Speculation: Has Peter Chiarelli Finally Learned His Lesson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Has Peter Chiarelli finally learned his lesson?

Best Quote:

"Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli is the NHL’s most infamous trader.
The list of players that have been dealt away during his watch in Boston and Edmonton is an impressive one and includes the likes of Blake Wheeler, Phil Kessel, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. Most general managers go an entire career without having that many All-Star level forwards in their grasp, let alone trading them all away them."

^One should note that there's no mention of who the return was in those trades.

EDM fans it's time to weigh in on the fact that Chia made very few moves this offseason. What's next? The trade deadline? A return to the semi finals?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I would assume he is definitely a little gun shy to make any major swap but IMO him not really doing anything yet is ridiculous. As we saw last year this team is awful and he still hasn't done much to change it yet.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Half the reason he made very few moves was due to handcuffing himself with cap issues. Trading Eberle made sense (cap purposes, weak playoff performance), but it made much less sense when he turned that cap relief into a 4x4 extension for Russel. Russel wanted to stay in Alberta too, so it was really only us vs the Flames in bidding for his services. How that turns into 4x4 when we have Klefbom, Nurse and Sekera on the left side is beyond me.

So did he learn his lesson? No, I’m sure if we didn’t have Russel/Looch on the roster currently, he would have used the room to sign/trade for a similar caliber player.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Not really. The Oilers need depth and he couldn't add anything to a lottery team.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I would assume he is definitely a little gun shy to make any major swap but IMO him not really doing anything yet is ridiculous. As we saw last year this team is awful and he still hasn't done much to change it yet.
The best thing he could have done was add a little bit of depth and not trade any core pieces away.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Half the reason he made very few moves was due to handcuffing himself with cap issues. Trading Eberle made sense (cap purposes, weak playoff performance), but it made much less sense when he turned that cap relief into a 4x4 extension for Russel. Russel wanted to stay in Alberta too, so it was really only us vs the Flames in bidding for his services. How that turns into 4x4 when we have Klefbom, Nurse and Sekera on the left side is beyond me.

So did he learn his lesson? No, I’m sure if we didn’t have Russel/Looch on the roster currently, he would have used the room to sign/trade for a similar caliber player.

The Eberle trade didn't really make sense.
You look past basic statlines and it's easy to conclude that he had an off year. They also didn't need or use the cap space gained that off-season.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not really. The Oilers need depth and he couldn't add anything to a lottery team.

They did add two quality depth players this offseason in Rieder and Brodziak. Not adding depth wasn't the problem this offseason, it's the lack of a scoring winger for Draisaitl's line in particular.

In any event, the answer is no he didn't learn his lesson. He's doing the same exact thing in Edmonton that he did in Boston almost to a T.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Oh I'm sure he has something glorious he's cooking up on the horizon. Especially if he gets on the hot seat.

I would definately assume he is already kinda on the hot seat as it is.

Hes kinda on a warm seat right now with a very good chance it'll be hot within the first month or 2 of season

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
They did add two quality depth players this offseason in Rieder and Brodziak. Not adding depth wasn't the problem this offseason, it's the lack of a scoring winger for Draisaitl's line in particular.

In any event, the answer is no he didn't learn his lesson. He's doing the same exact thing in Edmonton that he did in Boston almost to a T.
well then hopefully his drafting is the same way as its been in Boston

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Forgot about Brodziak and Rieder. I actually like those adds. Weren't they both originally drafted by Edmonton?

Reactions: 780il and THall4

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

and i am expecting another mediocre season here although adding Brodziak and Rieder are two players that can get the job done on the bottom 2 lines where the likes of Slepyshev could not. and maybe Rieder gets a look on Leon's wing and has success there? still i too think more needs to be done but won't get done and maybe it's a good thing because i just don't trust Chia's trading abilities.

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
"Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli is the NHL’s most infamous trader.
The list of players that have been dealt away during his watch in Boston and Edmonton is an impressive one and includes the likes of Blake Wheeler, Phil Kessel, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. Most general managers go an entire career without having that many All-Star level forwards in their grasp, let alone trading them all away them."

^One should note that there's no mention of who the return was in those trades.

EDM fans it's time to weigh in on the fact that Chia made very few moves this offseason. What's next? The trade deadline? A return to the semi finals?

To be honest, I think they did Chiarelli a favor by not mentioning the return in those trades, especially since things never really worked out afterwards. The most successful may be Blake Wheeler (Boston won the cup). Only Wheeler is still playing, but they still won. The next one is probably Hall which was bad value wise, but they did stabilize their D, which was important. All the rest can be seen as pretty bad imo, although, to be honest, I didn't hate the Eberle trade too much (I'm also not an Oilers' fan so that doesn't really matter). I think it's best to keep his returns unmentioned since almost all didn't end up staying with the team or didn't do much.

EDIT: I broke the quote. Oops.
EDIT: EDIT: I fixed the quote. Cheers!

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lmao

The Oilers are touting Mikko Koskinen and Patrick Russell as prized acquisitions lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad