Guess the Chevy-Maurice contract extensions ain't look'in so bad now eh?!?

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Someone has stolen Sip account.

Or he's:

tenor.gif

Again.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
always been a fan of Chevy and to some extent Maurice but was starting to think at the beginning of the season without some level of success they could be nearing the end of their time here.

Very happy there are smarter people than us making the decisions in our org. :)

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Maurice: When PoMo's extension was announced many on this board were shall I say "less then excited" to down right in a panic about this decision. While I was surprised by the extension because I thought this decision would be made after this season I had no real issue with it. After the PO's in 15 Jets management saw that PoMo got the best he could out of the old Atlanta core and it was never going to be enough to be a real contender in the NHL. The decision was made that it was time to go with younger, more skilled and faster players.

I don't think many appreciate the risk PoMo took to agree with this move to go much younger. There is a lot of risk when you put so many rookies on your team in a short period of time (two seasons). You can't shelter them and they will be exposed over and over again until they learn how to be good NHL vets. Also PoMo had to get the buy in from his vets like Wheeler, Buff, and Little who so far have had very little PO success and their window of opportunity is closing as they get older. They knew going younger could mean 1- 3 years of futility before the young guys will be ready to compete. This is not easy in todays NHL where star players make 3-6 time what the coach makes with full knowledge that if the team is bad it will be the coach that goes not them. These are the risks Maurice took to stay with the Jets with the full knowledge that if he doesn't succeed with the Jets his career as a NHL coach may be over for good.

Maurice has basically had 4 full years as the Jets coach. He seems to still have the respect of his player and more importantly his vets. This is true even though the team has zero playoff success so far. Most if not all the rookies and young guys (Scheif, Trouba and Lorwy) have developed nicely and are now some of the most important players the team has and this current version of the Jets is by far the best in 2.0 and maybe be the best ever. While Chevy absolutely deserves credit for stock pilling so much great talent it is Maurice that turn all these great individual skilled players in to a winning TEAM.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Chevy-slow and steady wins the race!

Maurice-finally has a good roster to work with?!
Sheer craziness when Sip starts a thread like this:huh:. I rate Chevy in the upper half of GMs at this point; could jump substantially if he negotiates wisely with Trouba, Laine, Helly etc. Still rate Maurice in the lower half of coaches, because onyone can look good when you have the skill he has at his disposal & an all-star goalie. If he can keep this group on track & they win a couple rounds, he'll jump substantially for me.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Sheer craziness when Sip starts a thread like this:huh:. I rate Chevy in the upper half of GMs at this point; could jump substantially if he negotiates wisely with Trouba, Laine, Helly etc. Still rate Maurice in the lower half of coaches, because onyone can look good when you have the skill he has at his disposal & an all-star goalie. If he can keep this group on track & they win a couple rounds, he'll jump substantially for me.
Skill and good goaltending tend to make good coaches, good coaches.

Reactions: Calendal

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maurice: When PoMo's extension was announced many on this board were shall I say "less then excited" to down right in a panic about this decision. While I was surprised by the extension because I thought this decision would be made after this season I had no real issue with it. After the PO's in 15 Jets management saw that PoMo got the best he could out of the old Atlanta core and it was never going to be enough to be a real contender in the NHL. The decision was made that it was time to go with younger, more skilled and faster players.

I don't think many appreciate the risk PoMo took to agree with this move to go much younger. There is a lot of risk when you put so many rookies on your team in a short period of time (two seasons). You can't shelter them and they will be exposed over and over again until they learn how to be good NHL vets. Also PoMo had to get the buy in from his vets like Wheeler, Buff, and Little who so far have had very little PO success and their window of opportunity is closing as they get older. They knew going younger could mean 1- 3 years of futility before the young guys will be ready to compete. This is not easy in todays NHL where star players make 3-6 time what the coach makes with full knowledge that if the team is bad it will be the coach that goes not them. These are the risks Maurice took to stay with the Jets with the full knowledge that if he doesn't succeed with the Jets his career as a NHL coach may be over for good.

Maurice has basically had 4 full years as the Jets coach. He seems to still have the respect of his player and more importantly his vets. This is true even though the team has zero playoff success so far. Most if not all the rookies and young guys (Scheif, Trouba and Lorwy) have developed nicely and are now some of the most important players the team has and this current version of the Jets is by far the best in 2.0 and maybe be the best ever. While Chevy absolutely deserves credit for stock pilling so much great talent it is Maurice that turn all these great individual skilled players in to a winning TEAM.

Credit where its due for him folloing his marching orders and playing the kids but I don't see it as much of risk for him. In fact there would be greater risk to him not following them, how quickly we forget he was out if the NHL coaching in Europe not all that long ago with very little chance if him getting back in had the Jets not come calling. Had he deviated from the plan he most certainly would have been removed from his position ala McCambridge who didn't follow directive. Do you think he would have been afforded another head coaching job?

He was smart enough to know that the org is loyal and if he held up his end of the bargain he would get the opportunity to run with talent when it was ready.

Good on him for what he's done this year.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
If Maurice is only good because he has skill and good goaltending, then wouldn't he only have been bad because he had no skill and terrible goaltending? Which is it? Can't say the guy is only good because he has these things now and not acknowledge that he might have looked bad because those same things were lacking. IMO Maurice is a good coach and players like him, Wheeler saying he's the best coach he ever had should be a pretty good sign that he knows what he's doing. Wheeler played for Claude Julien by the way, who everyone seems to love.

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
I've never had a problem with Cheveldayoff or Maurice. I thought Maurice did a fine job with the hand of players he's been dealt.

The concern that I had prior to this season was related to the apparent deficiencies in the specialty teams and goaltending. I assumed the Jets organization were being loyal to a fault with their staff of assistant coaches.

I still feel those deficiencies were real. However, they are no longer a concern to me.

I'm still amazed at how quickly the whole team including players and coaches transitioned from "having potential" to dominant. And I think a large amount of credit can go to scouting and coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->