Guess the Chevy-Maurice contract extensions ain't look'in so bad now eh?!?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Mo is doing just fine - he may not have got it done as quickly as many would have preferred but the results are there.

Sometimes other fans (and some of our own) will question why a lot of talent would sign in Wpg - and sign really reasonable contracts (from the organizations POV) to play in this city - and on top of that, they, for the most part, seem to really enjoy it here. Why is that?

Give the coach, mgment, and organization credit for getting a lot of that done.

I'll leave you with this Wheeler quote - NHL.com interview in Chicago yesterday

"I'm in a great spot. I've worked on my game a lot to get better every year and where that stacks up in the league, that's not for me to debate. I've been blessed to have a coach like Paul Maurice push me. I've learned a lot from him and I think my game has gotten better every year having a guy like him behind the bench."

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Mo is doing just fine - he may not have got it done as quickly as many would have preferred but the results are there.

Sometimes other fans (and some of our own) will question why a lot of talent would sign in Wpg - and sign really reasonable contracts (from the organizations POV) to play in this city - and on top of that, they, for the most part, seem to really enjoy it here. Why is that?

Give the coach, mgment, and organization credit for getting a lot of that done.

I'll leave you with this Wheeler quote - NHL.com interview in Chicago yesterday

"I'm in a great spot. I've worked on my game a lot to get better every year and where that stacks up in the league, that's not for me to debate. I've been blessed to have a coach like Paul Maurice push me. I've learned a lot from him and I think my game has gotten better every year having a guy like him behind the bench."
I didn't hear that quote, but when a popular captain like Wheeler says something like that, there is no doubt Maurice has total command of the room.

Reactions: GNP and Flair Hay

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I got in quite a few battles with many of you in the past couple of years because of my pro-management views. I feel somewhat validated based on the results this year. :)

Many people have pointed out that Maurice doesn’t have a great career win record. I pointed out that Maurice always had poor goaltending. Not surprised to see the results when Maurice actually gets competent goaltending.

I haven’t seen people gripe this year about our so-called “man-to-man” defensive system that “dinosaur” Maurice was employing “foolishly”. ;)

Reactions: Evil Little

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm okay with Chevy

still don't think pomo is the coach that wins the jets a Stanley cup

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I used to see a lot of complaints on these boards claiming Maurice was not playing his rookies enough, but the fact is that he has played them far more than almost any other NHL coach would have. It is clear that he had an agreement with management last year to play them as much as he did (even though people here say the opposite), and in return he'd get a shot with the team this year. I never understood the 'Maurice favours vets' argument, he's one of the coaches who favours and leans the least on veterans in the entire league.

I also give Maurice a lot of credit for how he handled the beginning of this season. After losing the first two games he publicly said that "this franchise doesn't move forward until it can defend", and was *able to fix the problem*. Players bought into it and after that we've been an almost unstoppable force. I can't stress it enough how vital Maurice was in this transition.

Also, people were giving Maurice slack for 'letting Buff run the show', and 'not punishing Buff for his roaming actions'. Well, Maurice told in an interview about how Buff had accepted a more defensively minded role, which was clearly beneficial for the team. After returning from his injury Buff started to play a bit unresponsively again and Maurice cut his play time, to the point where Buff refused to talk to media and later lamented the lack of ice time.

Special teams have also been solid this year - our PP is excellent, and I think we had ~30 or so penalty kills in a row without letting in a single goal on home ice.

Chevy on the other hand has built a totally incredible roster, to the point where people on other teams' GDTs claim the Jets have built their team purely on lottery luck. One could assume so by quickly looking at the team, not realising at what number the picks actually happened.

I give full kudos to our GM and coach! A job well done.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I got in quite a few battles with many of you in the past couple of years because of my pro-management views. I feel somewhat validated based on the results this year. :)

Many people have pointed out that Maurice doesn’t have a great career win record. I pointed out that Maurice always had poor goaltending. Not surprised to see the results when Maurice actually gets competent goaltending.

I haven’t seen people gripe this year about our so-called “man-to-man” defensive system that “dinosaur” Maurice was employing “foolishly”. ;)

OK, so what's your point? :sarcasm::D

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Fair points but I'll also point out the Jets have largely changed their D structure this year as well. It's clear in their play and Maurice has said as much himself. It's one of the things I give him most credit for.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I've never been on the "Fire Chevy" bandwagon. I think he's done some really good things and any of his mistakes are minor in the big picture. His slow and steady methodology works really well in the NHL today. I cringe when I see teams throw huge money and mediocre players because they're the best available in FA. His inaction during FA is actually something I have considered a plus so far. He's signed some high end talent to very reasonable contracts which has left us in a good spot cap wise.
This summer is a huge time for him though. Lots of talent to get signed and we should finally get some resolution in the Trouba situation.

Maurice.....I am eating some crow. I never hated him but I thought that the team was playing below it's means. In reality, last year was chopped full of injuries and putting the weight of the world on a rookie goaltender wasn't an ideal spot. That being said, the expansion draft threw a wrench into any ideas of making the team better via trade. This year, I think he's done a great job.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
It's pretty funny to start to see Babcock get roasted in Toronto for making decisions that a "bad" coach like Pomo would make. Signing and playing their version of mark Stuart (polak) big minutes or not giving their young star enough pp time. Maurice has actually given a ton of responsibility to his young players. Just look at our top D pair!!

Reactions: Flair Hay

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Still see no reason why Maurice and Chevy were re-signed early to multi-year extensions this past off season. Yeah, we are having a great year. But this was an unknown when the extension took place. I would understand the signing now, for example. Or even in late Nov/Dec. But there was no need and would have limited options if something needed to be done. Reminded me of when Chevy trotted out the early re-signing of Mark Stuart on trade deadline day a few years back - I guess to make it look like he was GM'ing or something. I didn't understand the logic behind early Stu, and I didn't understand the logic behind early Chevy / Maurice. At least not THAT early.

Chevy gets full marks for finally addressing Goaltending and LHD this off season. Even though Mason doesn't really look any better than Hutch, Chevy actually did something about this issue. Maybe it has somehow 'motivated' Helle to be an All Star level keeper. I don't believe that, but no way to know. But something needed to be done and Chevy finally did something meaningful about goaltending. Similarly, LHD. Great signing on Kulikov. Probably an overpay on both of them, but something needed to be done and he got it done and it is working out so he gets the credit.

Time to point out the flip side to this. Chevy made the decision in previous years NOT to address goaltending and LHD. This has undoubtedly cost us playoff appearances and experience. Lack of playoff experience will hurt us this year in the post season.

Maurice as our coach gets his share of the credit for the team's performance. I like the way he has handled the keeper situation, letting the play on the ice determine that Helle is now our number 1, even though Mason was the declared starter at the beginning of the year. In previous years, the contract would play, not the better keeper. I like his decision to transition Wheels to Center for now. But IMHO we could be better. Our PK system is a joke and it will hurt us in the playoffs. His insistence on Hendricks night after night is baffling. Buff on 3v3 has cost us points this year. I said this in early November, again later last year and I will say it again. BTW, when I said it last year I was scoffed at. Anyway, here it is again - Vegas is a better overall team that the Jets. And it's not because of the talent on the bench IMHO. Hint - Gallant.

GJG!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I said this in early November, again later last year and I will say it again. BTW, when I said it last year I was scoffed at. Anyway, here it is again - Vegas is a better overall team that the Jets. And it's not because of the talent on the bench IMHO. Hint - Gallant.

GJG!

Why is Gallant a better coach than Maurice? Because his team currently has 1 more point than the Jets? I assume you feel Vegas is a better overall team than 30 others as well, not because of the talent on the bench?

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Sips said what?

1297872396270_ORIGINAL.jpg

What????????????????????????????????????????????????

Really Sips SAID?

tweet.0.gif

f*** You f*** You f*** You

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sipowicz

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Still see no reason why Maurice and Chevy were re-signed early to multi-year extensions this past off season. Yeah, we are having a great year. But this was an unknown when the extension took place. I would understand the signing now, for example. Or even in late Nov/Dec. But there was no need and would have limited options if something needed to be done. Reminded me of when Chevy trotted out the early re-signing of Mark Stuart on trade deadline day a few years back - I guess to make it look like he was GM'ing or something. I didn't understand the logic behind early Stu, and I didn't understand the logic behind early Chevy / Maurice. At least not THAT early.

Chevy gets full marks for finally addressing Goaltending and LHD this off season. Even though Mason doesn't really look any better than Hutch, Chevy actually did something about this issue. Maybe it has somehow 'motivated' Helle to be an All Star level keeper. I don't believe that, but no way to know. But something needed to be done and Chevy finally did something meaningful about goaltending. Similarly, LHD. Great signing on Kulikov. Probably an overpay on both of them, but something needed to be done and he got it done and it is working out so he gets the credit.

Time to point out the flip side to this. Chevy made the decision in previous years NOT to address goaltending and LHD. This has undoubtedly cost us playoff appearances and experience. Lack of playoff experience will hurt us this year in the post season.

Maurice as our coach gets his share of the credit for the team's performance. I like the way he has handled the keeper situation, letting the play on the ice determine that Helle is now our number 1, even though Mason was the declared starter at the beginning of the year. In previous years, the contract would play, not the better keeper. I like his decision to transition Wheels to Center for now. But IMHO we could be better. Our PK system is a joke and it will hurt us in the playoffs. His insistence on Hendricks night after night is baffling. Buff on 3v3 has cost us points this year. I said this in early November, again later last year and I will say it again. BTW, when I said it last year I was scoffed at. Anyway, here it is again - Vegas is a better overall team that the Jets. And it's not because of the talent on the bench IMHO. Hint - Gallant.

GJG!
Gallant was a career 0.512 (points %) coach before this year. How did he become such a genius in the off-season?

I think you've really missed the story re: Chevy. He finally dipped into UFA to make a definitive move on LHD and in goal when he had a team that he thought was ready to compete. He could have sacrificed assets to bring in a goalie or LHD earlier, but what's the point if it isn't enough to make the team really competitive. Some of the NHL's biggest basket cases are due to GMs that misjudged their roster and competitive window and squandered assets and cap space to acquire short-term fixes for mediocre teams (think Vancouver and Montreal as examples).

As for Maurice, I was amused by Scott Campbell's piece in the WFP today, suggesting that now Maurice is turning the corner into becoming a "good" coach this season, as if somehow a coach with almost 1400 NHL games somehow transformed his coaching capabilities and style over the past 6 months. It's ludicrous. Maurice has laid down the foundation for his team's style and what he expects from his players, and now that he has talented players that have learned the system, they are performing well using almost any metric. I still disagree with some of his roster decisions and find the PK style frustrating, but he's getting results. The PK results started near the bottom but has improved steadily through the season as the PKers learned to execute. Similarly, as the team becomes more accustomed to playing "the right way" in his system, the Jets' are becoming one of the NHL's best in terms of almost every metric you would want to use.

No coach is infallible, and Maurice still has more to prove. But I am astonished at the lack of logic that some of the media and others are applying now, instead of just being able to say that maybe they were wrong and misjudged the situation previously.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Contract extensions aside, it really felt like this year would the year that would determine if the team would go forward with Maurice.

Last year truly would have felt like he was out of place as the Jets coach, if it werent for one thing. Every time the Jets would go through a 2 or 3 game stretch where the team looked completely lost and/or disinterested, instead of packing it in the team would respond in a big way, and we would see glimpses of what we have seen this year. During the bad times I would wonder if the coach had lost the team's collective ear. The response the team would give told me that the team was still listening. So I stayed patient, as frustrating as that was. I had to remind myself that the team was young and inexperienced, and injured.

When the team put together 7 straight wins at the end of year, I was certainly unenthused about it, ignoring that some of those wins came against hungry teams trying to better their playoff positions. In many ways, this year is a continuation of that streak, so maybe this year isnt really as out of left field as it seems.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Why is Gallant a better coach than Maurice? Because his team currently has 1 more point than the Jets? I assume you feel Vegas is a better overall team than 30 others as well, not because of the talent on the bench?

Vegas is a better team overall than the Jets - they have 1 more point and three games in hand. Gallant is a better coach because of what he got from the roster in Florida and what he is getting from the roster in Vegas. I would love to see what he could get from a talented Jets roster that is getting great goaltending. And yes, AnyTeam is a better overall team than the teams materially behind them in the standings.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Gallant was a career 0.512 (points %) coach before this year. How did he become such a genius in the off-season?

I think you've really missed the story re: Chevy. He finally dipped into UFA to make a definitive move on LHD and in goal when he had a team that he thought was ready to compete. He could have sacrificed assets to bring in a goalie or LHD earlier, but what's the point if it isn't enough to make the team really competitive.

He has previously dipped into the free agent market and has given up assets at trade deadline to acquire other assets. Was that to not compete?

Look. I don't want to get into a back and forth. He could have / should have done this earlier IMHO. Pav was the worst starting keeper in the league. Stuart early re-signing was a joke. But yes, he deserves credit for finally addressing these issues this past off-season. I wish he would have done it earlier. That's it. To the original post - extending of Chevy and Maurice this past off season - I think they could have waited until the results were showing. There was no downside to waiting a bit. That was my point.

By the way, I agree with most of the rest of your post.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Vegas is a better team overall than the Jets - they have 1 more point and three games in hand. Gallant is a better coach because of what he got from the roster in Florida and what he is getting from the roster in Vegas. I would love to see what he could get from a talented Jets roster that is getting great goaltending. And yes, AnyTeam is a better overall team than the teams materially behind them in the standings.
Because of the coach? Because that's what you said.

The rest is pretty subjective. I don't see Gallant as some wonder coach, he has a good team. He was so good in Florida they let him off at the next bus station.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

I think you've really missed the story re: Chevy. He finally dipped into UFA to make a definitive move on LHD and in goal when he had a team that he thought was ready to compete. He could have sacrificed assets to bring in a goalie or LHD earlier, but what's the point if it isn't enough to make the team really competitive. Some of the NHL's biggest basket cases are due to GMs that misjudged their roster and competitive window and squandered assets and cap space to acquire short-term fixes for mediocre teams (think Vancouver and Montreal as examples).

As for Maurice, I was amused by Scott Campbell's piece in the WFP today, suggesting that now Maurice is turning the corner into becoming a "good" coach this season, as if somehow a coach with almost 1400 NHL games somehow transformed his coaching capabilities and style over the past 6 months. It's ludicrous. Maurice has laid down the foundation for his team's style and what he expects from his players, and now that he has talented players that have learned the system, they are performing well using almost any metric. I still disagree with some of his roster decisions and find the PK style frustrating, but he's getting results. The PK results started near the bottom but has improved steadily through the season as the PKers learned to execute. Similarly, as the team becomes more accustomed to playing "the right way" in his system, the Jets' are becoming one of the NHL's best in terms of almost every metric you would want to use.

No coach is infallible, and Maurice still has more to prove. But I am astonished at the lack of logic that some of the media and others are applying now, instead of just being able to say that maybe they were wrong and misjudged the situation previously.
All coaches adapt, especially ones that manage to be around as long as Maurice. There is no way he hasn't changed course on a number of things, even in the past year, you have to if you're going to survive. Those that can't, don't.
I don't think it's fair or accurate to say everybody who was critical of Maurice last season misjudged the situation, there were legitimate things to be critical of. The I was right and you were wrong narrative is a tired one, everything isn't so black and white.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad