Rumor: Gregor: Gulutzan and Yawney "Signed, Sealed and Delivered"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Still filled with zero expectations or hope for next season. But at least the signings might help change a few things on the ice.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Interesting. Not a big fan of the move but not dead set against it. Coaching is also largely voodoo and so hard for fans to actually see what impact the coach has with players

Not a fan of Guluztan mostly because he reminds me of Eakins. He seems incredibly hard headed and wants to be the smartest guy in the room at all times. He ran some absolutely dumb defensive pairings for Calgary for long periods and pretty much sunk the team during those times.

That being said, Calgary had abysmal luck this year, especially in the last half of the year. So a part of me does think GG getting fired might have been a rush to judgement to blame the failed year on somebody.

However, again this move screams lazy to me as they just hired a former head coach and didnt appear to do much searching. But again, its assistant coaches so how much impact do they really have

I have no idea how this was lazy? We hired Trent Yawney (Defence and PK) and Manny Viveiros (PP), not only GG

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting. Not a big fan of the move but not dead set against it. Coaching is also largely voodoo and so hard for fans to actually see what impact the coach has with players

Not a fan of Guluztan mostly because he reminds me of Eakins. He seems incredibly hard headed and wants to be the smartest guy in the room at all times. He ran some absolutely dumb defensive pairings for Calgary for long periods and pretty much sunk the team during those times.

That being said, Calgary had abysmal luck this year, especially in the last half of the year. So a part of me does think GG getting fired might have been a rush to judgement to blame the failed year on somebody.

However, again this move screams lazy to me as they just hired a former head coach and didnt appear to do much searching. But again, its assistant coaches so how much impact do they really have

With all due respect this post makes little to no sense. So many nonsensical aspects to this.

Case in point GG is nothing like Eakins....nothing. I have no idea how or why you fabricated that nonsense.
Must have been the hair because thats the only similarity.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With all due respect this post makes little to no sense. So many nonsensical aspects to this.

Case in point GG is nothing like Eakins....nothing. I have no idea how or why you fabricated that nonsense.

I wish I had a link to Del's GIF of Eakins' face slowly morphing into Gulutzan's.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mispoke. Didn't mean he wasnt a harder worker. Just the hard work on these guys fighting to further career might push Todd to work hard on becoming a better coach and working on his flaws.

Fair enough. That makes sense.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Fair enough. That makes sense.
He has been pretty much the same his whole career and as the league is changing he needs to adapt and change as well. So I'm hoping with an entirely new group of hard working assistants, he can take that energy and self improve.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We had a worse team a few years prior and Hartley got us to the second round. Gulutzan is a bad coach. If he runs your PK you might see some benefit though. He's very good at the Xs and Os part of the game, just not anything pertaining to player motivation, usage, or generating high quality chances as opposed to just chances in general.
That's fair. As I said I have no idea how good he might be. BUt I would not want him given the HC job just because.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We had a worse team a few years prior and Hartley got us to the second round. Gulutzan is a bad coach. If he runs your PK you might see some benefit though. He's very good at the Xs and Os part of the game, just not anything pertaining to player motivation, usage, or generating high quality chances as opposed to just chances in general.
He is also good at throwing sticks, and I hope we see more of that rather than the Koala who takes everything and doesnt even show emotion.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pretty good experiment in our coaching staff now. I think we all have McLellan completely figured out, how he operated with his BFF's. Everything SJ fans said he was weak at, we all got to see it first hand. His evolution had been stunted for years and he was napping in a comfort zone with his buddies.

Now we get to see how much affect on a HC there is having a boat load of pretty experienced and unique assistants, 2 with NHL HC experience.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Thats just the impression I got. GG comes off as a coach who overthinks things and tries to over-strategize, and Id put Eakins in that category. Its not bad to game plan and try to line-match etc, but theres a point where it is ineffective, and GG hit that point many times

FWIW there is data out there that tracks coaches line matching effectiveness. Last year the bottom 2 for effectiveness were GG and Tmac. Havent dug into the numbers and just saw it on twitter from a respectable source, but I am not surprised to see that- going by what Calgary fans have said for 2 years now

No comment on what GG is like as a head coach because Ive heard many good things before he was Calgarys head coach

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Thats just the impression I got. GG comes off as a coach who overthinks things and tries to over-strategize, and Id put Eakins in that category. Its not bad to game plan and try to line-match etc, but theres a point where it is ineffective, and GG hit that point many times

FWIW there is data out there that tracks coaches line matching effectiveness. Last year the bottom 2 for effectiveness were GG and Tmac. Havent dug into the numbers and just saw it on twitter from a respectable source, but I am not surprised to see that- going by what Calgary fans have said for 2 years now

No comment on what GG is like as a head coach because Ive heard many good things before he was Calgarys head coach

TMac flat out doesn't line match, so him not being effective at it is kind of an oxymoron.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I really hope Viveiros is in fact the last coaching addition - I really am most concerned about whoever is in charge of the powerplay. A team with Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and Ryan Nugent Hopkins has absolutely no excuse for anything but an excellent powerplay. Viveiros' track record in that regard is really exciting.

Reactions: A91

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I wish I had a link to Del's GIF of Eakins' face slowly morphing into Gulutzan's.
8vYQ4id.gif

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I really hope Viveiros is in fact the last coaching addition - I really am most concerned about whoever is in charge of the powerplay. A team with Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and Ryan Nugent Hopkins has absolutely no excuse for anything but an excellent powerplay. Viveiros' track record in that regard is really exciting.

With RNH and McDavids recovery from Ales Hemsky "never shoot" syndrome proving they can score goals I hope we go with them together on the PP. I've always been a fan of stacking the 1st unit and playing them 1:30 of the PP.
RNH, McDavid, Draisaitl, Pulju and Klefbom.
Makes too much sense.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
With RNH and McDavids recovery from Ales Hemsky "never shoot" syndrome proving they can score goals I hope we go with them together on the PP. I've always been a fan of stacking the 1st unit and playing them 1:30 of the PP.
RNH, McDavid, Draisaitl, Pulju and Klefbom.
Makes too much sense.

I don't mind that PP unit, but I think you need to set McDavid up on the left half boards instead of the right. You can't just have Pulju as the trigger man. Do what the Jets do with Wheeler. He's the QB on the right board as a right shot but it opens up Buff, Scheifele and Laine as one time options for him (all right shots).

McDavid is no longer a one-time option, but it opens up Klef, RNH and Drai for it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

What you are doing is creating a narrative that has no basis in reality.

Reactions: Aerchon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the hair
must be the hair

100%
The hair is similar so therefore their coaching tendencies must be the same. LOL

I mean I get that we wanted GG to fail because he was the Flames coach but the Eakins comp was ridiculous from the get go. It was lazy.
At least the hair thing is funny. :D The Del gif is gold. :nod:

This is really nothing more than a few posters who were trying to invent anything they could to tarnish GG as a coach.
So here we are now and its like if something is repeated enough then people will actually start to believe it regardless of how dumb it is.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The whole GG is like Dallas Eakins retoric was completely and utterly fabricated by Oilers fans to raz Flames fans. The two are not similiar in any way that I personally have heard or seen.

I think the Flames under Hartley were a one dimensional heavy pinching offense first team withoit any defensive structure. Under GG he had them playing responsible structured hockey that got them into the playoffs. They improved far more than I ever thought possible in a relatively short time.

Eakins took a team slowly improving and made them worse in every way especially in terms of defensive systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad