Guess the Chevy-Maurice contract extensions ain't look'in so bad now eh?!?

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
I like Chevy. Most interviews he doesn’t give much but when decisions are made, he gives insights on how decisions were made. He is very calculating. And he doesn’t panic when there are hiccups along the way.

Maurice is very articulate. I wonder how many here enjoys listening to Maurice interviews. There’s always something I pick up about the game of hockey with his interviews.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hope Maurice doesn't pull more rookie coach mistakes in the playoffs, like the stupid offside challenge that cost us a goal and at least a point against the Preds. Pretty dumb player utilization at the end of the game as well, putting our crappy D pairing who are getting eaten alive all night out at the end of the game. Let's get all the dumb coaching mistakes out now during the regular season please.

Reactions: sipowicz

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hope Maurice doesn't pull more rookie coach mistakes in the playoffs, like the stupid offside challenge that cost us a goal and at least a point against the Preds. Pretty dumb player utilization at the end of the game as well, putting our crappy D pairing who are getting eaten alive all night out at the end of the game. Let's get all the dumb coaching mistakes out now during the regular season please.
Usually on same page as you, but guessing it wasn’t his decision alone.
Offside reviews like goaltender interference is at best a crap shoot so I didn’t lose my shit when we challenged and lost.
I haven’t been a big Maurice fan but honestly he’s done well in my opinion.
The whole backend was a tire fire except Buff and Morrissey last game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Usually on same page as you, but guessing it wasn’t his decision alone.
Offside reviews like goaltender interference is at best a crap shoot so I didn’t lose my **** when we challenged and lost.
I haven’t been a big Maurice fan but honestly he’s done well in my opinion.
The whole backend was a tire fire except Buff and Morrissey last game.
When we are judging coaches IMO the big picture is far more important than one of the dozens of in game decisions on a nightly bases. Some will go right some will go wrong. Jets have had a couple good replay calls this season, as well as some really good time out calls. They have also missed on a couple like Tuesday. I'm curious what coach has ever called every replay and timeout decision exactly right. Over the course of the season Maurice seem to me at least to have been more right than wrong.

For me the big picture is far more important. We have dramatically improved in just about every team stat this season from last. 5th in points %, 3rd in GF/60, 7th GA/60, 2nd PP, 8th PK. And again 2 rookies have seamlessly been absorbed into the lineup playing important roles. We managed our way through a major injury to our #1 center and to a top pairing defenseman. Through that every player has bought in and by every report it is a very tight knit room and all the while Maurice has total command of the room. Seems to me complaining about the smallest of details is mostly just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
When we are judging coaches IMO the big picture is far more important than one of the dozens of in game decisions on a nightly bases. Some will go right some will go wrong. Jets have had a couple good replay calls this season, as well as some really good time out calls. They have also missed on a couple like Tuesday. I'm curious what coach has ever called every replay and timeout decision exactly right. Over the course of the season Maurice seem to me at least to have been more right than wrong.

For me the big picture is far more important. We have dramatically improved in just about every team stat this season from last. 5th in points %, 3rd in GF/60, 7th GA/60, 2nd PP, 8th PK. And again 2 rookies have seamlessly been absorbed into the lineup playing important roles. We managed our way through a major injury to our #1 center and to a top pairing defenseman. Through that every player has bought in and by every report it is a very tight knit room and all the while Maurice has total command of the room. Seems to me complaining about the smallest of details is mostly just complaining for the sake of complaining.
Hey I was of the mindset that if he had a career year I’d be happy and I wouldn’t complain about him,
I have eaten lots of crow this year and I’m ok with that.
Winning changes a lot,the past needs to be left there.
I think we have a legit shot this year if goalies can hold up, that’s my only concern and I expressed that a while back.

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I hope Mason passes his test with the Moose this weekend and is able to play against the Rags or Devils next week. I think the Rags game would be ideal. Then play him again in Nashville.

edit ... if Mason is healthy and good to go, I would play him against NY, NSH, Ducks, Hawks, and let's hope the Habs will be the last time we see him on the ice this season.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ive had my doubts, especially about PoMo.

But its hard not to like both, at least as humanbeings.

Every player also seems to really like PoMo, even a guy like Ehlers dad, has had nothing but praise for how he treats his players.

And now, the way he has gotten us so far, im impressed, and very happy and content with these two guys at the helm!

DK59

Nov 18, 2012

As already stated it would likely have been somebody else looking at this and based on that initial look at the play they presumably thought there was a reasonable chance the goal would be overturned. This is purely a risk reward play and in this case it did not work out in our favour with the double whammy of the second goal being scored. This is hardly an example of a rookie mistake but rather a decision being made on the fly that clearly involved a calculated risk that worked against us in the end. Personally I am not a big fan of offside reviews but there have been a lot of goals called back over the past couple of year as a result of these reviews and many of the reviews are very close. I am glad to see that they appear to be moving away from requiring the skate being in contact with the ice because that should make it a lot easier for the linesman to make the correct initial call on these plays that are so borderline.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Alright Uncle Sip you can come clean now. Who did you lose the bet to? Why would you allow a wager of a free post on hf?

You're slipping.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I know I'm late to the party but man, arguing that 'almost signing' Ladd was a reason that Chevy is a bad GM is some of the most ass backwards logic I've ever heard.

He didn't sign him, he made the right move. He had the choice to increase his offer and make it so that Ladd couldn't refuse, he didn't, he drew the line and made the right choice. This is a good thing, in fact it's maybe the best thing he has done.

We have no idea how many players are 'almost signed' every year. You cannot seriously try to use that against them. How many 'almost trades' went down where they could have been horrendous for one side but never went through? Nobody knows.

Appalling logic.

Sorry I know those were old posts and I'm off topic.

GJG!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Before the season I was skeptical about Maurice's ability to coach a really skilled team, though I thought the regular slagging of him for his career record was off base because he's coached many terrible rosters.

As this season progresses, I think Maurice deserves credit for his coaching. By some metrics, the Jets are near the top of the NHL in terms of high quality shot differentials 5v5. The Jets special teams performance is near the top of the NHL. Many young players have developed nicely, including Connor, Lowry, Copp and Armia. Key vets have also settled in, including Buff.

I think he clearly deserves at least a passing grade for his performance, and probably more.

Reactions: Jack722

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad