Speculation: Has Peter Chiarelli Finally Learned His Lesson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
That Blake Wheeler trade, though. I forgot about that one.
That trade was actually a good trade for the bruins. Wheeler was a 40ish point winger who was not heavy on the puck or played a two way game like he does now. Peverley was very important piece in the bruins 2011 cup as a great third line player. Obviously in the log run that trade ends up ducking but I think since the Bruins got a cup and good production from peverly during the cup run it was a average deal at worst.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
That trade was actually a good trade for the bruins. Wheeler was a 40ish point winger who was not heavy on the puck or played a two way game like he does now. Peverley was very important piece in the bruins 2011 cup as a great third line player. Obviously in the log run that trade ends up ducking but I think since the Bruins got a cup and good production from peverly during the cup run it was a average deal at worst.

I agree, it was a win win then.
But if you look today, it looks worse, but not at the time.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I would've traded away RNH and Eberle, the 4OA pick in 2016 for defensive help if I was him, having a big 3 of McDavid, Hall and Draisaitl would've been enough for the Oilers right there.

You spend your money on your core players, you don't blow it in free agency on guys like Lucic or Russell. I like the Talbot move but he's really destroyed a situation that was pretty impossible to do so. That team should've had a future similar to the Leafs, now they'll be lucky to make the playoffs in the next 3 years because of their cap situation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The big difference seems to be that our team has a need for a RHD that can play the PP, and he didn't trade the 10th overall or RNH for it. We probably could have made a trade for Faulk for instance if we wanted to.

So I guess maybe Chia's stepping back and letting the team breathe and adjust to the alterations he's already made. Personally, I think Bouchard being a young version of exactly what we need meant that that pick wasn't tradeable (and really, even Dobson would have been great), and the chemistry between RNH and McDavid late in the season nixed a potential RNH trade. After that, the trade chips are slim, and the cap space is getting thin as it is.

So I don't think Chia has changed. It's that the team has changed as he's built it up. It's also dependant on what is available. Maybe he doesn't like Faulk, which I could understand. Maybe Green wanted to stay in Detroit all along.

Reactions: 780il

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The Kessel trade was a masterpiece that he defaced Jack Nicholson in the museum joker style by trading away Seguin for nothing. The Dougie Hamilton trade would have been a homerun had the draft pick been used on Barzal or Connor.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The Kessel trade was a masterpiece that he defaced Jack Nicholson in the museum joker style by trading away Seguin for nothing. The Dougie Hamilton trade would have been a homerun had the draft pick been used on Barzal or Connor.
He did trade Dougie Hamilton though.

But he did follow it up by trading for Griffin Reinhart......

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Seems like a stilted hit piece that doesn't really discuss anything other then "look he didn't trade Nuge"

Seems lazy and poor.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
That trade was actually a good trade for the bruins. Wheeler was a 40ish point winger who was not heavy on the puck or played a two way game like he does now. Peverley was very important piece in the bruins 2011 cup as a great third line player.
I’m not convinced this trade made much difference in that cup. Peverley’s underlying numbers were near identical to what Wheeler was already providing. IMO the perception it works was more a case of media hyping a "great move".

Reactions: Flyerfan52

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I dont think he's learned his lesson. He is on the hot seat and has no cap space. He knows that if he makes another major mistake then he'll be fired and jo team will probably hire him again. We also didn't really have any cap space at all to do much. We've upgraded our bottom 6 and our prospect pool looks actually kinda good. However, we still lack a winger for Drai and will need to rely on Lucic (yuck) to bounce back. I'm still waiting on a Lucic trade, make it happen Chia and please dont get embarrassed in this one.

TBH I'm kinda hoping the team does bad ij the first month so Chia gets fired then a competent GM can come in and right the ship.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I dont think he's learned his lesson. He is on the hot seat and has no cap space. He knows that if he makes another major mistake then he'll be fired and jo team will probably hire him again. We also didn't really have any cap space at all to do much. We've upgraded our bottom 6 and our prospect pool looks actually kinda good.
this makes no sense...if he didn't learn his lesson, wouldn't he have made a "big trade" by now?

However, we still lack a winger for Drai and will need to rely on Lucic (yuck) to bounce back. I'm still waiting on a Lucic trade, make it happen Chia and please dont get embarrassed in this one.
why can't Lucic bounce back? dude had 9 goals before Christmas last year then went into an epic funk

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
He isn't making any trades since he doesn't have a 100% backing from ownership. When he traded Hall and Eberle, Katz and Nicholoson were fine with it since the team needed a change (Hall) and needed cap space (Eberle). The support and belief in his ability has taken a serious blow in the past year with the Oilers missing the playoffs and Hall's MVP season.

If he makes the wrong move, he is fired. If the Oilers don't improve, he is fired. Also, no team would want to hire him after.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Hahahaha, definitely not. He just ran out of good players to move for lesser assets as of the time being. Give him time, he'll make more mistakes.

Keep in mind the lack of moves is also due to him handcuffing himself with bad cap space deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad