OT: Health and Fitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Take a look at your posture, most of us have complete **** posture. That alone might solve your problems if it's only minor.

I'm actually pretty hyper aware of my posture for that reason. Have a good chair at the office too. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: RayP

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Take a look at your posture, most of us have complete **** posture. That alone might solve your problems if it's only minor.

Probably because the majority of people ignore the muscles in their body.

Anyone here ever gone/continues to go to a chiropractor? If so, thoughts? Feedback? Results?

Yes, I went to a Chiro in Frankfort, he is a family friend, one of the nicest guys I have ever known actually.

I had lower back pain and went in. He did a back scan (I was young, didn't think about radiation at the time) and lo and behold, I have minor scoliosis. The reason I am stuck at 5' 11" :mad: However, when I was a toddler, I used to walk on the sides of my feet (due to the undiagnosed scoliosis), my hip was a little bit higher than my other one so I needed to wear an insert in order to correct it. All better now.

Treatments were normally temporary, its insane how much they can get your bones to pop, especially your neck. It is kind of scary because you think they are going to snap your neck. If it wasn't free or heavily reduced by insurance, I wouldn't have gone.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Working out now for a week, I’ve got to say that taking a break was incredibly stupid on my part. None of us were born for this life of society. We are meant to be roaming the plains, fighting day to day for everything we have including our own life. My body is especially hard wired for that life. I feel incredible again. I will never try to fit in with other people again. I am not like them. My heart rate was 185 and I didn’t even notice. From I remember, it is always like this the first couple weeks. Eventually what would have made me hit 185 will only make me hit 150-160. It’s amazing that you can come in cold and just kill it like that but I am stopping to pace myself during the workout. Long story short, we should all be working out daily as it is the only way to live, the way we were meant to live, survival of the fittest. I believe that the lack of physical activity is playing a major role in the attitudes and disease rampant in our society. Why should your body take care of you when you don’t take care of it? It is probably thinking, well, someone is bound to take me down any day now, let’s just give up, here you go, you’re sick.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Low back, mostly. Doing some other things to work on it but it always looks so relieving when people are getting popped out and adjusted haha so it got me thinking about it. I'm sure my whole body is out of alignment.

If your low back is hurting you, there's a solid chance your hamstrings being too tight is the culprit. Spend 10 minutes every day stretching out your hamstrings and groin and see if it helps.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
If your low back is hurting you, there's a solid chance your hamstrings being too tight is the culprit. Spend 10 minutes every day stretching out your hamstrings and groin and see if it helps.

It's a factor, as are my chronically tight hip muscles. Been doing just that the last few days and seems to be helping some. Thanks.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
People with back problems swear by the daily stretch. We should all be doing it as a preventative measure if nothing else. As long as we are on the subject, NEVER try to be a tough guy and lift something you think might be too heavy or cumbersome. Hire movers if it is a tough job. f*** the money. An uncle of mine threw out his back, ruined his life from there on out. That’s all it takes.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
People with back problems swear by the daily stretch. We should all be doing it as a preventative measure if nothing else. As long as we are on the subject, NEVER try to be a tough guy and lift something you think might be too heavy or cumbersome. Hire movers if it is a tough job. **** the money. An uncle of mine threw out his back, ruined his life from there on out. That’s all it takes.

Yeah, sure seems like once you legitimately injure your back that it never goes away and is never the same after that. That's purely anecdotal but it sure seems that way.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sorry man, this is just one big ol' clogged toilet of a post

None of us were born for this life of society. We are meant to be roaming the plains, fighting day to day for everything we have including our own life

Yeah, if you want to die at 35 years old like ancient man used to...

The Paleo Diet: Caveman Cure-All or Unhealthy Fad?

My body is especially hard wired for that life

No it's not. Human bodies have been undergoing drastic changes for the last 12,000 years. If you want a long and healthy life you have to rest and let your body recover.

I will never try to fit in with other people again. I am not like them. My heart rate was 185 and I didn’t even notice

Yes, you are like them. Can you consistently maintain a HR of 185 bpm or was this a one time thing fueled by adrenaline? I'd bet it's the latter.

Long story short, we should all be working out daily as it is the only way to live, the way we were meant to live, survival of the fittest

No. This is just dumb. You do all sorts of damage to your endocrine system, your level of stress, fatigue, and lack of sleep spike up, and you don't give your muscles time to repair themselves after you literally rip them apart from lifting weights so you open yourself up to a dramatically higher risk of injury.

I believe that the lack of physical activity is playing a major role in the attitudes and disease rampant in our society

Completely agree.

Reactions: RayP and hawksrule

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
People with back problems swear by the daily stretch. We should all be doing it as a preventative measure if nothing else. As long as we are on the subject, NEVER try to be a tough guy and lift something you think might be too heavy or cumbersome. Hire movers if it is a tough job. **** the money. An uncle of mine threw out his back, ruined his life from there on out. That’s all it takes.

One must know HOW to lift.

Deads should be in everyone's routine workout.

Reactions: Easy E

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
One must know HOW to lift.

Deads should be in everyone's routine workout.

Deadlifts scare people because if you round your back or lift off your body instead of rolling it up etc, you can screw up your back, knees, etc.

I just did my Deadlift set tonight. 7 reps of 180lbs. Feel like a monster afterwards Onward to 185lb!

I've read that deadlifting and squatting properly can fix a bad back/posture.

What wasn't fun was 95lb OHP, I got my 3 sets of 5, but it was tough.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I've never done a cleanse, but I was always confused about how they cost money.

Like 'hey, we want you to eat/drink nothing but juice for x weeks'.

I'd be like, ok, great, if nothing else, I will save a ton on grocery bills. Juice costs nothing.

What are these people paying for, exactly?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Deadlifts scare people because if you round your back or lift off your body instead of rolling it up etc, you can screw up your back, knees, etc.

I just did my Deadlift set tonight. 7 reps of 180lbs. Feel like a monster afterwards Onward to 185lb!

I've read that deadlifting and squatting properly can fix a bad back/posture.

What wasn't fun was 95lb OHP, I got my 3 sets of 5, but it was tough.

Throw in overhead squats for the entire body and you're just about set.

A bad back is often the symptom of a weak core.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've never done a cleanse, but I was always confused about how they cost money.

Like 'hey, we want you to eat/drink nothing but juice for x weeks'.

I'd be like, ok, great, if nothing else, I will save a ton on grocery bills. Juice costs nothing.

What are these people paying for, exactly?

Try juicing all that juice yourself. It takes a ton of fruit and vegetables to get the amount of volume you'd realistically need. Not to mention takes time, and with most juicers is a pain in the ass to clean.

Plus, they say the juice loses most of its micro-nutrients within 24 hours so it's not particularly wise to juice multiple days worth all at once.

If you can manage to use carrots as your base, it's not as bad. You get a lot of juice out of them, and they're cheap.

Reactions: JaegerDice

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Wish I knew more about weight lifting. When I go to the gym, all I really do is the machine weights (no free weights), since I have no idea what to do, and don't want to hurt myself. I know I would get better results from free weights, just afraid to wander into that area of the gym with a bunch of people who know what they are doing. And I am not that social of a person, so asking someone isn't really an option.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Wish I knew more about weight lifting. When I go to the gym, all I really do is the machine weights (no free weights), since I have no idea what to do, and don't want to hurt myself. I know I would get better results from free weights, just afraid to wander into that area of the gym with a bunch of people who know what they are doing. And I am not that social of a person, so asking someone isn't really an option.

90% of the people in the weight room are very nice, the other 10% you shouldn't give a shit what they think. Youtube is a great resource for lifting tips (i.e. form). If you google any exercise you'll get tons of videos as well. Just start light until you get your form down and you'll be able to up the weight in no time. For a beginner, I'd recommend doing 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps for every exercise.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
90% of the people in the weight room are very nice, the other 10% you shouldn't give a **** what they think. Youtube is a great resource for lifting tips (i.e. form). If you google any exercise you'll get tons of videos as well. Just start light until you get your form down and you'll be able to up the weight in no time. For a beginner, I'd recommend doing 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps for every exercise.

This is pretty much the best advice you're going to get. Spot on. And yeah, youtube is a great resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese