Speculation: Has Peter Chiarelli Finally Learned His Lesson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
lol what?
Puljujarvi is like 20
Yamamoto was fantastic in junior and in his 9-game stint in the NHL....wtf??

Yet somehow we all have EDM's recent draft history to go on. Until we can really see a difference (perhaps in 3 or 4 years), we have to refer to some of the past failures.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yet somehow we all have EDM's recent draft history to go on. Until we can really see a difference (perhaps in 3 or 4 years), we have to refer to some of the past failures.

their draft history beyond the first round is terrible, but they usually get the 1st rounders right
Eberle, Klefbom, the #1s (except Yak), Dubnyk, Cogliano, Nurse, Draisaitl...heck even Riley Nash emerged down the line

if you're gonna crack their drafting...look beyond the 1st rounders

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
you have to go back 11 years to pull that one out? lol

what about players like Hamilton, Spooner, Benning, Pastrnak, Donato, Heinen

Any idiot with a top 15 pick in that 2011 draft was gonna get a good player, so Hamilton doesn't really seem that impressive.

Jim Benning, Matt's uncle, was the assistant GM for the 2012 draft, and it was likely his call to take his nephew in the 6th round that year. Most 6th round picks don't sniff the big league, so might as well have fun and draft some family.

Pasta, Donato, Heinen were technically drafted by Chiarelli, but at that point Assistant GM Don Sweeney, and scouting director Keith Gretzky were calling the shots at the draft.

Of your proposed good Chiarelli draft picks, that leaves Spooner, who's a fine player. I'll give him that.

I don't how he's done since he left, but with the Bruins, Chiarelli's drafting was objectively really bad.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Chiarelli looked like he totally ripped off Burke on the Kessel deal (well he did actually)

Now that enough time has passed it was the Pittsburgh Penguins who won that trade. Both Boston and Toronto lost it.

I still can't believe how little he got for Seguin.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
On top of his bad trades, you can't forget about his stupid decisions on buyouts. Handcuffing yourself with $1.63 mill in dead cap is a boner move.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Well, he beat Burke in a trade which is not hard to do as he's one of the few GMs who are worse than him.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Worst Trading GM in NHL history. The Wayne Gretzky of bad deals. Of course he's with the Oilers, so he is well on his way to a promotion with 0 accountability. Media just lobs softball questions at him during the 2 times he actually shows a year to answer questions. Throw in Geriatric Nicholson with him and its quite the clueless duo.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
lmao

The Oilers are touting Mikko Koskinen and Patrick Russell as prized acquisitions lmao

Brodziak might be the best fourth line center in the league and he got him for 1.15M a year. Rieder is a good dept acquisition too.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Any idiot with a top 15 pick in that 2011 draft was gonna get a good player, so Hamilton doesn't really seem that impressive.

Jim Benning, Matt's uncle, was the assistant GM for the 2012 draft, and it was likely his call to take his nephew in the 6th round that year. Most 6th round picks don't sniff the big league, so might as well have fun and draft some family.

Pasta, Donato, Heinen were technically drafted by Chiarelli, but at that point Assistant GM Don Sweeney, and scouting director Keith Gretzky were calling the shots at the draft.

Of your proposed good Chiarelli draft picks, that leaves Spooner, who's a fine player. I'll give him that.

I don't how he's done since he left, but with the Bruins, Chiarelli's drafting was objectively really bad.
so basically, he listened to his scouts(who now works for the Oilers)...like every other GM lol

but I'm sure you have an excuse as how Chia acquired Krug..."well, Chiarelli's wife's cousin had insider info on Torrey Krug, so that doesn't count"

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Worst Trading GM in NHL history. The Wayne Gretzky of bad deals. Of course he's with the Oilers, so he is well on his way to a promotion with 0 accountability. Media just lobs softball questions at him during the 2 times he actually shows a year to answer questions. Throw in Geriatric Nicholson with him and its quite the clueless duo.
you must be too young to remember Mike Milbury

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I believe the only thing he's good at is drafting players, maybe he should be somewhere in the scouting department before he trades McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad