Guess the Chevy-Maurice contract extensions ain't look'in so bad now eh?!?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would there have been any downside to waiting a bit to re-sign Chevy as opposed to doing it so early? What is the upside to re-signing him early? What did we gain exactly by re-signing him early? Was he on the verge of tendering his resignation if we didn't re-sign him early? Early - why?

He wasn't extended early. Yes it was before his contract expired but it was right on the button for the long established, league wide, SOP.

Personally, I would have waited on Maurice but in hindsight what they did was probably better. If I had waited I would still have given him the extension as a Xmas present. I still hope they didn't go too long on Maurice. He has clearly shown enough to get an extension but I'm still not 100% sold on him, not quite. He's in the position where it is his to **** up though. Barring some unexpected glaring blunder I think we can assume he is our coach for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Expansion team or a collection, from around the league, of second line players?

It is an expansion team.
I think a collection of 3rd line players is more accurate. Every team was allowed to protect their top 6. There are a couple of 2nd line players in there. And a couple of the 3rd line players are defying the odds and turning out to be legit 2nd or even 1st line players. But they were almost all 3rd liners at the time of the XD.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Thanks!

That's helpful - I have noticed that this year when a dman was on a opposing forward in the Jets zone, they would back off once the forward circled toward the blue line. Whereas last year, we'd follow and end up with payers competely out of position.

Myself as well. I don't feel like the Jets have "chased" guys around our zone as much as they did in the past.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks!

That's helpful - I have noticed that this year when a dman was on a opposing forward in the Jets zone, they would back off once the forward circled toward the blue line. Whereas last year, we'd follow and end up with payers competely out of position.

Nope we are still following players up. Because that's how you play proper defense. If a team backs off when forwards move up the wall, that is just asking to be abused badly. Think about it for a second. If the defenseman drops off as a the forward moves the point, what's he dropping off to do? All he would do is provide a screen for the shot. And it puts the strong side "winger" in a no win situation. That player must now either attack the puck, allowing for an pass and shot from the point (with a extra screen now thanks to the extra defenseman) or he can stay up high and allow the opposing player who walked up the wall to walk to the middle for a shot.

What the Jets are doing is doing a much better job of tracking the guys in the defensive zone and knowing when to attack the puck carrier hard and when to contain. What you are likely noticing is this. When a player has full control and is walking up the wall, the defending player should be containing, not attacking. Forcing the player to go where you want the player to go. In the past too often the Jets have been caught in "chase" scenario's, where they attack too much and get caught on the wrong side of the player. When this happens this is when it looks like the team is running around. But you'll notice the defenseman/center will still follow their guy up the wall.

What people don't realize is that a "zone" defense and a "man-to-man" defense looks very similiar in execution in hockey, because of the fluidity of the sport, particularly now. The old "wisdom" was one defenseman always had to stand out front of the net. Nowadays everyone realizes that that is just a very poor idea. Since if there is no one there, him covering his "zone" is doing nothing but providing a screen for where the extra man is. Players are too good at finding the dead zones nowadays to be so static in the defensive zone in a "zone" defense. Or another example would be how a the weak side winger needs to play further down into the slot to provide an extra guy and read the play to make proper defensive zone coverage, instead of just standing by his defenseman.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Nope we are still following players up. Because that's how you play proper defense. If a team backs off when forwards move up the wall, that is just asking to be abused badly. Think about it for a second. If the defenseman drops off as a the forward moves the point, what's he dropping off to do? All he would do is provide a screen for the shot. And it puts the strong side "winger" in a no win situation. That player must now either attack the puck, allowing for an pass and shot from the point (with a extra screen now thanks to the extra defenseman) or he can stay up high and allow the opposing player who walked up the wall to walk to the middle for a shot.

What the Jets are doing is doing a much better job of tracking the guys in the defensive zone and knowing when to attack the puck carrier hard and when to contain. What you are likely noticing is this. When a player has full control and is walking up the wall, the defending player should be containing, not attacking. Forcing the player to go where you want the player to go. In the past too often the Jets have been caught in "chase" scenario's, where they attack too much and get caught on the wrong side of the player. When this happens this is when it looks like the team is running around. But you'll notice the defenseman/center will still follow their guy up the wall.

What people don't realize is that a "zone" defense and a "man-to-man" defense looks very similiar in execution in hockey, because of the fluidity of the sport, particularly now. The old "wisdom" was one defenseman always had to stand out front of the net. Nowadays everyone realizes that that is just a very poor idea. Since if there is no one there, him covering his "zone" is doing nothing but providing a screen for where the extra man is. Players are too good at finding the dead zones nowadays to be so static in the defensive zone in a "zone" defense. Or another example would be how a the weak side winger needs to play further down into the slot to provide an extra guy and read the play to make proper defensive zone coverage, instead of just standing by his defenseman.
Great description, I'll add to this that this applies to other areas of the ice when it comes to tracking and supporting as well. Forwards are doing a much better job of recognizing where they are and following their assignment based on which forward they happen to be on the forecheck, they have been supporting and rotating pretty seamlessly. This is also apparent in how they are tracking back all the way back to their zone, their has been great support at the opposing blue line and red line when our D has mobilized or stepped up to shut down an attack. Back pressure and support has been consistent, which has allowed the D to step up and hold the zone or play a tight gap through the neutral zone with confidence knowing the support is there.

The biggest difference isn't so much a change in systems, but an improvement in understanding, communication, trust and execution in what's being done.

Reactions: ps241

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
No, what difference does it make and why does that matter? Can you not say the same about any other talented roster around the league? Did Joel Quennville suddenly forget how to coach? Could other coaches not get similar performance from rosters such as Pittsburgh, Nashville, Tampa? Is Jon Cooper the only coach who could successfully get the Bolts to where they are, or does it have more to do with Stamkos, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, etc? How about Torts? Suddenly a genius or better roster and a great goaltender?

So we shouldn't praise those other coaches, but we should praise Maurice?

For the record, I don't think Maurice would get the same performance out of those other teams as their current coaches are. And I think Claude Noel would get a similar performance out of the Jets to what Maurice is doing now, maybe a touch worse.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

For the record, I don't think Maurice would get the same performance out of those other teams as their current coaches are. And I think Claude Noel would get a similar performance out of the Jets to what Maurice is doing now, maybe a touch worse.
Uhh, no? Just that the same logic should apply to them, they have great rosters and great goaltending, that's why their good coaches.

Your views on Maurice are pretty well known, it's great you think that but it's pretty irrelevant.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Uhh, no? Just that the same logic should apply to them, they have great rosters and great goaltending, that's why their good coaches.

Your views on Maurice are pretty well known, it's great you think that but it's pretty irrelevant.

Irrelevant in a thread about Maurice? Okay. So it's do as I say, not as I do.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He wasn't extended early. Yes it was before his contract expired but it was right on the button for the long established, league wide, SOP.

Personally, I would have waited on Maurice but in hindsight what they did was probably better. If I had waited I would still have given him the extension as a Xmas present. I still hope they didn't go too long on Maurice. He has clearly shown enough to get an extension but I'm still not 100% sold on him, not quite. He's in the position where it is his to **** up though. Barring some unexpected glaring blunder I think we can assume he is our coach for the foreseeable future.
Agreed. Barring something totally unseen like a 20 game losing streak, or a huge season to season drop off, Maurice will be the Jets coach very a very long time (in coaching years). IMO he will be given at least a couple playoff runs to see how far he can take them before there is any consideration of removing him.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Would there have been any downside to waiting a bit to re-sign Chevy as opposed to doing it so early? What is the upside to re-signing him early? What did we gain exactly by re-signing him early? Was he on the verge of tendering his resignation if we didn't re-sign him early? Early - why?
Except they weren't re-signed early. The most common time when GM's and coaches are re-signed is going into their final year. It was only the Jets board narrative that the organization needed to wait and not what was the primary practice across the league. If Chipman was on board with what both of them had done and was confident moving forward they were actually signed a little later than one might have expected.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

That's just guesswork with some underlying biases. Gallant has had a worse record than Maurice in his career.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
What can I say?

Maurice isn't going anywhere, neither is Chevy. I'm a fan of neither and think they've benefited entirely from being patient and having great scouting. You can hire me to make 1 player for player trade in 7 years and wait for my scouting staff to build me a team. I mean, I know this opinion will be tremendously unpopular but I'm not changing my tune after a half season of strong play.

That being said, he's our GM. This is our team. Win us a championship and I'll send Chevy a hand drawn thank you letter and picture of me and my family celebrating, complete with a snappy new 100 dollar bill and an envelope of kisses.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
If the Jets make the playoffs and win a round then both chevy and maurice deserve their extensions. If the Jets miss the playoffs or get dominated in round 1 then neither deserves to be here. It was a completely unnecessary gamble to give them early extension. Its not like teams around the league were chomping at the bit to sign them.

On one hand the organization is super patient when developing players and often waiting to signing them to extensions until end of summer unless they get a great deal like Ehlers. Yes they decided to jump the gun and give the unproven coach and gm early extensions. Stupid decision that could have easily backfired.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If the Jets make the playoffs and win a round then both chevy and maurice deserve their extensions. If the Jets miss the playoffs or get dominated in round 1 then neither deserves to be here. It was a completely unnecessary gamble to give them early extension. Its not like teams around the league were chomping at the bit to sign them.

On one hand the organization is super patient when developing players and often waiting to signing them to extensions until end of summer unless they get a great deal like Ehlers. Yes they decided to jump the gun and give the unproven coach and gm early extensions. Stupid decision that could have easily backfired.

You're fooling yourself if you don't think Chevy would be one of the most sought after free agent gms after what he's done building up the depth of the jets organization considering what they came here with from Atlanta...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You're fooling yourself if you don't think Chevy would be one of the most sought after free agent gms after what he's done building up the depth of the jets organization considering what they came here with from Atlanta...

Agreed, there have been plenty of whispers from insiders about just how respected Chevy is within the league. In the end what is not to like:

He has overseen a great drafting and developing system
He is generally very strong with his contract negotiations
He doesn't let himself get pushed around by agents
He doesn't make panic trades
He also seems to value analytics as part of making hockey related decisions.

All in all I think we have one of the better GM's in the league.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Late to the "party" here, which provides a different context than earlier posters, but I'll say now what I would have said before the Jets looked like garbage two games in a row.

I've been impressed with Chevy overall - I believe he's learned from the Stuart, Thorburn & Pavelec contracts. I think the Kane fiasco helped reinforce their 'good character' approach to drafting. Every GM will make some mistakes, but I think he's made fewer over time and I'm very impressed with our Jets & Moose roster.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Maurice. I really liked him the first 2 years and was impressed with his press conferences. Then I started wondering if he was ALL talk when he was saying unbelievable things (like the "it's not rec hockey" comment, but then turning around and rewarding players that sucked but looked like they're trying hard, or throwing rookies/young guys under the bus when it was the vets taking most of the undisciplined penalties).

The results this year and Wheeler's comments have helped assuage some of my skepticism, but I still believe there is a lot of room to improve in the coaching department. My current theory is that some of the past questionable personnel decisions may have been influenced by assistant coaches (like Huddy on D in particular - I recall Mo saying he wasn't an expert re: defense a few years ago and deferred to Huddy, something like that anyway).

PP is mostly improved with room to get even better, but our PK is only good because of goaltending - Hellebuyck has been able to track extremely well and has covered up an abysmal system in my opinion.

So my conclusion - Chevy deserved an extension; Mo didn't from a performance standpoint, but I'm fine with him staying if we can get a couple of better assistants. I think he is a great speaker, inspirer and figurehead, but he needs better people to help with in-game adjustments, line deployments and PK systems.

His talents are valuable and helpful, but no one is good at everything.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Possibly if the next team has over half a decade to spare.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Possibly if the next team has over half a decade to spare.
Sure, if you don't have the time to actually build a strong team and organization, you could opt for a genius like Chayka to trade away a high 1st for a player like Stepan and for Hjalmarsson, only to turn around and try to trade him after his value drops.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Sure, if you don't have the time to actually build a strong team and organization, you could opt for a genius like Chayka to trade away a high 1st for a player like Stepan and for Hjalmarsson, only to turn around and try to trade him after his value drops.
I was speaking truthfully.
Not many markets have the patience of this one.
We still need post season success before the safe “ I told you so “
comments.
Hey I believe in this roster and I’m pretty happy with Maurice’s handling of it.
It’s ok to be cautiously optimistic

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I was speaking truthfully.
Not many markets have the patience of this one.
We still need post season success before the safe “ I told you so “
comments.
Hey I believe in this roster and I’m pretty happy with Maurice’s handling of it.
It’s ok to be cautiously optimistic

I was thinking exactly this, including the fact that slow and steady may be near the front of the pack for now, but has yet to win the race. I don't think the Chevy way would go over well with the new Canes owner, as an example. Then again, how much of the Chevy way is the Chipman way? He may be very different working for a different owner. Doing what your boss wants is usually the best way to stay employed.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I was thinking exactly this, including the fact that slow and steady may be near the front of the pack for now, but has yet to win the race. I don't think the Chevy way would go over well with the new Canes owner, as an example. Then again, how much of the Chevy way is the Chipman way? He may be very different working for a different owner. Doing what your boss wants is usually the best way to stay employed.
In fairness those who have been die hard believers are being rewarded with a very good season so far.... heck we all are.
I don’t like the I told you so undertones.
Eventually you have to produce and many believers were using this season as the litmus test while still others would likely give Chevy and TNSE another few years.
Like you this year is put up or shut up for me as well .
Here’s to hoping
*tips glass cheers N.I.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad