Speculation: Has Peter Chiarelli Finally Learned His Lesson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Chia has not learned anything . He is on thin ice in Edmonton and it is believe his trades have to be approved .

This off season he didn't have the cap space to do much . He did manage to add some much needed depth . Really he should not of done much as we don't know what the Oilers are yet . 103 points one year to 78 points the next . Everything went right last year . Everything went wrong last year .

One thing Edmonton drafting in the later rounds has been worlds better under Chia . So he isn't all bad
Hadn't heard that.
Honest question. Does approval come via committee or one of Gretzky, Nicholson or Lowe?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
1st list is the assets Chia traded Away 3 90 point wingers and Hart winnerA ppg rookie of the year and a solid 1C who produces every season great numbers all hilighted . Now to be fair to chia I hilighted on list 2 the the players Chia returned for the Bruins and Oilers in these trades
ekZfGCp.png

kExdTte.png

kingkang

Jan 10, 2018
Seeing Chiarelli work his magic over the past few seasons, I think I can offer him some recommendations.
Nugent Hopkins for Jimmy Vesey, the remaining cap can be used to sign Alexei Emelin. That way the trade will be for Vesey and Emelin
Leon Draisaitl for James Neal
Oscar Klefbom for Derek Ryan (if the other two deals happen).

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
A hard lesson that the entire franchise/fanbase had to suffer through, in which he learned he's a terrible negotiator. Get's completely wrecked in big time trades and overpays to the point where the salary cap crunch hinders the team from advancing, which happened both in Boston and now Edmonton. I'll give him credit in regards to drafting, for the most part, and for forming a formidable scouting staff

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You know Russell signed two years ago, right?

Considering the source you provided, though, I'm guessing no.

He resigned this year. The Oilers cite him playing at the World Championships has a reason to be excited.

It originally came from this guy. It’s true

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
The Eberle trade didn't really make sense.
You look past basic statlines and it's easy to conclude that he had an off year. They also didn't need or use the cap space gained that off-season.

Ugh...I'm so sick of hearing all the disingenuous "Told ya so's" on Eberle

I REMEMBER what it was like after the Ducks eliminated the Oilers "Get RNH and Eberle out of town NOW! Even if we have to give up a pick and retain salary!"

Everyone was for the Eberle trade, EVERYONE (And I don't have a dog in this fight)

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Ugh...I'm so sick of hearing all the disingenuous "Told ya so's" on Eberle

I REMEMBER what it was like after the Ducks eliminated the Oilers "Get RNH and Eberle out of town NOW! Even if we have to give up a pick and retain salary!"

Everyone was for the Eberle trade, EVERYONE (And I don't have a dog in this fight)

Read the thread:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/edm-nyi-jordan-eberle-for-ryan-strome.2360453/page-4

Looks like the majority of people thought it was a bad trade for Edmonton at the time.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
1st list is the assets Chia traded Away 3 90 point wingers and Hart winnerA ppg rookie of the year and a solid 1C who produces every season great numbers all hilighted . Now to be fair to chia I hilighted on list 2 the the players Chia returned for the Bruins and Oilers in these trades
ekZfGCp.png

kExdTte.png

First of all Chia didn't trade Barzel. Second of all, Wheeler and Hall posted performances way beyond anything they have done the past couple years, especially the point they were at when they were traded. Kessel was traded almost a decade ago now after one great season where he sold high and got some great picks out of it. Sure Chia not be the greatest at trading but stop making a fool out of yourself

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The Eberle trade didn't really make sense.
You look past basic statlines and it's easy to conclude that he had an off year. They also didn't need or use the cap space gained that off-season.
I rewatched that old clip of when he decided to trade Seguin. It seems like PC makes these moves far too quickly and once he's determined to move a player, that's it. You'd hope he'd learn his lesson on jumping the gun but that doesn't appear to be the case. I kinda get moving Eberle for someone cheaper but for Strome? It's like PC just googled his name, saw that he was drafted high, and made the deal. You don't trade a 60 point player for a 30 point player to save a few bucks.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I rewatched that old clip of when he decided to trade Seguin. It seems like PC makes these moves far too quickly and once he's determined to move a player, that's it. You'd hope he'd learn his lesson on jumping the gun but that doesn't appear to be the case. I kinda get moving Eberle for someone cheaper but for Strome? It's like PC just googled his name, saw that he was drafted high, and made the deal. You don't trade a 60 point player for a 30 point player to save a few bucks.

You're not really acquiring points, you're acquiring skillsets, personalities, compatibility, character and contracts. What each player scored in the past is irrelevant. If he really wanted to Chiarelli could turn any AHL'er into a 40 point player just through opportunity, but he'd undoubtebly make his team worse.. It doesn't mean that player is better than another NHL'er. It only means that player was given crazy 0-zone starts, pp-time, and ice time with a generational talent. Trading a 60 point player for a 30 point player is fine.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You're not really acquiring points, you're acquiring skillsets, personalities, compatibility, character and contracts. What each player scored in the past is irrelevant. If he really wanted to Chiarelli could turn any AHL'er into a 40 point player just through opportunity, but he'd undoubtebly make his team worse.. It doesn't mean that player is better than another NHL'er. It only means that player was given crazy 0-zone starts, pp-time, and ice time with a generational talent. Trading a 60 point player for a 30 point player is fine.
Obviously there are other factors as to why you trade for a player and why you trade a player but it was pretty clear that the 24 year old Strome, who struggled to crack a mediocre forward group in New York, was not who you target for your 60 point player. Eberle had proven he could be a regular top 6 player. Strome had one good year under his belt, struggled again and found himself on his 3rd AHL stint. Eberle puts up points with or without a generational player.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Strome is none of those. He is literally the most vanilla player you can have. He's just a meh player that is just average at everything. You could literally put any player in his spot with the same results. It was a bad trade the day it happened and it's still a bad trade today. We didn't need the cap space until this season and I'm sure we could have traded Eberle for some other fringe NHLer this off season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Strome is none of those. He is literally the most vanilla player you can have. He's just a meh player that is just average at everything. You could literally put any player in his spot with the same results. It was a bad trade the day it happened and it's still a bad trade today. We didn't need the cap space until this season and I'm sure we could have traded Eberle for some other fringe NHLer this off season.
Pretty sure you were one of the guys who wanted Eberle gone.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
First of all Chia didn't trade Barzel. Second of all, Wheeler and Hall posted performances way beyond anything they have done the past couple years, especially the point they were at when they were traded. Kessel was traded almost a decade ago now after one great season where he sold high and got some great picks out of it. Sure Chia not be the greatest at trading but stop making a fool out of yourself
People need to stop bringing up Wheeler, Barzal and Kessel. He won the Kessel trade. Wheeler was nothing at that point and was refusing to sign so he had to be traded. And Chiarelli never had Barzal, he had picks (that he should have kept). Was trading those picks bad? Yep? But he never had Barzal to trade him.

Mar 26, 2010
Edmonton is a train wreck. How long until McDavid asks for a trade.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
As per hfboards.com standards, he’s a proven winner because of his Stanley cup win in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad