OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Bought some MyProtein. Got 13lbs for 60 bucks. 6 different flavors. Took about a week to get. I tried Chocolate Mint yesterday and it was pretty dang good. Like Thin Mints in a shake. Found a code online that saved me a boatload.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well, I'm not ashamed to say I got off track. Got my priorities mixed up, forgot what was important. Ready to start fresh today and get back to what I was doing before. Hope you guys kept at it.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I had to pack the bike up yesterday for the move, and then I need some work done on it after we get there. No riding for maybe close to 2 weeks, unless I maybe go rent a mountain bike somewhere. Sad feels..... love my bike.

Shouldn't have an issue getting some awesome trail running and hiking in, but I'd cycle over that 10 times out of 10.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Has anyone ever done the Keto diet? Thinking pretty heavily about doing it. My wife started doing 2 weeks ago and has already lost almost 10% of her body weight. Not sure how healthy that type of weight loss is, but she feels good and doesn't feel like she is starving herself.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Has anyone ever done the Keto diet? Thinking pretty heavily about doing it. My wife started doing 2 weeks ago and has already lost almost 10% of her body weight. Not sure how healthy that type of weight loss is, but she feels good and doesn't feel like she is starving herself.

I'm no expert, but losing 10% body weight in 2 weeks sounds rather unhealthy.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Back on track with my diet. Made plans for Halloween so nothing I can do about tomorrow. But it's full steam ahead now, getting back in the gym. Should you get off track, it is important to take a deep dive and really figure out how and why it happened. It will help reinvigorate you aside from knowing what not to do next time.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013

There are a ton of benefits to the keto diet other than weight loss. If you are really interested I would check out the keto subreddit.

Also don't worry that your wife might have lost an unhealthy amount of weight because she didn't. You'll lose weight fast when first starting the diet because your body will retain less water so you drop a lot of water weight at first.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There are a ton of benefits to the keto diet other than weight loss. If you are really interested I would check out the keto subreddit.

Also don't worry that your wife might have lost an unhealthy amount of weight because she didn't. You'll lose weight fast when first starting the diet because your body will retain less water so you drop a lot of water weight at first.

Agreed. As long as she is getting the proper nutrients, it's no big deal. 10% is nothing to worry about, no matter where she started. Like you said, a lot if it is water. Would be interesting to get an update from @Hawkaholic 2 weeks later now. You would think she gained a few back then maybe now is starting to head back down. 10 pounds per month is considered normal. So even if she lost another 5-10, it's perfectly fine since it's month 1. Damn though, makes you think this Keto diet could be something to try out. But everyone is different and you have to find out what works for you. For example, early on in my weight loss, I was obsessed with those nature valley protein peanut butter granola bars and other gronola bars too. Unfortunately, those extra carbs and stuff slowed me down. I can't eat too much of that and have tried to avoid them since. For others, it might be an ideal between meal snack.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
My only critique with paleo of keto diets is that I find a lot of people that stick to them don’t eat enough vegetables.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
My only critique with paleo of keto diets is that I find a lot of people that stick to them don’t eat enough vegetables.

The problem with the keto diet is the problem with all diets....they give results but people can't stick to them long term so the weight comes back. The best advice I can give is unless you are training for something specific where you have to make a weight, stay away from diets. If you want to lose weight, make small changes that you can sustain, that will give you real, long term results.

Reactions: Pez68 and TorMenT

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The problem with the keto diet is the problem with all diets....they give results but people can't stick to them long term so the weight comes back. The best advice I can give is unless you are training for something specific where you have to make a weight, stay away from diets. If you want to lose weight, make small changes that you can sustain, that will give you real, long term results.

I don't entirely disagree, but that's a completely different topic.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Been around 10 weeks since I set up my home gym. Wow, once I started Starting Strength type plan, you realize half the people in the gym have no clue what they are doing at the gym.

@ 185lbs:
Bench - 170
Squat - 120
Overhead Press - 90
Chin Ups - +7.5lbs
Deadlifts - 175lbs
Barbell Row - 100lbs

Majority of these are still easy for me since I have been "lifting" for 5-6 years, Squats are getting more difficult since I never did them before. Fun time is over soon, weights are starting to get up there. I was benching 185lbs-225lbs before switching to this routine.

Highly recommend it for anyone who wants to size up. As well as a home gym if you have the space, you lucky guys in Chicago get basements which helps, I have a 3rd car garage slot I had to sacrifice. You can save big money on gym membership fees over the long run.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

Was she severely overweight to begin with? That's the only way I see this being OK.

If I dropped 10% or 18.5lbs, I would be getting an appt with my PCP.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Dang nice bike and nice view!

Love that bike, never been so comfortable on a bike as I am with that one. Just need to get rid of that hideous white saddle, and get a black one.... But don't want to go through the process of breaking in a new one, or even worse, having to experiment with a few different ones.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Been around 10 weeks since I set up my home gym. Wow, once I started Starting Strength type plan, you realize half the people in the gym have no clue what they are doing at the gym.

@ 185lbs:
Bench - 170
Squat - 120
Overhead Press - 90
Chin Ups - +7.5lbs
Deadlifts - 175lbs
Barbell Row - 100lbs

Majority of these are still easy for me since I have been "lifting" for 5-6 years, Squats are getting more difficult since I never did them before. Fun time is over soon, weights are starting to get up there. I was benching 185lbs-225lbs before switching to this routine.

Highly recommend it for anyone who wants to size up. As well as a home gym if you have the space, you lucky guys in Chicago get basements which helps, I have a 3rd car garage slot I had to sacrifice. You can save big money on gym membership fees over the long run.

Starting strength and programs like it are pretty solid. Are those your one rep max or is that what you are doing sets with?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Agreed. As long as she is getting the proper nutrients, it's no big deal. 10% is nothing to worry about, no matter where she started. Like you said, a lot if it is water. Would be interesting to get an update from @Hawkaholic 2 weeks later now. You would think she gained a few back then maybe now is starting to head back down. 10 pounds per month is considered normal. So even if she lost another 5-10, it's perfectly fine since it's month 1. Damn though, makes you think this Keto diet could be something to try out. But everyone is different and you have to find out what works for you. For example, early on in my weight loss, I was obsessed with those nature valley protein peanut butter granola bars and other gronola bars too. Unfortunately, those extra carbs and stuff slowed me down. I can't eat too much of that and have tried to avoid them since. For others, it might be an ideal between meal snack.
After losing 10+lbs in the first 2 weeks, she has levelled off and has now only lost 12-13lbs over 4 weeks.

Not sure if I agree that it is a fad diet like a lot of the diets you see out there. You can easily make this your lifestyle moving forward, and I believe my wife will do that, with a cheat day here or there. She had more sugar than she should have the other day as a treat, and felt like crap after eating it.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Starting strength and programs like it are pretty solid. Are those your one rep max or is that what you are doing sets with?

These are my sets. I haven't done my max rep yet. Even though I was working out prior to starting, I dropped to really light weights to focus on form and routine. I didn't want to start extremely high in one and low in the other. So I pretty much went from bar/45lbs. I am starting to get to where I need to put in decent effort. I'm shooting for 1000lb Club but not sure I will be able to get there. It will be close, but I am at least 16-20 weeks away from even sniffing that.

I'm doing Phrak's Greyskull. Do you follow a SS program?

No not at all. She is 5'-0" 139lbs when she started, so a little overweight ,but not much.

Yeah, not bad at all. Hmm... so you are saying she was 155ish and dropped to 139 in 2 weeks? Maybe just a good diet. Seems like a lot of weight to drop in 2 weeks though.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
These are my sets. I haven't done my max rep yet. Even though I was working out prior to starting, I dropped to really light weights to focus on form and routine. I didn't want to start extremely high in one and low in the other. So I pretty much went from bar/45lbs. I am starting to get to where I need to put in decent effort. I'm shooting for 1000lb Club but not sure I will be able to get there. It will be close, but I am at least 16-20 weeks away from even sniffing that.

I'm doing Phrak's Greyskull. Do you follow a SS program?

No I don't anymore. My squatting has been seriously curtailed due to a tear in my hip labrum (which I'm pretty sure I did while squatting). I can only front squat now.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I was doing 5 x 5 for a while and getting good results until I got a bit derailed by life. Kept up good eating habits though (for the most part) and back on the wagon again.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My fat ass needs to start eating better, period. :laugh:
I need to drop about 40lbs. I'd be happy at/around 220-225. That was my hockey 6 days a week, gym 5 days a week, through highschool type of weight. I'd be plenty happy with that at 33.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->