Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights 2, Penguins 1 - It's Lit

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, the Penguins should just keep doing what they've been doing and not change anything. Sure, let's ignore that Hornqvist is gone after the year, doesn't fit at all in the top-6, plays a position of vast depth and probably inconveniences the Penguins due to his inability to play the other wing. Let's just say no to moving a perfectly logical guy to trade because he works hard and is gritty.
everything wrong. Penguins are in trouble exactly because they are not doing what they were doing. Dislike your post

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A. Is not a reason to trade him

Yes it is, it's a perfectly logical reason to move him. It's not the primary reason, but it is a reason.

B. Not being able to play a position he’s never played in his career is not a reason to trade him.

Yes it is, considering the Penguins are very deep on RW and very much need help on LW.

C. He’s not stopping Rust from being a RW and they are different players.

He kinda is, though, unless you're either putting Rust with Crosby (which no one likes) or you're putting Hornqvist with Crosby (which Crosby apparently doesn't like).

D. “Apparently”

It's "apparently" with a lot of support for that being the case.

E. He’s a free agent who has been offered a contract already so I’m not sure why you say probably won’t re-sign.

Because litearlly every Penguins beat writer is saying he probably won't re-sign because the Penguins won't give him the term he wants.

He’s a playoff warrior.

It doesn't matter if he's a playoff warrior if the Penguins don't even make the playoffs.

He has a skill we can’t replace. He’s the most intense guy on our team. He doesn’t stop quitting on a shift. The best goalie we faced in last years playoffs was the series Horny was injured that’s no coincidence (yes there are other factors).

The Penguins are going to have to replace him already when he leaves for another team in 7 months, and "intensity" doesn't win games if you're not putting the puck in the net. If Hornqvist can't play a position where you actually need "grit" (which is Malkin's RW), why does it even matter if he has "grit"? At this point, the only significant reason you keep him is his importance on the powerplay unit. "Actually giving a damn" shouldn't be a justification to keep a player.

We are going for a cup run and Hornqvist is going to help us more than what he’ll be traded for.

This team is not built to go for a cup run, and I don't think making small moves changes that either.

The justifications I'm seeing for keeping Hornqvist seem really familiar to the justifications that I saw when people were defending the Kunitz and Dupuis contracts in 2013. "You have to keep him because the Penguins can't replace him", "He works so hard", "He's a heart and soul guy in the locker room"...it all sounds familiar.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
JR has a plan.

Gep4j.gif

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, the Penguins should just keep doing what they've been doing and not change anything. Sure, let's ignore that Hornqvist is gone after the year, doesn't fit at all in the top-6, plays a position of vast depth and probably inconveniences the Penguins due to his inability to play the other wing. Let's just say no to moving a perfectly logical guy to trade because he works hard and is gritty.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Sid was the best Penguin? I would give that honor to Murray or Hags tonight. Heck, I would even throw Cole out there. Maybe. Not Sid.

As for Dumo - he was ****ing horrific. That one play in the neutral he has all of the forwards changing and Letang as a safety net and he flubs it to the Knight. Then.. he isn't quick enough to take a shooting lane away for the goal. Same shift. Brutal. I don't get that.
Yep, Murray. But Sid was at least "OK" in this game and didn´t deserve to be put in the same sentence with Letang, DUMO, GENO in this game. It´s not Sid´s fault that Dumo can´t finish glorious chance because he has zero skill, it´s not Sid´s fault that 2 other chances were robbed by Fleury, and he hit the crossbar too. He was giving effort, but he was almost alone in the TOP6 with that tonight. So, let´s be fair. I understand that he is a captain and he needs to produce in these close games and that it is natural to look at him as first to blame, but it´s just not deserved this time. And it´s not the first time you did this, this season. Malkin on the other hand, he sucked tonight, plain and simple, sucked. And Dumo .. well I don´t even want to start with him, I agree with you on that front.

Reactions: vodeni

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
sully again with the presser somewhat defensive, with the help of Mackey and Yohe throwing some softballs there...

Reactions: KIRK

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think the key is use him in certain situations (against certain teams) not as an everyday player.
I don't think Ryan Reaves has shit to do with the blues being better this year. Put him back on that team and they are in the same place.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I remember people saying the same thing 2 years ago.

It's no longer about individual players. Pick a night. Some suck. Some suck less. It's not about that anymore. 6 weeks ago, maybe. BUT, because nothing small was done then (and there may have been nothing to do, I'll grant that), it has devolved into a situation where the team is in a coma. Only the GM can fix that . . . and I told all of you on Tuesday that JR, while pissed at individuals, accepted that greater truth on Monday evening.

It's coming. I know that. And, you know that. Only questions are how big he goes and whether it's for better or worse, because he's not punting on this season.
As long as things are done with an eye on the future as well as the present. We are not in a position to go for any UFA's, and our 1st should be lottery protected if we use it now. We need to try now and then revisit at the deadline before writing off the season. If we are out at the deadline, then move the UFA's for futures, still way too early to throw in the towel this year.

JR has the trade avenue as well as calling up a few hungry guys who will fight to keep a spot in the NHL. The team needs to be woken with a bucket of cold water dumped on their head.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Yes it is, it's a perfectly logical reason to move him. It's not the primary reason, but it is a reason.

Yes it is, considering the Penguins are very deep on RW and very much need help on LW.

He kinda is, though, unless you're either putting Rust with Crosby (which no one likes) or you're putting Hornqvist with Crosby (which Crosby apparently doesn't like).

It's "apparently" with a lot of support for that being the case.

Because litearlly every Penguins beat writer is saying he probably won't re-sign because the Penguins won't give him the term he wants.

It doesn't matter if he's a playoff warrior if the Penguins don't even make the playoffs.

The Penguins are going to have to replace him already when he leaves for another team in 7 months, and "intensity" doesn't win games if you're not putting the puck in the net. If Hornqvist can't play a position where you actually need "grit" (which is Malkin's RW), why does it even matter if he has "grit"? At this point, the only significant reason you keep him is his importance on the powerplay unit. "Actually giving a damn" shouldn't be a justification to keep a player.

This team is not built to go for a cup run, and I don't think making small moves changes that either.

The justifications I'm seeing for keeping Hornqvist seem really familiar to the justifications that I saw when people were defending the Kunitz and Dupuis contracts in 2013. "You have to keep him because the Penguins can't replace him", "He works so hard", "He's a heart and soul guy in the locker room"...it all sounds familiar.

The justification for keeping Hornqvist is that he’s a very good player and we don’t have a lot of his type (you need diversity). He’s scoring goals. He’s produced consistently over his whole career. We should re-sign him.

He’s going to return a rental price and we will lose on the trade without making us better. There are other ways.

We aren’t deep with proven RW’s.

Reactions: Uemoda

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
- traveling to Vegas to see this shit bag team

- Jimmy, get off your lazy ass and start fixing this team

-Southwest Airlines for allowing 400lbs person to buy only seat and taking up half of my seat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of Reaves. Reaves plays 5 minutes a night and generally does nothing. It sucks because he's an awful player, but he's only playing a twelfth of the game. If you can't score more than 1 goal in the remaining 55 minutes, I think that says more about how much your team sucks. Playing Reaves on the 4th line shouldn't happen, but Reaves on the 4th line is far from the biggest issue on this team right now.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I don't think Ryan Reaves has **** to do with the blues being better this year. Put him back on that team and they are in the same place.

I'm not going to say that I disagree with that but I guess my point here is 1 guy can change a whole dynamic. It happens.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
+Pens fans turnout. 10-1 easy. It was a home game on the road.

-Malkin. That guy was coasting all night.
-Sheary. Ugh
-Letang-Trade him
-Vegas fans above us throwing popcorn

Besides Murray, I thought Sid was the best player.

Reactions: Will Hunting

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Apparently, I am ignorant and looking for excuses saying Pens are exhausted after all the hockey they have played because teams have won 4 cups in a row in the past and the NHL is not any different now compared to the 80's and so on and they got no excuses.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I don't know why people are making such a big deal out of Reaves. Reaves plays 5 minutes a night and generally does nothing. It sucks because he's an awful player, but he's only playing a twelfth of the game. If you can't score more than 1 goal in the remaining 55 minutes, I think that says more about how much your team sucks. Playing Reaves on the 4th line shouldn't happen, but Reaves on the 4th line is far from the biggest issue on this team right now.

I think the main problem with that is our better players have to make up those minutes when we should be trying to play them a little less. It’s not the biggest thing but it all adds up.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We're currently 29th out of 31 teams in 5-on-5 goals-for.

And having watched a lot of our games this year, finding out we weren't dead last was actually a pleasant surprise.

Aside from how terrible the team defense is, the fact this team can't score at 5 on 5 to save their lives has been one of the most frustrating things to watch this season.

The fact that a team boasting Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist, Sheary, Letang, Schultz, etc. is currently 29th out of 31 teams at even strength is mind boggling (not based on their performance, but based on the on-ice talent coming into the season).

Reactions: Warm Cookies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad