Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights 2, Penguins 1 - It's Lit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's just asinine for JR to go and spend a ton of assets for a 3C when his coach refuses to keep a unit of Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist together that showed a lot of promise and even produced together, just to put Horny on his off wing, it's just f***ing stupid and it f***ing pisses me off that they have this kid that has turned a huge corner (that pass to Hags and then Hags to Cole was fantastic, Sheahan has been doing nifty things like that but to the worst wingers after Sheary and Horny were taken away).

Sullivan pisses me off more than anything, don't open your loud ass mouth and then talk about accountability and then contradict your stupid ass with everything you do after. Just shut the f*** up and walk the walk.

I've seen my company try to hold someone accountable, after losing millions in a few accounts, they finally canned his ass, it was just amusing as hell for them to preach accountability in each quarterly meeting and then allow that to happen so consistently. In sports, your product is in performance, it's painfully obvious and when you so blindly ignore it and then address it and then continue to ignore it, you're that lame ass parent that huffs and puffs and you just call their bluff and do your own shit anyway. That's the Penguins this entire season.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If the Blues win the cup this year then Flyer fans will have to watch another one of their former hoist it, especially with the way he has played.

If it ain't us, I'd love for it to be the Blues.

Hate the talk around here about dealing Hornqvist..dude is irreplaceable and is in a tier with Sid, Geno, and Murray as players I'm not dealing.

Reactions: vodeni

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Only positive tonight is the 3rd line. Namely, Hagelin and Sheahan with strong games.
Murray did a fine job in his return.

About the rest... Top 6 sucked and 4th line barely saw the ice.
Not much good, if any, from the blue line as well.

Also, who would've guessed that line of Hornqvist-Malkin-Kessel would suck... They barely possessed the puck for more than 30 seconds. Bad game from all three guys, but of course many posters on here would just single out 71, not surprising.

Btw, Guentzel and Hagelin are the only options that work with Malkin and Kessel. Line of 59-71-81 was practically killing it, before Sullivan broke it up. He does everything to help the 1st line get going and almost the opposite with the 2nd line. But nice to see Guentzel working well on both lines and having chemestry with both centers.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The fact that we can't score 5v5 is a little concerning and embarrassing.

This team thinks it can just coast to victories on the powerplay. Oops.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin is a saint. He has been jobbed so hard on this team it's ridiculous. Outside of Kessel being a mainstay, literally any iteration of a duo of wingers for him have been moved to make way for more Crosby wingers.

Crosby has been shit this season. He should be f***ing ashamed of his performance and as a leader.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I disagree with the notion that one move can't turn things around. Unfortunately it just has to be a big move. If we had a third center that would be a legit top 6 center anywhere else, we could divide up time to rest Sid and Geno, plus get three scoring lines and improve our overall bottom six bumping Sheahan down.

Who that's going to be and what it would cost are obviously the big questions. But I think that's the solution. To win the cup this year, it's going to have to take something bold.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
About trades. For me only 87, 71, 30 and 59 are on the list of untouchables.

I also think that current problems not just effort of the players and line configurations/players mix, but also some systematic issues from the coaching staff. Like ColePens mentioned in some of the post game threads, it's hard to understand what they try to accomplish on breakouts. They struggle to get the puck moving out of the zone. Instead of skating the puck out as a unit or try shorter passes/better support, they try longer passes from DZ to NZ that don't connect or with a player on a receiving part standing still and being well covered, which leads to turnovers.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I disagree with the notion that one move can't turn things around. Unfortunately it just has to be a big move. If we had a third center that would be a legit top 6 center anywhere else, we could divide up time to rest Sid and Geno, plus get three scoring lines and improve our overall bottom six bumping Sheahan down.

Who that's going to be and what it would cost are obviously the big questions. But I think that's the solution. To win the cup this year, it's going to have to take something bold.

Our 6 best forwards are all playing more minutes (except Geno). That is not helping a fatigued team. The reason they are is because our other 6 forwards have scored 12 goals combined.

A couple of bottom 6 forwards in the off season would have helped there (or at least early in the season). A strong LW and a better 3C pushes others down and makes the 3rd and 4th lines better. If they can chip in offensively then the others don’t have to play so much and hopefully they have more impact (5 on 5). The more impactful we can be on offense the less time we’ll be defending and we can dare I say it “get back to our game”

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This needs quoted over and over again. We all thought bottom 6 was going to be THE issue this year. It's not. If JR is going to salvage this year, he needs a monster shakeup deal, and it's not out there to be had.

One move will not fix this team with how they are playing. I'd honestly rather them just take it this year and recharge for next. The monster deal they'd need is just not out there.

And it's also insanely unfair to sit here and blame JR solely when you have Letang, Dumo, Geno, Sid, etc. playing like they did tonight.

I would contend that it is. Well 5v5 scoring in general is an issue, but Sid/Geno/Kessel/Guentzel/Horny are still scoring at acceptable rates overall even if it's mostly via the PP.

Last year we had Bones/Cullen putting up 30 points a piece. This year Sheahan may do that, and after him we're getting absolutely nothing. Carter Rowney is a 13th F at best. He can play acceptable defensively but has zero scoring ability. Hags looks even worse offensively this year than last. We have nobody replacing what scoring Wilson brought. Sheary is having a way worse year than he did last year.

Schultz has also been awful offensively, and last year we leaned on him big time for points.

I'd say it mostly boils down to most of our bottom six being horrendous and Schultz/Sheary taking big steps back offensively.

As frustrated as I am with Sid/Geno right now it's not on them. They're still putting up the points.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it's panic time mainly because we failed to take advantage of that home stand we had. I figured we'd be just fine at home, but instead we lost two games we should have won, and now we laid an egg vs Vegas.

Two more on the road vs Arizona and Colorado and I have little confidence we come out of that 2-0. 1-1 maybe.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Do you have an idea(s)?
Kessel has been too good to move
Crosby isn't going anywhere unless he starts scoring on his own net every game
Malkin is probably still injured and they probably don't want to move him...
Letang is the logical move but you are likely selling at 80% value or less right now

I think jake has too much value to move as a goalscorer

Sheary is everyones trade bait, but i feel like they value Rust less so he would go first

Hagelin just started contributing again, but selling while his play looks ok isn't the worse plan

I dread losing Hornqvist unless the return is awesome

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
As far as the game itself, it's obvious that Vegas has a lot of depth, were rolling lines, winning 50 50 battles, and stripping us of the puck. They out worked us, and made it easy. Fixing our bottom six would help.

As far as coach firings, obviously Sully is safe. What about Martin though? Not saying he's to blame, but our entire d is struggling. Besides Maata, no one has really had a good year so far. That would also be a fairly big shake up. Thoughts there?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
As far as the game itself, it's obvious that Vegas has a lot of depth, were rolling lines, winning 50 50 battles, and stripping us of the puck. They out worked us, and made it easy. Fixing our bottom six would help.

As far as coach firings, obviously Sully is safe. What about Martin though? Not saying he's to blame, but our entire d is struggling. Besides Maata, no one has really had a good year so far. That would also be a fairly big shake up. Thoughts there?

I think our D is built on the idea that we have waves of attack in our top 9 and a solid 4th line. We don’t have a 3 line attack now or a solid 4th line so we don’t sustain that pressure. The pressure falls back on our D who aren’t a great defensive defense unit. Our best forwards are playing more minutes which probably impacts their efficiency at 5 on 5 hockey.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Trading Hornqvist now is akin to waving a white flag on the season.

We only look at this If we are out of the playoffs by the deadline. We would move him because we can't/won't sign him.
The return? hopefully a first round pick (this gives us 2 which I have to say, I'm giddy at the thought of owning 2 1st's). This would be a late 1st.

The move would also open a spot for Sprong(mainly I think) or adjusting the lineup to fit Archibald.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We only look at this If we are out of the playoffs by the deadline. We would move him because we can't/won't sign him.
The return? hopefully a first round pick (this gives us 2 which I have to say, I'm giddy at the thought of owning 2 1st's). This would be a late 1st.

The move would also open a spot for Sprong(mainly I think) or adjusting the lineup to fit Archibald.

If you trade Hornqvist, it'll be near impossible to find a guy of the same ilk.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Of course he is impossible to replace.But if he isn't going to resign and we are out by the deadline then you have to trade him or lose him for nothing.

I don’t think we are out at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad