Guess the Chevy-Maurice contract extensions ain't look'in so bad now eh?!?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's pretty obvious he's benefiting from a very good lineup, what successful coach doesn't? I think Maurice's biggest achievement this year is the buy in he's been able to get from everyone. They all play the same way, they are all being accountable. That's no small task with a roster that has as much youth as the Jets have, while also having a number of established vets. The leadership that has been set up is also a big part of that, which Mo should also get some credit for.

Reactions: ERYX and Flair Hay

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With regards to the topic. I have been a Chevy booster for a while. I figured out the plan early on and it has unfolded pretty much as I thought it would with some hiccups here and there.

I was less sure on Maurice. I liked him his first few years here but thought he had an awful year last season in which he just seemed to not understand what he had and had the completely wrong systems. Credit to him from learning from it and changing things up heading into this season. He has the team playing the right way with by an large the correct systems.

But the job ain't done, next stop playoffs with the goal of winning a cup in the next few years.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If Maurice is only good because he has skill and good goaltending, then wouldn't he only have been bad because he had no skill and terrible goaltending? Which is it? Can't say the guy is only good because he has these things now and not acknowledge that he might have looked bad because those same things were lacking. IMO Maurice is a good coach and players like him, Wheeler saying he's the best coach he ever had should be a pretty good sign that he knows what he's doing. Wheeler played for Claude Julien by the way, who everyone seems to love.

It starts getting into a consideration of how much difference a coach can make. I think that quite often it isn't about good coach v bad coach. It is the right coach at the right time for a given team. We certainly have seen instances of a coaching change turning a team around. We have also seen multiple coaches unable to get much out of some teams.

Even good coaches require good players in order to succeed. Bad coaches can make good teams underachieve. Most coaches are probably somewhere in between and end up good or bad according to the rosters they get. I think Maurice is in that middle group. He seems like he just might be that right coach for this team right now. So far, so good but the jury is still out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've never had a problem with Cheveldayoff or Maurice. I thought Maurice did a fine job with the hand of players he's been dealt.

The concern that I had prior to this season was related to the apparent deficiencies in the specialty teams and goaltending. I assumed the Jets organization were being loyal to a fault with their staff of assistant coaches.

I still feel those deficiencies were real. However, they are no longer a concern to me.

I'm still amazed at how quickly the
whole team including players and coaches transitioned from "having potential" to dominant. And I think a large amount of credit can go to scouting and coaching.

Anyone who followed Chicago's rise would attest that it was like a switch went off and they just started dominating.

In a past post I pointed out the parallels between the age of our core vs their core (when it made the transition to cobtender) and this season was when our core would reah the equivilint age as theres was. We seem to be right on schedule.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Maurice: When PoMo's extension was announced many on this board were shall I say "less then excited" to down right in a panic about this decision. While I was surprised by the extension because I thought this decision would be made after this season I had no real issue with it. After the PO's in 15 Jets management saw that PoMo got the best he could out of the old Atlanta core and it was never going to be enough to be a real contender in the NHL. The decision was made that it was time to go with younger, more skilled and faster players.

While I am happy for the success the Jets are having, this is a false narrative. Not sure why some keep saying this to make it look like it was part of some calculated grand plan. Please explain what the Jets did to try to get "younger, more skilled and faster players" after the 2015 playoffs.

They resigned Stafford and let Frolik/Stemp walk. Stafford who is both slower and older than Frolik.

The only younger player who was added to the lineup to develop was Ehlers, a guy who was already better than many players on the team.

They tried to sign Ladd, offered him a bigtime contract that he refused. Re-signed Buff, made no attempt to tank for a high pick (until the season was already lost). The only futures they added that season were what came out of the Ladd trade. They got lucky with the lottery.

I will give them credit for giving minutes to younger players in the 16-17 season even when some of them were not playing well. But the 2015 narrative that some try to promote is just wrong.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While I am happy for the success the Jets are having, this is a false narrative. Not sure why some keep saying this to make it look like it was part of some calculated grand plan. Please explain what the Jets did to try to get "younger, more skilled and faster players" after the 2015 playoffs.

They resigned Stafford and let Frolik/Stemp walk. Stafford who is both slower and older than Frolik.

The only younger player who was added to the lineup to develop was Ehlers, a guy who was already better than most players on the team.

They tried to sign Ladd, offered him a bigtime contract that he refused. Re-signed Buff, made no attempt to tank for a high pick. The only futures they added that offseason were what came out of the Ladd trade. They got lucky with the lottery.

I will give them credit for giving minutes to younger players in the 16-17 season even when some of them were not playing well. But the 2015 narrative that some try to promote is just wrong.

They started the 15-16 season with Copp, Ehlers and Petan on the roster so they definitely where looking to go young.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
They started the 15-16 season with Copp, Ehlers and Petan on the roster so they definitely where looking to go young.

Petan was Moosebound after a brief stint with the Jets. Copp was playing in an extremely limited 4th line role. The only younger player given any kind of decent minutes was Ehlers (and even he spent a huge chunk of the middle of the season with Thorburn). Chris Thorburn played 82 games. Peluso and Halischuck combined to play 65 games, how's that for "speed, skill and youth". The Jets could have signed both Frolik and Stempniak and still played Ehlers, Copp, Armia in the role they did.

Reactions: Board Bard

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The only younger player who was added to the lineup to develop was Ehlers, a guy who was already better than many players on the team.

They tried to sign Ladd, offered him a bigtime contract that he refused. Re-signed Buff, made no attempt to tank for a high pick (until the season was already lost). The only futures they added that offseason were what came out of the Ladd trade. They got lucky with the lottery.

You are ignoring that Stempniak was told he would not be signed because the team wanted to go younger. You have a point that it looked like a funny way to show it, other than rejecting Stemp.

Letting Tlusty go was enough to open a spot for Ehlers. Let Stafford go and keep Frolik and Stempniak would have been a better roster for '16. No telling how it would have worked out at the draft. We would still have had bad goaltending so significant progress was unlikely. Ladd would still have been bad Ladd and still likely have moved on (we hope!). Maybe instead of Laine we get Sergachev, McAvoy or Keller.

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
Something else that the team has managed to shed is a culture of losing. I think great teams are more than the sum of their parts. Certainly a great team has to have players of above average skills, but it takes more than that to maintain a consistent winning percentage and, dare I say, be a championship calibre team.

Take Edmonton and Buffalo in particular. By looking at their lineups, they rate better than teams in the bottom third of the standings. However, they play like a collection of individuals, rather than as a team. I think the Atlanta era of this franchise had that too. And that carried through the first few years following relocation. Clearly, the culture of the Jets has changed and that change was as necessary as building a depth of skill. And it isn't just the Jets - the Moose, too, are running on the same new and improved level of winning attitude.

I wish I could point a finger at where this new attitude has come from. But it's as important as anything else that has been keeping the team near the top of the league this year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone who followed Chicago's rise would attest that it was like a switch went off and they just started dominating.

In a past post I pointed out the parallels between the age of our core vs their core (when it made the transition to cobtender) and this season was when our core would reah the equivilint age as theres was. We seem to be right on schedule.

If I recall they went from missing the playoffs under Savard, to firing him early the next year for Q. They won two rounds Q's first season. Then won the Cup the next year.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
With regards to the topic. I have been a Chevy booster for a while. I figured out the plan early on and it has unfolded pretty much as I thought it would with some hiccups here and there.

I was less sure on Maurice. I liked him his first few years here but thought he had an awful year last season in which he just seemed to not understand what he had and had the completely wrong systems. Credit to him from learning from it and changing things up heading into this season. He has the team playing the right way with by an large the correct systems.

But the job ain't done, next stop playoffs with the goal of winning a cup in the next few years.

This is the problem between this boards and the front office/mo, I believe the plan all along is to take their time with prospects and always have them in a position to overachieve rather than have them in a spot because they have more pure talent than their older counterparts. They've done a masterful job of slowing the process and teaching these players how to be successful while creating a winning product on both teams. Instead of rushing guys along we're seeing guys like Joel Armia, Adam Lowry, and Andrew Copp flourish on the third or fourth lines and younger players like Roscoe, Petan, and Lemieux dominate the AHL.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

They tried to sign Ladd, offered him a bigtime contract that he refused. Re-signed Buff, made no attempt to tank for a high pick (until the season was already lost). The only futures they added that season were what came out of the Ladd trade. They got lucky with the lottery.

Don't forget Armia....Copp, Armia and Ehlers were all added that season.....25% of the forwards....I'd say that is going young.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Pretty sure those 28 other teams wish they were ahead of that expansion team.

But they're not! They're behind the Jets. :thumbu: ;)

Back to the thread: I liked Maurice during the first year, and the playoff year. Some impressive results. Was a bit unsure of what the plan was in the intervening years, but by plan and some luck, they've got quite a roster amassed, and Maurice (as Guerzy mentioned earlier) seems to have re-evaluated certain things, and has them not only collecting points and outscoring most teams (2nd in the league in goals potted), but he also turned around their fancy stats. They're a dominant team on boxcars AND on basic shot differential stats, so much so that the stats community is going WTF.

Figured both would get some sort of extension (lame duck, whether it's a real thing or not), but was wary. Our start was scary, but that quickly turned around. I worried about the sustainability, but that changed for me with the changing metrics.

I'm cool with him at the helm at this point. Still some things to improve, but I think he might be able to make an old dog learn new tricks - the old dog being himself, since he's already done it in most areas that count already this year.

As for Chevy: I bought into the mantra of draft and develop, and for the most part that's what he's done. He's occasionally splurged on players to prop up the roster enough to make them interesting to watch, or at the TD when they were likely playoff bound. Now? Freakin' embarrassing of riches - I thought this going into the season, so my opinion in that regard hasn't changed. I like what he's done, full stop.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

This is a tired and false narrative. The Jets expressed an intent to go younger, faster and more skilled. You can't just wave a wand and hurry development for young players like Ehlers and Morrissey and it would be unwise to do so. But let's just look at the facts, in terms of roster change since 2015...

In...

Ehlers
Laine
Copp
Morrissey
Hellebuyck
Armia
Tanev
Connor
Petan (off and on)
Dano (off and on)

Out...

Stempniak
Ladd
Frolik
Slater
Pavelec
Stuart
Halischuk
Peluso
Tlusty
Stafford
Thorburn

I'll let someone else calculate the age / experience of the "in" vs. "out" group, but I think it's obvious that the Jets overhauled a bunch of the roster with younger and faster and more skilled players. If you can't see or acknowledge that, it's your prerogative, but the evidence is pretty clear.

The process wasn't precipitous, but that's an appropriate development model.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is a tired and false narrative. The Jets expressed an intent to go younger, faster and more skilled. You can't just wave a wand and hurry development for young players like Ehlers and Morrissey and it would be unwise to do so. But let's just look at the facts, in terms of roster change since 2015...

In...

Ehlers
Laine
Copp
Morrissey
Hellebuyck
Armia
Tanev
Connor
Petan (off and on)
Dano (off and on)

Out...

Stempniak
Ladd
Frolik
Slater
Pavelec
Stuart
Halischuk
Peluso
Tlusty
Stafford
Thorburn

I'll let someone else calculate the age / experience of the "in" vs. "out" group, but I think it's obvious that the Jets overhauled a bunch of the roster with younger and faster and more skilled players. If you can't see or acknowledge that, it's your prerogative, but the evidence is pretty clear.

The process wasn't precipitous, but that's an appropriate development model.
Agreed. Just because there was the odd misstep along the way doesn't mean there wasn't a clear plan. You can take the organization at their word or not but they came out very publicly after the failed 4 game sweep to the Ducks that they believed they needed to get younger, faster and more skilled to contend. Then over the next 3 seasons they went about pushing in young skilled players and moving on from fading vets as they could. The end result was a massive transformation of the roster to a very fast, skilled and still young team that has the hockey world's attention. Good times are here, and even better times are on the horizon :nod:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4