Guess the Chevy-Maurice contract extensions ain't look'in so bad now eh?!?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was thinking exactly this, including the fact that slow and steady may be near the front of the pack for now, but has yet to win the race. I don't think the Chevy way would go over well with the new Canes owner, as an example. Then again, how much of the Chevy way is the Chipman way? He may be very different working for a different owner. Doing what your boss wants is usually the best way to stay employed.
Bad and impatient owners end up with bad teams.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
In fairness those who have been die hard believers are being rewarded with a very good season so far.... heck we all are.
I don’t like the I told you so undertones.
Eventually you have to produce and many believers were using this season as the litmus test while still others would likely give Chevy and TNSE another few years.
Like you this year is put up or shut up for me as well .
Here’s to hoping
*tips glass cheers N.I.
Well, some of us have been indicating that we thought the Jets were on the right track and would be ready to compete this year. Those aren't "undertones", that's just how the discussion has gone. Others have claimed that Maurice and Chevy are morons and would never have success. If the Jets were having a really bad year, I would have been inclined to rethink my previous assessments and have to agree.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I was speaking truthfully.
Not many markets have the patience of this one.
We still need post season success before the safe “ I told you so “
comments.
Hey I believe in this roster and I’m pretty happy with Maurice’s handling of it.
It’s ok to be cautiously optimistic
So which teams have been able to rush to contender status? Leaving aside LV as no other GM has ever been given those circumstances.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well, some of us have been indicating that we thought the Jets were on the right track and would be ready to compete this year. Those aren't "undertones", that's just how the discussion has gone. Others have claimed that Maurice and Chevy are morons and would never have success. If the Jets were having a really bad year, I would have been inclined to rethink my previous assessments and have to agree.
The Maurice and Chevy are morons crew are the minority. I feel people who expressed doubts and had reasonable criticisms of certain things are also lumped into that crew, unfairly. That's' where the I told you so undertones come from imo. It's as if you were fully onboard or you were a "doubter".

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
So which teams have been able to rush to contender status? Leaving aside LV as no other GM has ever been given those circumstances.
So what is reasonable then.
1 year ?
3 or 5 ?
7 in our case but still no playoff wins at least so far.
You tell me.
Babies were born when the Jets returned that are now in grade 1 with no playoff wins ..
Las Vegas still has bare cupboards which was parroted here for years and years as a problem and yet they did not miss a step with a rash of goal tending injuries.
We inherited a much better core than Vegas has.
Chevy rewarded bad players with juicy extensions.
Laine was manna from heaven.
Chevy benefits from a marketplace and owner that have patience and finances like many other markets wouldn’t have.
Hey I like where we are finally but Chevy is no genius

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
1 year ?
3 or 5 ?
You tell me.
Babies were born when the Jets returned that are now in grade 1 with no playoff wins ..
Las Vegas still has bare cupboards which was parroted here for years and years as a problem and yet they did not miss a step with a rash of goal tending injuries.
Chevy benefits from a marketplace and owner that have patience and finances like many other markets wouldn’t have.
You didn't really answer the question I posed. TNSE inherited an extremely flawed organization. Middle of the road talent with absolutely no prospect depth of any kind. Look at any recent cup winners, they all scooped along the bottom for a few years and accumulated good young talent and then rose quickly. Trying to cheat that for a quick fix usually mires you in the mushy middle for awhile before you drop.

Reactions: LowLefty

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You didn't really answer the question I posed. TNSE inherited an extremely flawed organization. Middle of the road talent with absolutely no prospect depth of any kind. Look at any recent cup winners, they all scooped along the bottom for a few years and accumulated good young talent and then rose quickly. Trying to cheat that for a quick fix usually mires you in the mushy middle for awhile before you drop.
Firstly I like where we are,
Second I did.
We inherited LLW
Buff and Enstrom which even to this day is better than anything Vegas has ...
Vegas has a head start in goal which was immediately negated by injuries.
Vegas has limited prospects now which will change over the next 2 seasons.
Listen I love our team but the blind loyalty is a bit much for a team with zero playoff wins in more than half a decade.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Second I did.
We inherited LLW
Listen I love our team but the blind loyalty is a bit much for a team with zero playoff wins in more than half a decade.

The jets lead the southeast division at times in years past. I like how much credit you're giving another organization with zero playoff wins. How many 30 goal seasons did the jets have in the first 5 years? I only remember Kane's 30goal season. Vegas may have a 40 goal player on their team, but I imagine you'll credit that to gallant hah.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The Maurice and Chevy are morons crew are the minority. I feel people who expressed doubts and had reasonable criticisms of certain things are also lumped into that crew, unfairly. That's' where the I told you so undertones come from imo. It's as if you were fully onboard or you were a "doubter".

There appeared to be quite a few last season - especially Maurice who go hammered after every loss. I used to cringe when reading those posts - outside of the beating Helle would frequently take, Mo was the goat in 2016/17 and it was usually based on his career record, defensive systems, line juggling, and misuse of guys like Dano, Petan, and Laine. IMO, all the above was due to injuries and decimated D core where anything but a basic man on man was too much for them to handle.
I've only got a year under my belt on HF but I seen a very divided fan base on this board last year - you were indeed very onboard or a doubter

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Second I did.
We inherited LLW
I'd say judge Chevy's work on if this young core can truly compete and can be kept together. It was always going to take time. The majority of the league hasn't had a sniff of a cup since we came aboard and most are much further away from contending then we are now. Just look at all the top teams and recent winners. They have all had extended periods at the bottom and built up from there. There are no quick fixes. And again you can't really compare Vegas, since no team has ever been in a 1 team generous expansion draft before.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
1 year ?
3 or 5 ?
You tell me.

What TNSE benefits from, as an Organization, is like minded individuals that have the conviction to stay the course; as was outlined since day one (May 31, 2011).

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The jets lead the southeast division at times in years past. I like how much credit you're giving another organization with zero playoff wins. How many 30 goal seasons did the jets have in the first 5 years? I only remember Kane's 30goal season. Vegas may have a 40 goal player on their team, but I imagine you'll credit that to gallant hah.
Relax
We had a very good core
Vegas is doing more with less
They solved 5 years of goaltending in 5 weeks

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We went through this Chevy = Genius thing during our 99 point season. Some posters were declaring the 5 year plan completed early. Yeah, that ended well for us.

Personally, I think it's different this year. The two pieces that had never been addressed, have now (pav + stu). Also, a gift from the lottery gods landed in Chevy's lap. And our young guys have had the opportunity to mature a bit. And I certainly dont expect Helle to crap the bed in the post season like Pav. But i do expect that the lack of playoff experience will hurt us.

Reactions: sipowicz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Relax
We had a very good core
Vegas is doing more with less
They solved 5 years of goaltending in 5 weeks

Oh come on, we weren't gifted a cup winning vet goalie for free or 31 players for free like they where. The Atlanta core wasn't very good and the depth was abysmal.

The situations are not at all comparable.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Oh come on, we weren't gifted a cup winning vet goalie for free or 31 players for free like they where. The Atlanta core wasn't very good and the depth was abysmal.

Situations don’t matter results do.
We are now in a position to succeed.
We are all hoping we will right ?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

I wanna play the you didn’t answer my question game.
Yes they got MAF then had better goaltending than us in 5 weeks ( then we had in 5 years )after numerous goalies when down to injuries and traded Pickard too.
We had Pavs guess Chevy is brilliant

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We went through this Chevy = Genius thing during our 99 point season. Some posters were declaring the 5 year plan completed early. Yeah, that ended well for us.

Personally, I think it's different this year. The two pieces that had never been addressed, have now (pav + stu). Also, a gift from the lottery gods landed in Chevy's lap. And our young guys have had the opportunity to mature a bit. And I certainly dont expect Helle to crap the bed in the post season like Pav. But i do expect that the lack of playoff experience will hurt us.
Well I, for one, thought that Chevy had plenty more work to do after 2015 to improve the speed and talent on the team. Evidently, Chevy and Maurice agreed. Now we are starting to see what a real contender might look like, in my opinion.

If you think the only important differences between this team and the 2014/15 team is goaltending and LD, then I have to disagree. The Jets have never had this level of talent and depth at every position. Also, they now have a strong prospect pool.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Situations don’t matter results do.
We are now in a position to succeed.
We are all hoping we will right ?

Of course we are, but you keep comparing results from teams that where given two completely different starting points and tools to assemble their respective teams, no? So forgive me if I don't look at the results as the be all end all in this comparison. Especially when I think the Knights season is a mirage and will crash and burn in the coming years.

I'm sure we would have looked great early on in our tenure if Chevy was able to acquire for free about 6 quality bottom 6 forwards as Vegas was or a legit good NHL starter for free.

I also think this myth about the Atlanta core needs to end. We are looking back on it with hindsight knowing what all the pieces became. When we got the team this is what we had:

Little as our number 1 C: The same Little that in 4 years in Atlanta had a career high of 51 points (As a winger) and was averaging about 40 p0ints as a C. It took him until his third year in WPG to blossom into a good mid level number 1 C but he hardly looked like a foundation piece when we got the team.

Andrew Ladd: had his first 50 plus point season in his 7th season in the league. He was already in his mid 20's when we got him. Once again at the time he looked like a good complimentary piece.

Blake Wheeler: Had a career high of 45 points in his first 3 years in the league. He broke out here right away but really hit his peak within the last 3 years.

Other than that we had Kane who was progressing nicely but only had a career best of 43 points. He looked like a core piece but had issues with his teammates.

Burmie: Rushed to the show coming off a 20 point system.

We had nothing in the system outside of that.

On defense:

We had Enstrom who yes was looking like very good number 1 dmen (The only legit established contending piece we had) Unfortunately most of his prime was wasted in Atlanta before we got the team back. He never hit those heights here.

Buff was coming off a great offensive year in his first year back as a dmen but there where questions about his fitness.

Hainsy was a solid 2nd pairing dmen.

Bogo was a young kid who was drowing at the time (approaching bust status)

Be honest while the defense looks ok, does that look at all like the basis of a contending forward core? None of those players broke out and became impact players until their mid to late 20's

Little 24
Wheeler 25
Ladd 25
Enstrom 27
Buff 26

I mean the window would have been crazy tight to try to win with that group given their age and the fact that only one was looking like a core piece at the time.

Look at it this way:

Our young core now:

Ehlers eclipsed the 60 point barrier as a 20 year old soft more, Laine as a 18 year old rookie. Scheifele eclipsed 60 points in his third year and 80 points in his fourth year. Connor looks to break the 55 point mark as a rookie. We have significantly better system depth with a 20 year old top scorer in the AHL and some other very good performing players on the farm. Morrissey and Trouba are a good all around number 1 pairing and Helle is a 24 year old starting goalie.

There is absolutely no comparison to be made between our foundation now vs. when we got the team back. The oldest members of our core are now as old as the youngest member of the Atlanta core sans Kane. Not only that but our young talent is significantly further ahead then where the Atlanta players where.

It hasn't been fun but I will take the road we traveled to get where we are core wise now vs. trying to spend assets we didn't have to prop up an ok but not great core and win.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Second I did.
We inherited LLW
Let's see if Vegas remains a top team for the next few years without having to go through a real draft and develop process. I really doubt that their current success is going to be sustainable. Bubble season, in my view.

Reactions: Robinson2187

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wanna play the you didn’t answer my question game.
Yes they got MAF then had better goaltending than us in 5 weeks ( then we had in 5 years )after numerous goalies when down to injuries and traded Pickard too.
We had Pavs guess Chevy is brilliant

Is that GMGM looking brilliant or is that him getting lucky (A junior goalie who got emergency recalled came in and played over his head in that stretch for petes sake) Don't tell me he expected that. Also its not like the Jets didn't get hot stretches from Hutch and Montoya and yes Pavs. You are comparing one 5 week stretch where Vegas got hot goal-tending, the Jets have had stretches of hot goaltending as well cough 14-15 cough. We shall see if they can whether another storm like that.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Not to mention that THIS expansion draft was a completely different animal than the X-drafts of the past. Vegas had a far better pool of players to choose from then let's say......oh I dunno...Washington when they bought in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad