I've been doing my dumbbells again, every single day this time. I know you're supposed to stagger exercises out and give time for rest but I'm not getting sore so I don't care. I'm doing it anyway and will see what happens. Some might say I need more weight. I'm taking the approach of adding one set of 12 to each excercise each week. I've heard of people doing this and becoming jacked. They are 20 pounders. I'm gonna try this every day and add sets thing for 3 months and see where I'm at. Then maybe I'll buy those dumbells with the removable plates so I can start adding weight.

Last edited:

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Yeah, it’s really not hard to cut out the junk. After a short while you stop craving it completely. I don’t know the last time I had a cookie or a slice of cake, and it doesn’t interest me at all. The hardest part is one portion at meals, because I love to eat. It helps to fill up on veggies or salad.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, it’s really not hard to cut out the junk. After a short while you stop creating it completely. I don’t know the last time I had a cookie a slice of cake, and it doesn’t interest me at all. The hardest part is one portion at meals, because I love to eat. It helps to fill up on veggies or salad.

Nice. Yeah, I'm with you on filling up on salad and veggies. Eat a whole bag of the pre-portioned ones if you want. BTW, they have premade frozen cauliflower rice at Sam's Club now.

And to the bold, you are so right. As easy as it is to become hooked on something, if you stop and put enough distance between you and it, eventually you stop giving a f*** about it.

Reactions: hawksrule

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, it’s really not hard to cut out the junk. After a short while you stop craving it completely. I don’t know the last time I had a cookie or a slice of cake, and it doesn’t interest me at all. The hardest part is one portion at meals, because I love to eat. It helps to fill up on veggies or salad.

I am the same but I have never liked sweets.

The hardest part for me is soda. Never drank it till I was in college for the most part but now I really enjoy a nice cold coke.

I am actually working to reduce the amount of red meat I eat and I am starting to eat a lot more fish and turkey. Wife HATES fish though.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

My issue, too. I love to cook. I love to cook good food. So I love to eat good food. Eating only a little of said good food sucks. :laugh:

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I am the same but I have never liked sweets.

The hardest part for me is soda. Never drank it till I was in college for the most part but now I really enjoy a nice cold coke.

I am actually working to reduce the amount of red meat I eat and I am starting to eat a lot more fish and turkey. Wife HATES fish though.

I don’t eat mammals, but I love fish and wind up eating a lot of poultry too.

I hate the way soda makes my teeth feel grimy, so that was easy for me.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don’t eat mammals, but I love fish and wind up eating a lot of poultry too.

I hate the way soda makes my teeth feel grimy, so that was easy for me.

I am trying to cut my "mammal" intake, sounds funny when said that way. Our of curiosity, do you have a reason to why you don't eat mammals? No worries if you don't want to share.

Cutting soda has been a pain but it does give a grime feel.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I am trying to cut my "mammal" intake, sounds funny when said that way. Our of curiosity, do you have a reason to why you don't eat mammals? No worries if you don't want to share.

Never had issues cutting out soda. I haven't drank it in a long ass time, with the exception of a mixed drink, or with pizza every now and again, because it goes great with pizza.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Anyone here ever gone/continues to go to a chiropractor? If so, thoughts? Feedback? Results?

I am pretty anti-chiropractors, and never suggested a client of mine to see one. I'd always suggest yoga or swimming, and if that didn't fix it, then suggested they go see a doctor. I have only come across one chiropractor that genuinely only wanted to see their customers a few times and then have them off on their way feeling great with no more visits. Most I've ever been in touch want you to feel good when you leave, but not solve anything long term for the client so they have to keep coming back and paying.

Just my opinion, though.

What's your issue? Back, shoulder, neck....

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

I started with giving up hotdogs/salami, because of the high concentration of rodent excitement and other nasty crap that comes out of an industrial sausage press. But the bigger reason is that the mammals we eat are intelligent, and I don’t feel right about it. My wife doesn’t eat red meat either, so that certainly made it easier.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I started with giving up hotdogs/salami, because of the high concentration of rodent excitement and other nasty crap that comes out of an industrial sausage press. But the bigger reason is that the mammals we eat are intelligent, and I don’t feel right about it. My wife doesn’t eat red meat either, so that certainly made it easier.

Fair enough. Thanks for the answer.

The hotdog part is interesting because I used to work for one of the biggest hotdog manufacturers in the US and those plants are pristine. A lot has changed in the past few decades.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

The hotdog part is interesting because I used to work for one of the biggest hotdog manufacturers in the US and those plants are pristine. A lot has changed in the past few decades.

Really? I'm not doubting you, but that does surprise me.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

My impressions of hotdog manufacturing may certainly be dated. I haven’t eaten one in 20 years.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Really? I'm not doubting you, but that does surprise me.

Yeah. Regulations and inspections are much stricter and enforced more. I can't speak for the small, regional manufacturers but the Ballparks and OMs of the world have very clear facilities when I have visited.

Reactions: RayP

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I am pretty anti-chiropractors, and never suggested a client of mine to see one. I'd always suggest yoga or swimming, and if that didn't fix it, then suggested they go see a doctor. I have only come across one chiropractor that genuinely only wanted to see their customers a few times and then have them off on their way feeling great with no more visits. Most I've ever been in touch want you to feel good when you leave, but not solve anything long term for the client so they have to keep coming back and paying.

Just my opinion, though.

What's your issue? Back, shoulder, neck....

Low back, mostly. Doing some other things to work on it but it always looks so relieving when people are getting popped out and adjusted haha so it got me thinking about it. I'm sure my whole body is out of alignment.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
My impressions of hotdog manufacturing may certainly be dated. I haven’t eaten one in 20 years.

Oh yeah. A lot has changed in that time frame. For the better.

I am no longer in food so I could careless but I feel safe eating the product and I am a germaphobe.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Low back, mostly. Doing some other things to work on it but it always looks so relieving when people are getting popped out and adjusted haha so it got me thinking about it. I'm sure my whole body is out of alignment.

Take a look at your posture, most of us have complete shit posture. That alone might solve your problems if it's only minor.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Also super important to have a good chair if you’re sitting at a desk all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille