Proposal: Guess Karlsson's 10 team no trade list

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Well sure, but that's a lot different than "not having room" or "not needing" him, which is what I was addressing.

EK literally is the best D in the nhl by most people’s standard. So literally everyone could use him, just some aren’t a high priority or can’t afford him. Jets are the ladder imo, can’t afford his cap and wouldn’t give up the required pieces to get him. Good player, but Jets wouldn’t pursue any trade for him.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Oh well that would be swell. We still have to re-sign Kucherov and Point. Fitting Karlsson in would need all three to take less than market value. Kucherov already took a discount. I think we will probably pay him very well for that. He may take a discount if he thinks Karlsson has interest to come. Then you also have to get Karlsson to take less than market value. If Point keeps his play up he’s going to get a nice raise. Tough to say. Would love to see him play next to Hedman here.

Less tax in Florida than Ottawa. He might take a bit less of a caphit to play there. They can always move someone like Killorn too. It'd be difficult, but Yzerman could make it work.

Edit: Especially if the cap jumps to 82 million.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well sure, but that's a lot different than "not having room" or "not needing" him, which is what I was addressing.
Actually I think you are referring to "want" vs "need". Every team WANTS Karlsson. He is one of the best players in the world. The Jets have 3 (possibly 4 if Poolman keeps developing) good RHD. They already have an expensive D core with Trouba and Morrissey needing new deals. They dont NEED EK. Sure they would love to add him to the team but the cost is likely prohibitive in assets and very, very costly to re-sign.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
For the Jets to get EK.. Buff would have to go to Ottawa for cap purposes and because Jets have 3 or 4 good RHD already so one would need to go and salary wise.. Buff makes the most sense.

EK for Buff? Sign me up. Anything else? No Thanks

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Actually I think you are referring to "want" vs "need". Every team WANTS Karlsson. He is one of the best players in the world. The Jets have 3 (possibly 4 if Poolman keeps developing) good RHD. They already have an expensive D core with Trouba and Morrissey needing new deals. They dont NEED EK. Sure they would love to add him to the team but the cost is likely prohibitive in assets and very, very costly to re-sign.
Is this what mansplaining feels like? Don't tell me what I'm saying.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Agreed

It would require a big cap hit, multi trades and giving more then we would want to, to make it happen in Winnipeg. I don’t see the Jets pursuing EK in any trade

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Karlsson has a smoke model wife and I bet they want to go tropical. He also doesnt strike me as a guy who cares about winning that much either. Sure he "wants" to win, but like a ton of Europeans the desire for the Cup isnt the same as North Americans.

People assuming these players want to go to a place only if their team is good is laughable. Hes going to get paid and be in nice weather.

No trade:
Buffalo
Columbus
Vancouver
Edmonton
Toronto
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Calgary
Montreal
Detroit

HM: NYI and AZ because they're joke franchises with who knows what future.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth

Yup, I just didn't feel like explaining it like you did; I knew someone was going to go full panty-bunch to my "Zero Need" comment as well.

Once again. Zero needs for EK.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Do Devils fans like this? It looks half decent for Ottawa if Karlsson demands a trade and is leaving no matter what.

Who plays top 9 center for the Devils then though? Hischier and Zajac and ... who?

I would absolutely do that trade if ONE OF Zacha or McLeod were taken out. We can't afford to give up both of our promising young center prospects. Take Zacha since he's shown some flashes at the NHL level. McLeod is an unknown although he's obviously too good for juniors right now.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Johansson-Zacha/McLeod-Palmieri
Wood-Zajac-Noesen/Stafford
Gibbons-Boyle-Coleman

Greene-Karlsson
Moore-Vatanen
Butcher-Santini/Mueller

Schneider/Kinkaid

I like it.

Also, for his no trade list:

1. Los Angeles (No one else put LA on their list I don't think... however as it stands, they have Doughty as the #1RD. Wherever Karlsson goes he's going to get paid big bucks in his next contract and will want to he THE GUY and not compete for #1RD, #1PP time with Doughty.)

2. NYR (Cup window is closing, not opening. If they win it's going to be right now or they will be in a re-tool/re-build. Might hurt Karlsson's chances of re-signing there and NYR SHOULD'NT want to pay what it will cost to get him just for a rental).

3. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary (TOR/MTL due to salary cap and media pressure. VAN is rebuilding and not close. CGY because of uncertainty regarding arena/status in city/and still re-tooling).

4. Florida

5. Arizona

6. Colorado

7. Vegas (Not a very strong prospect base. Also an uncertain future. If they don't keep winning, they will absolutely sell off pieces for picks/prospects at the deadline. Not enough guys are on long term deals for Karlsson to see the vision of this team's near future. Obviously he will want to win in the next 7-8 years).

8. Detroit- Uncertain when they will be a cup contender again especially with Zetterberg's career winding down. Also, if the team is not good, it's an unappealing area.

9. Pittsburgh- They won their championships and sooner or later people will be asking if it's time to trade Malkin or Crosby. If Karlsson wants to win right now, let's see where Pittsburgh is at the deadline and he could go there as a rental.... That being said, Ottawa can get more from a team that wants to keep Karlsson long term.

10. Islanders- I had a tough time putting them on this list because they are a solid club and are only getting better. HOWEVER the arena situation puts the team in limbo as far as being an attractive option. They definitely won't stay at Barclays which is terrible for hockey anyway.

Regarding the Devils. Yeah we were supposed to suck this year... and will definitely suck soon if we play too many games like tonight without Hall, Johansson, and Palmieri in the lineup. HOWEVER. This team has taken a sharp turn upwards with the emergence of Bratt, Hischier, and Butcher... Hall is playing like a freaking beast and Johansson was playing his best hockey before getting hurt. The Devils are a good team. The biggest need is a second line center that should be filled by McLeod or Zacha... whichever doesn't get traded to Ottawa. I know people like to think of New Jersey as an unattractive location... however.... this is New York City. Prudential Center is like 5-7 miles or so away from Madison Square Garden. Plus we have our own attractive areas like Jersey City or Hoboken where many Devils, Red Bulls, Giants, Jets, and famous people live. Jersey has some of the most affluent suburbs in the country for wealthy people to live in and also some of the best private schools in the country. Besides the arena being in Newark, a player never has to deal with anything related to Newark as far as living and getting around. If Shero keeps this team at the same pace regarding this rebuild and re-tooling, the Devils will be a contender much sooner than people here would like to admit. Karlsson would be the exact piece that could get the Devils there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm guessing every team in Canada, with the possible exception of the Leafs. And it's all about taxes.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Karlsson has a smoke model wife and I bet they want to go tropical. He also doesnt strike me as a guy who cares about winning that much either. Sure he "wants" to win, but like a ton of Europeans the desire for the Cup isnt the same as North Americans.

People assuming these players want to go to a place only if their team is good is laughable. Hes going to get paid and be in nice weather.

No trade:
Buffalo
Columbus
Vancouver
Edmonton
Toronto
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Calgary
Montreal
Detroit

HM: NYI and AZ because they're joke franchises with who knows what future.

Why would he put Toronto and Montreal on his list?

Ottawa isn't going to deal him to either team so all he's doing is wasting leverage on possible destinations if he does get traded

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Sanheim Gudas plus Flyers 1st in 2018? Weise for Cap purposes.
Is that a solid offer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->