OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Speaking of peppers, wish I had regular access to fresh sish.ito peppers. So damn good, and easy to cook up real quick. Do not require anything other than a quick toss in some olive oil, roast them up, squeeze some fresh citrus with some S & P after they're done roasting up. Cheap easy and healthy side dish for dinner.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm sure it does, but I'm 95% sure it was a Good Ears episode where Alton said to always remove the seeds. I will always defer to him on the subject of anything food related. I'll have to look into it and see if I can find what I'm thinking of.

Well you and I could always have a big fight about it on a message board. I'm down if you're down :naughty:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Speaking of peppers, wish I had regular access to fresh sish.ito peppers. So damn good, and easy to cook up real quick. Do not require anything other than a quick toss in some olive oil, roast them up, squeeze some fresh citrus with some S & P after they're done roasting up. Cheap easy and healthy side dish for dinner.

That sounds good. I'll have to check the super mercado for them next time I go but by the looks of it, it could be an asian mercado thing and I'm not sure I know of one of those.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've seen them at Whole Foods once, but never anywhere else whether it be a generic grocery store or a specialty Asian market type place.

Although don't think I ever checked any Super H Marts, though. If anyone would have them I bet they would.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Salsa Verde

12 tomatillos
3 jalapeños
1/2 white onion
1/3 of a bunch of cilantro
1 lime, squeezed
Salt/Pepper to taste

Preheat your oven on High Broil. Cut the stems off the tomatillos and peppers, de-core/de-seed is not necessary. Put your tomatillos and peppers on a baking sheet, line them down the middle so they are under the flame. Broil on high, 5 minutes each side, you're looking for a decent char on both sides. Chop your onion, nothing perfect, just getting it ready for the food processor. Add your onion, cilantro and lime juice to the food processor. Pulse it for about 3 seconds. Now add your tomatillos and peppers, throw some salt and pepper on top and blend just for 4 or 5 seconds until the big chunks of tomatillo are gone. Pour into a 6-7 cup container and let sit in the fridge for 2 hours. It will thicken up in the fridge. Serve and enjoy.

Another thing, I've been switching over to all Pyrex, no more Tupperware. No more plastic chemicals, going all glass with everything. Plus they are stylish so you can just pull them out of the fridge and they are ready to serve, also keep things cold.

And I got some extra virgin coconut oil and massaged it into my hair and scalp last night. Also put some on my face. I put a towel over my pillow and went to sleep. I woke up and took a shower to clean it out. I cannot believe how good my hair looks/feels. I can't stop running my hands through my hair, it feels so good. My hair was getting dry and frizzy from all of the showers I've been taking with working out and all. The shampoo damages your hair and someone suggested I get the coconut oil. I'm glad I did, gotta get the good stuff though, $$$, worth it though.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
You're not supposed to wash your hair everyday. Even after the gym I'll just rinse it out and add some more conditioner. Shampoo dries up all the natural oils in your hair/scalp and it really shows.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You're not supposed to wash your hair everyday. Even after the gym I'll just rinse it out and add some more conditioner. Shampoo dries up all the natural oils in your hair/scalp and it really shows.

Yep. Should be washed every other day, or every third day. I'm usually an every third day guy, personally.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, I know you're not supposed to, it's just that when I work out or anything physical, I'm drenched like I just jumped into a swimming pool with my clothes on. So I feel like I have to shower. If I just take a shower with water and no shampoo, my hair gets tangly. I've tried dry shampoo too. I think I just did some damage over time and if I do the coconut oil for awhile, my hair will be where it should be to where maybe I can only shampoo it a couple times a week. At this point though, it just needs oil and I'm happy to have something that looks like it'll do the trick. I was reading about it last night and it does amazing things for other people too. I'm still stunned what one night did for me, just gonna keep at it, touch and go, try not to use shampoo and just throw the coconut oil in at night to keep it silky and flowing.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Once a month on the bike I do an all out 20 minute test to see if I've gotten weaker/plateaued /stronger.... Today is that day.

The results were very good, but god damn today sucked. :laugh:

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Salsa Verde

12 tomatillos
3 jalapeños
1/2 white onion
1/3 of a bunch of cilantro
1 lime, squeezed
Salt/Pepper to taste

Preheat your oven on High Broil. Cut the stems off the tomatillos and peppers, de-core/de-seed is not necessary. Put your tomatillos and peppers on a baking sheet, line them down the middle so they are under the flame. Broil on high, 5 minutes each side, you're looking for a decent char on both sides. Chop your onion, nothing perfect, just getting it ready for the food processor. Add your onion, cilantro and lime juice to the food processor. Pulse it for about 3 seconds. Now add your tomatillos and peppers, throw some salt and pepper on top and blend just for 4 or 5 seconds until the big chunks of tomatillo are gone. Pour into a 6-7 cup container and let sit in the fridge for 2 hours. It will thicken up in the fridge. Serve and enjoy.

Gonna try this soon.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Someone at work actually scoffed at me a couple weeks for eating a salad from Jewel. Like I was eating out of a garbage can or something :laugh:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Lol, tell them you eat the sushi too, haha. Damn salad snobs. Imagine how messed up that person is if they need to pull the salad card on you to feel better about their **** life, haha.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I've had next to no energy since college started back up a few weeks ago. A couple days ago I started going on a run everyday anytime I could, and man, I feel 10 times better. It's got me thinking that I should start working out more like I always said I would.

So with that in mind, any diet/exercise tips for a newbie? I'm 20 years old, 6'2" and about 165. I'd like to build some strength, particularly upper body, and I probably needs to work on flexibility as well.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've had next to no energy since college started back up a few weeks ago. A couple days ago I started going on a run everyday anytime I could, and man, I feel 10 times better. It's got me thinking that I should start working out more like I always said I would.

So with that in mind, any diet/exercise tips for a newbie? I'm 20 years old, 6'2" and about 165. I'd like to build some strength, particularly upper body, and I probably needs to work on flexibility as well.

Stay. Active. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as you aren't sitting on your ass.

At 20, the sky is the ****ing limit... Do whatever the hell you want, whenever you want. Push yourself as far as you can go. If you have no energy at 20...you're doing something very, very wrong.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Find a way to do it that you actually enjoy. Took me too long to realize that I absolutely hate going to a gym.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014

If you want to build strength get on a beginner strength training program, something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

If you want to get flexible/mobile do something like Joe Defranco's Limber 11 every day, shouldn't take more than ~15 minutes per day.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
When people in college/without kids tell me they have no energy

SoupyVelvetyCoati.gif

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
If you want to build strength get on a beginner strength training program, something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

I just started Starting Strength (something similiar), I'm entering my 2nd week and I like it. I have ignored my back and legs for too long. I was a "chest/curl bro" and this program whips my a**. I'm on pretty light weights, but getting form down on Squats and Deadlifting has been critical. I'll report back on progress.

:D:D:D Kid took it to the next level, I didn't know what to expect!

6'2", I would bulk up to at least 185lbs, preferably 195lbs. 20 is a great age to get into strength training seriously, but enjoy the next 3-4 years, some of the best years right there.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Raising kids probably isn't even that hard. I have two dogs and it's practically the same thing...

:D

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Stay. Active. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as you aren't sitting on your ass.

At 20, the sky is the ****ing limit... Do whatever the hell you want, whenever you want. Push yourself as far as you can go. If you have no energy at 20...you're doing something very, very wrong.
The "no energy" thing was an exaggeration, I thought it came across that way. I just meant that once all my school responsibilities are taken care of (switched majors so doing some extra hours this semester), I don't have a whole lot of energy left. It's mentally and physically taxing.

SoupyVelvetyCoati.gif
Thanks for the constructive advice, I'll take it into careful consideration.
Find a way to do it that you actually enjoy. Took me too long to realize that I absolutely hate going to a gym.

If you want to get flexible/mobile do something like Joe Defranco's Limber 11 every day, shouldn't take more than ~15 minutes per day.

6'2", I would bulk up to at least 185lbs, preferably 195lbs. 20 is a great age to get into strength training seriously, but enjoy the next 3-4 years, some of the best years right there.
Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad