Speculation: Has Peter Chiarelli Finally Learned His Lesson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2015
So he tries 3 separate times to fix the defense and fails, and then loses huge value on a 4th attempt, still doesn't fix the defenss, and this is somehow a good thing?

Hamilton was had for picks in the same time frame and is a much better defenseman than Larsson. You don't pay 20k for a beat up 1997 Civic just because you really need a car and no one else is selling their Lambo for cheap.

I would not be willing to give up Larsson for Hamilton....though traded twice in recent history, perhaps Carolina would be willing very soon? I would argue that Hamilton is a much better Offenseman (yes I just made up that word I think) than Larson, but I wonder if Boston/Calgary would have been more likely to trade him to Edmonton (than Calgary/Carolina)? Perhaps the museums are nicer in Carolina and he will be happier there, but yes I think he would have been a great addition to the Oiler blue line, and done wonders for the power play.

Would you have suggested that Edmonton stay the course then? Not try to fix the defense because (by your metaphor) no one was offering a Lambo for cheap?

Here is what I believe the Oilers defense was when Chia took over:
Klefbom
Schultz
Ference
Nikitin
Marincin
Fayne
Aulie

Silly to think he should try to improve on such a stellar group! I think looking at those names, I cannot blame him for making the Reinhart trade or any of the others (signing/trades).

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Everything he touches turns to gold......

Of all the all stars he traded away how many won a cup?

Just Kessel....and in that case its chia and shanny sharing credit. Note chia got the better return.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
So he's "learned his lesson" because he hasn't traded a 1st line forward in the last year? Give him time.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Chia has not learned anything . He is on thin ice in Edmonton and it is believe his trades have to be approved .

This off season he didn't have the cap space to do much . He did manage to add some much needed depth . Really he should not of done much as we don't know what the Oilers are yet . 103 points one year to 78 points the next . Everything went right last year . Everything went wrong last year .

One thing Edmonton drafting in the later rounds has been worlds better under Chia . So he isn't all bad

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I will give him credit for not overreacting to what happened last season and making a terrible blockbuster trade this summer. His draft was good again and this year's signings have been decent as well.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Chia has not learned anything . He is on thin ice in Edmonton and it is believe his trades have to be approved .

This off season he didn't have the cap space to do much . He did manage to add some much needed depth . Really he should not of done much as we don't know what the Oilers are yet . 103 points one year to 78 points the next . Everything went right last year . Everything went wrong last year .

One thing Edmonton drafting in the later rounds has been worlds better under Chia . So he isn't all bad

Hes also added more depth in the system through trades and college/euro fa.

Theres a lot of context with the hall trade and imo more to do with the obc then chia. Same with Eberle. Ie. Those players didnt win.

Similarly theres loads of context in the seguin trade.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
2nd worst gm in the league... And anyone saying hall was moved because he is not a winner is a compete idiot and should stop watching hockey.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
... what?

Why don’t you eyeball Yamamoto’s last 25 WHL games and try again.

Puljujarvi was 19 last season. He’s going to be fine.

Haha I think if I were to describe any player contractually bound to edm for the next few years "fine" would be far from one of the words I'd use.

PC has done a masterful job and desecrating that franchise.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Haha I think if I were to describe any player contractually bound to edm for the next few years "fine" would be far from one of the words I'd use.

PC has done a masterful job and desecrating that franchise.

He’s done a bad job trading to this point. Dumping blue chip young assets overboard for whatever the HF hive mind would deign to give us will not solve this problem nor will it correct past transgressions.

Reactions: 780il

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He’s done a bad job trading to this point. Dumping blue chip young assets overboard for whatever the HF hive mind would deign to give us will not solve this problem nor will it correct past transgressions.

Its far more than trading, he isn't good at any aspect of the job. While trading away all their good players for nobodies has dropped a bottom team further down, his cap management will keep him there.

It'll be a real shame watching McDavids prime years be wasted but as an outside fan it is nice to know my team wont have to worry about going through him in the playoffs.

Finally to be clear, I don't think a trade will "solve edms problems", I think EDM is stuck with their problems and there isn't much they can do, also until PC is gone things will only get worse.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Its far more than trading, he isn't good at any aspect of the job. While trading away all their good players for nobodies has dropped a bottom team further down, his cap management will keep him there.

It'll be a real shame watching McDavids prime years be wasted but as an outside fan it is nice to know my team wont have to worry about going through him in the playoffs.

Finally to be clear, I don't think a trade will "solve edms problems", I think EDM is stuck with their problems and there isn't much they can do, also until PC is gone things will only get worse.

The areas he has done well are drafting by and large but you could credit Keith Gretzky for that as well. He did a good job with the Rieder and Brodziak acquisitions, and generally any trade under a B in terms of assets moving he’s done well. In terms of long term contracts and trading higher end assets - definitely terrible. Thankfully the owner is an angry skinflint and was apparently furious we missed the playoffs and he missed playoff revenue. This season is playoffs or unemployment for Chia. I’m actually quite thankful Nicholson has his foot down on Chia’s throat.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I don't understand the players he got from NYI. Was there a pro scout involved? Targeted players someone liked at the draft then never watched again?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The areas he has done well are drafting by and large but you could credit Keith Gretzky for that as well. He did a good job with the Rieder and Brodziak acquisitions, and generally any trade under a B in terms of assets moving he’s done well. In terms of long term contracts and trading higher end assets - definitely terrible. Thankfully the owner is an angry skinflint and was apparently furious we missed the playoffs and he missed playoff revenue. This season is playoffs or unemployment for Chia. I’m actually quite thankful Nicholson has his foot down on Chia’s throat.

I wouldn't consider his drafting record successful personally, but to each their own.

Also it doesn't matter that you saved 5$ on groceries when you lost your house gambling if you catch my drift.

Anyone who views EDM as anything more than the complete tire fire they have been for the past 10-15 years and especially now just reminds me of someone in a domestic abuse relationship. Y'all deserve to be treated better but the Stockholm syndrome is a tad real.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I don't understand the players he got from NYI. Was there a pro scout involved? Targeted players someone liked at the draft then never watched again?

Have you ever watched the behind the scenes video from the Boston Bruins on the Seguin trade? It should tell you all you need to know.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
So he tries 3 separate times to fix the defense and fails, and then loses huge value on a 4th attempt, still doesn't fix the defenss, and this is somehow a good thing?

Hamilton was had for picks in the same time frame and is a much better defenseman than Larsson. You don't pay 20k for a beat up 1997 Civic just because you really need a car and no one else is selling their Lambo for cheap.

He did try to get Hamilton... Boston wanted Nurse on top of similar picks that Calgary gave up. Do not blame him at all for not pulling that trigger.

The defense now is actually NHL caliber as opposed to the AHL D when he took over. Brought in Larsson and Sekera who are both top 4 D men. Our top D all had bad years. Klefbom was injured all year, Sekera recovering from a bad injury, and Larsson getting injured and facing family troubles in losing his father.

The only REALLY bad thing he's done is trading for Reinhart. Hall trade improved Hall as a player and gave us a top pairing shut down guy, and the Eberle trade wasn't all that bad. It gave us a serviceable 3C at a much cheaper price who can PK.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Has Peter Chiarelli finally learned his lesson?

Best Quote:

"Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli is the NHL’s most infamous trader.
The list of players that have been dealt away during his watch in Boston and Edmonton is an impressive one and includes the likes of Blake Wheeler, Phil Kessel, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. Most general managers go an entire career without having that many All-Star level forwards in their grasp, let alone trading them all away them."

^One should note that there's no mention of who the return was in those trades.

EDM fans it's time to weigh in on the fact that Chia made very few moves this offseason. What's next? The trade deadline? A return to the semi finals?

Eberle was a replacement all-star in his second season. Never a sniff since. Blake Wheeler was traded eight years ago and only became an all star last season. Pretty reachy there.

Not to mention what was returned...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He did try to get Hamilton... Boston wanted Nurse on top of similar picks that Calgary gave up. Do not blame him at all for not pulling that trigger.

The defense now is actually NHL caliber as opposed to the AHL D when he took over. Brought in Larsson and Sekera who are both top 4 D men. Our top D all had bad years. Klefbom was injured all year, Sekera recovering from a bad injury, and Larsson getting injured and facing family troubles in losing his father.

The only REALLY bad thing he's done is trading for Reinhart. Hall trade improved Hall as a player and gave us a top pairing shut down guy, and the Eberle trade wasn't all that bad. It gave us a serviceable 3C at a much cheaper price who can PK.

I really think Joel Persson will prove to be a savvy acquisition as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad