Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights 2, Penguins 1 - It's Lit

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Reminds me of the MJ winter of discontent.

Exactly . . . but you can't fire the coach, which is why JR has to go big or go home. You need something as cumulatively impactful as firing Johnston, Scuds for Daley, and Perron for Hags.

One other thing . . . this isn't about individual players right now. Some guys look like crap. Some guys look relatively less crappy. But, overall it's a team in a coma. Guys trying harder isn't what fixes a team in a hole like this.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
that's fine so long as the team is all-in for throwing in the towel I guess. But if your goal is to win this year, don't trade Horny. I hope we try to fix the team, not accept we just suck and try to build for next year.

At this point, no one should assume this team is going to do anything this year. If you're going to assume they're not going to turn it around, trade Hornqvist and get ready for next year.

At this point, I really don't see a justification to keep Hornqvist unless you're re-signing him immediately. The team is either going to suck and you trade Hornqvist in the name of asset management, or this team is going to be good and you trade Hornqvist to fix other serious flaws on your roster, with the logic that he doesn't fit in your top-6 (due to Crosby not liking to play with him) and his position inflexibility is enough of a justification to move him. If he's not re-signed by the new year, I'm looking to move him if I was JR.

Reactions: farscape1

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This team just isn't very good.

Its slow boring and hard to watch.

JR needs to sell sell sell, get some assets for Horny and Cole and try again next year.

I'm coming around to thinking that a trade or two may not do much...maybe it's better to stink, get another first, and load up again with hopefully a lottery pick...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Getting a C and LW isnt enough to fix this team. You gotta wake these guys up. Trade someone that makes everyone in that room say oh ****.

Depends on who that C and LW are. I think Sully should go back to Sid, Geno and Phil on separate lines too. Seems like he doesn’t trust who we have to do that right now.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Exactly . . . but you can't fire the coach, which is why JR has to go big or go home. You need something as cumulatively impactful as firing Johnston, Scuds for Daley, and Perron for Hags.

One other thing . . . this isn't about individual players right now. Some guys look like crap. Some guys look relatively less crappy. But, overall it's a team in a coma. Guys trying harder isn't what fixes a team in a hole like this.

To fix this you have to trade someone like maatta dont you? Guys like sheary, Cole IMO dont have the same impact.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
vegas-3.png

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Game over. JR/Sully's plan for the season has failed. It's not time to re-think things. It's time to do those things.

What i meant by this was the expectation that just having your big dogs in the lineup would allow you to pick up wins and points.

Yes, i agree ALOT of this is on the players BUT the facts are
out: Bones, Cullen, Kunitz, Daley, Hainsey
guys who took their spots: Sheahan, McKegg and Rowney, Kuhnackl, Hunwick, Reaves.
That simply wasn't good enough and could've been better, imo.

Now Jimmy's in a very weak dealing position unless a few teams out there highly covet the expendable pieces. Let's hope thats the case.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
At this point, no one should assume this team is going to do anything this year. If you're going to assume they're not going to turn it around, trade Hornqvist and get ready for next year.

At this point, I really don't see a justification to keep Hornqvist unless you're re-signing him immediately. The team is either going to suck and you trade Hornqvist in the name of asset management, or this team is going to be good and you trade Hornqvist to fix other serious flaws on your roster, with the logic that he doesn't fit in your top-6 (due to Crosby not liking to play with him) and his position inflexibility.
It would have been really easy to think the same thing in 2009, 2015, or 2016. Glad we still tried to win those years.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
+ um, I got a honey baked ham from someone our work does business with today, so that's good?

- the Penguins just don't care about hockey right now
- blind passes
- no leadership and no drive from the stars
- I stayed up until 12:30 watching this lazy team fart up and down the ice
- there isn't a shake-up this team could possibly make that will wake them up; they're cooked

I switched to Geico....

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
One of the most concerning thing about this season is how consistently Sullivan has been out coached by the other team. Also his beyond idiotic usage of his line up.

Better not trade that first Rutherford, we're gonna need a higher first to draft some more cheap talent.
I'm not even excited about them having a middle-of-the-round 1st round pick (that's where it will be because they're not going to lose enough to have a solid top-5 pick unless they win the lottery). They will need to pick someone very high up to make it really count.
Getting a C and LW isnt enough to fix this team. You gotta wake these guys up. Trade someone that makes everyone in that room say oh ****.
I think they would have to trade Letang to do that, and they won't have the stones for it. It's sad, too, because I would think Letang has some staggering value in the league for what he is.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens losing close games since Malkin and Sid can't over come one goal games. I think you need to consider that this year is simply hard to win a third cup and make the changes going forward that sets up a decent chance but gives the team a good chance to win next year. Hags. Sheary, one of Olli and Cole hate that but trading another D man makes Cole a priority.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Doesn't this happen pretty much every year, though? Team looks like ass for an extended period, although it's usually in January. Not to say there aren't issues, but it seems to be a pattern.

Well, if we're sure Sid and Geno are Untouchable, that pretty much leaves trading Letang as the only option.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not even mad. I'm just very disappointed.

This team probably hit the proverbial wall. They couldn't afford to do so with the roster they had. The defense is making laughable mistakes. That Dumo play and then he doesn't even get to his guy in the d-zone is common each game from all of our defenders. Just laughable. Idiotic plays all over the ice. No focus.

Honestly it's probably best we don't make moves, get a nice long offseason, and recharge for the comeback.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It would have been really easy to think the same thing in 2009, 2015, or 2016. Glad we still tried to win those years.

Well you're not going to fire the coach, so 2009 and 2015 are out, and the team was good in 2016, so I don't even know how that's comparable.

We had this discussion yesterday or the day before and watching Hornqvist look like a fish out of water enforced it even further for me. If Hornqvist isn't re-signed, he should be viewed as a trade chip. If he's re-signed, you obviously don't move him, but he should be fair game until then.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am afraid that coaches kind of exhausted the message here, whatever worked before its not woeking now, we got to get to our game is not working. also lines suck, when ZSimon is your Sid's winger that reeks of desperation, when Rust is buried on 4th line thats cluelessnes, when you put Geno Kessel and Horny on LW that is just lets throw everything at a wal and whatever sticks,
and our perenial Norris candidate and other 5 buddies on defense, they are just bad

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Glad I stayed up for that. They suck out loud right now.

Let’s see what ya got, Jimmy.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

At this point, I really don't see a justification to keep Hornqvist unless you're re-signing him immediately. The team is either going to suck and you trade Hornqvist in the name of asset management, or this team is going to be good and you trade Hornqvist to fix other serious flaws on your roster, with the logic that he doesn't fit in your top-6 (due to Crosby not liking to play with him) and his position inflexibility is enough of a justification to move him. If he's not re-signed by the new year, I'm looking to move him if I was JR.

No GM going for a threepeat would ever think like that. You make some smart trades and go for it. Trading Hornqvist while you are trying to win the cup isn’t smart.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Doesn't this happen pretty much every year, though? Team looks like ass for an extended period, although it's usually in January. Not to say there aren't issues, but it seems to be a pattern.

Well, if we're sure Sid and Geno are Untouchable, that pretty much leaves trading Letang as the only option.

Maybe Maatta if you're making a few other moves, but yeah, JR is in a bind now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well you're not going to fire the coach, so 2009 and 2015 are out, and the team was good in 2016, so I don't even know how that's comparable.
I mean yeah, the record was good. But it would have been really easy to see Letang go out. Though I guess we sort of did in terms of trades last year.

But we also did more than fire the coach those years. We traded for Kunitz, Guerin, Daley, Hagelin, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad