OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
And just don't worry about doing a bunch of weird shit. Stick to the basics, squats, deadlift, overhead press, bench, maybe some pull up and you'll be fine. Hell if you tell us how many days a week you work out or want to work out, someone here can probably give you a good, simple routine.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Wish I knew more about weight lifting. When I go to the gym, all I really do is the machine weights (no free weights), since I have no idea what to do, and don't want to hurt myself. I know I would get better results from free weights, just afraid to wander into that area of the gym with a bunch of people who know what they are doing. And I am not that social of a person, so asking someone isn't really an option.

YouTube Alan Thrall. Guy is on point. I still watch his videos to perfect my form.

Just don’t do silly things like curl in a cage and gym bros should be fine.

I go to a cheap gym and I have my own home gym so I could do what I want when I want. No dealing with sweaty ass dudes, morons who don’t rack their weights when they are done, people clogging bench/racks, etc. if you have space, payback is pretty quick. You can get a decent home gym set to build strength for around $750-$1,000.

And just don't worry about doing a bunch of weird ****. Stick to the basics, squats, deadlift, overhead press, bench, maybe some pull up and you'll be fine. Hell if you tell us how many days a week you work out or want to work out, someone here can probably give you a good, simple routine.

+1. Starting Strength is an excellent beginner routine.

Another note to not worrying about little shit, aesthetics will come after a long time. You want to build strength and it doesn’t happen overnight. Ive heard you can see noob gains pretty quickly tho, maybe 6 months if you stick to it.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Lately I have only been working out 2 or 3 times a week. Not enough, but I do plan to go 4 times a week in the near future. I will definitely check out this Thrall guy, as I am always interested in doing free weights, just a little hesitant to try it with other people around. I know they won't care, or judge or anything, just a mental hurdle for myself. I like just putting my headphones on with some metal and going to town, don't like socializing at the gym unless I know someone, which is rare.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
And just don't worry about doing a bunch of weird ****. Stick to the basics, squats, deadlift, overhead press, bench, maybe some pull up and you'll be fine. Hell if you tell us how many days a week you work out or want to work out, someone here can probably give you a good, simple routine.

Can you guys please suggest a routine for me? I’m tall, big and a runner, 3+ miles a day. I will not compromise my running for weights, but I am willing to do split workouts morning and night if I could effectively pack on muscle while continuing to run.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Can you guys please suggest a routine for me? I’m tall, big and a runner, 3+ miles a day. I will not compromise my running for weights, but I am willing to do split workouts morning and night if I could effectively pack on muscle while continuing to run.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Sorry man, this is just one big ol' clogged toilet of a post

Yeah, if you want to die at 35 years old like ancient man used to...

The Paleo Diet: Caveman Cure-All or Unhealthy Fad?

No it's not. Human bodies have been undergoing drastic changes for the last 12,000 years. If you want a long and healthy life you have to rest and let your body recover.

Yes, you are like them. Can you consistently maintain a HR of 185 bpm or was this a one time thing fueled by adrenaline? I'd bet it's the latter.

No. This is just dumb. You do all sorts of damage to your endocrine system, your level of stress, fatigue, and lack of sleep spike up, and you don't give your muscles time to repair themselves after you literally rip them apart from lifting weights so you open yourself up to a dramatically higher risk of injury.

Completely agree.
What kind of nonsense is this not working out every day stuff? Yeah, don't do heavy deadlifts 7 days a week but there's nothing wrong with doing some complementary forms of exercise every day.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Lately I have only been working out 2 or 3 times a week. Not enough, but I do plan to go 4 times a week in the near future. I will definitely check out this Thrall guy, as I am always interested in doing free weights, just a little hesitant to try it with other people around. I know they won't care, or judge or anything, just a mental hurdle for myself. I like just putting my headphones on with some metal and going to town, don't like socializing at the gym unless I know someone, which is rare.

Learn what the exercise is supposed to be targeting and make that mind muscle connection while training. Nobody is ever really able to tell if YOU are doing it properly or not. One can look like they are doing something really properly when they aren't.

Example, bent over rows. Do NOT use your biceps to row the weight. Your arms are to only be hooks to attach the back to the bar. The movement must come from the back,i.e. elbows are pulling back and up before your biceps tense. If you know those types of things you can use proper form. Looking at 2 trainers side by side, one using biceps and one doing it properly, it is impossible for someone else to distinguish which is which.

Good luck and don't be afraid. I've lifted since 13, am now 58 w/o out injury except for dropping a 25# plate on the pointy inside bone on my ankle! Ouch.

Last edited:

Crow

May 19, 2014
Ran 5K in under 22 minutes tonight after the game for the first time. Not sure how that compares to avid runners but I was happy to see it was top 10% pace in the app I use.

I've been running 5 miles 4 times a week for the last 4 weeks and I decided to see what kind of 5K time I could put up.

Two years ago I could barely run two blocks. So if you are just starting to run, keep at it. It gets fun.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Wish I knew more about weight lifting. When I go to the gym, all I really do is the machine weights (no free weights), since I have no idea what to do, and don't want to hurt myself. I know I would get better results from free weights, just afraid to wander into that area of the gym with a bunch of people who know what they are doing. And I am not that social of a person, so asking someone isn't really an option.

Wipe up your sweat. No one cares about the rest.

Reactions: RayP

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hope you guys are still kicking ass. Winter is the best time to get after it. Don’t let the gloom and darkness make you sit back and relax! I can run through a brick wall right now, want you to have the same. Happy holidays.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've got about 10-15 pounds I'd like to lose before I start training for the next triathlon, so was happy that I stayed where I was during the week of Thanksgiving when I think I had maybe one home cooked meal. I've got a ton of cycling scheduled for the next 2-3 weeks, so that should shed at least 4-5 before Christmas.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I have really bad tendinitis in my left forearm where the tendon attaches to the muscle. Really effecting my hockey coaching/playing and lifting routine. Just have to deal with the pain until March.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
This is normally when my annual lazy as f*** period starts, so this year I'm doing my best to be active and stay ahead of it. Last 3-4 years or so I've barely worked out and eaten poorly from Thankgiving until like February. Holidays had always gotten the better of me and I would let it snowball.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What kind of nonsense is this not working out every day stuff? Yeah, don't do heavy deadlifts 7 days a week but there's nothing wrong with doing some complementary forms of exercise every day.

Depends on what you mean by complimentary. By all health and fitness accounts you should give your self a rest day at least once per week.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Swimming is my form of rest. I have intense swim days too, but if need to burn some energy I’ll just grab a pool buoy let my legs just drag behind me doing nothing, and get a light swim on.

With that said, haven’t been swimming nearly as much as I should and been biking way too hard and too often.

Also some lighter yoga on rest days, as well.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Depends on what you mean by complimentary. By all health and fitness accounts you should give your self a rest day at least once per week.
There's simply not true. Getting rest is definitely important but there is nothing wrong with doing some sort of physical activity every day as long as you are resting your muscle groups appropriately.

I lift weights five days a week, do yoga twice a week and play sports usually at least once a week.

It's perfectly fine.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The local club I joined, we're following an offseason training plan called Sufferfest.... that the head coach has modified to be even harder. Certainly lives up to its name.

f***.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think the biggest lesson here is get in tune with your body and listen to it. It will tell you when it needs time off. Overtraining is an issue to watch for but at the same time, it depends on what it is. I have 20lb dumbbells sitting around. When I’m watching hockey, I’ll grap them and do some different arm excercises sporadically. I don’t have an “arms day”. I would say I do different curl excercises 3-5 days a week these days. If I pick them up and do one set and by the end of the set, it feels like it would normally feel have after 3 or 4 sets, I just stop and put them away for the day and go back to it the next day. Some weeks are different than others. In the end, I am gaining more this way than when I was doing it just once a week. When it comes to my running/cardio, I can do it every day without a problem but I always take one day off a week just to reset my system. When your body gets used to it every day, it plans for it, which is ok if you are just trying to maintain what you have or perhaps lose weight at a very slow pace, but if you want to lose weight a little faster, it can be a benefit to have somewhat of a “cheat day” where you don’t work out and eat more liberally just to let your body know that the routine isn’t a part of your everyday life and it does not have to keep storing more and more calories each day to prepare for it. Also, and again, you should listen to your body, but when it comes to tendons and cartilage and stuff like that, I don’t know that you can “feel” that kind of wear and tear necessary. In the last year of working out regularly, I’ve had a slight twinge once or twice, took 2-3 days off and everything was fine. But that was more towards the beginning of my fitness journey. Now I have built up the leg muscles, especially around my knees and that hasn’t happened in a long time, thankfully. Still, just thinking about the principle of elasticity, it would only stand to reason that taking a day or 2 off would allow the ligaments to snap back. It’s obviously going to be different for everybody. If it’s telling you it wants to go, let it go, if it’s telling you it’s tired or worn, take a day off. This also allows you to further break the routine up and keep it guessing, which is a good thing.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The misconception of having leg days, arms days, back days etc. and then resting those areas while working other areas come along with advent of anabolic steroids.

While roids do help to retain water and make muscles ibgger that way, their real benefit is a recovery aid.

The body does not recover and repair itself by body part, the entire body is stressed on a leg day and it doesn't help recovery to bench and do back the next day.

The body functions as a unit. Train it that way, full body workout with at least a rest day in between (2 if you're a little long in the tooth like me)

Overtraining is the best way to shut down any training progress.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I thought it came about from isolating muscle groups on weight machines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad