How is the Atlantic Division trending?

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I see the division trending toward a muddle of parity, with no upper, middle, or lower tier of teams. The best teams are declining but not falling off a cliff; the worst teams are improving but also gradually, and none have a game-changing superstar on the horizon; and all are constrained by the cap.

By the 2026/2027 season, I think it will be hard to predict which 4 or so teams from the Atlantic will make the playoffs.

2024/2025 season: Panthers and Leafs will be there, and probably Boston; but that 4th (and maybe 5th) playoff spot could go to any of the remaining 5 teams and I wouldn't be surprised.

2025/2026: Panthers for sure, all remaining spots wide open

2026/2027: Anything goes, the top 4 teams in order might be Montreal, Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa; or it could be the other 4 teams. And I don't mean it's just hard to predict right now -- I mean at the start of the 2026/2027 season, all 8 teams will be in the same tier.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Next year it will be the SUPER STRONG division, because there's no weak teams.

All those earlier contenders are still good and all those rebuilders are going up. Even Montreal. Their kid defencemen could do a fast turnaround.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Trending heavily in favor of the Panthers right now!

They don’t have any prospects really. But then again neither has Boston for like 5 years and it hasn’t slowed them down any.

Winning culture just breeds more winning it seems and Florida have found that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think this summer is the most important for SY

Florida and Toronto will remain at the top for next 3 seasons

Boston and Tampa will slide a bit but with Tampas core they will hang around much like we did 2012-2016

Ottawa and Buffalo should improve but I can see the curse of Buffalo continuing indefinitely, whereas Ottawa with new ownership and mgmt will sort itself out..

Montreal has done a great job..the biggest hurdle there will be convincing stars, it's own and others, to want to sign and play in Mtl longterm(amazing or awful depending on how the wind is blowing)

This is why this summer is so important for Detroit...a miss step or too big of a step backwards and we could be in trouble..we need to continue the upward trajectory or else we run the risk of being passed in short order..

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Florida and Toronto will remain at the top for next 3 seasons
This is the only part where I'm not in lock step with you. Florida, yes. But if Toronto can't get out of the first round, sooner or later they're going to make changes. And how they handle that shake up will say a lot about whether they stick around for several more years or slide back towards the middle of the pack.

Honestly, unless they get a top pairing defensemen when they deal Marner (or Tavares or Matthews), the Leafs don't scare me.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This is the only part where I'm not in lock step with you. Florida, yes. But if Toronto can't get out of the first round, sooner or later they're going to make changes. And how they handle that shake up will say a lot about whether they stick around for several more years or slide back towards the middle of the pack.

Honestly, unless they get a top pairing defensemen when they deal Marner (or Tavares or Matthews), the Leafs don't scare me.

I don't think Marner gets dealt no matter what happens...I'd evensay he resigns 8 years @ 11m again...

JT will resign next summer but at 1/3 his current cap hit.. 3 ×3.5-4m

Cap will go up over 90m with alot of cap space to add

So long as Matthews, Nylander and Marner are there, TML will be a playoff team

Reactions: Crunchy

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I think Florida is in a strong position to remain at the top for the next two years, as long as Bobrovsky plays well and they can stay away from major injuries. Bobrosvky is 35 and only has two years left on his deal. And they have some serious salary concerns over the next couple of years to try and remain competitive.

Boston is going to remain competitive, because they always seem to make it work.

Tampa is in the slow grind of regression, mostly because they don't have the assets to make bold moves. They spent a lot of their draft capital on Jeannot, Paul, and Hagel. They also have some big issues with signing players coming over the next 3-4 years as their superstars start to come closer to the ends of their careers.

Toronto is a crapshoot. Depending on what happens this summer, could shape their fortunes for the next 5+ years. Even with a 69 goal year from Matthews, there was legitimate concern that they might not make the playoffs up until Detroit ran into that bad losing streak in March. If Toronto regresses at all, things could get dicey for them.

I think Buffalo and Ottawa are lost. They have talent but no cohesive understanding of how to make it work consistently enough. They're not in perma-rebuild, but until Ottawa's organization has its feet down and they can establish a proper plan, it's going to remain ugly. And Buffalo doesn't know how to not shoot themselves in the foot. The Ruff re-hiring was mind-boggling and just another reminder that the Pegula's have no clue how a hockey organization should be run.

Montreal, for me, is a real diamond in the rough. The emergence of Slavkovsky, combined with the general trend of their players, combined with their stockpile of prospects and defensemen, are going to be a team to watch out for in the next couple of years. They already play teams extremely hard, but just lack the forward depth and the experience to win the 10 more games they need to make the playoffs.

Detroit needs to figure out its defense, going forward, to take the next step in their evolution. They are knocking on the door, and having Edvinsson for a full season SHOULD put them over the edge, but if they can solve the Holl/Petry issues, I think they could be a 100 point team, next year.

TLDR:

Florida should stay the same for the next 2-3 years before they start to fall back a bit.

Boston should remain competitive but not superlative, running anywhere from 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in the division from year to year.

Toronto, if things stay with the same delusional theme, should start to fall off. If they make sensbile/bold moves, they could start to challenge Florida.

Tampa is on a slow decline and having Kucherov throwing a career year like he did and they still were a wildcard team, doesn't bode well for them.

Detroit should improve and make the playoffs, next year, and for years to come.

Montreal will start rising from the bottom of the Atlantic this year.

Ottawa just doesn't have the defensive pieces to contend and they need to figure out what their ownership wants to do moving forward.

Buffalo is just nowhere, for me. Even when everything seemed to be going well for them, two years ago, they still couldn't sustain it. Just a real Jekyll/Hyde of a team, that I don't think has the organizational structure to allow them to be successful.

Reactions: jkutswings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Florida is in a strong position to remain at the top for the next two years, as long as Bobrovsky plays well and they can stay away from major injuries. Bobrosvky is 35 and only has two years left on his deal. And they have some serious salary concerns over the next couple of years to try and remain competitive.

Boston is going to remain competitive, because they always seem to make it work.

Tampa is in the slow grind of regression, mostly because they don't have the assets to make bold moves. They spent a lot of their draft capital on Jeannot, Paul, and Hagel. They also have some big issues with signing players coming over the next 3-4 years as their superstars start to come closer to the ends of their careers.

Toronto is a crapshoot. Depending on what happens this summer, could shape their fortunes for the next 5+ years. Even with a 69 goal year from Matthews, there was legitimate concern that they might not make the playoffs up until Detroit ran into that bad losing streak in March. If Toronto regresses at all, things could get dicey for them.

I think Buffalo and Ottawa are lost. They have talent but no cohesive understanding of how to make it work consistently enough. They're not in perma-rebuild, but until Ottawa's organization has its feet down and they can establish a proper plan, it's going to remain ugly. And Buffalo doesn't know how to not shoot themselves in the foot. The Ruff re-hiring was mind-boggling and just another reminder that the Pegula's have no clue how a hockey organization should be run.

Montreal, for me, is a real diamond in the rough. The emergence of Slavkovsky, combined with the general trend of their players, combined with their stockpile of prospects and defensemen, are going to be a team to watch out for in the next couple of years. They already play teams extremely hard, but just lack the forward depth and the experience to win the 10 more games they need to make the playoffs.

Detroit needs to figure out its defense, going forward, to take the next step in their evolution. They are knocking on the door, and having Edvinsson for a full season SHOULD put them over the edge, but if they can solve the Holl/Petry issues, I think they could be a 100 point team, next year.

TLDR:

Florida should stay the same for the next 2-3 years before they start to fall back a bit.

Boston should remain competitive but not superlative, running anywhere from 2nd, 3rd, or 4th in the division from year to year.

Toronto, if things stay with the same delusional theme, should start to fall off. If they make sensbile/bold moves, they could start to challenge Florida.

Tampa is on a slow decline and having Kucherov throwing a career year like he did and they still were a wildcard team, doesn't bode well for them.

Detroit should improve and make the playoffs, next year, and for years to come.

Montreal will start rising from the bottom of the Atlantic this year.

Ottawa just doesn't have the defensive pieces to contend and they need to figure out what their ownership wants to do moving forward.

Buffalo is just nowhere, for me. Even when everything seemed to be going well for them, two years ago, they still couldn't sustain it. Just a real Jekyll/Hyde of a team, that I don't think has the organizational structure to allow them to be successful.
I would have liked this post a dozen times if I could. Spot on.

Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
There is no way this team is trending to the top. They’re a one line team currently and pretty threadbare in elite talent. They’ll likely be a wildcard team for a few seasons till Larkin declines.
I legitimately wouldn't expect you to have any other opinion.

Reactions: Frk It

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I'm not as optimistic about where are right now as some others. All 3 teams that should be exiting the rebuild in the Atlantic seem a bit stuck. Ottawa's D + G is a mess, Buffalo is full of talent everywhere but their secondary roster construction (bottom 6, middle/bottom pairing D) is a complete mess, and there are alot of questions about what our front office actually thinks of our prospects, we might be turning more than a few vets this year, and we can only dress two top 4 dmen every single night as of right now until Edvinsson gets a full shot out of camp next season and proves he can fill one of those roles.

Still too early re: Montreal but I don't see them as particularly close either.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
It’s still a bloodbath, going to be a blood bath for a long time. Even the teams aging out still have quite a bit of talent. The worst part for us is the teams ahead of us all play a style that decimates us everytime we play it. High skilled, in your face forechecking teams that like to hit a lot. It’s why Ottawa has done so well against us the last 2 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad