OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I saw they had one on the Bruins board and they were doing a good job of sharing tips and pushing each other. I think we should have one here for us instead of putting this stuff in the Anything Goes one. Plus, people who aren't working out will not be able to hide from it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Tip 1)

Just get in the door.

Whatever it takes to motivate yourself to walk into your nearest gym, do it. For me, it was a pact with friends.

I can say with 100% honesty, as somebody that's been working out for years now, that was the hardest part. Everything else after that, the workout plans, the nutrition, the soreness, managing the schedule, yada yada... it's a piece of cake by comparison.

Just get in the door.

OK how skinny or fat is everyone here? Please state your state lol

This is literally the worst way to get people involved in a fitness discussion. :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Something I need to get back into. Long story short, I lost a huge amount of weight, gained about half of it back, lost all of it again and then some, and then gained it all back and them some, and this was all in the span of about three years. Right now hovering around 230 lbs after having briefly dipped below 150 lbs twice.

32 years old and only going to get harder as I get older, too.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...don't go Vegan or whatever Toews was on his 2 crappy seasons...no energy..no strength
.list his alpha male ferocity...get back to the Meat!

On the other hand...Seabrook and his Tim Horton's Donut diet ..not good for you either.

Actually....a lot of it is just genetic ...some can eat everything and not get fat ...some will diet and exercise and still it does not do much ...science needs lot more on the genetic solutions to this problem of obesity and duabetes et abolish issues.

Some can eat huge meals and are thin. ..others eat very modest portions and cut deserts and sugary things and still the weight goes on after the years pile up...Genetics is probably 75% of the problem.

Reactions: G0AT

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
That is pretty timely as I am starting to get back into working out more myself. I had shoulder surgery back in November, and it took probably five months before I was cleared to start doing some lifting again.

Lifted on and off during the summer, but I could never get into it consistently because of my work hours and distance to work. Well, back in school and, oddly, that makes it easier. Just got a great lift out of the way a few hours ago.

The thing I need to work on most is getting the motivation to do abs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Just got to the gym and realized I didn't bring any underwear with me. Welp, looks like I'm working out commando!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This summer has killed me, was down to 205 in the spring, probably at 220 now. 6'-0"

I just got back to playing hockey tonight after playing baseball all summer, and plan to start going back to the gym tomorrow night, full time again.

Summer BBQ's, get togethers, and drinking are too good to pass up.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Tip 1)

Just get in the door.

Whatever it takes to motivate yourself to walk into your nearest gym, do it. For me, it was a pact with friends.

I can say with 100% honesty, as somebody that's been working out for years now, that was the hardest part. Everything else after that, the workout plans, the nutrition, the soreness, managing the schedule, yada yada... it's a piece of cake by comparison.

Just get in the door.

This is literally the worst way to get people involved in a fitness discussion. :laugh:

You got that right, just incorporate workouts into your schedule. That way you won't agonize every day-should I go or should I skip it. Just go, or as my man CT Fletcher says" It's your MFin set!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5xXsdWRaFw

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
This summer has killed me, was down to 205 in the spring, probably at 220 now. 6'-0"

I just got back to playing hockey tonight after playing baseball all summer, and plan to start going back to the gym tomorrow night, full time again.

Summer BBQ's, get togethers, and drinking are too good to pass up.

See I'm the opposite. I'm so active during the summer with hitting the gym/skating/etc. Winter/holidays are what kills me. I get so lazy around the holidays and get out of my routines and never get back into it until like march. Done this the last 3 years lol.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
See I'm the opposite. I'm so active during the summer with hitting the gym/skating/etc. Winter/holidays are what kills me. I get so lazy around the holidays and get out of my routines and never get back into it until like march. Done this the last 3 years lol.

Ditto, I go out more during the summer but I'll end up walking three miles home instead of hopping in an Uber.

I barely go to the gym even though its directly below me. But I find it pretty simple - when I make a genuine effort to avoid completely unnecessary carbs, I lose weight. When I don't, I gain weight. Unfortunately I've leaned towards the latter over the past little bit.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Don't lift any weights anymore, but stay fit by doing triathlons. Just completed Ironman Santa Rosa a few weeks ago.

But even when not training specifically for a race I still maintain a pretty good balance of swim/bike/run/yoga as part of my regular routine.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah cold steel, just do triathlons instead. Easy enough :laugh:

:laugh:

I like them because it keeps me outside. I just go so sick and tired and bored of sitting in a gym day after day after day.... So eventually got into running and cycling. I was adding up the hours per week/month I'd spend inside a gym and asked myself if it was really worth it, and to me the answer was no.

I like that with running and cycling I can do it with a group of friends, and it always ends with beers. Just found it to be more social and enjoyable for me and my personality vs anything a gym can offer me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's one thing I can't stand, running. I don't mind cardio, but I would rather stick to cycling, rollerblading, or even doing the stairmaster before I even consider running.

I always hated the gym, but when I started going to it last year I became hooked. Getting past the point where it hurts is key, once you are past that, it's fun to see and feel your body change. The nice looking girls at the gym make it easier to go as well. :)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I hate running too. Isn't it horrible on your knees and ankles as well? I love biking though. I think I've talked about biking with Ray already but it's the thing I miss the most since I moved from the burbs to the city. Going out for a 15-30 mile bike ride on a trail or relatively empty roads and being outside is the absolute best.

Swimming is something I'll probably get into later in life. I hear it's excellent for your heart and doesn't have anywhere near the stress on your joints.

Regardless, I think some form of cardio is really important. I see way too many guys at the gym with bulky muscles and no definition. Cardio is good for you heart, lungs, and blood. Plus it's the best way to look like this...

giphy.gif

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Did a legit leg workout today for the first time in a while.

Needless to say, I'm already struggling to walk...

I definitely need to do more of the cardio. I don't know how much it does for me cardio-wise, but I enjoy the row machine and it seems to get my heart rate up a decent amount.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
It was so much easier working out when I didn't have kids and I lived in a townhouse. Used to run or bike just about every day when I was single. Now juggling picking up kids from school and taking them to practice makes it much tougher to find the time. I still get in my 10000 steps everyday or I do a quick bike or run workout. Squeeze in push ups and pull ups to keep some upper body strength.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I was doing GREAT for 4 weeks. But then work got really busy and a vacation happened.
It is always hardest to get back into it. But once you start its easy

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I hate running too. Isn't it horrible on your knees and ankles as well? I love biking though. I think I've talked about biking with Ray already but it's the thing I miss the most since I moved from the burbs to the city. Going out for a 15-30 mile bike ride on a trail or relatively empty roads and being outside is the absolute best.

Swimming is something I'll probably get into later in life. I hear it's excellent for your heart and doesn't have anywhere near the stress on your joints.

Regardless, I think some form of cardio is really important. I see way too many guys at the gym with bulky muscles and no definition. Cardio is good for you heart, lungs, and blood. Plus it's the best way to look like this...

giphy.gif

Running isn't as bad for you as people make it out to be, most people just don't know what they're doing when they run or how to balance it out..... and over do it when they run, which leads to injuries.

Swimming is all sorts of great for you, and there are really few negatives to it.... except it can be incredibly boring, especially if you swim alone. If you just go to the pool with the mindset of "I'm just going to swim for 30-45 minutes." and that's it, you most likely won't be swimming for very long. Need to get some paddles, a buoy, and kickboard at a minimum to mix some sets up. Then if you still enjoy it, look into a masters group to join. Those are a ton of fun, and nothing better than some competition in your lane to make things more interesting.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I just can't imagine doing cardio for an extended period of time while not listening to music or something. I can't exactly bring my iPhone and headphones into the pool.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
For some reason getting up at 5:15 instead of 5:30 to workout feels like 2 hours earlier not 15 minutes earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->